Better Than Anticipated

by Courtney on July 5, 2012

Looky looky what I’ve got!

After I got home from work earlier today, I spent a good 30-40 minutes weeding the garden. I, admittedly, have let the weeds take over a few areas of the garden and it was about time to get ‘em out of there. I didn’t get them all (hello, blisters!) but it does look 10x better than it was.

Luckily, it doesn’t seem to be effecting my plants too much…those zucchinis are monsters. The one in the middle there? It’s 13 inches long. For real. And there’s still about ten more out there right now…I think I foresee some more zucchini banana chocolate chip bread in my future. Winking smile

Once I finished up in the garden, I squeezed in a quick workout of 20 minutes of cardio + 2 rounds of my shredded shoulders workout, showered up, and got right to work on some lunch because I was starving.

So much so that I ended up eating a piece of leftover pizza while standing in front of the fridge trying to figure out what I really wanted.

Don’t you hate when that happens?

I eventually decided I’d work on some of the sad looking veggies in our veggie drawer: mixed greens, baby carrots, tomato, red onion, peas (from the garden), feta cheese, and tuna salad.

I picked up a couple packets of this Starkist tuna salad a few weeks ago, not realizing that “sandwich-ready” meant that it was already mixed with stuff…I guess I just assumed that is meant you didn’t have to flake it a bunch. Ehh.

I gave it a taste before adding it to the salad and it actually was a lot better than I anticipated (and the nutrition stats weren’t that bad) so I stuck with it.

The tuna ended up being enough of a “dressing” for me so I didn’t need anything else but that. Not too shabby for something so unexpected.

Now I’m about to go head to the kitchen in search of something sweet… Winking smile

*****

FYI: Congrats to the winner of the Hodgson Mill $25.00 Gift Card: Entry #46

hodgsonhodgson1

Congrats, Erica! Shoot me an email at sweettoothcourtney[@]gmail[.]com so we can get you hooked up!

1 Ellie@Fit for the Soul July 5, 2012 at 1:46 pm

I nibble on evvverything while I look in the fridge! Well, I just always have a habit of nibbling in general, whenever I eat lil snacks :P
Ellie@Fit for the Soul recently posted..Perfect Turkey Burger & the Fourth

2 Amanda @ Maggiano Takes Austin July 5, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Yay for your Zuccini’s and squash!!! I still haven’t used my garden zuccini yet… hmmmmm that banana bread sounds good!
Amanda @ Maggiano Takes Austin recently posted..Trip to see Raelyn

3 Khushboo July 5, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Soo this is random but I know you’d be a fan of the din I had tonight: sausage, pear, red onion & feta stir fry with quinoa…will let you know when I put up the recipe as I know you will love :)
Khushboo recently posted..My A-Z of Happiness

4 Ashlee @ A Step in the Right Direction July 5, 2012 at 1:52 pm

I am jealous! I have some tiny squash still growing so I am patiently waiting. We have lots of peas right now which it good :) I spent a good 45 minutes weeding the other night and that was a task. I really should not let it get like that.
Ashlee @ A Step in the Right Direction recently posted..It Happened….

5 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope July 5, 2012 at 2:07 pm

I’m jealous that those came out of your garden! My friend grows veggies and always stocks me with zucchini in the summer! I love it :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Time Out…

6 Cara @ I Don't Believe in Diets July 5, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Aww the squash are beautiful. I had some in my garden but after producing a few they got a disease and all died. Boo.
Cara @ I Don’t Believe in Diets recently posted..May 25, 2012 – Donkey Calf Raises

7 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance July 5, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Wow – you’re becoming a gardening pro! I’m jealous!

8 Amy B @ Second City Randomness July 5, 2012 at 2:14 pm

I actually picked up the tuna salad ready stuff a few weeks ago. It wasn’t my favorite. :(

9 Danica @ It's Progression July 5, 2012 at 2:29 pm

I have a terrible habit of munching on things while cooking/preparing my next meal!
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..GREEN & BLACK’S Organic Chocolate Giveaway!

10 Erica { EricaDHouse.com } July 5, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Wow! I just came by to check out your blog after I saw you posted an update on fb and had to do a double (okay, triple!) take when I saw my photo posted lol. Emailing you now!
Erica { EricaDHouse.com } recently posted..Random Acts of Kindness

11 Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom July 5, 2012 at 2:39 pm

I am so impressed with your gardening skills!

I hate when I get home and realize I got the wrong type of food. I have never bought the sandwich ready tuna but I have accidentally gotten the stuff packed in oil before. It was such a pain to drain and just tasted oily in comparison to the water packed tuna. I always do a double check now!
Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom recently posted..Diets Don’t Work

12 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats July 5, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Haha that pizza looks so good though! And I do that, especially when waiting for things to cook. I just start munching on nuts or berries or things that are easy to grab!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

13 Janae @ Bring-Joy July 5, 2012 at 3:02 pm

I do the same thing, too. I try to nibble on really low-calorie stuff that won’t make a difference, like carrots or sugar snap peas.
Janae @ Bring-Joy recently posted..3-Meal-a-Day Challenge: Lunch

14 Kristen @ notsodomesticated July 5, 2012 at 3:21 pm

When I’m really hungry, all bets are off. I’ll eat the first thing I can get my hands on!! ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Trying new things.

15 Dione July 5, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Google smitten kitchen zucchini fritters….I make them all the time. That will be a great way to use them up.

16 Tara July 5, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Those squashes (is it squashes??) look delicious! One of my favorite things about summer and my mom’s garden are the fresh zucchinis….time to make zucchini bread for sure!

17 Carol @ Lucky Zucca July 5, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Ahhh I cannot resist cold pizza!!
Carol @ Lucky Zucca recently posted..Peachtree Recap

18 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey July 5, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Yay for more zucchinis! I got another one today, but to be honest, I think the heat is REALLY killing my crop this year. It’s too darn hot out there!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..4 things for the 4th

19 Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate July 5, 2012 at 9:52 pm

The zucchini and squash look great! I will definitely be planting a garden next year!
Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate recently posted..WIAW on Fourth of July

20 Marie July 6, 2012 at 8:18 am

I am majorly impressed that you have a garden and that it turned out so well. I am one of those people who kill plants that are pretty hardy. Have a wonderful weekend, Courtney!

21 Alexandria @ Brain, Body, Because July 6, 2012 at 9:41 am

Those veggies are gorgeous! I live in a third-floor apartment and am very jealous of your garden.

When I have a lot of zucchini, I like to shred them in a food processor and stir them into pasta dishes or sprinkle over salads. Mhm.
Alexandria @ Brain, Body, Because recently posted..Nutrition Bars

22 Jaren@Kiwi Fit Blog July 7, 2012 at 8:40 am

I’m so jealous you can grow squash and zucchini. We can’t because of vine boars are in our area and kill the plant, and we don’t want to use pesticides.
Jaren@Kiwi Fit Blog recently posted..Wedding Checks Feel So Great