The New “Do”

by Courtney on November 4, 2011

Happy, happy Friday! I don’t know about you guys, but I.am.psyched. I have a couple fun things on the agenda for this weekend, but I’m also just really looking forward to a little relaxing and hopefully getting some work done around the house. T minus six hours to go!

*****

So if you follow me on Twitter, then you may have seen the tweet last night about my hair…

[blackbirdpie id="132212902030618625"]

One of the girls at the shop had seen a photo in a magazine of an up-do on someone and wanted to “play around” to see if she could recreate it. Lucky for me, I have long hair so she decided to use me as her guinea pig.

Now, if you know me at all, then you would already know that this is 110% A-okay with me. I could sit for hours on end and let someone play with my hair. It is probably one of the most relaxing experiences for me. I love it!

Quite a few of you requested to see some pics from the up-do, so here ya go.

Side views

IMG_9564IMG_9565

Back views

IMG_9571IMG_9572

Pretty cool, right? Unfortunately, the only place I was headed once I left work was straight home, so I didn’t get much of a chance to show off the new “do.” But ehh, no big deal…it didn’t really go with the outfit anyways. Winking smile

Once Jay got to see the latest style (this is probably my fourth time coming home with something new to show him) it was time to deconstruct it…

The amount of bobby pins in that mane was impressive.

Searching to try and find them all actually reminded me of when I was in high school and would have an up-do after a dance or prom. Once the dance was over and we were at whatever after-party location, all of the girls would sit together and take out all of the bobby pins, and would sometimes even compare to see who had the most. That definitely brought me back…I still can’t believe that was almost 10 years ago. Man, I’m getting OLD.

*****

Workout

It’s amazing, really, what a day of rest can do for the body. After taking yesterday off, I felt much more energized and ready to take on today’s mish-mash:

I loved being able to incorporate a little of everything today and it felt great!

Breakfast

Another breakfast conundrum ensued this morning. I wanted another English muffin. I wanted eggs. I wanted oatmeal. Finally, I decided on the eggs AND the English muffin.

(Along with the raspberry jam, of course.)

And the coffee.

BUT, I also prepped up some pumpkin oats to bring with me today for lunch, so it was a win-win situation.

Along with a small package of Cocoa Goodness Love Grown Foods granola. This stuff is gonna be good.

Let’s hope that today goes by quickly!

Questions for the Morning:

How long have you been out of high school?

Have you ever had an hair up-do’s that you loved?

1 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life November 4, 2011 at 9:23 am

I’ve been out of high school for 5 years. My 5 year reunion was last spring but I didn’t go.
The best up-do I ever had was done in Poland for my cousin’s wedding. I went in with an idea of what I wanted, but the guy did something completely different and it came out amazing.
Cocoa Goodness is the best Love Grown flavor, hands down. I’m all out! :(
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..Spaghetti Squash: Take 2

2 Mallory @ It's Only Life November 4, 2011 at 9:26 am

about 5ish years! graduated college in may. feels like just yesterday though. it’s strange how i’m now working 9-5 and am an adult when it feels like just yesterday i was 16 and a kid!
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..Post-Halloween Candy Binge

3 Hope November 4, 2011 at 9:31 am

I love the hair do! It’s so elegant. I’m with you, I love when my hair gets done. It’s so relaxing!

I’ve been out of high school for 10 years this summer. Crazy how quickly time flies! :) Happy Friday!
Hope recently posted..A Splash Of Purple…

4 Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! November 4, 2011 at 9:32 am

6 years out of high school, and honestly it feels like forever ago already!! haha
I had my hair done nice one time for prom and actually more recently at my last job in Alaska we always got really dressed up for our company Christmas party and we all went and got updo’s 2 years ago to gow ith our awesome dresses, for fun. And I remember it was so good that I slept on it and it was still almost perfect, so I rocked it again at another Christmas party that day!!
Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! recently posted..Time To Randomize

5 Marla November 4, 2011 at 9:36 am

I’ve been out of high school for about 8 years now. I can’t believe how quickly the time has gone by since then (and yes, you are officially old when you start saying things like that haha).

It wasn’t a complete updo but I loved my hair for my wedding! It was a half-up/half-down style but I couldn’t have imagined wearing it any different way!

I’m super psyched it’s Friday too!!!
Marla recently posted..Major Mileage

6 Sarah November 4, 2011 at 9:45 am

I actually had an updo that i got done because i was a bridesmaid in my cousins wedding recently. It was really nice. Sorta a loose one- i LOVE loose updos! Oh yeah, Haha, I’m STILL in high school. 2 more years of hs and i’m bustin’ outta here :)

7 Sweet and Savvy November 4, 2011 at 9:46 am

I could definitely let someone play with my hair for hours on end too! It is so relaxing! I’m a senior, so i still have a couple more up do opportunities! :) luckily, my boyfriend goes to a different school, so I’ve gotten do go to double homecomings/proms!
Sweet and Savvy recently posted..The Thankful Challenge (WIAW)

8 Shannon November 4, 2011 at 9:49 am

I’ve been outta highschool for 6 and a half years! It’s CRAZY how time flies! It felt like it went by so fast but when I think about those 6.5 years, soooooo much has happened in my life!

Whenever I have an event to go to I usually get my hair done half up/half down with some fancy touch to it! I did have an up-do in grade 12 for my boyfriend at that time’s prom! I showed the hairdresser a pic from a gossip magazine of Angelina Jolie and said CREATE THIS! Haha, I think I was hoping to look just like Angelina Jolie once she was finished! hahaha It was awesome though :)

9 Jess @ Jess Go Bananas November 4, 2011 at 9:54 am

I’m still in high school! 8 more months!
I have never had an updo before, but I have had it styled many times, but they were always “down-dos” lol
Jess @ Jess Go Bananas recently posted..Imma Theraputic Nut!

10 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss November 4, 2011 at 10:03 am

you guys were so much cooler than my friends and I were.. we would sleep in the up-do, then take them out in the morning… whoops.
Alyssa @ Life of bLyss recently posted..Betcha Can’t Guess

11 Courtney November 4, 2011 at 10:10 am

Hahaha, I don’t know about cooler…maybe just more impatient? ;)

12 Heather November 4, 2011 at 10:09 am

I LOVE having m hair played with or brushed. SO relaxing!
Also, as soon as I saw the pic of all the bobby pins, I IMMEDIATELY went back to HS and prom and taking tons of pins out of my hair and still managing to find one or two still in when I washed my hair. ah the good ole days!
Heather recently posted..Guest Post: Lisa

13 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy November 4, 2011 at 10:13 am

I’ve been out of high school for about 5 years. And I’m with Alyssa…we used to sleep in the up-do, then take it out in the morning. I counted one time, and had over 100 bobby pins! I have a lot of hair!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..Thursday Things

14 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries November 4, 2011 at 10:20 am

I love the up-do!! Very pretty. I actually had a similar up-do for my wedding! I love the pinned up curls look. It’s so elegant! You pull it off so well too! :) And I know what you mean about searching for all the bobby pins! Man oh man, it can be pretty time consuming looking for all of those bad boys.
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..I-Don’t-Feel-Like-Doing-Cardio-But-Feel-Like-I-Should-Do-Something Treadmill Workout

15 TheBloggersBrother November 4, 2011 at 10:25 am

YOURE LIKE MATILDA

16 Courtney November 4, 2011 at 10:47 am

LOL – you almost made me spit my drink all over of PT textbook. I was not expecting that…hilarious.

17 Ruthie Hart November 4, 2011 at 10:28 am

ahhh that is so awesome! I LOVE LOVE getting updos! I am in a wedding in January and we are doing updos I am so excited!
Ruthie Hart recently posted..What’s in a name?

18 Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill November 4, 2011 at 10:29 am

When I saw all of those bobby pins, I thought the same exact thing–it brought me back to high school dances! My friends and I would try to undo our hair as fast as possible, then we would all laugh at the funny results.
Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill recently posted..Baltimore Connections

19 Traci November 4, 2011 at 10:31 am

LOVE your updo – so elegant!

I’ve been out of high school for 6 years. I had updos done quite a few times for all of the fancy schmancy dances, with the exception of prom (I had curls but half up, half down). The updos remain my favorite – so classic and pretty.

My friends & I tried to keep our updos in as long as possible. We rocked them for another day or two after each event. I’m from Jersey and we go down the shore after prom, and I have quite a few pictures of me rocking an updo on the beach. Then, before we went home, we did the take out our bobby pins & compare thing.

20 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles November 4, 2011 at 10:32 am

Five years… will be six… I remember the counting of the bobby pins days :)
That up-do is quite pretty! I would have put on sweats and gotten frozen yogurt or went grocery shopping- just to make people wonder. ba-hahaha!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..What dreams are made of! –First time for everything!

21 Lindsey November 4, 2011 at 10:46 am

It is my 10 year reunion in 2012…. EEK!
I have only ever had 2 up do’s that I loved – for my high school grad and my wedding! I must be picky!
Lindsey recently posted..Sleep Deprived

22 Lena @Fit on the Rocks November 4, 2011 at 10:53 am

It’s been 6 years since I’ve been out of high school…time flies! I’ve never had a full updo because I feel like it makes my heard look extremely round, which it is, but I don’t want it full force lol
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Say Freeze

23 Steph @ StephSnacks November 4, 2011 at 11:04 am

I’ve been out of high school for 5 1/2 years! Sometimes I still miss it… they were some of my most fun days. I used to also love taking my bobby pins out after a HS formal — it was crazy to see just how many pins were keeping my hair in tact all night!
Steph @ StephSnacks recently posted..Cascadian Farm Winner!

24 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen November 4, 2011 at 11:23 am

My 10 yr high school reunion was last year, believe me I feel old! Love that updo..I remember feeling that way after my trial for my wedding, pretty hair with no where to go!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Pumpkin rosemary knots & Chickbands GIVEAWAY!

25 Carol @ Lucky Zucca November 4, 2011 at 11:45 am

I’ve been out of HS for almost 8 years now…. Yikes. Your friend does a great job! How fun! I wish I had someone to play with my hair all the time! I’m pretty good with hair myself, but its more fun when someone else does it! I worked at a hair salon when I was in high school and they always gave me gorgeous up-dos for special events. My favorites are the ones that still have some hair loose, like a curly side pony. PS Love your earrings! You look gorgeous as always! Happy Friday!
Carol @ Lucky Zucca recently posted..Pile on the Miles Week 1

26 alyssa - fashion fitness foodie November 4, 2011 at 11:49 am

I havent had an up-do in forever but i feel like i always look horrible with one! I like my hair half down.
alyssa – fashion fitness foodie recently posted..Be thankful

27 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile November 4, 2011 at 12:03 pm

I’ve been out since 2010. Haha not long at all! I’m just a sophomore in college but it feels like forever ago. I got an updo for prom, love it! Yours is soo pretty!

28 kristen @ livinlifeinlouie November 4, 2011 at 12:29 pm

love the do! I have been out of highschool for 8 years

29 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake November 4, 2011 at 12:29 pm

Cute!

I’ve been out of high school for almost 8 years. Ugh it sounds so long ago! haha

My favorite “up-do” that I’ve had so far would have to be my wedding hair-do!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Pinterest

30 Rosa - Fitness, Food, Fulfilled November 4, 2011 at 1:05 pm

That hairdo was so cute! I love intricate updos like that.
I’ll have to try that jelly with egg/cheese sandwich combo. Both you and Julie are making me totally curious.
Rosa – Fitness, Food, Fulfilled recently posted..Return of the Runny Egg

31 Khushboo November 4, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Your hair looks gorgeous! I never pinned my hair up, I always preferred (and still do) to get it blow dried and leave it down!
Khushboo recently posted..Tales of the scales

32 Molly@hungryhungryrunner.com November 4, 2011 at 2:41 pm

I love your hair! It looks amazing! Whenever I get my hair done in an up-do I seem to find hidden bobby pins days after the event. I don’t know how they do it!

33 Shayla @ The Good Life November 4, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Yay thanks for showing us the pic!! It’s gorgeous and seeing those bobby pins totally reminded me of my prom days…I also had a plethora of them on my wedding day!

I’ve been out of high school for 11 years, yikes! I feel like the old maid around here ;)
Shayla @ The Good Life recently posted..Friday Lovin’

34 Lauren B. November 4, 2011 at 4:23 pm

I have been out of high school for 13 years…thanks for reminding me. :)

I have an amazing up-do hair piece that I absolutely love and use for any special occasion. Being totally hair-inept, I love being able to stick it in 10 seconds and have an amazing ‘do that stays all night! I even wore it for my wedding!

35 Lauren B. November 4, 2011 at 4:24 pm

So, do I win a prize for being the old-fogey on this blog? :)

36 Jodi November 4, 2011 at 5:20 pm

The up-do looks awesome! I used to always find one random Bobby pin in my hair the nextornong after proms!

I was forced to take a rest day today, but I look forward to running bright and early tomorrow!
Jodi recently posted..It’s Missing…

37 Erica November 4, 2011 at 8:53 pm

i have been out of highschool for 13 years!
the only updo i loved was the one for my wedding (thank god!)
every other time i would get an updo, i’ve never been a fan.
Erica recently posted..professional wedding pics: the details

38 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey November 4, 2011 at 9:20 pm

High school seems like not too long ago until I say it’s been almost 7 years. Yikes.
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..fun facts friday

39 Shannon November 4, 2011 at 10:37 pm

I’m still in high school- a sophomore. Two more years ago until I’m a senior, yippee! :)

My sister and her former best friend used me as a guinea pig one day and curled my hair and straightened my bangs. Needless to say, that didn’t turn out well…at all! My bangs were slanted out and my hair was just really, really bad looking. The former best friend spent the night at our house and before I went to sleep, I criticized my hair upstairs w/ my mom. I didn’t care if they could hear me downstairs.