WIAW: Clearing Out Leftovers

You know what? I think I’m coming to love Wednesdays more and more every week. First of all, I have an early shift at work which gets me done for the day by 1:00pm…gotta love that, right? I also love this Wednesday in particular because I have a fun evening planned.

But another reason why I’m loving Wednesdays so much lately?

It’s because it’s What I Ate Wednesday, that’s why! Just like usual, today’s post includes all of my eats from yesterday, so now…let’s do this thang!

8:15am – Breakfast

As usual, you guys have already seen this one.

Thankfully, at least most of my Tuesday breakfasts lately have been good enough to see again.

11:15am – Mid-Morning Snack

A banana-flavored SOYJOY bar.

I actually snacked on this post-workout, which was a 50 minute mish-mash of a treadmill routine. There was some HIIT, some walking, some running, some jogging…pretty much everything. It was intense and great.

Lunch – 1:00pm

A big salad topped with the last of my Vegetable Stew + the other half of my steak leftover from Sunday.

I know it might sound weird to put stew on a salad, but it was pretty much just a few big chunks left in the container so it worked out perfect. Plus, by this point, the stew was so full of flavor, so this salad was awwweSOME.

Mid-Afternoon Snack – 3:30pm

A cara cara orange (so glad I found them again this weekend!)

(recycled photo) I actually wasn’t super hungry mid-afternoon, but I knew I wanted something before some of my sessions started at work. This little guy did the trick.

Dinner – 6:00pm

Who says you can’t have two salads in one day!

This salad was filled with lots of veggies along with a leftover piece of grilled chicken from last night. If you couldn’t already tell, I was sort of on a mission to clear out some leftovers from the fridge today.

Since I was bringing this dinner salad to-go, I also made sure to do the salad dressing trick. Gotta love saving an extra dish to clean!

Right after finishing my salad I wanted something sweet, so I snacked on some cinnamon roast almonds that I realized I had in my bag.

Evening Snacks – 8:45pm

As soon as I walked in the door, I spotted the three leftover Irish cream cupcakes that were sitting on the counter. Would you believe that I photographed these earlier, even had to cut into them, yet held back from eating any?

Welllll, I had waited long enough. I went ahead and had half of the one that I had cut earlier. And, of course, I had to eat it in true Courtney fashion: rip off the bottom half, eat that plain, then eat the top half with all the frosting. It’s my favorite cupcake-eating strategy. Winking smile

I actually was hungry by the time I got home, so in an attempt to keep from eating the remaining two cupcakes, I decided to make myself a real, substantial snack.

An apple cinnamon Chobani topped with half of a crumbled iced oatmeal cookie Clif Z Bar and some Love Grown Foods granola.

And that snack right there may have been the best thing I ate all day yesterday.

What was the best thing YOU ate yesterday?

how are those soyjoys? i’ve heard mixed reviews about them… best thing i ate yesterday? probably my “yellow nuggets” that i created last night for dinner! (tofu bites made with wheat germ, nutritional yeast, and flaxmeal!) mmm!
    Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Itz WIAW + A Giveaway!

• Courtney says

I really like em! I’ve recently discovered that if you microwave the banana flavor one for about 15 minutes, its like banana bread! :)

If adding stew on salad is weird, I wonder what adding COLD stew on salad sounds like…because I’ve done it and trust me, it puts all salad dressings to shame! Best thing I ate yesterday was toss-up between muttabul (Turkish dip similar to hummus but made from aubergine instead of chickpeas) and Pinkberry (Original & Coconut swirl with Capt’n Crunch, almonds, blueberries & raspberries)!
    Khushboo Thadani recently posted..Setting a weight-training routine

Um, that chobani concoction looks freaking amazing. I’m eating one of those iced oatmeal clif bars a day now. :) Best thing I ate yesterday??? Hmm. Tie between the spinach, grapefruit, and scallop salad I had for dinner and the blueberry fiber crisps I had for an evening snack.
    Melissa recently posted..My New Favorite Snack

4. Corinne says

I saw ur cupcake post last night, look awesome! What’s te salad dressing trick? You should check out minimus.biz for travel packets- that’s what i bring to work! Best thing i ate yesterday was my fresh salmon with roasted tomatoes. PS thanks for the email!
    Corinne recently posted..What’s in the Fridge? Dinner

• Courtney says

The dressing trick is putting it on the bottom then filling up with veggies – one less container and no soggy salad!
      You’re welcome :)

• Courtney says

Hahaha, let’s just say that if you were to type “honey graham clif z bar” in the search bar, you’d probably get quite a few results. 😉

i eat my cupcakes the same way! the frosting is always the best part in my opinion, so i like to save it for last. :)
    the best thing i ate yesterday was a big salad for lunch. i was especially excited about this salad because after being on vacation and indulging a little too much for 5 days, i was ready to eat my veggies!
    Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..WIAW {What I Ate Wednesday} #25: San Antonio Recap

I went for lunch with some friends and had a Citrus Chicken Salad – my favorite restaurant salad with grilled chicken, arugula, roasted red peppers, soy beans, dates, avocado and sunflower seeds.
    Lindsey recently posted..A Personal Record

7. Paige says

I’ve noticed that you’ve been eating a lot of salads lately – and two today! lol Do they not bother your stomach anymore or do you just deal with it?

I love re-purposing thick soups and chilis as salad toppers. I made a vegetarian white chicken chili last week that was SO awesome on top of fresh romaine. The best thing I’ve eaten recently was my vegan spinach artichoke dip. I had to pry my hands out of the bowl to save some for photographs for the blog!

Funny, I eat my cupcakes (and cake) the exact same way! The best thing that I ate yesterday was popcorn. I’ve definitely been on a popcorn kick recently… can’t seem to get enough!
    Carolyn recently posted..My Wednesday Goal

The best thing I ate yesterday was definitely my new obsession: Pink Lady Apple + fresh peanut butter + chocolate chips.

Side note … two things: 1 — I keep meaning to do WIAW, but always eat my breakfast before taking realizing it’s Wednesday. 2 — I noticed that “Wednesday” is spelled wrong on this month’s banner. :)
    Calee (@chimes) recently posted..what is all this craziness?

That salad dressing trick is pretty awesome! I always end up carrying a bottle of vinegar with me to work when I pack a salad but that seems like it might just have to be a new strategy! Yesterday I made an amazing grilled shrimp salad featuring Whole Foods Chunky Guacamole. Oh my gosh it was fantastic! Guac was definitely the star! I liked it so much I packed it for lunch!!!
    Cinnamon Apple Chobani is SO good! and since I love the Oatmeal Clif Z that would be a stellar combo!
    CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com recently posted..WIAW: Snackalicious And A Reminder

12. Erin says

That’s so funny! I do the same thing with cake and cupcakes – almost get the cake part “over with” (if eaten at all!) so I can basically eat spoonfuls of frosting.

My favorite eat from yesterday was a chocolate smoothie (lots of frozen bananas in there so it was like ice cream) topped with m&ms. YUM!

OMG! I totally put some of a Korean chicken stew on my salad last night (it had sweet potatoes in it and was flippin awesome).
    Haha, your cupcake-eating is interesting. I might try cutting off the bottom, and then placing it on top of the frosting. Then it’s a cupcake-frosting sandwich (I felt the fat deposit right onto my hips as I typed that).
    michelle kim recently posted..Looking forward to…

I will put ANYTHING on a salad. Warm, hot, cold, doesn’t matter….leftovers will make an appearance on a bed of lettuce or spinach the next day!

I love cara cara oranges and I will put anything and everything on a salad! The more in there the better!

The best thing I ate yesterday was my lunch and dinner, has to be a tie because for lunch I combined black beans, nutritional yeast, soy cheese, quinoa, mushrooms, califlower, and pasta sauce soooo yummy! For dinner because it was gorgeous outside, we grilled chicken, Portabello mushrooms, and pineapple! Yummy food all day yesterday!
    Katie | wholelivingimprint.tumblr.com recently posted..Best of the best!

I often top my salads with leftover stews… glad I’m not the only one! I’m curious where in upstate NY you are, but I think it’s good you’re vague. :) We spent the last 6 years in Ithaca while my husband did grad school. Such a beautiful area!
    Laura recently posted..Grumpy wiaw