Want To See Something Funny?

Sooo, I’m switching gears a little bit this afternoon. That cool? Ok, cool.

Hey, you guys want to see something funny?

Sexy, isn’t it? Winking smile And that’s not even counting the fact that I’m wearing a men’s sweater from Old Navy that I bought for Jay a year ago, which shrunk and I was too lazy to return it. This is how I often end up with many of my cozies, FYI.

But anyway…let’s get back to that other mess going on up above. For as long as I can remember, I’ve always complained about my hair.

You see, my hair is pin straight…literally. Limp, lifeless, boring, with absolutely zero body. God forbid I get caught in the rain and I am going to end up looking like a drowned rat.

I can blow it dry, I can let it air dry; heck, I can even curl it, and within 15 minutes, all curls are GONE and it magically goes back to its wonderful straightness. I know that some people would long for this, but hey, I guess the grass is always greener, right?

So for Christmas this year, my mom ended up getting me a fun little contraption that she thought might help fulfill my desire for those bouncy, full of body curls, called the TopStyler by InStyler. She found it on QVC…and yes, she is addicted, but when her addiction benefits me I really can’t complain.

With somewhat of a similar idea to hot rollers, except not really, the TopStyler comes with a set of ceramic C-shells which hold the curl into place until it is completely cool. You have to do a special type of curl, called a finger curl, in order to get them to work, I guess. You can read more about it here.

The kit also comes with a bunch of other gizmos and gadgets that had me scratching my head wondering what the heck I was going to do with them. They did not end up getting used.

Honestly guys, you should have seen me trying to do these finger curls. I looked like a hot mess. I’ve never been good with hair, so attempting to wrap pieces of hair around my snazzy little fingers was pretty amusing, and somewhat frustrating.

In an attempt to get my curls to hold for more than ten minutes, I sprayed each small section of hair with this Redken Spray Starch.

It’s a heat memory styler, which actually works really well, but is quite sticky.

By the time all was said and done, I had one heck of a look going on. And wouldn’t you know, hubby comes home for lunch as soon as I finish getting them all in. He couldn’t have been 15 minutes later, right?

Go figure.

So I sat and let my funky little C-shells cool completely while catching up on some emails, and about a half hour later, it was time to see what damage had been done. I was nervous.

As I unraveled each finger curl, things were feeling a little more “Shirley Temple” than “sexy beach waves,” but I went with it. I played around, tousled it all a bit with my fingers, and attempted to see where it best fell into place.

IMG_1198IMG_1206

I must say though, for it being my first attempt ever at these things, I am SUPER impressed! Look…my hair actually has some body to it. Who knew?!?

Now all I’ve got to do is work on that whole timing thing, since I’m pretty sure that I don’t have an extra hour every day just to do my hair…nor would I want to. Sheesh!

Then again…I am going to be working in a gym from now on. I suppose I can just save these for a special event, right? Smile

**FYI: You still have a few more hours to enter my Perfect Valentine’s Day Gift Giveaway! I’ll be announcing the winner later this evening.**

Questions for the Afternoon:

What kind of hair do you have? Curly/wavy/straight?

What kind of hair would you LOVE to have?

On average, how much time do you spend on your hair every day?

Comments

Well done- your hair looks great! I’m 23 and I still can’t put on rollers…and yup my mom still puts them on for me! The first hour is always crazy but I promise it’ll tone down more to like sexy beach waves :)
    khushboo recently posted..Dear Fellow Gym-Goers

My hair is kinky. I mean that literally. You can grab individual strands and some of them have 45 or even 90 degree little bends in them. Overall, my hair has a tiny bit of wave to it, but it’s too thick and heavy, so it pulls it out a bit.
    In about a week, I’m actually going to get a permish done on it. What I mean is, I don’t want to look like a poodle, so the hairdresser does a perm rod, then a body wave rod, then perm, body wave, etc. I think it looks awesome, we’ll see what hubby thinks. He’s never seen me with my hair like that.
    I spend a grand total of less than 5 minutes on my hair. I’ve got 2 young kids, I can’t afford to spend a ton of time on it. Mostly I just put it in a pony tail or bun. Once I get my perm, it’ll be 5 minutes. Gel and a small clip to keep it out of my eyes.
    Kathryn recently posted..School

i think your hair turned out so pretty!! i love it! i’ve never seen those little gadgets before – they are pretty nifty lookin! i have curly/wavy hair, and i’ve actually started to like and appreciate my hair more within the past year or two. i used to always hate my wavy/curly hair, but now that i know how to work with it better, i like it a lot more. i would even love for it to be a little more curly actually. i absolutely hate doing my hair to be honest… 6 out of the 7 days of the week my hair is usually spritzed and scrunched without a blowdry or anything else. i’m that lazy! 😉
    Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..WIAW {What I Ate Wednesday} #18: A Day In The Life…

Your hair looks great! My hair is super thick and curly/wavy. I’ve always hated my hair with a passion! I would wear it curly except once it dries, it ends up super frizzy and makes me really self conscious. I always take the time to straighten my hair and the flat iron is my best friend! :)
    Hope recently posted..Trying To Find Balance…

Hey Courtney!
    I’ve been a reader for a while, but I think this is the first time writing something because I thought you were writing about my hair hahahaha

My family and friends always make fun of me when I come out of the shower – saying that I look like a drowned animal :( Lol,
    My solution is, I get a perm once a year or once every year and a half. I ask for the largest bending curlers cause I do not want to look like Shirley Temple.

Anyways thank you so much for sharing this post! 😀 I’m going to have to try that!
    Julie @ Orcas Health Journey recently posted..Peanut Butter National Day

I suppose the grass is always greener, but that’s what beauty products are for, right? 😉

My hair is wavy and thick. I like it a lot though because I am blessed with it seeming to look pretty good when I wash it and let it air dry. However, sometimes I want the sexy sleek look, at which time I spend awhile using my expensive CHI straightener that I got for Christmas a few years ago.
    Coco recently posted..Coffee Cutback: Day 1

I’m glad you posted this! I have been complaining about my hair recently, and I have no idea what to do with it! It is also stick straight (although it used to curl much easier when I was younger). I might have to try this TopStyler because I would love some curls!
    Pamela recently posted..11 Things

woah! i need to go check these out!

i have straight, thick, slightly coarse hair.
    i wish i had slightly (just slightly) less hair…thick hair is great, but TOO thick, is not so fun. and silkier.

i think i’d like nina dobrev hair.
    erica recently posted..happy he’s home

My hair is in between curly and wavy – ringlets underneath and more wavy on top. I used to wish I had straight hair, but now I am fine with mine, even though I still straighten it daily, But if I want, wavy/curly hair is easy to do too, so after years of hating my hair I finally like it!
    It takes me 5 minutes to blow dry my hair, and 10 to straighten and style. Most days its in a ponytail though which is cheating 😉
    Lindsey recently posted..Protein Packed

i’ve seen the topstyler many times on qvc! i think it’s a pretty cool idea and your hair looks good! love the volume.

i actually wrap my hair around regular curlers, the way that you wrap the hair around your fingers for the top styler. so if anyone at home wants a smiliar look to this but can’t afford the top styler, you can buy some curlers at walmart (the remington ones with the heated clips are awesome), wrap your hair around the curler and then clamp it in. it’s pretty much the same deal! i’ve also been using an enzo milano curling wand for about 5 years now–i love the wrap around method!
    Mandee @ Mandeelicious recently posted..Merry Mint Cakes

Not bad at all for a first try! I bet it’ll turn more Victoria’s Secret-esque as the day wears on 😉 I have straight hair that slightly waves, but not in a sexy hair way. It just gets random wavy bends in it. Also, have you ever tried curling your hair with a straightening iron? My hair stays ridiculously curled only when I use one. I only use the curling iron for soft waves since it doesn’t stay tightly curled.
    Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..So We Meet Again

My hair strands are thin but I have a lot of them so in that sense it is thick. If I let it air dry it gets waves very similar to what you’ve got going on!

I like that my hair is easy to both curl or straighten and that whatever style I choose holds well. Curling or straightening takes about 15 minutes, either way.

I only wish it was more blonde than brown and softer/shinier! Oh also I’d love if it could grow really long without looking mangy. Haha.

I have the exact same hair as you (same color and length too). And I seriously laughed out loud when you said “drowned rat.” I can totally relate. My stylist showed me how to curl my hair with a straightener and it’s the best thing I have ever tried (as far as keeping curls, which usually fall flat).
    Alysha @shesontherun recently posted..Shrimp and Grits

I have pin straight hair too! The only thing that I’ve found will allow my hair to hold a decent curl is the conair styling wand. It takes a good amount of fiddling with before you get the hang of it and it totally takes too much time to do it on a daily basis, but it’s nice for special occasions.

I usually let my hair air dry and it takes me zero time to do since I only comb it when I get out of the shower.
    Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..Sandwich King

15. Julie says

Your hair looks so bouncy and full of life!! At this stage in my life, I can honestly say I am very happy with my hair…my hair started out straight, but as I get older, it is wavy, and even wavier when I use product on it. I used to hate that my hair got wavy after I straightened it, but now I just go with it. I love switching it up and having 2 completely different looks!

16. Teresa says

Looks great! I have fine, pin straight hair, and always wished for waves! I recently found a link on pinterest.com that shows how to curl your hair using a sock! You can search “how to curl your hair using a sock” on youtube. There’s a lot of videos. I only takes minutes the night before, than in the morning you have curls! They recommend spraying your hair with water before rolling it, but what worked best for me was to wet my hair completely then apply mousse. My hair dries super quick, so the extra wetness wasn’t an issue. I think it added more curls. Good luck!

17. Ivy Carnegie says

Hi there!!,
    I have been following your blog for a few weeks now. I follow several healthy living/raw blogs, and came accross yours and added it to my book marks. Today this past post popped up about the top styler. HOW did you like it? I am actually the model in the commercial and am the model in the pamphlet ” look book” on how too. Hope your well and hope your enjoying the top styler. Take care!!

• Courtney says

OMG, you’re kidding me!?! Wow, talk about a small world!
      Girl, your finger curls were a whole lot better than mine were, haha, but I actually really do like the top styler! I’m sure it’ll take a little practice and getting used to, but I’m hoping I’ll get there.
      Any tips for a novice finger curler? 😉

18. Amy says

my hair is super fine and very damaged from hilighting. I have such a hard time finding someone to hilite that doesn’t fry it.
    I just bought the cone shaped herstyler. I love the way it gives the big beachy waves.
    By the way your hair looks great curly and it always looks so healthy too courtney.

I have straight hair too and my hair never wants to stay in any style more than a half hour…if that. I’m also like you where I’m not really hair savvy. For special events where I want sexy curls I’ve actually slept in rollers. It works like a charm but it is terribly uncomfortable. I wasn’t smart and got the bristle type ones instead of the foam ones :)
    Katie @ Plates and Paste recently posted..Whacky Wednesday

Hi Courtney. I have naturally curly hair (frizz, dry, damaged :-( I swear by Ouidad products and wash my hair 3 times a week at most. I spend about 5-6 minutes on days I wash my hair to apply the leave-in and gel and all. Literally 2-3 minutes on normal days.

I wish I had YOUR HAIR!
    it looks so pretty and voluminous.
    honeywhatscooking recently posted..Friday’s Favorite Things – 1.27.11

• Courtney says

Haha, unfortunately, they started falling out within about an hour. I also didn’t use that much product though, so I’ll definitely have to keep that in mind for next time!

21. Jerry says

…was searching for a picture of shirley temple (long story!) and your picture pops up – my damn curiosity makes me click on it – then, I continue to read to determine where/why the shirley reference brought me here – TADA, find it, then keep reading! Why do I do this to myself?! Well, nice hair lady, hope your mom continues to empty her pocketbook and send you more QVC randomness that you can then blog about! Well, time for me to continue on with my quest for shirleyness!!!

Trackbacks