Homemade Caramel Turtle Coffee

Hey hey! Happy Leap Day! Is there anyone out there who has a birthday and/or anniversary on leap day? (I know my friends Brian & Mal have their dating anniversary today!) I’m curious if people who have leap day as a special day for them feel honored or shafted by only being able to celebrate once in a while? I’m actually not sure how I’d feel?

Although, I do know how I feel about one thing…I am not so psyched about the snow falling outside right now.

Booooo. I’ve been spoiled so far this winter with it being so “dry,” and I’m not quite ready for it to start up just yet. Call me crazy but I’d much rather be back in warm and sunny Mexico. Winking smile

*****

So this morning, I had a longer morning shift at work, which meant that I needed to bring breakfast with me. I didn’t snap any photos because a) it was early and b) it was sort of ugly. I made a batch of Overnight Oats in a Jar last night so I’d have something that I could quickly grab and go with today. It really did look sort of gross (overnight oats usually do), but if you want to see how I made it, it was pretty similar to this batch, minus the raspberries.

On my way home, despite it being past noon time, I still wanted coffee. Wouldn’t you know, the first commercial on the radio once I got in my car was advertising for Dunkin’ Donuts’ Caramel Turtle coffee. Ummm, yes please!

The only thing I don’t like about getting those sort of drinks at DD is that they really load up on the caramel and chocolate. So I improvised…I ordered a Toasted Almond coffee (which is what they use in the caramel turtle) and came home to add my own chocolate and caramel (which we just so happened to already have at home).

IMG_2350-1

I simply added 1 tablespoon of each (chocolate and caramel) to my toasted almond coffee with skim milk. Had I not already gotten the toasted almond flavor added, I’d probably add about 6-8 drops of my English Toffee flavored stevia.

*By the way, today is the last day to get $8.00 off your first iHerb.com order, using my coupon code, SAZ564. Perhaps a bottle of English Toffee stevia is in your future?

This coffee turned out tasting absolutely scrumptious, my friends. Improvising AND saving unnecessary calories, for the WIN!

While I sipped on my gloriously delicious coffee, I cooked up some lunch…errr, should I say breakfast #2?

I was craving some eggs, so I whipped up a quick scramble using some of my leftover roasted veggies. I had planned on making it into a burrito, but I ended up with WAY too much filling. So I added in my provolone cheese slice and sealed it up, quesadilla style.

Unfortunately, I saw that going TOTALLY different in my head, and this thing ended up being a hot mess. Literally.

Luckily it still tasted awesome, so I had no problem gobbling it all up.

Once that finishes digesting, I’m planning on getting my workout in for the day. Surprisingly enough, I’m actually still motivated, despite the fact that it’s the middle of the afternoon. Now if I could just decide what the heck I want to do? Right now, I’m thinking my Full Body Circuit Workout may do the trick. We’ll see how it goes!

Question for the Afternoon:

When do you find that you’re most motivated to work out? Mornings? Afternoons? Evenings? Never? hehe Winking smile

Comments

1. Paige says

Ughhhh the girl at DD totally talked me into that drink today! She went pretty light on all the sweet stuff though so it didn’t end up being that overwhelming…but it did end up being freaking delicious. I kind of wish I had hated it so I wouldn’t be tempted to get it again!

Im definitely most motivated in the evening, which luckily is currently when my training is. Im just not a morning person so it was always hard for me to get up for my morning workouts when I had to do that, though I prefered to workout in the morn because it always made me feel better throughout the day PLUS it was out of the way so nothing could come up and ruin it for later (plans, etc)

3. Traci says

I usually end up avoiding their lattes for the same reason. Recently, I started asking for two flavors of regular coffee. This morning, it was half cinnamon half hazelnut. So good! You just gave me an idea to try half caramel half toasted almond.

4. Lynn says

Mmmm… coffee concoctions! Perfect for a day like today, however I don’t think we’re getting nearly the amount of snow as they were saying. This stuff looks like it’s going to be messy and obnoxious and not so much on the pretty or accumulated side. Good news though, my accuweather app is showing temps in the 50’s for next weekend! I love me some winter, but if this is all we’re going to get, then bring on spring! Speaking of spring, I just enjoyed one of my go-to spring/summer snacks… cottage cheese and cucumbers, so cold and refreshing! I’ll just pretend it’s not snowing 😉

• Courtney says

Yes, that’s because I was too lazy to post ALL of my eats today. Typically, I hardly ever post everything I eat in a day (except for WIAW posts), but in addition to that quesadilla, I also had both mid-morning and mid-afternoon snacks. I like to spread everything out throughout the day :)

I will definitely be trying this coffee out!

I used to love getting the hot chocolate at DD and then adding coconut syrup. Liquid Mounds! You could probably get the toasted almond coffee and add chocolate syrup and coconut syrup and have an Almond Joy! Yummy! 😛
    Alaina recently posted..Sunday Stuff

• Courtney says

That is a really good question! Haha…I actually do both. Today’s workout happened at home because I was too hungry at the end of my shift to wait, and I didn’t have any food with me. But lately, if I’m there, I try to get my workouts in then. :)

I definitely have more motivation in the morning! I don’t uaually have a problem with waking up early to work out, but if I plan to exercise after work it ususally gets pushed off to the next day 😉
    Nikki recently posted..Ms. Crabby Pants

I really love getting my workout in first thing, but it doesn’t always work out that way. I feel better in the afernoon, but don’t really like showering twice a day. :)
    I will go through phases with a morning or afternoon workout. Right now?? Afternoons. :)

Coffee sounds delicious!!