WIAW: Clearing Out Leftovers

by Courtney on March 14, 2012

You know what? I think I’m coming to love Wednesdays more and more every week. First of all, I have an early shift at work which gets me done for the day by 1:00pm…gotta love that, right? I also love this Wednesday in particular because I have a fun evening planned.

But another reason why I’m loving Wednesdays so much lately?

It’s because it’s What I Ate Wednesday, that’s why! Just like usual, today’s post includes all of my eats from yesterday, so now…let’s do this thang!

8:15am – Breakfast

As usual, you guys have already seen this one.

Thankfully, at least most of my Tuesday breakfasts lately have been good enough to see again.

11:15am – Mid-Morning Snack

A banana-flavored SOYJOY bar.

IMG_2664IMG_2665

I actually snacked on this post-workout, which was a 50 minute mish-mash of a treadmill routine. There was some HIIT, some walking, some running, some jogging…pretty much everything. It was intense and great.

Lunch – 1:00pm

A big salad topped with the last of my Vegetable Stew + the other half of my steak leftover from Sunday.

I know it might sound weird to put stew on a salad, but it was pretty much just a few big chunks left in the container so it worked out perfect. Plus, by this point, the stew was so full of flavor, so this salad was awwweSOME.

Mid-Afternoon Snack – 3:30pm

A cara cara orange (so glad I found them again this weekend!)

(recycled photo) I actually wasn’t super hungry mid-afternoon, but I knew I wanted something before some of my sessions started at work. This little guy did the trick.

Dinner – 6:00pm

Who says you can’t have two salads in one day!

This salad was filled with lots of veggies along with a leftover piece of grilled chicken from last night. If you couldn’t already tell, I was sort of on a mission to clear out some leftovers from the fridge today.

Since I was bringing this dinner salad to-go, I also made sure to do the salad dressing trick. Gotta love saving an extra dish to clean!

Right after finishing my salad I wanted something sweet, so I snacked on some cinnamon roast almonds that I realized I had in my bag.

2012-03-13_18-15-52_312

Evening Snacks – 8:45pm

As soon as I walked in the door, I spotted the three leftover Irish cream cupcakes that were sitting on the counter. Would you believe that I photographed these earlier, even had to cut into them, yet held back from eating any?

Welllll, I had waited long enough. I went ahead and had half of the one that I had cut earlier. And, of course, I had to eat it in true Courtney fashion: rip off the bottom half, eat that plain, then eat the top half with all the frosting. It’s my favorite cupcake-eating strategy. Winking smile

I actually was hungry by the time I got home, so in an attempt to keep from eating the remaining two cupcakes, I decided to make myself a real, substantial snack.

An apple cinnamon Chobani topped with half of a crumbled iced oatmeal cookie Clif Z Bar and some Love Grown Foods granola.

And that snack right there may have been the best thing I ate all day yesterday.

What was the best thing YOU ate yesterday?

1 Linz @ Itz Linz March 14, 2012 at 8:08 am

how are those soyjoys? i’ve heard mixed reviews about them… best thing i ate yesterday? probably my “yellow nuggets” that i created last night for dinner! (tofu bites made with wheat germ, nutritional yeast, and flaxmeal!) mmm!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Itz WIAW + A Giveaway!

2 Courtney March 14, 2012 at 9:06 am

I really like em! I’ve recently discovered that if you microwave the banana flavor one for about 15 minutes, its like banana bread! :)

3 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life March 14, 2012 at 8:15 am

The best thing I ate yesterday was sushi from Fusian. It’s sort of like a Chipotle for sushi where you go down the line and pick what you want in your roll! Mine had roasted tofu, broccoli, asparagus, avocado, jalapeño, carrots and cucumbers. Amazing!
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..Conflicting Food Arguments

4 Courtney March 14, 2012 at 9:05 am

Really? That place sounds awesome! I need one of those by me!

5 Khushboo Thadani March 14, 2012 at 8:19 am

If adding stew on salad is weird, I wonder what adding COLD stew on salad sounds like…because I’ve done it and trust me, it puts all salad dressings to shame! Best thing I ate yesterday was toss-up between muttabul (Turkish dip similar to hummus but made from aubergine instead of chickpeas) and Pinkberry (Original & Coconut swirl with Capt’n Crunch, almonds, blueberries & raspberries)!
Khushboo Thadani recently posted..Setting a weight-training routine

6 Courtney March 14, 2012 at 9:04 am

Yes! My stew was cold too…sooo sooo good!

7 Yellow Haired Girl March 14, 2012 at 8:20 am

I had a nice ol’ bowl of bulgar topped with pasta sauce last night right before the fitblog chat. Suuuuuper comfort food – and I forgot to photograph it! Hahaha
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..Wonky WIAW

8 Kristen @ notsodomesticated March 14, 2012 at 8:21 am

Everything looks great! The best thing I ate yesterday was probably a brownie, to be quite honest haha. But I also enjoyed my turkey, spinach, and brown rice all wrapped up in a whole wheat tortilla!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..WIAW: The night dinner was thrown out.

9 Alyssa @ fit and fun in third March 14, 2012 at 8:27 am

Best thing I ate was my breakfast… Apple slices dipped in PB2 with pumpkin and cinnamon…. AMAZING.
Alyssa @ fit and fun in third recently posted..W.I.A.W.

10 Melissa March 14, 2012 at 8:30 am

Um, that chobani concoction looks freaking amazing. I’m eating one of those iced oatmeal clif bars a day now. :) Best thing I ate yesterday??? Hmm. Tie between the spinach, grapefruit, and scallop salad I had for dinner and the blueberry fiber crisps I had for an evening snack.
Melissa recently posted..My New Favorite Snack

11 Corinne March 14, 2012 at 8:45 am

I saw ur cupcake post last night, look awesome! What’s te salad dressing trick? You should check out minimus.biz for travel packets- that’s what i bring to work! Best thing i ate yesterday was my fresh salmon with roasted tomatoes. PS thanks for the email!
Corinne recently posted..What’s in the Fridge? Dinner

12 Courtney March 14, 2012 at 9:03 am

The dressing trick is putting it on the bottom then filling up with veggies – one less container and no soggy salad!
You’re welcome :)

13 Stellina March 14, 2012 at 8:50 am

Honey graham Z bar! Have you tried those yet?! It tastes just like a cookie, so good!

14 Courtney March 14, 2012 at 9:02 am

Hahaha, let’s just say that if you were to type “honey graham clif z bar” in the search bar, you’d probably get quite a few results. ;)

15 Liz @ Tip Top Shape March 14, 2012 at 8:50 am

I went to a networking event and they had these little fried risotto balls. They were AMAZING. And those cupcakes look pretty fantastic!!! Perfect St. Pattys day recipe :D
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Pet Peeve Wednesday: Celebrity Edition

16 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries March 14, 2012 at 8:57 am

i eat my cupcakes the same way! the frosting is always the best part in my opinion, so i like to save it for last. :)
the best thing i ate yesterday was a big salad for lunch. i was especially excited about this salad because after being on vacation and indulging a little too much for 5 days, i was ready to eat my veggies!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..WIAW {What I Ate Wednesday} #25: San Antonio Recap

17 Lindsey March 14, 2012 at 9:03 am

I went for lunch with some friends and had a Citrus Chicken Salad – my favorite restaurant salad with grilled chicken, arugula, roasted red peppers, soy beans, dates, avocado and sunflower seeds.
Lindsey recently posted..A Personal Record

18 Paige March 14, 2012 at 9:08 am

I’ve noticed that you’ve been eating a lot of salads lately – and two today! lol Do they not bother your stomach anymore or do you just deal with it?

19 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen March 14, 2012 at 9:11 am

The best thing I ate yesterday was a bacon, gorgonzola and chicken flatbread pizza at happy hour! The accompanying wine was pretty good too ;)
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Wine, fondue and friends

20 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat March 14, 2012 at 9:20 am

You waited far too long to have a cupcake! ;)
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Fajita Fiesta (WIAW)

21 Faith @ For the Health of It March 14, 2012 at 9:22 am

I love re-purposing thick soups and chilis as salad toppers. I made a vegetarian white chicken chili last week that was SO awesome on top of fresh romaine. The best thing I’ve eaten recently was my vegan spinach artichoke dip. I had to pry my hands out of the bowl to save some for photographs for the blog!

22 Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat March 14, 2012 at 9:27 am

Best thing I had was my homemade oatmeal cereal with Almond Milk- Sooooo good!
Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat recently posted..Healthy Swaps & Recipe

23 Michelle@PeachyPalate March 14, 2012 at 9:28 am

Leftover days can be so good! Love discovering new amazing combos that might have previously seemed a bit odd! :) Wish we could get those Soy Joys in Ireland they luck yum!
Michelle@PeachyPalate recently posted..Vegan Italiano

24 Steph @ StephSnacks March 14, 2012 at 9:36 am

The best thing I had yesterday was Pinkberry — salted caramel and chocolate.. I want more just thinking about it!
Steph @ StephSnacks recently posted..WIAW

25 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine March 14, 2012 at 9:43 am

Those cupcakes look awesome!!! The best thing I ate yesterday was leftover Buffalo Chicken pizza from Mellow Mushroom – SO GOOD!
Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine recently posted..WIAW – It’s About Time

26 chelcie @ chelcie's food files March 14, 2012 at 9:47 am

all of your eats look delicious! salads are the best way to clear out the fridge! the best thing I ate yesterday was a rice cake with nutella..SO good!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..WIAW-college style eating

27 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers March 14, 2012 at 10:00 am

What great meals you had! Nothing wrong with two salads in a day, that’s normally what I do!! It’s less guiilty when you have a wonderful dessert!!! ;)
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Thin Mint Mousse / Jillian Micheal Kickbox Fast Fix

28 Carolyn March 14, 2012 at 10:07 am

Funny, I eat my cupcakes (and cake) the exact same way! The best thing that I ate yesterday was popcorn. I’ve definitely been on a popcorn kick recently… can’t seem to get enough!
Carolyn recently posted..My Wednesday Goal

29 Calee (@chimes) March 14, 2012 at 10:10 am

The best thing I ate yesterday was definitely my new obsession: Pink Lady Apple + fresh peanut butter + chocolate chips.

Side note … two things: 1 — I keep meaning to do WIAW, but always eat my breakfast before taking realizing it’s Wednesday. 2 — I noticed that “Wednesday” is spelled wrong on this month’s banner. :)
Calee (@chimes) recently posted..what is all this craziness?

30 Caroline March 14, 2012 at 10:12 am

I like to only eat the top of the cupcake :). The best thing I ate yesterday was chile con queso!
Caroline recently posted..Sweet and Savory Balsamic Brussels Sprouts

31 CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com March 14, 2012 at 10:15 am

That salad dressing trick is pretty awesome! I always end up carrying a bottle of vinegar with me to work when I pack a salad but that seems like it might just have to be a new strategy! Yesterday I made an amazing grilled shrimp salad featuring Whole Foods Chunky Guacamole. Oh my gosh it was fantastic! Guac was definitely the star! I liked it so much I packed it for lunch!!!
Cinnamon Apple Chobani is SO good! and since I love the Oatmeal Clif Z that would be a stellar combo!
CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com recently posted..WIAW: Snackalicious And A Reminder

32 Jessica @ The Process of Healing March 14, 2012 at 10:22 am

I LOVE the iced oatmeal Z-Bars!!! They taste like a straight up cookie!
The best thing I ate yesterday? Breakfast – whipped banana oatmeal with Barney Butter.. so simple but OH SO good!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Recent Eats & Favorite Posts

33 Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! March 14, 2012 at 10:22 am

best thing I ate yesterday was a delish taco salad for dinner last night!
Those cupcakes just look so fabulous!
Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! recently posted..“Nice Peepers”

34 Julianna @ Julianna Bananna March 14, 2012 at 10:37 am

you always manage to make the most gorgeous looking salads! wanna send some of those skills my way? ;)

best thing i ate was probably a ginormous brown smoothie (spinach + berries) after a hard run!
Julianna @ Julianna Bananna recently posted..WIAW: Anxious.

35 Brandi March 14, 2012 at 10:57 am

Great eats!!

Definitely some cottage cheese and pop chips! It hit the spot :)

36 Elizabeth @chocolatedropsandpearls March 14, 2012 at 11:06 am

I love cinnamon roasted almonds. I love eating them with dark chocolate too.

I think my favorite thing I ate yesterday was balsamic and rosemary tuna filet!
Elizabeth @chocolatedropsandpearls recently posted..Chicken of the Sea

37 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope March 14, 2012 at 11:18 am

Those cupcakes seriously sound amazing!

The best thing I had yesterday was a Chocolate Dipped Coconut Luna Bar. I’m obsessed with those things :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Wedding Talk Wednesday: Guestbook Ideas…

38 Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt March 14, 2012 at 11:22 am

I had the most amazing quinoa bowl with chicken sausage, roasted cauliflower, feta cheese, cucumbers and chickpeas…..amazing and I cleared up all my leftovers also!
Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt recently posted..Meatless Monday Meal

39 Erin March 14, 2012 at 11:30 am

That’s so funny! I do the same thing with cake and cupcakes – almost get the cake part “over with” (if eaten at all!) so I can basically eat spoonfuls of frosting.

My favorite eat from yesterday was a chocolate smoothie (lots of frozen bananas in there so it was like ice cream) topped with m&ms. YUM!

40 jasper naomi @ crunchylittlebites March 14, 2012 at 12:01 pm

we ate oven grilled london broil…it was like AWESOME flank steak slivers..lovely :D
jasper naomi @ crunchylittlebites recently posted..proof is in the pudding

41 Danica @ It's Progression Not Perfection March 14, 2012 at 12:58 pm

The Protein Cookie Dough (made using STUFT Mama’s recipe) I ate yesterday was by far the best part of my day…at least in terms of eating : )
Danica @ It’s Progression Not Perfection recently posted..WIAW #18: Eat Your Veggies

42 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 14, 2012 at 1:02 pm

The best thing I ate all day yesterday wer roasted vegetables – deeelish!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..warming up

43 michelle kim March 14, 2012 at 3:07 pm

OMG! I totally put some of a Korean chicken stew on my salad last night (it had sweet potatoes in it and was flippin awesome).
Haha, your cupcake-eating is interesting. I might try cutting off the bottom, and then placing it on top of the frosting. Then it’s a cupcake-frosting sandwich (I felt the fat deposit right onto my hips as I typed that).
michelle kim recently posted..Looking forward to…

44 Shana March 14, 2012 at 3:34 pm

I will put ANYTHING on a salad. Warm, hot, cold, doesn’t matter….leftovers will make an appearance on a bed of lettuce or spinach the next day!

45 Kate @ ibrokemyumbrella March 14, 2012 at 3:43 pm

That salad trick is genius! I can’t believe I never thought of that before. Thanks for that tip.
Kate @ ibrokemyumbrella recently posted..Eating Healthy on the Cheap

46 Katie | wholelivingimprint.tumblr.com March 14, 2012 at 5:10 pm

I love cara cara oranges and I will put anything and everything on a salad! The more in there the better!

The best thing I ate yesterday was my lunch and dinner, has to be a tie because for lunch I combined black beans, nutritional yeast, soy cheese, quinoa, mushrooms, califlower, and pasta sauce soooo yummy! For dinner because it was gorgeous outside, we grilled chicken, Portabello mushrooms, and pineapple! Yummy food all day yesterday!
Katie | wholelivingimprint.tumblr.com recently posted..Best of the best!

47 Shannon March 14, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Lofthouse St. Patrick’s Day sugar cookies- I ate about 5 so far today. I’m such a pig. :( When it comes to those types of cookies, I just can’t help myself, mostly because I haven’t eaten chocolate in about 3 weeks.
Shannon recently posted..Are we considered ‘pet crazy’?

48 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake March 14, 2012 at 7:04 pm

I eat cupcakes the same way! Gotta save the best (FROSTING!) for last!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..WIAW – Week 4

49 Laura March 14, 2012 at 10:35 pm

I often top my salads with leftover stews… glad I’m not the only one! I’m curious where in upstate NY you are, but I think it’s good you’re vague. :) We spent the last 6 years in Ithaca while my husband did grad school. Such a beautiful area!
Laura recently posted..Grumpy wiaw