The Stare Down

by Courtney on June 19, 2012

Thanks so much for all the positive vibes this morning you guys. I’m definitely feeling a bit better from where I was at this morning – part of it mentally, but mostly because my darn nose finally calmed down!

But in regards to the rest of my crap morning, reader Annie ended up leaving a link to an article in the comments section about positive thinking and 7 ways to improve a bad day. The article really made some great points, so if you’re in need of a little mental boost, I’d definitely recommend checking it out. Sometimes all it takes is a quick reminder on how to put things into perspective. Thanks, Annie!

In regards to that other thing I briefly mentioned this morning…’tis true. I’m going to be on TV tomorrow morning. And can I just tell you how stinkin’ nervous I am?!? I’ve done the radio before, which was fun and definitely a lot less intimidating, but this is different. Wayyyy different.

Despite the nerves, I am really excited about it. I’m going to be on a local morning news show (Fox23 News Daybreak) talking about healthy summer beverage alternatives and low calorie cocktail recipe ideas. I’m actually even going to be making a cocktail on set (at 6:45am booze, baby!), so here’s to hoping I don’t end up spilling it all over myself and the host. And as long as all goes somewhat well and I don’t end up making a fool of myself, I’ll be sure to embed the video clip of the segment later tomorrow morning. So everyone please keep your fingers crossed for me. Eeeek!

Lunch

Good stuff on the menu today, folks. Gooooood stuff.

I put together some spring mix, grape tomatoes, carrots, green onions, sugar snap peas, leftover corn on the cob, and leftover chicken from last night. I then topped it with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and some spices, making for one heck of a salad. Funny enough, as I was photographing today’s meal, I happened to acquire a little visitor right off to the side of this bowl here…

Check out that stare down! Sorry Charlie Cody.

This was one of the best salads I’ve had in weeks and, of course, it really got good once I got all that lettuce outta there. Winking smile

That is, by far, my favorite part of a salad…gimme all those toppings!

I’m actually still feeling a bit hungry, so I may have to go grab another somethin’ before heading over to get my hair did. I’m thinking I may want to go with some more red again…what do you guys think? Winking smile

1 Khushboo June 19, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Any chance you can sip of the cocktail before you go on? Might help calm you down ;). I kid but in all seriousness, I am sure you will rock it!
Khushboo recently posted..Whole Foods comes home!

2 Whitney June 19, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Good luck tomorrow!!

I’m a blonde so I say go lighter! :)

3 Alyssa @ fit and fun in third June 19, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Your gonna rock it tomorrow!!! Can’t wait to check out your television debut girlie!!! I agree with the comment ahead of me… Maybe a sip of that cocktail will help the nerves! ;)
Alyssa @ fit and fun in third recently posted..These next few days…

4 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance June 19, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Good luck tomorrow! Maybe you’ll get your own show! ;)
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Kale Quinoa Salad and My First 5 Mile Run!

5 Olivia June 19, 2012 at 2:48 pm

How exciting! Good luck tomorrow! :)
Olivia recently posted..Six Months Ago

6 Sara @ The Foodie Diaries June 19, 2012 at 2:52 pm

I’m the EXACT same way with salads! I love the toppings more than the lettuce itself! Goodluck tomorrow! When I’m nervous about something I keep myself distracted until it’s time to actually do the thing I’m nervous about! I realize that the anticipation is worse than actually doing whatever it is and then it’s smooth sailing from there! :)
Sara @ The Foodie Diaries recently posted..Strength Training & a Surprise!

7 Sabrina @Work It Ms Jackson June 19, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Good luck tomorrow! You’ll do great!
Sabrina @Work It Ms Jackson recently posted..Perfect Way To End A Monday Night

8 Kristen @ notsodomesticated June 19, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Good luck tomorrow morning!! I’m sure you’ll do an awesome job!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Food Trucks Rock (plus some exciting news!).

9 kristin June 19, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Congrats and you will do great. That is so exciting! I wish you nothing but the best. Remember to have fun with it

10 Lisa June 19, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Wahoo, congrats on the gig! How fun. Good luck with the show! I’m positive you’ll do awesome though. Haha, looks like Cody really wants a bite of that salad ;) I definitely like the red in your hair! It suits you really well.

11 Taylor @ A Taste of Taylor June 19, 2012 at 3:06 pm

That salad looks so yummy! I was already planning on making one for dindin tonight and now I’ve got some new ideas for extra toppings :) GOOD LUCK with your TV appearance tomorrow, I can’t wait to hear all about it!
Taylor @ A Taste of Taylor recently posted..Some Serious Tone On This Toned Tuesday…

12 Michelle@Peachy Palate June 19, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Good luck tomorrow! Yes go with more red it really suits you! Food always makes a bad day better, nothing like a winner of salad :)
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..Simply the best

13 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More June 19, 2012 at 3:12 pm

That’s so cool that you’re going to be on TV! Good luck, I’m sure it will be super fun and you’ll do great. :)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..I Survived!

14 Lindsay @ Fuel My Family June 19, 2012 at 3:45 pm

I agree, its all about the raw veggies on top of the salad. I should just cut up the topping and add dressing. The lettuce just get in the way sometimes!
Lindsay @ Fuel My Family recently posted..Week of Workouts

15 Megan @ The I Do Diaries June 19, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Good luck with your TV segment tomorrow-I’m sure you’ll do great! Early boozing it is though, whew! ;-) I’m with you on the toppings being the best part of salad. I don’t dislike lettuce but I just see it as more of a filler than anything else. Using baby spinach is a good alternative once in a while too.

I saw that article on my Twitter feed this morning-definitely helps put things back in perspective. We could always use that reminder every now and then :)

16 Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom June 19, 2012 at 3:52 pm

My salads NEVER look that appetizing! I almost never make salads for lunch because they always end up being so dull and boring. I guess the key is getting lots of veggies and toppings to add to the variety but I fear they will end up going bad.

I cannot wait to see the video clip of your television appearance tomorrow. I am sure you will look like a pro!!
Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom recently posted..It’s Getting Hot Out There

17 Jolynn June 19, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Wow that’s awesome! Congratulations and good luck!!
Jolynn recently posted..NEWSFLASH – Healthy Living Blog

18 Janae Wise June 19, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Good luck with your TV debut! I’m sure you’ll be fab-u-lous. A great tip I remember from a PR class, when on TV, pay attention to what you’re doing with your hands. A lot of people unknowingly fidget (nerves, I s’pose). So be aware of that. You’ll be perfect!

Love your salad–I’m with ya, love the toppings the best.

19 Kati Mora, MS, RD, Kellogg's FiberPlus(R) Wellness Advocate June 19, 2012 at 4:06 pm

This looks so yummy and fiberlicious! Who says you need lettuce anyways? ;)

20 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile June 19, 2012 at 4:29 pm

That is so exciting!!! Good luck, you will do awesome!
Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile recently posted..Feeling It

21 Kailey June 19, 2012 at 4:30 pm

good luck tomorrow :) I know you are going to do great!! Sending you positive vibes
Kailey recently posted..Recreating an Oldie

22 Talia @ Bite Size Wellness June 19, 2012 at 4:50 pm

How exciting about your TV debut tomorrow! I know you are going to be fabulous…do I see a talk show in your future?? :)
Your salad today looks a lot like mine minus the snap peas and add avocado. Yum!
Talia @ Bite Size Wellness recently posted..No Posts Were Found!

23 Angela June 19, 2012 at 5:11 pm

I do the same thing with my salads! I eat all of the lettuce first
Angela recently posted..What I Wore Saturday

24 Becka @ simplybecka June 19, 2012 at 6:37 pm

I love your hair, saw your picture on twitter. ^_^ Excellent choice going red.
Becka @ simplybecka recently posted..journal your day…

25 Baking Serendipity June 19, 2012 at 8:47 pm

My dog goes nuts when I sit food on the floor for photographs. He knows it can’t be eaten, but wants some anyhow :) Good luck on the tv segment!
Baking Serendipity recently posted..Roasted Strawberry and Cinnamon Basil Risotto

26 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake June 19, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Good luck tomorrow! Can’t wait to watch the clip!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..My Fitness Bucket List

27 Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie June 19, 2012 at 9:10 pm

The addition of the leftover corn is genius! Looks great!
Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie recently posted..Some Wedding Decisions and a Book Review

28 Angela @ Health, Happiness, & Harmony June 19, 2012 at 10:02 pm

I always eat my lettuce first and save the toppings for last. It’s one of my food quirks. :)
Angela @ Health, Happiness, & Harmony recently posted..It’s Already Starting