Tilapia Tacos with Roasted Corn Relish

by Courtney on January 24, 2012

Tonight’s dinner was super delicious you guys.

Super delicious.

I noticed that tilapia was on sale this week at Price Chopper, so I decided to grab a couple filets while shopping the other day and see what I could come up with. It then dawned on me that I still have a ton of corn tortillas leftover from when I tried out the scrambled egg tacos recipe, and that’s when things started to come together.

I did a little bit of searching around online, found a few recipes that caught my attention, put my own little spin on them and VOILA…

We had ourselves some amazing Tilapia Tacos this evening.

They were actually pretty easy to make and could even be done a lot quicker by taking care of some of the prep work ahead of time (i.e., chopping vegetables). Other than that, this recipe came together in a cinch, and WOW, was it full of flavor!

As much as I loved the roasted corn relish topping, the seasoning on the tilapia was truly delicious; slightly spicy, yet slightly sweet, thanks to the addition of cinnamon. Yup, cinnamon. They.are.winners.

This dinner, which was actually supposed to happen yesterday, was well worth the wait. If you wanted to, I’d suggest adding in some black beans, too. I’ll be doing that next time, as it was an afterthought for me this evening. Ahh well.

So what do ya think – do you see any fish tacos in your future now? Smile

*****

As for tonight’s after dinner snack?

Welllll, did you guys know that it’s National Peanut Butter Day today? And would ya take a look at what just happened to come to my doorstep today?

Oh yes, my friends. Multi Grain Peanut Butter Cheerios. I can.not.wait to dig into these babies! Really, does life GET much better than this?

Yes, it probably does…but, ya know. I like to exaggerate every now and then. Winking smile

1 Mallory @ Have Your Cake and Eat it January 24, 2012 at 7:50 pm

those tacos look great! i love tilapia. i just bought chocolate cheerios for the first time… im anxious to try!
Mallory @ Have Your Cake and Eat it recently posted..Saturday Night in the City

2 Olivia January 24, 2012 at 7:52 pm

mmmmm! I hope we get those Cheerios in Canada too! We do have delish Banana ones right now though!
Olivia recently posted..Grey Day

3 jana @ newly wife healthy life January 24, 2012 at 7:55 pm

I am not a big fish fan, but that corn relish sounds really good and I am sure would taste great on chicken or pork too! My husband just bought that cereal over the weekend! I haven’t tried it yet, but he said it is pretty good!
jana @ newly wife healthy life recently posted..Peanut, Peanut Butter, withOUT Jelly

4 chelcie @ chelcie's food files January 24, 2012 at 7:57 pm

I am so jealous of those cheerios ahh!!
I am also definitely making this recipe..thank you for sharing!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..National Peanut Butter Day Cookies

5 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life January 24, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Those tacos look soo good! Anything with a Mexican twist is a winner in my book. I’m heading to the supermarket now. I think I’m going to look for those fancy new Cheerios to celebrate PB day!
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..Sandwich King

6 Julianna @ Julianna Bananna January 24, 2012 at 8:02 pm

i’m usually not a fish person at all, but this recipe is making me want to give it a second shot!

and peanut butter cheerios are freakin’ delicious! i demolished the whole box in less than a week ;)
Julianna @ Julianna Bananna recently posted..WIAW #7: Tuesday Edition.

7 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries January 24, 2012 at 8:12 pm

those tilapia tacos sure do look and sound tasty! i really like the looks of the corn relish recipe. all the flavors seem like they’d go SO well together! i haven’t made fish tacos in ages, mostly just because i forgot about them. i need to include them back into our weekly dinner menus!

ohh national peanut butter day – love, love, love. let us know how you like those pb cheerios! i’ve been seeing them around and am curious how they taste before i go buy a box. ;)
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..A Day Worth Celebrating

8 Laura @ LauraLikesDesign January 24, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Those Cheerios are SO good! I almost like them dry as a snack rather than with milk–they’re so, so wonderful!
Laura @ LauraLikesDesign recently posted..Wedding Recap: The Dressing Room

9 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake January 24, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Why have I not thought to make fish tacos yet?! Adding it to my “must-make” list! I’m dying to try those Cheerios!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..I’ve Come a Long Way

10 Amy B @ Second City Randomness January 24, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Can you believe I’ve still never tried fish tacos? It’s always the runner-up choice when I go out to eat… so sad.
Amy B @ Second City Randomness recently posted..Can’t Resist

11 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles January 24, 2012 at 8:30 pm

I love fish tacos! Mahi mahi is another great fish to use – meaty & fairly mild-tasting.
Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles recently posted..It’s Back!

12 Lauren January 24, 2012 at 8:38 pm

I’m definitely celebrating the holiday with those Cheerios right now! :)
Lauren recently posted..Favorite Flavors of the Week

13 Kim @ The Family Practice January 24, 2012 at 8:38 pm

I’m not usually a tilapia fan but those tacos look sooo good!
Kim @ The Family Practice recently posted..East Meets West, or Tantric Rice

14 Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health January 24, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Oh yum that looks so good!! I’ve been looking for fabulous and fairly easy recipes lately since I’ve made it a goal to make 1 new one a week…this just may have to be one that I try! And I can’t wait til you talk about that cereal! I hope it’s delicious :D
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Magazine Writing

15 Marty January 24, 2012 at 8:42 pm

These look so delicious and like they’d be so fresh tasting! Coincidentally, I just bought tilapia and some trout at the supermarket today. This recipe sounds tempting…I may plan to make it, or a variation with what I have on-hand, tomorrow. Looks delicious! :)
Marty recently posted..Crispy Kale Chips

16 Michelle (Better with Berries) January 24, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Oh. My. Goodness. PB Multigrain cheerios??? I must get my hands on some of these! Multigrain cheerios are probably my favorite cereal (at least in the top 3) and who doesn’t love peanut butter? Let us know how you like them!

17 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine January 24, 2012 at 8:54 pm

The tacos look great, but I am just not a fish person. Shrimp on the other hand, is my thing!
Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine recently posted..Resolutions Progress – Week 3

18 Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill January 24, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Unfortunately, I’m allergic to fish so no tilapia tacos for me! Those peanut butter Cheerios do sound good, though!
Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill recently posted..Screw the Workout

19 Danica @ It's Progression Not Perfection January 24, 2012 at 9:13 pm

I celebrated National Peanut Butter Day with a batch of PB cookies : )
You should let us know what you think of that cereal-I’m tempted to try it!
Danica @ It’s Progression Not Perfection recently posted..Maybe I Shouldn’t Do What I Should.

20 Anna January 24, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Double yum in this post! I can’t wait to hear what you think of the PB Cheerios (I’ve been thinking about picking them up, but haven’t yet) and I have seriously had a craving for fish tacos for the past 3 days. They look so beautiful too!
Anna recently posted..Quotable inspiration

21 Lauren @ HealthyHungry January 24, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Mmmm!! I actually have tilapia in the freezer right now, and I loooooove fish tacos! This looks amazing!

Thanks for the recipe!
Lauren @ HealthyHungry recently posted..Tofu Black Bean Mess

22 Kristine @ Running on Hungry January 24, 2012 at 9:40 pm

YUM! I actually made Tilapia Tacos on Sunday night! Definitely one of my favorite meals! A great marinade (Bobby Flay’s via Kristin @ Iowa Girl Eats) is olive oil, 1 T chili powder, 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, fresh lime juice and a jalapeno chopped up. I let it sit about 15 minutes then throw them on a scalding hot grill pan!
Kristine @ Running on Hungry recently posted..HIIT Me!

23 Lindsey January 24, 2012 at 9:43 pm

I have heard of those new Cheerios but haven’t found them yet. Multigrain Cheerios is my favorite cereal, and PB id my favorite food so this better not disappoint ;)
Lindsey recently posted..Home Workouts

24 Alysha @shesontherun.com January 24, 2012 at 9:48 pm

Those cheerios look amazing! I’ve got a box of honey nut and multigrain in the pantry.
Alysha @shesontherun.com recently posted..Shrimp and Grits

25 Tracy @ Tracy's Treats January 24, 2012 at 10:55 pm

Those tacos look wonderful! It definitely seems like a great meal to have, especially when the weather is getting warm….and maybe with a margarita in hand. :-)
Tracy @ Tracy’s Treats recently posted..Pasta Turned Pasta Salad and Red Velvet Cake

26 Lena @Fit on the Rocks January 24, 2012 at 11:01 pm

Yum, I loveeee fish tacos! I’m sure the fish was delish, but the toppings look like the winners.
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..So We Meet Again

27 Corrie Anne January 25, 2012 at 12:33 am

Oh man! I’ve totally been eyeballing those PB Cheerios!!! Want!! I really hate fish, but I wish I didn’t. Otherwise they’d totally be in my future.
Corrie Anne recently posted..Married: Month 7

28 Khushboo January 25, 2012 at 1:17 am

Fish tacos are the best- I made some yesterday with calimari and shrimp!

29 erica January 25, 2012 at 3:11 am

ooh, i saw those cheerios at the store the other day. i almost bought them…will wait to see what you think! (i was not a fan of the chocolate cheerios)
erica recently posted..happy he’s home

30 Heather January 25, 2012 at 7:14 am

tilapia tacos are one of my favorite dishes to make! I use a non-recipe/recipe from Jess Merchant circa 2009 that I absolutely LOVE and find my self craving about every 6 weeks or so. You may have just sparked another craving, my dear!! Your photos are making my tummy growl for dinner at 7:14 AM!!
Heather recently posted..Simply Saturday

31 Courtney January 25, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Hehehe, sorryyyyyy :)

32 Hope January 25, 2012 at 7:45 am

Those tacos look delicious! I’ve never had tilapia before but I’m interested to try it. Is it really fishy tasting?

I love peanut butter cheerios!! They are my favorite! :)
Hope recently posted..Trying To Find Balance…

33 Becky @ Fit Chick on the Fly January 25, 2012 at 8:27 am

Those tacos look delicious. My mother in law is coming into town this week and I’ve been trying to dig up a good fish recipe for her. She lives in St Louis and says she can’t ever get any fresh fish like we have in South Florida! So we like to spoil her with fish when she comes to visit.
Becky @ Fit Chick on the Fly recently posted..Workouts and Birthdays

34 Nicole January 25, 2012 at 8:43 am

Too funny – I made fish tacos with tilapia last night too! Your recipe sounds much better than how mine turned out though – I love the idea of adding cinnamon. I’ll have to save this for next time!

35 Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter January 25, 2012 at 9:17 am

Peanut butter cherrios! I saw these the other day in the store……I should have bought them. :)
Taco’s look yummy!
Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter recently posted..Twenty Questions!

36 Tara Burner January 25, 2012 at 11:24 am

the Tilapia Tacos with Roasted Corn Relish look yummmy, just pinned it to share with everyone!
Tara Burner recently posted..Running Divas Review & Shirt Giveaway

37 Courtney January 25, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Thanks, Tara!

38 Shannon January 25, 2012 at 1:46 pm

I had a peanut butter sandwich before my afternoon exam yesterday, and I didn’t even know until later that it was National Peanut Butter Day! What a coincidence, right? :)
Shannon recently posted..Friday Fun: Favorites in the Capital Region

39 Courtney S. January 26, 2012 at 4:41 pm

I definitely want to try out the Fish Taco recipe, I am practically drooling at my desk!! One question (and it doesn’t just apply to this recipe): When using only half an avocado, what do you do to the other half to keep it fresh? Avocado turns brown and mushy SO quickly once it’s cut…

40 Courtney January 28, 2012 at 3:44 pm

If you keep the core in the other half of the avocado, it’ll usually last an extra 1-3 days!

41 Courtney S. January 31, 2012 at 4:30 pm