Tonight’s dinner was super delicious you guys.
I noticed that tilapia was on sale this week at Price Chopper, so I decided to grab a couple filets while shopping the other day and see what I could come up with. It then dawned on me that I still have a ton of corn tortillas leftover from when I tried out the scrambled egg tacos recipe, and that’s when things started to come together.
I did a little bit of searching around online, found a few recipes that caught my attention, put my own little spin on them and VOILA…
We had ourselves some amazing Tilapia Tacos this evening.
They were actually pretty easy to make and could even be done a lot quicker by taking care of some of the prep work ahead of time (i.e., chopping vegetables). Other than that, this recipe came together in a cinch, and WOW, was it full of flavor!
As much as I loved the roasted corn relish topping, the seasoning on the tilapia was truly delicious; slightly spicy, yet slightly sweet, thanks to the addition of cinnamon. Yup, cinnamon. They.are.winners.
Tilapia Tacos with Roasted Corn Relish
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Servings: 2-4 (in our case, two hungry Horan’s)
Roasted Corn Relish Ingredients:
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup diced peeled avocado (about half of a medium avocado)
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
Tilapia Taco Ingredients:
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried cilantro
- 1 pound tilapia fillets, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 4-6 corn tortillas
- To make the relish: Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with olive oil. Add corn, bell pepper, onion, and salt to pan; sauté 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove mixture from pan; wipe pan clean with paper towels. Combine avocado and juice; toss gently. Stir avocado mixture into corn mixture. Set aside.
- To make the tilapia tacos: Combine first 7 ingredients and rub over cut tilapia pieces. Heat olive oil in the same nonstick skillet used for the relish; add tilapia pieces, cover and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add lime juice and let cook one additional minute.
- To assemble the tacos: Heat corn tortillas according to package. Top each heated tortilla with tilapia, roasted corn relish, and shredded lettuce. Fold, serve, and enjoy!
This dinner, which was actually supposed to happen yesterday, was well worth the wait. If you wanted to, I’d suggest adding in some black beans, too. I’ll be doing that next time, as it was an afterthought for me this evening. Ahh well.
So what do ya think – do you see any fish tacos in your future now?
As for tonight’s after dinner snack?
Welllll, did you guys know that it’s National Peanut Butter Day today? And would ya take a look at what just happened to come to my doorstep today?
Oh yes, my friends. Multi Grain Peanut Butter Cheerios. I can.not.wait to dig into these babies! Really, does life GET much better than this?
Yes, it probably does…but, ya know. I like to exaggerate every now and then.