The ‘Oops We Made Too Much’ Cart

by Courtney on June 13, 2012

So glad you guys are diggin’ the Commercial Break Workout! Did anyone give it a try yet? I may have to give it another go later this evening while Jay and I catch up on our episode of Franklin and Bash (<—love this show, btw).

Rewind to last night…I had a shift at work so I kept dinner quick and simple.

I sautéed up some broccoli, red pepper, a leftover ear of corn on the cob from Saturday, and a sliced link of chicken sausage in Italian dressing and topped it all with some crumbled feta cheese.

I honestly didn’t have too many expectations with this, since I just sort of threw it all together as I went, but this dish was killer. So, so good!

But not quite as good as the dessert we had a little while later…

While I was checking out at the grocery store the other day, I happened to pick the line that has the “Oops, we made too much!” cart right next to it. The cart usually has a bunch of stuff from the bakery for 50% off, and while it’s always rather tempting, I usually try to avoid looking through it.

Well this time, I spotted a strawberry angel food cake for $1.00, so I had to grab it. Last night, I made Jay and I a couple dessert dishes with the angel food cake, fresh strawberries and blueberries, fat-free whipped topping, a drizzle of heated up raspberry preserves, and a couple white chocolate chips.

WOW. Why do I always let myself forget just how delicious angel food cake is??

I’m not gonna lie. The thought of repeating it again for breakfast this morning was sounding mighty good, but I refrained. Instead, I brought back an old favorite…

Coffee + an egg, provolone, and raspberry jam waffle sandwich. Always a winner in my book.

Once this all digests it’s time to get goin’ on my yoga challenge…I’ve got plans to try out a new online workout, so I’ll be sure to let ya know how it goes later today!

Question for the Morning:

What bakery items, if any, would you be tempted to buy only if they were 50% off?

1 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction June 13, 2012 at 8:49 am

MMMM Angel food cake is the bestt!! I am usually tempted by cheesecake or fresh chocolate chip cookies!
Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..Movie Theater Pet Peeves

2 Ashlee @ A Step in the Right Direction June 13, 2012 at 8:51 am

I love Angel Food Cake! When Price Chopper has it on sale I pick one up. I pair it with fat free cool whip and fresh strawberries :) Yum – I actually have some at the house now from last weeks sale.
Ashlee @ A Step in the Right Direction recently posted..Rainy Tuesday

3 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope June 13, 2012 at 8:52 am

Your dessert looks delicious! I love Angel food cake. It’s so light and fluffy! The perfect summer dessert :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Wedding Talk Wednesday: Wedding Thoughts & Updates…

4 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance June 13, 2012 at 8:56 am

I almost never buy bakery items other than bread. The only thing I’d buy 50% would probably be some really good looking cookies. I almost always hate cupcakes and cakes that are from the grocery store. Homemade is best!
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday #9

5 chelcie @ chelcie's food files June 13, 2012 at 8:57 am

your breakfast sammy looks deLISH

6 Faith @ For the Health of It June 13, 2012 at 9:16 am

For a second I thought you were talking about the Lululemon “oops we made too much” section of their website – that would definitely be one dangerous shopping cart!

I’d stock up on whole grain baguettes or sourdough ciabattas if I ever saw those on a discounted bakery rack!

7 Courtney June 13, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Oh man, we love ciabatta bread over here!

8 Khushboo June 13, 2012 at 9:17 am

I looove angel food cake…and it’s so airy that I tell myself that they’re couldnt possibly be butter in there :). If I saw blueberry muffins or carrot cake on sale, I’m not sure I’d be able to resist!
Khushboo recently posted..Re-defining “healthy”

9 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles June 13, 2012 at 9:21 am

A whole wheat bread to make an egg bake gets me every time! …. so would strawberry angel food cake! I love angel food cake!!!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..I envy you….

10 Yellow Haired Girl June 13, 2012 at 9:28 am

I did yoga this morning too! I think my shoulders are going to be quite sore :) that dessert looks heavenly!
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..Sometimes A Girl Just Wants A Sandwich

11 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries June 13, 2012 at 9:31 am

your’s and julie’s (pb fingers) meals resemble one another’s too much! it’s too funny. i know you two have mentioned being one another’s “twin” before, so that only makes sense! ;)
mmm angel food cake – love it!! and for a dessert option, it’s not too shabby compared to other desserts on the nutrition side of things.
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..WIAW #38: Where Did My Appetite Go?!

12 Courtney June 13, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Haha, I think you are the third person to say this within 24 hours. Too funny! :)

13 Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie June 13, 2012 at 9:36 am

That dessert looks wonderful. I always forget about angel food cake!
Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie recently posted..Tuesday Night BBQ

14 Kristen @ notsodomesticated June 13, 2012 at 9:38 am

The other day, I saw some delicious looking black and white cookies at the grocery store bakery. If those were 50% off, I’d be all over them!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Ben and Jerry know what’s up.

15 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life June 13, 2012 at 9:43 am

I do like angel food cake, but I tend to lean towards baked goods like breads and buns in the clearance section. That way, I am able to get what I need and just toss some of it in the freezer to thaw out at another time. I would actually love to try and make my own angel food cake sometime, definitely something I have never tried before!
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..WIAW: Chicago Edition

16 Amanda @Live. Laugh. Learn. June 13, 2012 at 9:51 am

Your breakfast looks delicious!

17 krystal@coffeecardiogoddess June 13, 2012 at 9:52 am

Angel food cake is seriously good! I love it topped with a dollop of nutella and a drizzle of chocolate sauce witha few burnt marshmallows. Seriously amazing!
krystal@coffeecardiogoddess recently posted..WIAW: On my Own

18 Courtney June 13, 2012 at 12:15 pm

WOAH. That sounds amazing!!

19 Jaren@Kiwi Fit Blog June 13, 2012 at 9:54 am

That scrambe at the top with the chicken sausage looks YUMMY.
Jaren@Kiwi Fit Blog recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday #6

20 Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health June 13, 2012 at 9:54 am

Oh boy I would probably buy something chocolate…or cinnamon buns if they looked gooey and tasty :). That dinner looks awesome! I love it when random things turn out delicious
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Opening Up

21 Courtney June 13, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Ohhh, cinnamon buns. How I love them so :)

22 Courtney @ Outrunning Insecurities June 13, 2012 at 9:56 am

If given a choice between angel’s food cake and devil’s food cake I will almost always choose devil’s food. I love chocolate too much not to. But that doesn’t mean I don’t like strawberry shortcake. My grandfather’s favorite kind of cake is actually an angel’s food cake soaked with strawberry jello and Cool Whip I think? Something like that. Most people in my family like it, but I can’t stomach soggy textures. Same reason I don’t really like french toast.
Courtney @ Outrunning Insecurities recently posted..“I Can’t Get No Satisfaction”

23 Courtney June 13, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Yes! My mom and I actually make something very similar – http://www.sweettoothsweetlife.com/2010/04/18/carb-o-licious-dinner/

24 Eryn June 13, 2012 at 10:08 am

I love apple fritters, they are delish! Rarely do I head to the bakery area, but when I do, thats what I’m after.

25 Caitlin @ This Bride's Joyride June 13, 2012 at 10:12 am

I would probably be tempted to buy any bakery food at 50% off, haha! I do love angel food cake with cool whip and strawberries — it always reminds me of my childhood when my Mom wanted to make a quick dessert similar to strawberry shortcake. :)

26 Alysia @ Slim Sanity June 13, 2012 at 10:18 am

I’ll go for any kind of specialty bread… yum!
Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted..WIAW: peanut butter protein energy bites

27 Jenna@Redheadrunningwild June 13, 2012 at 10:34 am

hmm well I’m tempted to buy bakery items even when they are full price so this is a tough one! haha But if I had to pick I would probably say some sort of chocolate cake….mmmm! That breakfast looks good, I love eggo waffles, they make great pre-workout fuel!
Jenna@Redheadrunningwild recently posted..8 easy miles and eating like a pig for date night

28 Courtney June 13, 2012 at 12:17 pm

They are great, aren’t they? I go back and forth between Eggo & Vans, but Eggo was on sale this week ;)

29 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake June 13, 2012 at 10:52 am

I absolutely love bakery cupcakes! The frosting is always super-thick & sugary… my favorite!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Health Benefits of Blueberries

30 Leanne June 13, 2012 at 10:55 am

I haven’t had Angel Food Cake since being in Wichita — and that’s 3 years ago :o!! I want some too ;-) Yummy. I haven’t yet tried to make it myself and the bakkeries here don’t sell them. So… I either need to visit the States or start baking some myself because this looks too good to pass ;-)
Leanne recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday – Sensible Snacking – Nuts & Seeds LOVERRRR

31 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile June 13, 2012 at 11:11 am

I actually gave the workout a try last night! It was awesome. A lot better than sitting on my butt for hours ;D
Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile recently posted..WIAW: Sneak Peek

32 Courtney June 13, 2012 at 12:18 pm

YAY! :-D

33 Angela June 13, 2012 at 11:17 am

I think I would be tempted to buy all of the 50% off bakery items! Haha! I love angel food cake and it’s been awhile since I had it, I don’t think I pass on the $1 price tag!
Angela recently posted..Random Rambles

34 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers June 13, 2012 at 11:20 am

Love the angel food cake dessert! I don’t know what it is about angel foodcake but I love it!!! It’s my favorite. Great find!!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..My Big Fat Greek Salad

35 Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness June 13, 2012 at 11:21 am

Your dinner looks great! Sometimes the throw together dinners are the best ones, maybe cause we don’t expect them to be!
Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness recently posted..What I ate Wednesday

36 Kailey June 13, 2012 at 11:38 am

Have you ever had Alfreso Chicken Sausages? The Sun-dried Tomato Basil is amazing and I bet it would taste great in your dinners :)
Love me some angel food cake too!
Kailey recently posted..Wrappin’ It Up

37 Courtney June 13, 2012 at 12:19 pm

That’s actually the brand I used the past two nights! I’ve never seen the sun-dried tomato kind though…that sounds awesome! These were Italian-style, which were delicious :)

38 Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom June 13, 2012 at 11:48 am

Last nights dessert looks AWESOME!!! I like angel food cake because it isn’t too high in fat/calories and with added berries it is a delicious semi-healthy dessert!
I hardly ever buy bakery goods but I could be very tempted to pick up the “lofthouse” sugar cookies with icing if I ever find them marked down. They are my FAVE but very dangerous to have around!!
Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom recently posted..Happy Hump Day

39 Molly Ritterbeck June 13, 2012 at 12:01 pm

I am just loving all the food that you post and I love that heart mug you use often!
Molly Ritterbeck recently posted..What’s New Wednesday #9

40 Courtney June 13, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Thanks, Molly! :)

41 Whitney @ Whit Likes Fit June 13, 2012 at 12:34 pm

That dinner looks delish. I’d never have thought to put a chicken sausage in with those veggies but I’m going to have to try it. Such an easy sounding meal to pull together.
Whitney @ Whit Likes Fit recently posted..Sweat is fat crying

42 Shannon June 13, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Brownies, fudge fancies, and anything chocolate tempts me to grab it off the shelf, open the box, and stuff my face into it. I have a problem when it comes to chocolate, let’s just say. ;)

43 Sam @ Fit for My Fork June 13, 2012 at 1:03 pm

I’d be tempted to buy far too many bakery items if they were 50% off! Cookies, though, always end up in my cart if they have one of the reduced stickers on them…
Sam @ Fit for My Fork recently posted..Fit Body, Fit Mind: Ashley

44 Jolynn June 13, 2012 at 1:53 pm

I try to steer clear of the bakery at all costs.. I’m a sucker for cinnamon raisin bread!
Jolynn recently posted..Low Fat Zucchini Bread

45 Maura @ My Healthy 'Ohana June 13, 2012 at 7:30 pm

I love angel food cake with fresh strawberries and vanilla ice cream…one of my favorite quick desserts :) Gotta remember to add white chocolate chips next time, sounds yummy!!
Maura @ My Healthy ‘Ohana recently posted..Scrambled eggs in the microwave?

46 Haley @ Housegirl Haley June 13, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Your dinner looks amazing! I love when throwing a bunch of stuff together turns out amazing! I wish I could find chicken sausage. My grocery store never has any.
Haley @ Housegirl Haley recently posted..Chevron, Starfish, & Luke Bryan {OHP#6}

47 Stacey June 13, 2012 at 9:37 pm

What kind of waffles do u use?… Also I love angel food cake layered with fat free cool whip mixed with raspberry Greek yogurt!

48 Courtney June 13, 2012 at 10:10 pm

This particular batch is Eggo, but I tend to switch between them and Van’s. They’re both good :)

49 Born27 June 15, 2012 at 12:22 am

Wow! what a fabulous desert. Makes me want to dive in for a bite. That is why i can’t wait to try this one. Thanks for sharing and i’m looking forward on your next post!
Born27 recently posted..internet calling

50 Joerge June 15, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Delicious kind of dessert! I cant wait to make this one. Thanks and hope you’re having a fun weekend!