A New Tuesday Trend

by Courtney on May 22, 2012

Another workout in the books for today!

This morning I headed on out for an early morning BodyPump class and loved every second of it – last week’s class definitely sparked my interest for it again.

I was a little bummed when the instructor told us that today was going to have to be an “express” class, so she wound up taking out the tricep and lunge tracks. Lunges I could do without…but I was really looking forward to working my triceps, so I decided to keep my bar out at the end of class, cranked up the iPod, and did my own tricep workout for the duration of a song as if we usually would. I made sure to bust out some of my favorite tricep exercises, and by the end, I was totally feelin’ the burn.

I followed up ‘the pump’ with 20 minutes on the elliptical while attempting to catch up a bit on my Google Reader and then headed back home.

It’s quite muggy, warm, and sticky in our house right now, and the thought of a warm breakfast really was just not appealing to me, so I whipped up another quick batch of muesli.

Between the workout and this breakfast, it looks as if I’m starting a new Tuesday trend?

This time, I decided to soak my muesli in unsweetened vanilla almond milk rather than Greek yogurt, and it was (obviously) definitely not as thick. I actually think I prefer it better with the yogurt though; it just seemed more satisfying that way.

I topped it with some fresh blueberries, raspberries, banana chunks, and Love Grown Foods granola. It was definitely still tasty, but I think I’ll be going back to the yogurt next time.

While I was letting my muesli soak in the fridge, I actually took care of some extremely sad looking bananas that have been sitting on my counter for the past couple of days…

I’ve got a little somethin’ cooking up in the oven as we speak type and I’m excited to see how it turns out.

It was a slight experiment with ingredients, so if turns out decent, I’ll share the recipe. If not? Well then you’ll either see me eating it for the duration of the week or you just won’t see it at all. Winking smile

Questions for the Morning:

Do you prefer to follow recipes or do your own experimenting in the kitchen?

What types of meals/recipes are you most likely to experiment with?

1 Lindsey May 22, 2012 at 9:18 am

I like to do both. I like experimenting with baking but it also scares me since one teaspoon too much or too little of something can wreck a recipe so I usually follow a recipe and make tweaks from there. I find cooking without a recipe is way more forgiving and you can taste test as you go along too! haha
Lindsey recently posted..My First Race… As A Volunteer

2 Alyssa @ fit and fun in third May 22, 2012 at 9:21 am

I love to experiment with crock pot recipes… I swear, I feel like no matter what I throw in and let it simmer for hours comes out tasting amazing!
Alyssa @ fit and fun in third recently posted..On my 30th birthday…

3 Andrea @ Andrea out loud! May 22, 2012 at 9:24 am

I usually a recipe to work off of and then expiriment with changing some stuff from there :)
I am most likely to experiment with pastas or marinades or stuff with hers etc stuff like that. I’m not a baking pro yet so I’m a little more to the book on that

4 Michelle@PeachyPalate May 22, 2012 at 9:25 am

I like experimenting, though I can’t say I’m not disappointed when it goes wrong. Salad mixes are a great way to experiment with little potential for failure!
Michelle@PeachyPalate recently posted..Brownie Bites and Supersets

5 chelcie @ chelcie's food files May 22, 2012 at 9:25 am

mmm looks like a new banana bread recipe to me!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..First full Day Home

6 Adri @FoodieBeFit May 22, 2012 at 9:26 am

I am terrible for following recipes to the T. I will use them for inspiration or as a base, but always end up changing something.
Adri @FoodieBeFit recently posted..Slow Is The New Fast

7 Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie May 22, 2012 at 9:28 am

I can always use a good banana recipe (I don’t like actual bananas but I love the flavor, so I need to get my nutrients through other recipes), so I hope you like how it turns out!
Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie recently posted..So much for a Circuit

8 Lindsay @ Lindsay's List May 22, 2012 at 9:32 am

I could eat banana bread every single day!! With cream cheese. Hungry now.
Lindsay @ Lindsay’s List recently posted..tuesday trainer – balance

9 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries May 22, 2012 at 9:42 am

i’ve never even thought of putting cream cheese on my banana bread… i might have to try that one out. i usually go for the nut butter. ;)
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Playground Workout

10 Ashlee @ A Step in the Right Direction May 22, 2012 at 9:37 am

I had some sad looking bananas on the coutner last night so I made some Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins. I like following recipes though I do like to add things or substitute healthier things once in a while.
Ashlee @ A Step in the Right Direction recently posted..Busy Weekend

11 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers May 22, 2012 at 9:37 am

It’s so hard for me to bake banana recipes. I always want to eat the bananas before they get brown. (I like them best slightly freckled.)
Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers recently posted..Chest and Heart Workout

12 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope May 22, 2012 at 9:41 am

Most of the time I like to follow recipes exactly. I’m nervous that if I try something else, it won’t turn out right. I’m more apt to experiment in baking rather than cooking.
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Do You Luna?!…

13 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries May 22, 2012 at 9:41 am

i like to do a little of both. if i’m feeling lazy i’ll try out a recipe, and if i’m feeling creative then i’ll try to come up with something on my own. i have some bananas that are currently looking pretty pathetic right now too… banana bread sounds perfect!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Playground Workout

14 Jody May 22, 2012 at 9:42 am

You can always freeze the over-ripe sad bananas too … they make great smoothies

15 Khushboo May 22, 2012 at 9:42 am

I prefer to experiment with savoury meals as opposed to baked goods. In terms of ingredients and proportions, I find baking to be more of a science.
Khushboo recently posted..To eat or not to eat?

16 Tara Deal May 22, 2012 at 9:43 am

I usually end up looking at a recipe and then putting my own twist on it. I basically only follow the recipe when it is something like a cake where messing with proportions could really mess with the end product :)
Tara Deal recently posted..Breathing Fire

17 Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean May 22, 2012 at 9:44 am

oooh i love new banana recipes :)
Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean recently posted..My Go-To Meals: Mexican Loaded Sweet Potatoes

18 Yellow Haired Girl May 22, 2012 at 9:44 am

Oooh I hope that turns out! Can’t wait to see what’s in there :)
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..Here We Go Again…

19 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles May 22, 2012 at 9:45 am

I used up some even sadder looking bananas yesterday- they were *really* yucky! Hope that my muffins are okay…. I love the smell of baking sweet bread in the oven!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Holy Ouch! ….Week 24 & 25…

20 Alysha @Shesontherun May 22, 2012 at 9:49 am

I love your breakfast bowl – it’s so colorful. I experiment with everything – baked goods and cooking food. But it’s more of making substitutes to make dishes healthier or use up what I have on hand.
Alysha @Shesontherun recently posted..Weekend Update

21 Anne Marie May 22, 2012 at 9:58 am

I love BodyPump! That was the first thing I ever tried to get into strength training – totally changed my perspective on working out for life. My current gym doesn’t offer BodyBump and I miss it so much. Now I just have to crank out solo strength workouts, many thanks to you and Julie @PBFingers for the inspiration and motivation!

22 Katy @ Couch to 5Katy May 22, 2012 at 10:13 am

I usually follow a recipe, especially for baking because I want it to turn out. I like to experiment when making soups, pizzas, and pastas though! It is hard to mess those up.
Katy @ Couch to 5Katy recently posted..The Canned Chicken Incident

23 Kristin @ FoodFash May 22, 2012 at 10:25 am

I’m jealous that you can read while working out! I think I bounce too much? And I’m more likely to go recipe-less when I’ve made a dish a few times and am confident I can do my own thing with it.
Kristin @ FoodFash recently posted..Nanner Pudding

24 Melissa @ SquatsandSquash May 22, 2012 at 10:25 am

I tend to stick to the recipe EXACTLY, then at the end I’ll throw in a few more ingredients or amounts of stuff to make it more to my liking. I’m still new at the whole cooking thing, so I’m not brave enough to venture out of my recipe comfort zone :)
Melissa @ SquatsandSquash recently posted..Sunday Night Prep

25 Kati Mora, MS, RD, Kellogg's FiberPlus(R) Wellness Advocate May 22, 2012 at 11:05 am

I like to do both. If its a new meal, the recipe is key. If its something we’ve moved into our weekly meal rotation, I like to get creative with it. Breakfasts are probably the most fun for me to get creative with. Since I make something just for me, its fun to get creative with my bowl of cereal by adding a variety of ingredients to the mix.

26 Courtney May 22, 2012 at 11:16 am

I like a mix of both. I love recipes for inspiration and then I make modifications from there. I’ve come across some of my favourite things by just mashing together things I had in the kitchen!

p.s. I’m a fellow Body Pumper – Its a great workout :)

27 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers May 22, 2012 at 11:18 am

I love to get creative in the kitchen, but sometimes I get on a kick and I make the same breakfast everyday, whichis my breakfast jar parfait!!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Black Bean Burger, hit or miss you tell me

28 Liz @ IHeartVegetables May 22, 2012 at 11:18 am

I really need to go back to Body Pump. I’m always happy AFTER I go to class ;) haha

29 Kristen @ notsodomesticated May 22, 2012 at 12:04 pm

I typically like following recipes, but tweaking things a bit. I’m not quite adventurous enough yet to completely try my own thing! ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Saturday Morning at the Farmers’ Market (+ a Panini recipe!)

30 Lauren @ Call Me Mrs. Rapp May 22, 2012 at 12:08 pm

I used to need to follow recipes exactly, but now I have fun experimenting with things. Salmon and chicken are two of my favorites, plus sauces, dressings and marinades for roasting veggies. I’m still not too comfortable experimenting with baking, but that’s probably due to my lack of baking, as I have no self-control for the treats I create. ;)
Lauren @ Call Me Mrs. Rapp recently posted..Dijon & Herb Panko-Crusted Salmon

31 Angela @ Health Happiness & Harmony May 22, 2012 at 1:10 pm

While I often use recipes to cook in the kitchen, or use recipes to guide me in trying something new, I grew up learning how to cook with no recipes. I remember my mom teaching me how to make a pot of Sunday gravy and telling me this many times around the pot for this seasoning or just to eyeball this ingredient. Gotta love Italian mothers.
I love to experiment though, but I’ll experiment more with cooking than baking. :)
Angela @ Health Happiness & Harmony recently posted..Sweats and Sushi

32 Talia @ Bite Size Wellness May 22, 2012 at 1:30 pm

More often than not I am a follower. I don’t have that talent to throw together a few spices and voila magic happens. Usually what happens is I have a recipe to start from and then I finagle a bit from there depending on what I want or what I have on hand.
PS I think it is awesome you finished your class on your own:)
Talia @ Bite Size Wellness recently posted..Celebrate More: Rejoice in the Big and the Small

33 Stephanie @ My Freckled Life May 22, 2012 at 1:54 pm

My BodyPump instructor did an express class once because she got stuck behind an accident and was running late. I have to admit, I definitely felt a little gipped missing out on a few of the tracks! I love BodyPump because it’s such an overall workout, so missing out on some muscle groups definitely stunk!

I love to experiment with cooking, and often times will loosely follow a recipe or idea and just add in what I have/what I like. I am HORRIBLE at experiementing with baking though. 99% of the time, mine come out as disasters if I don’t follow a recipe exactly!

34 Dawn May 22, 2012 at 4:04 pm

I prefer to follow a recipe unless it is a dish I am familiar with, then I will try to tweak it a bit and make it my own, but I am still learning to cook and bake, so following a recipe is usually what I do!
Dawn recently posted..Stepping Out Of My Comfort Zone: My First VLOG

35 Shannon May 22, 2012 at 4:30 pm

I prefer to follow recipes. I’m afraid that if I experiment, I’ll screw something up and have to dump the whole thing away!

If I liked experimenting with food, I’d have to say I’d like to experiment with desserts. Maybe invent a couple different cookie flavors, cupcakes, etc.

36 ryan@personal training gold coast May 27, 2012 at 10:01 am

ryan@personal training gold coast recently posted..Hemorrhoids and Common Sense

37 Rene June 2, 2012 at 3:02 am

Great.I love when I go to the kitchen and I find new things to do, in order to take care of your body and do it happily, we need to make tasty and nice all meals. I’m going to try the combination of the fruit with milk, can you offer me any other recipe?
Rene recently posted..Personal Training Gold Coast