A New Tuesday Trend

Another workout in the books for today!

This morning I headed on out for an early morning BodyPump class and loved every second of it – last week’s class definitely sparked my interest for it again.

I was a little bummed when the instructor told us that today was going to have to be an “express” class, so she wound up taking out the tricep and lunge tracks. Lunges I could do without…but I was really looking forward to working my triceps, so I decided to keep my bar out at the end of class, cranked up the iPod, and did my own tricep workout for the duration of a song as if we usually would. I made sure to bust out some of my favorite tricep exercises, and by the end, I was totally feelin’ the burn.

I followed up ‘the pump’ with 20 minutes on the elliptical while attempting to catch up a bit on my Google Reader and then headed back home.

It’s quite muggy, warm, and sticky in our house right now, and the thought of a warm breakfast really was just not appealing to me, so I whipped up another quick batch of muesli.

Between the workout and this breakfast, it looks as if I’m starting a new Tuesday trend?

This time, I decided to soak my muesli in unsweetened vanilla almond milk rather than Greek yogurt, and it was (obviously) definitely not as thick. I actually think I prefer it better with the yogurt though; it just seemed more satisfying that way.

I topped it with some fresh blueberries, raspberries, banana chunks, and Love Grown Foods granola. It was definitely still tasty, but I think I’ll be going back to the yogurt next time.

While I was letting my muesli soak in the fridge, I actually took care of some extremely sad looking bananas that have been sitting on my counter for the past couple of days…

I’ve got a little somethin’ cooking up in the oven as we speak type and I’m excited to see how it turns out.

It was a slight experiment with ingredients, so if turns out decent, I’ll share the recipe. If not? Well then you’ll either see me eating it for the duration of the week or you just won’t see it at all. Winking smile

Questions for the Morning:

Do you prefer to follow recipes or do your own experimenting in the kitchen?

What types of meals/recipes are you most likely to experiment with?

I like to do both. I like experimenting with baking but it also scares me since one teaspoon too much or too little of something can wreck a recipe so I usually follow a recipe and make tweaks from there. I find cooking without a recipe is way more forgiving and you can taste test as you go along too! haha
    Lindsey recently posted..My First Race… As A Volunteer

I usually a recipe to work off of and then expiriment with changing some stuff from there :)
    I am most likely to experiment with pastas or marinades or stuff with hers etc stuff like that. I’m not a baking pro yet so I’m a little more to the book on that

i like to do a little of both. if i’m feeling lazy i’ll try out a recipe, and if i’m feeling creative then i’ll try to come up with something on my own. i have some bananas that are currently looking pretty pathetic right now too… banana bread sounds perfect!
    Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Playground Workout

I usually end up looking at a recipe and then putting my own twist on it. I basically only follow the recipe when it is something like a cake where messing with proportions could really mess with the end product :)
    Tara Deal recently posted..Breathing Fire

I love your breakfast bowl – it’s so colorful. I experiment with everything – baked goods and cooking food. But it’s more of making substitutes to make dishes healthier or use up what I have on hand.
    Alysha @Shesontherun recently posted..Weekend Update

6. Anne Marie says

I love BodyPump! That was the first thing I ever tried to get into strength training – totally changed my perspective on working out for life. My current gym doesn’t offer BodyBump and I miss it so much. Now I just have to crank out solo strength workouts, many thanks to you and Julie @PBFingers for the inspiration and motivation!

I’m jealous that you can read while working out! I think I bounce too much? And I’m more likely to go recipe-less when I’ve made a dish a few times and am confident I can do my own thing with it.
    Kristin @ FoodFash recently posted..Nanner Pudding

I tend to stick to the recipe EXACTLY, then at the end I’ll throw in a few more ingredients or amounts of stuff to make it more to my liking. I’m still new at the whole cooking thing, so I’m not brave enough to venture out of my recipe comfort zone :)
    Melissa @ SquatsandSquash recently posted..Sunday Night Prep

I like to do both. If its a new meal, the recipe is key. If its something we’ve moved into our weekly meal rotation, I like to get creative with it. Breakfasts are probably the most fun for me to get creative with. Since I make something just for me, its fun to get creative with my bowl of cereal by adding a variety of ingredients to the mix.

I like a mix of both. I love recipes for inspiration and then I make modifications from there. I’ve come across some of my favourite things by just mashing together things I had in the kitchen!

p.s. I’m a fellow Body Pumper – Its a great workout :)

I used to need to follow recipes exactly, but now I have fun experimenting with things. Salmon and chicken are two of my favorites, plus sauces, dressings and marinades for roasting veggies. I’m still not too comfortable experimenting with baking, but that’s probably due to my lack of baking, as I have no self-control for the treats I create. 😉
    Lauren @ Call Me Mrs. Rapp recently posted..Dijon & Herb Panko-Crusted Salmon

While I often use recipes to cook in the kitchen, or use recipes to guide me in trying something new, I grew up learning how to cook with no recipes. I remember my mom teaching me how to make a pot of Sunday gravy and telling me this many times around the pot for this seasoning or just to eyeball this ingredient. Gotta love Italian mothers.
    I love to experiment though, but I’ll experiment more with cooking than baking. :)
    Angela @ Health Happiness & Harmony recently posted..Sweats and Sushi

My BodyPump instructor did an express class once because she got stuck behind an accident and was running late. I have to admit, I definitely felt a little gipped missing out on a few of the tracks! I love BodyPump because it’s such an overall workout, so missing out on some muscle groups definitely stunk!

I love to experiment with cooking, and often times will loosely follow a recipe or idea and just add in what I have/what I like. I am HORRIBLE at experiementing with baking though. 99% of the time, mine come out as disasters if I don’t follow a recipe exactly!

I prefer to follow recipes. I’m afraid that if I experiment, I’ll screw something up and have to dump the whole thing away!

If I liked experimenting with food, I’d have to say I’d like to experiment with desserts. Maybe invent a couple different cookie flavors, cupcakes, etc.

Great.I love when I go to the kitchen and I find new things to do, in order to take care of your body and do it happily, we need to make tasty and nice all meals. I’m going to try the combination of the fruit with milk, can you offer me any other recipe?
    Rene recently posted..Personal Training Gold Coast