5 Recipes To Make This Memorial Day

by Courtney on May 25, 2012

With the upcoming Memorial Day holiday weekend ahead of us, I’m sure many of you will have some sort of event/party/gathering to attend. Even if you don’t have an actual party to head to, there’s still plenty of opportunity to put together a nice menu at home.

Either way, today I’ve got five fun and festive recipes that will be perfect for any Memorial Day plans you may have…from salads, right down to desserts!

A couple salads to start…

Creamy Fruit & Tortellini Salad

View Recipe HERE

fruit and tortellini salad

Grilled Potato Salad with Parsley Pesto

View Recipe HERE

parsley pesto potato salad

A main course…

Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Chicken

View Recipe HERE

A sweet snack…

Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Sandwiches

View Recipe HERE

And a festive dessert! Totally a favorite of mine…

Stars and Stripes Cookie Cake

View Recipe HERE

stars and stripes cookie cake

Now I’m thinking I may need to make this cookie cake again this year. Winking smile

Question for the Afternoon:

Anyone have any fun plans for the Memorial Day holiday weekend?

1 Kristen @ notsodomesticated May 25, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Everything looks so yummy!! We’re going to stay the night in downtown Atlanta tomorrow … go for a nice dinner, maybe hang out by the pool at our hotel. :) Nothing too crazy, but it should be fun!

2 Sara @ The Foodie Diaries May 25, 2012 at 1:42 pm

I LOVE the stars & stripes cookie cake! I’ve already printed out the recipe here at work and am going to the grocery store tonight to buy ingredients! :)
Sara @ The Foodie Diaries recently posted..Tomorrow.

3 Linz @ Itz Linz May 25, 2012 at 1:54 pm

AH! Those all look AMAZING!!! I usually make a stars and stripes cake for the Fourth but I like your idea of making it for Memorial Day, too!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..A bagpipe, a birthday, and a judgement-free summer

4 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance May 25, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Those all look great! Thanks for sharing! I’m hopefully going to the beach in Maine this weekend :)
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Avocado Mac ‘N Cheese

5 Ellie@Fit for the Soul May 25, 2012 at 2:20 pm

omgness everryyyyything seems like a SCORE! :D from the salads to the desserts–they’ve gotta taste good.
Ellie@Fit for the Soul recently posted..Green Onion and Spinach Quiche for One

6 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles May 25, 2012 at 2:30 pm

I would take any of those for a Memorial day treat! …. We will be attending services and hopefully seeing some family- so that means travel.
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..I can’t wait to be a mom….

7 Ashley @ The North Carolina Cowgirl May 25, 2012 at 3:05 pm

It all looks so tasty! I think I’ll go home and try the pretzels. They look absolutely delicious!
Ashley @ The North Carolina Cowgirl recently posted..Myrtle Beach Bike Week Recap

8 Alysia @ Slim Sanity May 25, 2012 at 3:41 pm

umm that grilled potato salad with parsley pesto? made my mouth water.
Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted..one challenge down

9 Jaren@Kiwi Fit Blog May 25, 2012 at 3:54 pm

The Potato salad with the parsley pesto and the pulled chicken both look DELICIOUS!
Jaren@Kiwi Fit Blog recently posted..Lazy Day

10 Danica @ It's Progression May 25, 2012 at 3:58 pm

might have to try the potatoes, we’re having a grill-out at our place this weekend and those would be perfect!
other plans for my weekend? my first half marathon Sunday morning!
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..Birthday Breakfast (overnight oats recipe! *dairy free)

11 Jodi @ I Run for Food and Wine May 25, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Pool & Reading!

And still remembering Memorial Day is for the Union soldiers of the Civil War
Jodi @ I Run for Food and Wine recently posted..It’s National Wine Day…Let’s Do This!!

12 Sabrina @Work It Ms Jackson May 25, 2012 at 4:25 pm

These look fabulous! We have no major plans. It was going to be an all out yardwork weekend. It was supposed to be done a few weeks ago but my daughter broke her arm, so we had to postpone it. But instead of all weekend yardwork party, it looks like it may only be a Saturday yardwork party. There’s this nice little storm system (that may or may not turn into a tropical storm) off the southeast coast so there’s a high chance of rain Sunday and Monday. :( Here’s hoping it stays a way but we’re pumping out as much as we can tomorrow in case it rains the rest of the weekend
Sabrina @Work It Ms Jackson recently posted..The weekend and a few more runs

13 Morgan May 25, 2012 at 5:28 pm

The potato salad looks yummy! And I can’t say no to anything chocolate peanut butter
Morgan recently posted..Friday Favorites

14 Fiona @ Get Fit Fiona May 25, 2012 at 5:45 pm

That fruit and tortellini salad looks delicious!
Fiona @ Get Fit Fiona recently posted..Mountain Equipment Co-op

15 Shannon May 25, 2012 at 6:11 pm

That Stars and Stripes cookie cake looks delicious! Is that a whipped frosting or is it just vanilla buttercream on top? I can’t believe that cookie is THAT big-it’s a sugar cookie I’m assuming. I love strawberries and blueberries so that would be perfect for me. Maybe I’ll tackle this on the 4th of July? It’s supposed to be 85 degrees on Monday and I really don’t want to heat up my house as much as I have to.

Have a great long weekend! :)

16 michelle kim May 25, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Chocolate peanut butter pretzel sandwiches…. so very genius!!
michelle kim recently posted..Fun in the Not-Sun

17 Kelly @ Femme Fitale May 25, 2012 at 7:30 pm

I agree with Michelle!

Chocolate PB Pretzels?! Bookmarkeeeed! :)
Kelly @ Femme Fitale recently posted..Cardio Intervals & Pasta Night

18 Katy May 25, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Those pretzel sandwiches look amazing! I love a good salty+sweet combo! My brother is graduating from college this weekend. I think it’s a bit strange to have a college graduation on the Sunday morning of Memorial Day Weekend but oh well!
Katy recently posted..The Highlight Reel

19 Danielle @ itsaharleyyylife May 25, 2012 at 8:28 pm

I’m going to try that cookie cake! Looks so good!
Danielle @ itsaharleyyylife recently posted..Shopping Spree

20 Sarah May 25, 2012 at 9:49 pm

YUMTOWN!!! We’re going on a roadtrip all week long w/ cousins to DC, NY, Niagara Falls, and Philly the whole week. Can’t wait :)

21 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake May 25, 2012 at 10:04 pm

I really want to try the fruit & tortellini salad!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..WIAW – Week 14

22 Brandi May 26, 2012 at 12:14 pm

These are some great recipes! :) I am totally making the potatoes! :)

No big plans, just spending some time catching up on some things, including rest. :)

23 Born27 May 28, 2012 at 11:28 am

These are all delicious! I love the potato salad and the creamy fruit salad.. So mouth-watering! Yummy!
Born27 recently posted..http://www.abconferencecall.com

24 Heidi19 May 29, 2012 at 1:23 am

Thanks for this mouth-watering recipes!! I love salad so much, specially fruit. That is why i’m so excited to try this recipe.
Heidi19 recently posted..Arowana – a prized investment catch or …

25 2012 Camera Christmas Deals December 10, 2012 at 7:05 pm

Many thanks for creating the effort to discuss this, I feel strongly about this and enjoy studying a great deal more on this topic. If feasible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your webpage with a great deal more details Its very helpful for me.