Better Than A Restaurant

by Courtney on March 17, 2012

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!!

Where are all my fellow Irish men and women out there today?

So yesterday morning when I stopped at the grocery store, I ended up with a HUGE hankering for a reuben sandwich. Knowing that I had to work until about 6:00pm last night (great shift, by the way…even had a blog reader take my class! Hey Emily!) I figured a quick, easy dinner at home would be ideal.

Enter, my Turkey Reuben.

I went with turkey reubens, since Jay is not a huge fan of corned beef, but I was shocked that I was still able to get him to eat the sauerkraut. Victory!

To make our reubens, I bought a small loaf of marbled rye, spread each slice with some homemade Russian dressing, two slices of Swiss cheese, a few slices of low-sodium turkey, and sauerkraut. I then sprayed the outside with a little spray butter and let them grill up to perfection.

Not only did they taste like restaurant quality, but I loved knowing that they didn’t have nearly the amount of fat and calories as one from a restaurant. Another victory!

On the side, I served some Alexia Sweet Potato Fries which I got a coupon for to try out through the Foodbuzz Tastemaker Program.

I usually just make my own fries, but I will admit that these tasted delicious and I really loved just being able to grab them straight from the bag. They’re definitely ideal for when you’re pressed for time.

*edited to fix all of my spelling errors on “reuben.” Woops, my bad!

After dinner, Jay and I got to work on a few things to get ready for today’s St. Patty’s Day celebrations…

I put together a batch of my Overnight French Toast.

And Jay mixed up some festive green Jell-o shots…

Yup, many of you guys guessed right

We’ll see how they turn out! Winking smile

Alright, it’s about time to go get ready and let the shenanigans begin. Hope everyone has a great day!

1 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine March 17, 2012 at 9:14 am

Looks like you have alot of fun in store for today. I really need to try making your overnight french toast – it looks SO good.
Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine recently posted..Vegas! More in Depth

2 Jacqui @Miss Nutritionista March 17, 2012 at 9:19 am

Looks like it’ll be a good time! I made jello shots with the yummy vodka and raspberry jello and they were delicious :)
Jacqui @Miss Nutritionista recently posted..Guinness is Good for You…really

3 Kristen @ notsodomesticated March 17, 2012 at 9:21 am

Your sandwich looks delicious!! Have fun today! We’re hoping to go to a local winery today. I have a coupon for wine tasting … plus they’re having a St. Patty’s celebration with beer and live music. Should be a good time!! :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Where’s all the Fro-Yo?

4 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy March 17, 2012 at 9:34 am

Have a great St.Patty’s Day!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..Is My Workout Making Me Sick?

5 Alyssa @ fit and fun in third March 17, 2012 at 9:45 am

Ohhh interesting jello shot combo! Let us know how they are! Enjoy your day :)
Alyssa @ fit and fun in third recently posted..The A-Z of me!

6 khushboo March 17, 2012 at 9:47 am

Wow I bet any kind of sandwich which includes marble rye would be out of this world- never even seen this kind of bread! After making about 100 jello shots for a Diwali party 2 years ago, I must say I am quite the pro! Have a great day! :)

7 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries March 17, 2012 at 10:06 am

i’ve never been one to love reuban sandwiches, but my mom ordered one when we were out to lunch a few weeks ago, and i ended up loving it! i think it was always one of those things that i thought i wouldn’t like, so i never really tried it for myself. your version sounds great, and now i’m thinking a reuban sandwich might have to be in order for lunch today! ;)
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..It’s The Little Things

8 Mallory @ Have Your Cake and Eat it March 17, 2012 at 10:07 am

that looks awesome!! have a great st pattys day!

9 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance March 17, 2012 at 10:23 am

Haha love the turkey baster for the jello shots :)
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Green Recipes for St. Patrick’s Day, Including Kale Hummus!

10 Brandi March 17, 2012 at 10:23 am

What a fun day! :)

That sandwich looks amazing! And I love sweet potato fries! :)

I really must try the overnight frenchtoast. I hope you guys have a great St Patricks day!

11 Kelli-Ann March 17, 2012 at 10:24 am

Happy St. Patrick’s Day from one Capital Region Irish women to another! Your reuben looks delicious!

12 Tina @ Best Body Fitness March 17, 2012 at 10:25 am

That looks SO good! I love a good sandwich. And…is that Swedish Fish vodka??
Tina @ Best Body Fitness recently posted..Fun Fact Friday: A to Z

13 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers March 17, 2012 at 11:23 am

Oh yum, everything looks great!! Happy St. Patrick’s Day!!!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Bailey’s Irish Cream Shake

14 Mike March 17, 2012 at 11:27 am

You know that the sandwich is spelled “REUBEN”, right?

15 Emily S March 17, 2012 at 11:54 am

Looks yummy! I know we burned off all those calories! Great class!

16 Emily S March 17, 2012 at 11:55 am

Looks yummy!! I know we burned off all those calories! Great Class.

17 Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat March 17, 2012 at 11:59 am

So the hubby and I were thinking about going out last night and decided to stay in and make our own dinner & im glad we did- we had steak, chicken, sweet potatoe fries and salad- It was way better than a restaurant meal!

Have a great day Courtney!

18 Melissa @ Some Sugar Added March 17, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Is Jay using a turkey baster to fill the Jello shot cups? That’s such a good idea…I always spill the liquid all over the place when trying to fill those tiny cups!
Melissa @ Some Sugar Added recently posted..Old Fashioned Irish Soda Bread

19 Courtney March 17, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Hahaha, yes he is. Totally his idea too :)

20 Karen March 17, 2012 at 1:29 pm

That sandwich looks amazing! Totally craving one now! I’d much rather have a Reuben with turkey

21 Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt March 17, 2012 at 4:20 pm

I printed that recipe for overnight french toast and have not made it yet. I really need too.
Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt recently posted..MI Kinda Salad

22 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 17, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Hope you had a fun (and safe!!) day!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..fun facts friday

23 Laura March 17, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Have been craving a turkey reuben for weeks!! I may just have to make my own now!!! Those Jello shots look dangerous! ;)

24 michelle kim March 17, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Hooray, shenanigans!!!
Looking forward to hearing about them tomorrow ;D
michelle kim recently posted..The Half Marathon… That Wasn’t

25 Heather March 17, 2012 at 10:42 pm

that reuben looks so good. So do the shots!
Heather recently posted..RWS Features #16

26 Brien27 March 18, 2012 at 4:35 am

I’m Craving for all your recipe. all of it looks so good..I can’t wait to try it…
Brien27 recently posted..Applies in December 2012: The world will not end!