Sweets Binge

Goooood morning! How we all doin’ this morning? Anyone else freaking out about the fact that Christmas is only 3 days away?!?

Well I think my stress over the holidays, combined with a hungry stomach and some PMS-ing were the perfect combination to cause a little bit of a sweets binge last night. When I got home from work, I wanted chocolate…bad. I raided my Christmas cookies from the freezer, scarfed down a peanut butter ball, a few pieces of toffee almond fudge, and a handful of pretzel m&m’s. I couldn’t get enough. Then I followed it up with a few about 20 generous “slivers” of Love Blondies. Yeah, I’ll blame it all on the PMS.

Hey, it happens. Chalk it up to a bad evening and move on, right? Right.

Okay, so let’s move on!

*****

No workout this morning; I didn’t get into bed until a little past 11pm last night, and since I haven’t been doing very well on my sleep this week as it is, I chose the extra ZZZ’s today. Sleep is mucho important, ladies and gents!!

Breakfast this morning was a delicious one, which I was actually craving going into bed last night.

I lightly toasted a whole wheat English muffin and topped it with some PB2, my new favorite jelly, banana slices, and white chia seeds (<—which could be yours!) Winking smile

It was the last of my PB2 jar so I just used up what was there, which was a more generous helping than I realized. I ended up adding a bit too much water by accident, which made for a much thinner consistency than usual. It was still awesome, just a little messy.

In the midst of breakfast, a little bit of fetch with the Codester also ensued. Not quite sure where the pink pull tab came from though? His new stash is all blue. Smile

I’m getting out of work a bit early today so I can (hopefully) finish up the last of my Christmas shopping and then begin tackling my wrapping. Ughh, I hate feeling so behind! Hopefully my “last minute mojo” will kick in for me later.

Stay tuned this afternoon for Day 4 of Giveaway Week! Oh, and thanks again, really, to everyone who has shown an interest in entering. It makes my Santa-ness feel extra special. You guys rock!!

Questions for the Morning:

Do you get affected by PMS? (women AND men, feel free to answer!) Winking smile

What foods would you be most likely to binge on if stressed?

Does anyone else still have some shopping to do? (please say yes…)

Comments

If I’m stressed, I usually tend to binge on something crunchy and then something sweet. I do still have shopping to do. I’m hoping to get some of it done tonight. I would like to avoid going to stores tomorrow. I can only imagine how crazy it will be.
    Hope recently posted..A Holiday Type Dinner…

My stress foods tend to err on the side of salty and maybe cheesy. Nachos would be TOP of the list of things I want, but if there are kettle chips around, all bets are off the table.

As far as PMS, my only real effects are extreme emotional tendencies. This includes (but is not limited to): crying at Hallmark commercials, crying at reunion videos on youtube, thinking way too much about baby animals, feeling super-ragey at little things (like the ties not working on my trash bags, DAMMIT!), and feeling extreme joy at other little things (free sample of ham at the grocery store? FOR ME?! You shouldn’t have!!)
    Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Faux Pas? No, Pas.

• Courtney says

I hear ya on the emotional tendencies, Jordan! Certain commercials can have my crying at the drop of a hat…and don’t even get me started on if I have to pick out a greeting card. Just last week I went from laughing out loud at one card – all by myself in the aisle – to full on tears with the next card I picked up.

And extreme joy from free samples is felt from me anytime of the month 😉

3. Whitney says

Good for you for admitting that you had a “sweets binge”. I feel like most healthy living bloggers do not accurately portray what they eat and when/if they splurge! No one can be remotely perfect all the time and shouldn’t feel guilty when they indulge a little :)

4. Deb says

Agreed with the comment above. I’m so glad you mentioned this, and said to simply move on! I love the “realness” your blog portrays. It shows that we’re not all perfect (nor should we be), and there is no reason to stress it too much! Those cookies wouldn’t stand a chance around me during that time of the month…haha :) Love your blog Courtney!

5. Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life says

I reach for sweets when I’m stressed. After all stressed is desserts spelled backwards.
    I am all done with my shopping and it feels great! The malls get insane these last days before Christmas!
    Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..WIAW featuring Chicken Divan

6. Traci says

I am affected by PMS (as is every woman I know; and I SWEAR that man PMS is a VERY REAL thing!). I go from sad to angry to happy in 2 minutes flat. :) When I’m stressed (or PMSing), I tend to go for something chocolatey or cheesy. I have one more gift card to buy later, and then I’m done! I’m sure you’ll have a gameplan and get in and out of there just fine! Have a great day! :)

oy vey, Some months i’ll be super emotional, and some I can’t get enough food. I can’t decide which is worse. But when i do eat bad during those times it usually is ice cream, chocolate and Zaxbys.
    Allison recently posted..hair fail

it totally depends on the month for me… some months all i want to do is eat, eat, eat, and other months it doesn’t phase me. my “binges” usually consist of chocolate, PB, and sweets. i have a huge sweet tooth! iit definitely doesn’t help this time of year when sweets are EASILY within reach!

good luck on your shopping and wrapping today! :)
    Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Favorite (Affordable) Beauty Products

THANK YOU SOOOOOOO MUCH for admitting that you had a sweets binge too. I definitely do that once in a while and I am so glad I’m not the only healthy living blogger that does it! I just gotta remember that it’s OKAY and I am healthy 80% of the time, so one night of slip up is not gonna kill me. Thanks for the reminder!!! :)
    Kelsey recently posted..Christmas Candy Cane Nails

Girl, I feel you. When you’re PMSing, you frankly don’t give a crap about what you’re eating. You just want it when you want it. I love your attitude though. You just move on. That’s all we can do!

PMS hates me. Haha. Since I’m losing so much sodium, my salty tooth goes into overdrive! I crave pretzels like it’s nobody’s business. Definitely have to portion them out though, because I’m really sensitive to salt and bloat from it really easily!
    Heather @ For the Love of Kale recently posted..Setting Goals

I have the worst sweet tooth of anyone I know. I would rather skip meals and eat cookies in their place 😉 I don’t do that… all the time… but I could! That is my weakness. Cookies and breads, sweet breads of course. CARBS! All the things I should steer clear from!

I find that I am ALWAYS craving chocolate or sweet around day 14 in between my TOM and right around. So every two weeks I go through a “give me chocolate or die” phase.
    Kerryne recently posted..In the beginning….

I am actually done shopping this year (I finished last week) but dont worry, this is like the first year EVER that I am not shopping right before Christmas!
    And PMS actually doesnt have that big of an effect on me emotionally but I do get a case of the physical blahs.
    And if I am stressed I typically lean towards cheese/bread type stuff :) Must be the Italian in me!
    Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! recently posted..Yes, I Have A Fear Of Electricity

Oh, you know I’ve had raids like that…but like you said, its best not to dwell on it and move on. Big kudos to you for sharing it. I know that takes some guts and it also shows REAL eating and the ups/downs of healthy balance. Love you!
    Tina @ Best Body Fitness recently posted..Random Ailments

You’re so right on the needing sleep thing! My husband has had the last 2 days off work and has gotten to sleep more than his usual 5 hours. He says he feels so much better and even though he’s not been eating perfect he “claims” his body looks leaner just because he got more time to sleep….ie..his muscles got to rest and repair.

Good theory I think!
    Carissa recently posted..Get up and get MOVING!

15. Joanna says

This happens to me allllll the time. I have a hard time with dealing with PMS but every month I try to deal as best I can. Thanks for sharing and being real. It’s probably not the easiest thing to share with your readers but as a reader I love honesty.

16. Samantha says

I have terrible pms, I totally chewed my husband out the other day and when I was done I realized what I did and felt so bad for it. He knew I didn’t mean it but still : (
    I usually will go for chocolate or popcorn.
    And I am not done, I have one more gift to get and I have wrapped nothing!

I definitely have one or two days where I ‘suffer’ from PMS. I never get food cravings, but I get super annoyed at just everything! I usually know what’s going on so I can make myself relax (and not snap at anyone :-/ haha) but boy is it a pain to deal with! (no pun intended)

PMS is seriously the worst. I think we should get extra sick days for it. I get super crampy, cranky and emotional. Awesome combo. I also get the chocolate and peanut butter cravings, pretty much anything high in fat :)
    I just have one gift certificate left to get, it is for my grandparents favorite coffee shop – much better than venturing out into the mall.
    lauren recently posted..Getting it together – A few simple goals for 2012

It’s SO crazy that you asked the questions!! I have been thinking about this all day. When I have PMS I feel like I am going nuts and could eat the entire fridge! But I do refrain and really just gravitate to anything chocolate. Have you ever seen the scene in The Back Up Plan where Jennifer Lopez has all of the stew running down her face???? That’s pretty much what I feel like!
    I have one more gift to get tonight when I get off work and I pretty sure I am going to get annoyed with all the other (including myself) people out shopping…:)
    Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter recently posted..On the home stretch ….

I am with you on the PMS. As already said, thanks for being honest/real about it! I just did that tonight…stuffed my face with a lot of chocolate and was feeling pretty down about it. It helps to know there are others out there that do the same thing. You are right to move on!