Homemade Caramel Turtle Coffee

by Courtney on February 29, 2012

Hey hey! Happy Leap Day! Is there anyone out there who has a birthday and/or anniversary on leap day? (I know my friends Brian & Mal have their dating anniversary today!) I’m curious if people who have leap day as a special day for them feel honored or shafted by only being able to celebrate once in a while? I’m actually not sure how I’d feel?

Although, I do know how I feel about one thing…I am not so psyched about the snow falling outside right now.

Booooo. I’ve been spoiled so far this winter with it being so “dry,” and I’m not quite ready for it to start up just yet. Call me crazy but I’d much rather be back in warm and sunny Mexico. Winking smile

*****

So this morning, I had a longer morning shift at work, which meant that I needed to bring breakfast with me. I didn’t snap any photos because a) it was early and b) it was sort of ugly. I made a batch of Overnight Oats in a Jar last night so I’d have something that I could quickly grab and go with today. It really did look sort of gross (overnight oats usually do), but if you want to see how I made it, it was pretty similar to this batch, minus the raspberries.

On my way home, despite it being past noon time, I still wanted coffee. Wouldn’t you know, the first commercial on the radio once I got in my car was advertising for Dunkin’ Donuts’ Caramel Turtle coffee. Ummm, yes please!

The only thing I don’t like about getting those sort of drinks at DD is that they really load up on the caramel and chocolate. So I improvised…I ordered a Toasted Almond coffee (which is what they use in the caramel turtle) and came home to add my own chocolate and caramel (which we just so happened to already have at home).

IMG_2350-1

I simply added 1 tablespoon of each (chocolate and caramel) to my toasted almond coffee with skim milk. Had I not already gotten the toasted almond flavor added, I’d probably add about 6-8 drops of my English Toffee flavored stevia.

*By the way, today is the last day to get $8.00 off your first iHerb.com order, using my coupon code, SAZ564. Perhaps a bottle of English Toffee stevia is in your future?

This coffee turned out tasting absolutely scrumptious, my friends. Improvising AND saving unnecessary calories, for the WIN!

While I sipped on my gloriously delicious coffee, I cooked up some lunch…errr, should I say breakfast #2?

I was craving some eggs, so I whipped up a quick scramble using some of my leftover roasted veggies. I had planned on making it into a burrito, but I ended up with WAY too much filling. So I added in my provolone cheese slice and sealed it up, quesadilla style.

Unfortunately, I saw that going TOTALLY different in my head, and this thing ended up being a hot mess. Literally.

Luckily it still tasted awesome, so I had no problem gobbling it all up.

Once that finishes digesting, I’m planning on getting my workout in for the day. Surprisingly enough, I’m actually still motivated, despite the fact that it’s the middle of the afternoon. Now if I could just decide what the heck I want to do? Right now, I’m thinking my Full Body Circuit Workout may do the trick. We’ll see how it goes!

Question for the Afternoon:

When do you find that you’re most motivated to work out? Mornings? Afternoons? Evenings? Never? hehe Winking smile

1 chelcie @ chelcie's food files February 29, 2012 at 1:41 pm

wow that coffee sounds amazing!!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..WIAW..or tuesday

2 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance February 29, 2012 at 1:42 pm

I’m most motivated to work out in the morning – I like to get it done and out of the way. Also, the snow is beginning to fall here in NH too…we’re supposed to get 8-12 inches. I’m actually kind of excited since we’ve barely had any snow this season!
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Healthier Chicken Tikka Masala

3 Paige February 29, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Ughhhh the girl at DD totally talked me into that drink today! She went pretty light on all the sweet stuff though so it didn’t end up being that overwhelming…but it did end up being freaking delicious. I kind of wish I had hated it so I wouldn’t be tempted to get it again!

4 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope February 29, 2012 at 1:44 pm

That coffee sounds absolutely delicious! I’d love to try making that at home. It’s healthier to control how much of what you are putting into the coffee plus it’s much cheaper! Thanks for the idea :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Wedding Talk Wednesday: 20 Details Every Bride Forgets…

5 Tina @ Best Body Fitness February 29, 2012 at 1:44 pm

I now want coffee even though I know it will make me unable to sleep if I have it. And why did I not know about that flavor of stevia?
Tina @ Best Body Fitness recently posted..Creating a Workout Plan

6 Steph @ StephSnacks February 29, 2012 at 1:47 pm

I definitely have more motivation in the morning, and it puts a great spin on my entire day — but I admit that it’s difficult to wake up so I generally work out after the work day, anywhere from 6:15-6:30.
Steph @ StephSnacks recently posted..Banana Pumpkin Breakfast Cookies

7 Lena @Fit on the Rocks February 29, 2012 at 1:53 pm

I’m usually never motivated to work out, so I force myself to get off my lazy bum and go lol. I prefer to go in the afternoons because I am definitely not a morning person.
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Denver Restaurant Week: Vesta Dipping Grill

8 Liz @ Tip Top Shape February 29, 2012 at 1:54 pm

That coffee looks great!! So much simpler than I thought it would be!
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Pet Peeve Wednesday

9 Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! February 29, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Im definitely most motivated in the evening, which luckily is currently when my training is. Im just not a morning person so it was always hard for me to get up for my morning workouts when I had to do that, though I prefered to workout in the morn because it always made me feel better throughout the day PLUS it was out of the way so nothing could come up and ruin it for later (plans, etc)

10 Kim @ The Family Practice February 29, 2012 at 1:56 pm

You’re not crazy! Its snowing here too and everyone is so happy (skiing, woohoo, etc) – except me, I’m soooo ready for it to be hot and sunny!
Kim @ The Family Practice recently posted..Favorite Chobani Recipes (A GIVEAWAY POST)

11 Traci February 29, 2012 at 2:00 pm

I usually end up avoiding their lattes for the same reason. Recently, I started asking for two flavors of regular coffee. This morning, it was half cinnamon half hazelnut. So good! You just gave me an idea to try half caramel half toasted almond.

12 Lynn February 29, 2012 at 2:27 pm

I love the combo coffees!

13 Traci February 29, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Haha, glad you agree! I meant to also add before: sounds weird, but mixing chocolate protein powder into coffee seriously makes it taste like a mocha and it actually stirs in really well.

14 Courtney February 29, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Interesting!

15 Jen @ Whittle My Middle February 29, 2012 at 2:04 pm

That coffee looks fantastic! Such a simple idea but so yummy.
Jen @ Whittle My Middle recently posted..Weekday Munchies

16 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More February 29, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Hands down first thing in the morning. If I don’t go early, it’s a lot harder to get motivated to move my butt as the day carries on.
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Foodie for a Day // What I Ate

17 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat February 29, 2012 at 2:14 pm

I like having the time to make coffee drinks at home. Way easier to control the calories (I buy sugar free syrups) and way cheaper than paying for a soymilk upgrade!
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..More Matters (Fruits & Veggies WIAW)

18 Kristen @ notsodomesticated February 29, 2012 at 2:26 pm

On many days, never haha. But ideally I prefer to workout in the morning or afternoon. But when I’m working, I pretty much always have to work out at night. Boo!

And your egg creation looks delicious … even if it didn’t go as planned! ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..WIAW and I love Publix.

19 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries February 29, 2012 at 2:43 pm

yum!! great idea with the coffee!

i would say i’m most motivated to workout mid morning after i wake up and my breakfast has settled. i usually workout first thing in the morning because of my schedule though. evenings are definitely the time of day that i’m LEAST motivated to workout!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..WIAW {What I Ate Wednesday} #23: Packed With Healthy Fats

20 MCM Mama February 29, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Love how you saved some money AND calories. Always a good thing.

And my lunch often looks like yours, right down to the too much stuff in the tortilla part LOL.
MCM Mama recently posted..Long run done right

21 Lynn February 29, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Mmmm… coffee concoctions! Perfect for a day like today, however I don’t think we’re getting nearly the amount of snow as they were saying. This stuff looks like it’s going to be messy and obnoxious and not so much on the pretty or accumulated side. Good news though, my accuweather app is showing temps in the 50′s for next weekend! I love me some winter, but if this is all we’re going to get, then bring on spring! Speaking of spring, I just enjoyed one of my go-to spring/summer snacks… cottage cheese and cucumbers, so cold and refreshing! I’ll just pretend it’s not snowing ;)

22 Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill February 29, 2012 at 2:47 pm

It’s not snowing in Baltimore right now, but it is pouring. I can’t help but wanting to crawl back in bed today and watch a movie!

I’m the most motivated to work out when I have a good show to watch while exercising!
Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill recently posted..The Perfect Resort Wear

23 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life February 29, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Yum! Your Turtle Coffee looks so good! I always make homemade ‘mochas’ using skim milk, coffee, and Hershey’s syrup. Just as good as a $5 coffee shop mocha :-)
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..WIAW Round 2

24 michelle kim February 29, 2012 at 2:51 pm

I’m usually most motivated mid-morning (after my breakfast digests and I’ve had my morning cup of coffee).
Breakfast number two looks fantastic!
michelle kim recently posted..Fear

25 Toni @Running, Loving, Living February 29, 2012 at 3:17 pm

That coffee looks fantastic and kudos to you for making it home, delicious and a lot less calories!
Toni @Running, Loving, Living recently posted..What’s In My Gym Bag? featuring Laura from Wife, Mother, ATHLETE

26 Laura February 29, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Looks delicious! It seems as if your consuming very little calories though. Are you sure you’re eating enough?

27 Courtney February 29, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Yes, that’s because I was too lazy to post ALL of my eats today. Typically, I hardly ever post everything I eat in a day (except for WIAW posts), but in addition to that quesadilla, I also had both mid-morning and mid-afternoon snacks. I like to spread everything out throughout the day :)

28 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction February 29, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Definitely morning! It’s sooooooooooooooo hard for me to work at night or after work. If I don’t do it by 2pm, it’s probably not happening! :(
Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..Why I Love Shopping at Whole Foods

29 Alaina February 29, 2012 at 3:52 pm

I will definitely be trying this coffee out!

I used to love getting the hot chocolate at DD and then adding coconut syrup. Liquid Mounds! You could probably get the toasted almond coffee and add chocolate syrup and coconut syrup and have an Almond Joy! Yummy! :-P
Alaina recently posted..Sunday Stuff

30 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles February 29, 2012 at 4:08 pm

I love to make my own special coffees at home! It can save *so* much money and time!!! :)
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..I have willpower. I have willpower. I have willpower.

31 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake February 29, 2012 at 4:14 pm

That sounds like a delicious cup of coffee!

32 Carrie Purchase @Myhealthyaddictions February 29, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Im always pumped to workout after sitting all day at my office! I have time in the morning, but there is something about lifting weights in the morning that doesn’t do it for me!
Carrie Purchase @Myhealthyaddictions recently posted..Sleigh Ride

33 Talia @ Bite Size Wellness February 29, 2012 at 4:32 pm

I love caramel, but not a huge chocolate fan…love your improvisation though! I want to be a morning workouter so badly, but I can never get out of bed. Night time it is!
Talia @ Bite Size Wellness recently posted..Race Time: Tackle Your Spring Training Plan

34 Lily February 29, 2012 at 5:07 pm

I could eat breakfast for every single meal! And sometimes….I do :)
Lily recently posted..WIAW: Breakfast Edition

35 Shannon February 29, 2012 at 5:15 pm

I think it’s about time we get a snow storm! I have wanted a snow day for SO long (the only one we’ve had was really just a mental health day). Praying for one tomorrow. :)
Shannon recently posted..Two posts that you should read

36 Georgia @ Trying Something New February 29, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Hey Courtney! I’m just wondering why you do your workouts at home, when you work at a gym? Or do you do both? :)
Georgia @ Trying Something New recently posted..Date Night at the Blue Door

37 Courtney February 29, 2012 at 8:50 pm

That is a really good question! Haha…I actually do both. Today’s workout happened at home because I was too hungry at the end of my shift to wait, and I didn’t have any food with me. But lately, if I’m there, I try to get my workouts in then. :)

38 Nikki February 29, 2012 at 5:27 pm

I definitely have more motivation in the morning! I don’t uaually have a problem with waking up early to work out, but if I plan to exercise after work it ususally gets pushed off to the next day ;)
Nikki recently posted..Ms. Crabby Pants

39 Brandi February 29, 2012 at 6:06 pm

I really love getting my workout in first thing, but it doesn’t always work out that way. I feel better in the afernoon, but don’t really like showering twice a day. :)
I will go through phases with a morning or afternoon workout. Right now?? Afternoons. :)

Coffee sounds delicious!!

40 Alyssa @ Fit and Fun in Third February 29, 2012 at 6:33 pm

Mornings! After a day in the classroom, I can rarely get the motivation needed for a good workout. I think it’s easier in the morning because I don’t even give myself time to think about it. I roll out of bed, lace up my sneakers, and I’m out the door. Plus… nothing beats having it done with before the sun even comes up! :)
Alyssa @ Fit and Fun in Third recently posted..Wedding Wednesday: Our Engagement Story

41 Lauren February 29, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Girl, you need to open up a coffee shop with that one. Looks incredibly delicious!
Lauren recently posted..Something I {NEDA} to Say

42 Courtney February 29, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Oh my goodness, looks delicious! :)

43 Lindsey February 29, 2012 at 7:30 pm

I like to workout in the mornings but not when I have to go there at 6am to get in and out and ready for work by 8am, so I like to workout after work now, it is a great way to end my end especially if it was a crappy day!
Lindsey recently posted..Pumpkin Carrot Bran Muffins

44 Khushboo February 29, 2012 at 11:49 pm

How nuts is this: apparently those born on 29th Feb have to change their birth certificate to 28th Feb to avoid future confusion!
Khushboo recently posted..Quirk it out!