A Winner, a Thunderstorm, and a Monster Salad

by Courtney on May 16, 2012

And just like that, another Wednesday is quickly coming to a close…and a terribly uncreative blog post has been published. Sorry friends, that’s all I had tonight. But anyway, how’s Wednesday shaping up for all of you lovely people out there??

Lunch

As soon as I finished my last post earlier, I quickly headed out to the kitchen to whip up a quick lunch. I was in the mood for some color today, as if ya couldn’t tell…

Pretty green and orange cucumbers + baby carrots with roasted red pepper hummus.

Vibrant red and blue strawberries and blueberries covering up a plain Chobani yogurt, mixed with some granola I found left in my swag from the Blend Retreat.

My afternoon passed pretty quickly, included some potentially exciting prospects, a fun video gchat session with Tina, and some not-so-fun paying of bills. Ehh, two outta three ain’t bad, right?

Around 5:30pm, I noticed the skies were starting to darken up and then started hearing some rumbles of thunder in the background; before I knew it, we had a full on thunderstorm.

I always love me a good thunderstorm…even if it did cancel my scheduled softball game for tonight.

The rain was literally coming down in buckets!

The heavy stuff didn’t last long, and now we’re just left with some gloomy grey skies…perfect for curling up on the couch with my monster of a dinner salad a put together. You know it’s a monster when it’s made in one of my favorite mixing bowls that was actually leftover at the house from when this was my grandparents house.

What we’ve got here is a Double Turkey Salad: slices of deli turkey, turkey bacon, feta cheese, dried cranberries, lettuce, cucumbers, red onions, tomatoes, baby carrots, broccoli, yellow pepper, and pickles.

Then I went all chopped style on it…best way to serve a salad, in my opinion. Winking smile

Plans for tonight include, well, a whole lot of nothing since I had planned on heading out to my softball game. But that’s totally cool with me…I think I can handle that.

***The WINNER of the Reebok Custom Shoes Giveaway has been announced! Head on over to the original post to see if it was you!***

Question for the Evening:

Would you rather have…thunderstorm, windstorm, or snowstorm?

1 Jocelyn May 16, 2012 at 7:41 pm

My husband and I (and our black lab Clyde) live in my former grandparent’s home as well. So funny, I thought I was the only one!

2 Kristen @ notsodomesticated May 16, 2012 at 7:49 pm

As long as I don’t have to leave the house, I like a good rainstorm. However, if I have to be out in it, I’m not a happy camper! ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Completely worth spoiling my lunch.

3 Angela @ Sleep and Repeat May 16, 2012 at 8:09 pm

I’m the same as Kristen. I LOVE rainstorms when I don’t have to leave the house, but they’re not welcome if I do need to go outside! The best is when it’s pouring right as I get into bed – it just lulls me off to dreamland :)
Angela @ Sleep and Repeat recently posted..Tonight’s Clean Eating Failure (And Much-Needed Self-Reflection)

4 Lauren May 16, 2012 at 8:20 pm

I don’t seem to mind thunderstorms in the summer as long as they are brief and the sun comes out directly after.
That salad looks fantastic! Chopped salads are definitely the way to go!
Lauren recently posted..Everything I Eat in a Day

5 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake May 16, 2012 at 8:31 pm

I’d definitely take a thunderstorm! It was lightning like crazy where I live last night & I loved it! :-)
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..WIAW – Week 13

6 Suzanne(Fit Minded Mom) May 16, 2012 at 8:44 pm

I love big salads like that but I find putting them together so time consuming that I rarely eat them. I may have to make an exception soon!!
Suzanne(Fit Minded Mom) recently posted..My Reading Addiction

7 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction May 16, 2012 at 8:48 pm

It thundered in Boston this morning too! I would rather a rain storm over a snow storm any day. I hate snow, and I’d be happy if I never ever saw another snow flake ever again :)
Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..Healthy Convenience Foods

8 Shannon May 16, 2012 at 8:50 pm

I’d take a thunderstorm over a wind or snow storm any day! Unfortunately, thunderstorms don’t necessarily grant you a day off. :(

9 Brittney @ Brittney Breathing May 16, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Thunderstorm, for sure! We just had one last night actually!
Brittney @ Brittney Breathing recently posted..Just A Reminder

10 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles May 16, 2012 at 8:58 pm

That looks like a heck of a rainstorm!!!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Monster Cookie Dough Dip

11 Alyssa @ fit and fun in third May 16, 2012 at 8:59 pm

I love thunderstorms!! The best is during the night, for some crazy reason I find it do relaxing!
Alyssa @ fit and fun in third recently posted..W.I.A.W(edding) Edition

12 Lindsey May 16, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Thunderstorm! I love them as long as they don’t come too often in the summer. I also don;t mind a good blizzard in winter if I can stay home :)
Lindsey recently posted..Such a Klutz

13 Kaelin May 16, 2012 at 10:09 pm

I eat a salad almost everyday for lunch and put random stuff on it, basically whatever I can find in the frig/cabinets. Well yesterday was the first time I thought to throw on a diced pickle! DUH! It totally MADE my salad today. I am also a fan of a shaken chopped salad. Gotta shake it ;)

Thunderstorms any day.

14 Melissa @ SquatsandSquash May 16, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Why are chopped salads SO much better than normal salads?!?!

Oh, and I’m a thunderstorm girl. Definitely prefer curling up to a book in a storm!
Melissa @ SquatsandSquash recently posted..Vegas Outtake :)

15 Amber at Love, Laugh, Live Well May 16, 2012 at 10:46 pm

Thunderstorm all the way! I love them at night when I’m going to bed. It’s just soothing to me.

On another note…your blurb about the salad mixing bowl and your grandparents made me smile. My favorite salad bowl where I make my monster salads is from my grandmothers house. Makes me think of her and great memories every time that I use it. :)
Amber at Love, Laugh, Live Well recently posted..Would an in-store nutritionist help you shop healthier at the grocery store?

16 Lisa May 17, 2012 at 12:03 am

I definitely prefer snow storms! Well, only if I’m at home for them actually. There’s something about snow I find so comforting and cozy. Mm, I love the looks of your salad
Lisa recently posted..WIAW #8

17 Khushboo May 17, 2012 at 12:18 am

I love thunderstorms…as long as I’m indoors. Otherwise someone up there is just being cruel!

18 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope May 17, 2012 at 7:21 am

I would rather have a snowstorm! I’m missing them since we didn’t get much snow this winter. I love staying inside drinking coffee and watching movies all day :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Larabar Uber!…

19 Tina @ Best Body Fitness May 17, 2012 at 7:24 am

I am all about curling up indoors with a thunderstorm too. And it was lots of fun chatting. ;)
Tina @ Best Body Fitness recently posted..Motivation for Me…Motivation for You

20 Linz @ Itz Linz May 17, 2012 at 7:47 am

snowstorm! thunderstorms and windstorms scare me… being a teacher, usually school gets cancelled with snowstorms, so when i think of snowstorms i think of no work and being cuddled up at home for my day off :)
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Nutrition Fix

21 Lisa @ Jogging on Coffee May 17, 2012 at 8:29 am

I love thunderstorms! Its comforting to just cuddle up on the couch and listen to the rain.
Lisa @ Jogging on Coffee recently posted..I’m going to Iceland!!!

22 Andrea @ Vegvacious May 17, 2012 at 11:33 am

I am definitely a thunderstorm lovin’ gal! The only time I love a good snowstorm is if it means I get a freebie day off work!
Andrea @ Vegvacious recently posted..Staying Active at Home

23 Ruthie Hart May 17, 2012 at 11:57 am

this is how Austin has been looking the past couple of days but I love it! AFter last years drought and fires, we need it! And that salad looks amazing, I wish I could make those!
Ruthie Hart recently posted..DIY Desk Makeover

24 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More May 18, 2012 at 12:17 am

I LOVE thunderstorms! I love rain mainly, but living in SoCal, thunderstorms are one of my biggest weather misses. I just don’t miss the tornadoes that can come with them / with areas that have weather…
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Motivational Thursday