The Coolest Manicure Ever

by Courtney on October 20, 2011

I must say, there are some pretty fun perks that come with working part time at a salon:

• Plenty of opportunities to people watch
  • There’s always something to talk about/gossip about
  • Every once in a while, I get to work with my mom
  • All of the girls I work with are great

Out of all the perks, though, I’d probably have to say that my favorite one is taking advantage of the services that are offered! A couple of weeks ago, I was able to get myself a Shellac manicure in one of their new fall colors, Asphalt.

IMG_8749IMG_8750

I got these done a few days before Josh & Erika’s wedding and it they ended up matching perfect. I’ve always loved dark nail polish colors, but it’s especially awesome starting in the fall season.

While I was getting my nails done a couple weeks ago, I happened to notice some of the fake nails that were in the manicure room that really peaked my interest. Check out some of these awesome designs!

There’s even a scene from the Nightmare Before Christmas in there! Can you spot it?

Of course, with Halloween right around the corner, those were the ones that stood out to me most. Any other holiday, I probably wouldn’t have even considered it, but there’s something super fun and carefree about Halloween that made me say, ok, I want one of those!

So yesterday afternoon, Kelsey got to work on my nails and gave me quite the festive manicure. Can you tell what they are yet?…

Candy Corns!

It’s only fitting right? Since I can’t seem to keep my hands out of em and all…

But really, how freakin’ adorable are they? I don’t care if they look like they would belong on a 10-year old because I think they’re super fun and I am going to sport these babies until they chip off…which, for me, will probably only be able three days. But I won’t worry about that part right now. Winking smile

If you’re a local and are interested in getting yourself your very own Halloween-esque manicure, shoot me an email (sweettoothcourtney[@]gmail[.]com) and I’ll hook you up with some info!

Question for the Afternoon:

What would your ideal manicure look like?

Dark? Light? French? Funky designs?

1 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat October 20, 2011 at 2:05 pm

I am definitely a convert to shellac polish, but I don’t know about Jack the Pumpkin King on my nails! :)
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Three Pumpkin Recipe Thursday

2 Molly@hungryhungryrunner.com October 20, 2011 at 2:08 pm

LOVE that color! I’ve seen lots of people with polish that same color. So fun. I definitely need to get in for a manicure. I forget what a nice little treat it is to get your nails done. And how much better I feel when I look down at my forever-typing hands and see something pretty on the nails! :)
Molly@hungryhungryrunner.com recently posted..Squash It

3 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries October 20, 2011 at 2:08 pm

How adorable are your nails – I LOVE them!! I used to train a client that worked at a salon, and during their “down times” they would always do each other’s nails and hair. She always came into the gym with the cutest nails! That is an awesome perk!

I always love the look of a French manicure. It’s just so natural and clean looking. Every so often, I like a more “daring” color that’s darker, but usually I stick to the “au natural” look. :)
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Breast Cancer Awareness Month

4 Carly October 20, 2011 at 2:10 pm

love love love them!!!! And I love the asphalt color too :)

5 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance October 20, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Oh my GOSH! I can’t believe how teeny tiny the candy corns are!!!
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Things I’m Lovin’ Thursday: Pet Edition

6 Sam @ Sam Bock Illustration & Design October 20, 2011 at 2:17 pm

I love this so much, how adorable!! I definitely want to attempt to recreate! So festive and fun.

I’m really into the new fall Essie line, I think I have them all at this point. Just painted a daaark eggplanty color on my nails and a dark mauve/brownish color on my toes. My nails always echo the seasons, and dark polishes and pretty neutrals like taupe and grey are perfect for the fall and winter!
Sam @ Sam Bock Illustration & Design recently posted..Feels Like Home

7 Ashley @ Good Taste Healthy Me October 20, 2011 at 2:23 pm

I’m really digging the gray color you used. I normally don’t paint my nails but have been feeling the itch lately. It’s just annoying because they chip in two days and then it drives me absolutely crazy! Obviously I get way too worked out about the little things, LOL!
Ashley @ Good Taste Healthy Me recently posted..Book Club

8 Hope October 20, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Your manicure is so cute! I got a gel manicure for the first time back in June and it was great. It lastest a long time! Lately, I’m really into the dark colors. I love getting a french manicure if I have somewhere special to go :)
Hope recently posted..A Butternut Squash Filled Evening…

9 kristen@ livinlifeinlouie October 20, 2011 at 2:25 pm

does the shellac manicure last longer do you think?

10 Courtney October 20, 2011 at 2:30 pm

It definitely lasts longer! I’d say I usually get a good 2 weeks out of a shellac manicure

11 Lindsey October 20, 2011 at 2:40 pm

I like french tipped, plain and boring I know ;) But for my finger nails I think they look weird with color. But I love dark nail polish on other peoples! I am more of a pedicure girl :) And love any bright and fun colors!
Lindsey recently posted..Crockpot Recipes

12 Jess@atasteofconfidence October 20, 2011 at 2:52 pm

So cute. I love it! Looks so realistic.

13 Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill October 20, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Woah! How cool! I love dark nail polish as well…my favorite is usually a plum color!
Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill recently posted..My Gym Enemy

14 Chelcie of Chelcie's Food Files October 20, 2011 at 3:01 pm

ahh I LOVE the manicure..I always wanted to get cool designs on my nails but I literally have the smallest nail beds in the WORLD. and I also have a terrible biting nail habit so that doesn’t help things..
Chelcie of Chelcie’s Food Files recently posted..Apple Pie and Carrot Cake..but oatmeal versions of course:)

15 Sarah October 20, 2011 at 3:43 pm

oh, i have that habit too! And for the longest time- i cant seem to get rid of it. Sorta makes me a little conscious when i go to get my nails done by some one with perfect nails.

16 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life October 20, 2011 at 3:08 pm

That is so flippin’ cute! I wonder if my local mani/pedi place would do something like that if I brought in a picture. This would be so cute for Halloween and trick or treating with my little man. Why is your salon so far upstate?!
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..A Little Leaf Known as Sorrel

17 Mallory @ It's Only Life October 20, 2011 at 3:19 pm

that is SO cute, courtney! you have amazing nail beds… mine are teeny tiny (so are my hands) and i swear the manicurists make fun of them every single time! ok, maybe not “make fun” (although i can’t be sure when they are speaking another language to each other) but they always comment on how small they are. it’s a wonder i can play the piano haha.
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..VitaTop Giveaway Winner!

18 Brittany October 20, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Yay I guessed right!! Do I get a prize? haha just kidding:) Too adorable, love it!
Brittany recently posted..Exciting News

19 Shelly @ Cake is a Food Group October 20, 2011 at 3:29 pm

I love your candy corns! That takes some guts to sport those – way to go! I have naturally really white fingernail tips, so I am always sporting the french manicure look. It works well.
Shelly @ Cake is a Food Group recently posted..A Whole Day in 1 Post

20 Sarah October 20, 2011 at 3:42 pm

oh, i absolutely love the look of french tips- so clean and natural. Its the perfect touch i think, because it goes with everything. But i do like the look of solid dark colors as well. I cannot STAND crackle polish, ICK! Also i hate it when women wear colors that are not flattering to their skin tone. Though, If we all went around sporting french tips, how boring would that be?

21 Caitlin C. October 20, 2011 at 3:54 pm

The candy corns are SO CUTE!!! I am now dying for a manicure – I think I’ll get one this weekend haha. I have been trying to save $$ but I haven’t had one in about 2 months so maybe it’s justified.
On my toes I like to do really bright pinks, reds, and corals. Glittery ones are OK too! I think glitter is too much for fingernails though. I usually try to go lighter on my hands so when the polish chips, it’s less noticeable and I can space out manis more. Again, frugality!
Caitlin C. recently posted..Apple Harvest Festival 2011

22 Holly October 20, 2011 at 4:05 pm

I love ‘em! Not 10- year old-ish at all!! Super cute :) If I lived closer, I would totally email you about getting them done! I think little ghosts would be cute too.
Holly recently posted..Strawberry & Lime

23 Annette @ cookie crumbs and carrot sticks October 20, 2011 at 4:18 pm

I’ve just ordered the magnetic nail polishes – have you seen them?
You paint the colour onto your nails (there are 3 to choose from) and there is a magnet in the top lid of the polish bottle which you hold over the wet nail.
It makes a wave pattern in the polish which you can make go in different ways depending on how you hold the magnet. Looks really good.
It was meant to be a Cristmas present for my sister but I think we’ll have to ‘share’ it – i.e. I keep it ;)
Annette @ cookie crumbs and carrot sticks recently posted..Getting ahead

24 Emmarie @ Bananas and Beer October 20, 2011 at 4:24 pm

That’s so, so cute. And the best part about it, is how it lasts so long. I’m hooked on that gel polish!
Emmarie @ Bananas and Beer recently posted..Our Anniversary

25 Carissa October 20, 2011 at 4:26 pm

cutest. nails. ever. I only have orange and black dots on my toes :( And my husband may have one black and orange toe!! :) heehee!

Very cute candy corns!
Carissa recently posted..Skinny Italian Turkey Lasagna

26 Yolie @ Practising Wellness October 20, 2011 at 4:29 pm

They’re so cool, I love them! Both actually – the candy corn and the dark colour you had before. There’s something so much fun about getting a manicure – I just feel so pampered and feminine and polished…love it! :-) That and a pedicure, which I get once in a blue moon, and I’m in girly heaven, lol! :-P xyx
Yolie @ Practising Wellness recently posted..Ice Cold & Thankful Thursday

27 Maria@La_Piattini October 20, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Cute!!! Love them. I never get manicures because I would pick it all off and just feel it would be a waste for me. Pedicures however I loveeee.
Maria@La_Piattini recently posted..Current Obsessions: October

28 Liz @ Tip Top Shape October 20, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Those are adorable!!! I think my dream manicure would be in a really neutral color–like the nails in wedding ring ads. I always love how put together it looks.
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Inter-Campus Shuttle Love

29 Sweet and Savvy October 20, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Oh my goodness… I need those nails! :)
Sweet and Savvy recently posted..Do you do Dairy? [and a healthy Strawberry Shake!]

30 Erica October 20, 2011 at 6:03 pm

love that asphalt color! and i love the candy corn designs! so cute and festive! :)
the salon i go to does gelish, which i guess is a variation of shellac. i hope they have something close to that gray color!

i love dark/bright nail colors. i had a very neutral nail for my wedding and i couldn’t wait to get a dark color on my nails again. especially on my toes!
Erica recently posted..welcome home!

31 Shayla @ The Good Life October 20, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Awww love your nails!! Too too cute! :)

I’m a french manicure girl…have been since I was 16!
Shayla @ The Good Life recently posted..Live In The Moment

32 Kristen @ notsodomesticated October 20, 2011 at 6:55 pm

The candy corns are adorable, and I love that greyish color of your first manicure! I’m getting a manicure tomorrow before my 10 year high school reunion (crazy!), and I’m thinking I want a grey shade … but I’ll have to see what options they have when I get there. My outfit is black and white, so I have lots of options haha!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Running advice from someone who knows.

33 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles October 20, 2011 at 7:00 pm

Sooooooooooooo cute! I love the butterfly wing ones! That is pretty! Your choice is too cute! :)
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Pumpkin + Granola = Good Idea!

34 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine October 20, 2011 at 7:24 pm

I need to try a Shellac manicure. My nails are constantly chipping.
Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine recently posted..PB2 Love + New Apple Recipe!

35 Liz October 20, 2011 at 8:26 pm

I rarely go get my nails done but I totally would stop everything to go get candy corns painted on them!! That is so awesome :)

36 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake October 20, 2011 at 9:00 pm

I saw the asphalt color the other day when I was getting my Shellac manicure! I went with the dark brown this time, but asphalt is next on my list!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..The Best Cold-Weather Foods

37 Heather October 20, 2011 at 10:09 pm

I love your nails Courtney! I just did mine in Halloween colors, but now I want something fun like that lol My class would get such a kick out of it! Super cute!

38 Pamela October 20, 2011 at 10:17 pm

I love these!! I would totally get the pumpkins. Your manicure looks great! My favorite manicure is bright tropical pink during the summer. I usually stick to cranberry and dark colors in the winter.
Pamela recently posted..See One, Do One, Teach One

39 Khushboo October 20, 2011 at 11:28 pm

Ok I have to say- these are SO cute…and this is coming from the girl who hates nail art…anything goes for Halloween :)
Khushboo recently posted..How I roll

40 Jess @ Jess Go Bananas October 21, 2011 at 9:38 am

I love nude colors! And I work part time at a salon too! :)
Jess @ Jess Go Bananas recently posted..Love Makes Us Young

41 Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! October 21, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Oh my gosh! I love the braest cancer ribbon one from above!
And I love when you get manicures that last a long time! Time to rotate out my brights ummery colors for some darker ones for fall/winter!!
Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! recently posted..Fun Fact Friday 4: The Dog Edition

42 Nicole @ PancakesandPilates October 21, 2011 at 1:05 pm

I thought it might be candy corn :)

I love anything bright. I love the look of light pink, but it always looks washed out on my fair skin so I go for fuschia, red, organish tones. I also like very dark berries to the point they are almost black.
Nicole @ PancakesandPilates recently posted..Dance Your PhD

43 Claire October 22, 2011 at 12:50 pm

I love manicures! I just recently bought the Sally Hansen “Hard as nails” acrylic that you use as a base coat. It’s like wraps for nails or something? Anyways, my nails grew so long I actually had to *CUT* them (this is a rarity for me). I like either:
a) bright pinky nails
b) nude, creamy colors (this is my new obsession)
Claire recently posted..Shabby Apple

44 Angie @ Bigbearswife December 2, 2011 at 1:24 pm

to cute!

I personally love French Manicures but I love this for Halloween!
Angie @ Bigbearswife recently posted..Cannoli Dip