The ‘Oops We Made Too Much’ Cart

So glad you guys are diggin’ the Commercial Break Workout! Did anyone give it a try yet? I may have to give it another go later this evening while Jay and I catch up on our episode of Franklin and Bash (<—love this show, btw).

Rewind to last night…I had a shift at work so I kept dinner quick and simple.

I sautéed up some broccoli, red pepper, a leftover ear of corn on the cob from Saturday, and a sliced link of chicken sausage in Italian dressing and topped it all with some crumbled feta cheese.

I honestly didn’t have too many expectations with this, since I just sort of threw it all together as I went, but this dish was killer. So, so good!

But not quite as good as the dessert we had a little while later…

While I was checking out at the grocery store the other day, I happened to pick the line that has the “Oops, we made too much!” cart right next to it. The cart usually has a bunch of stuff from the bakery for 50% off, and while it’s always rather tempting, I usually try to avoid looking through it.

Well this time, I spotted a strawberry angel food cake for $1.00, so I had to grab it. Last night, I made Jay and I a couple dessert dishes with the angel food cake, fresh strawberries and blueberries, fat-free whipped topping, a drizzle of heated up raspberry preserves, and a couple white chocolate chips.

WOW. Why do I always let myself forget just how delicious angel food cake is??

I’m not gonna lie. The thought of repeating it again for breakfast this morning was sounding mighty good, but I refrained. Instead, I brought back an old favorite…

Coffee + an egg, provolone, and raspberry jam waffle sandwich. Always a winner in my book.

Once this all digests it’s time to get goin’ on my yoga challenge…I’ve got plans to try out a new online workout, so I’ll be sure to let ya know how it goes later today!

Question for the Morning:

What bakery items, if any, would you be tempted to buy only if they were 50% off?

For a second I thought you were talking about the Lululemon “oops we made too much” section of their website – that would definitely be one dangerous shopping cart!

I’d stock up on whole grain baguettes or sourdough ciabattas if I ever saw those on a discounted bakery rack!

your’s and julie’s (pb fingers) meals resemble one another’s too much! it’s too funny. i know you two have mentioned being one another’s “twin” before, so that only makes sense! 😉
    mmm angel food cake – love it!! and for a dessert option, it’s not too shabby compared to other desserts on the nutrition side of things.
    Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..WIAW #38: Where Did My Appetite Go?!

I do like angel food cake, but I tend to lean towards baked goods like breads and buns in the clearance section. That way, I am able to get what I need and just toss some of it in the freezer to thaw out at another time. I would actually love to try and make my own angel food cake sometime, definitely something I have never tried before!
    Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..WIAW: Chicago Edition

If given a choice between angel’s food cake and devil’s food cake I will almost always choose devil’s food. I love chocolate too much not to. But that doesn’t mean I don’t like strawberry shortcake. My grandfather’s favorite kind of cake is actually an angel’s food cake soaked with strawberry jello and Cool Whip I think? Something like that. Most people in my family like it, but I can’t stomach soggy textures. Same reason I don’t really like french toast.
    Courtney @ Outrunning Insecurities recently posted..“I Can’t Get No Satisfaction”

I would probably be tempted to buy any bakery food at 50% off, haha! I do love angel food cake with cool whip and strawberries — it always reminds me of my childhood when my Mom wanted to make a quick dessert similar to strawberry shortcake. :)

• Courtney says

They are great, aren’t they? I go back and forth between Eggo & Vans, but Eggo was on sale this week 😉

6. Angela says

I think I would be tempted to buy all of the 50% off bakery items! Haha! I love angel food cake and it’s been awhile since I had it, I don’t think I pass on the $1 price tag!
    Angela recently posted..Random Rambles

• Courtney says

That’s actually the brand I used the past two nights! I’ve never seen the sun-dried tomato kind though…that sounds awesome! These were Italian-style, which were delicious :)

Last nights dessert looks AWESOME!!! I like angel food cake because it isn’t too high in fat/calories and with added berries it is a delicious semi-healthy dessert!
    I hardly ever buy bakery goods but I could be very tempted to pick up the “lofthouse” sugar cookies with icing if I ever find them marked down. They are my FAVE but very dangerous to have around!!
    Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom recently posted..Happy Hump Day

Brownies, fudge fancies, and anything chocolate tempts me to grab it off the shelf, open the box, and stuff my face into it. I have a problem when it comes to chocolate, let’s just say. 😉

9. Stacey says

What kind of waffles do u use?… Also I love angel food cake layered with fat free cool whip mixed with raspberry Greek yogurt!

10. Born27 says

Wow! what a fabulous desert. Makes me want to dive in for a bite. That is why i can’t wait to try this one. Thanks for sharing and i’m looking forward on your next post!
    Born27 recently posted..internet calling