Slim Pickings

by Courtney on July 9, 2012

Goooood morning! Did everyone have a fantastic weekend? Well, here’s a peek at what was happening over here with the Horans…

And to give you guys an update on the book…I attempted to start reading it last night, but then I realized that Extreme Makeover Weight Loss Edition Chris Powell was on TV. I am definitely not a multi-tasker, so since Mr. Christian Grey hasn’t done much to peak my interest in the first three chapters of the book so far, my attention went to Mr. Powell. We’ll give it another go later today.

This morning, after snoozing again for almost an hour (seriously, I need to take action on this) I got up and did some work before taking a break for breakfast.

The fact that I was even able to put this together was impressive, considering we are out of almost all of our regular food staples and down to slim pickings.

A toasted whole wheat English muffin with Justin’s almond butter + raspberry jam.

Plus a 1 egg + 1 egg white scramble with a pretty ketchup smile.

Now you’ve all (hopefully) got a happy little start your Monday. Smile

Question for the Morning:

What’s your favorite, no-fail breakfast when it’s slim pickings in the kitchen?

1 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers July 9, 2012 at 9:07 am

I always have oats and eggs on-hand, so either works for me. As for the book, I didn’t really get into it either. The… uhh… “action” definitely picks up as you read it, but I guess it just wasn’t my thing.
Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers recently posted..Wild Beer

2 Lindsey July 9, 2012 at 9:09 am

Usually peanut butter toast or oatmeal.
Lindsey recently posted..No Plans Day

3 Alexandria @ Brain, Body, Because July 9, 2012 at 9:19 am

PB toast, for sure. It’s easy to keep bread on hand in the freezer and extra jars of PB on hand in the pantry.
Alexandria @ Brain, Body, Because recently posted..Nutrition Bars

4 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope July 9, 2012 at 9:12 am

I will usually have eggs or oatmeal. I typically make sure I have both in my house.
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..A Heatwave Filled Weekend!…

5 Denise July 9, 2012 at 9:15 am

Have mercy! I forgot Chris was on last night! I’m going to need you to call me next Sunday and remind me please!!
Denise recently posted..Great Weekend

6 Angela @ Sleep and Repeat July 9, 2012 at 9:17 am

love your ketchup sni

7 Angela @ Sleep and Repeat July 9, 2012 at 9:19 am

whoops, pressed submit before I was ready! was gonna say that I love your ketchup smile :) my favorite slim pickings breakfast is an English muffin! can’t remember the last time I was totally out of them :) and thanks for the extreme makeover reminder – I have to catch up!
Angela @ Sleep and Repeat recently posted..Food Toss Up

8 Haley July 9, 2012 at 9:19 am

We are on slim pickings as well! There was no bread in the house but I was craving English Muffins! So I whipped out my Whole Wheat Flour and made some! (Hehe, avoiding the store! Talk about lazy! But it’s Monday. So it’s okay, right?!)

9 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance July 9, 2012 at 9:25 am

Haha I love the smiley face :) My go-to breakfast is overnight oats – we almost always have oats, milk and yogurt!
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Orange Creamsicle Overnight Oats and Playing with the President’s Dogs

10 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries July 9, 2012 at 9:29 am

i buy the massive containers of oats so we almost ALWAYS have oats in the house. this morning we were down to slim pickings in our house too, so i rolled with oatmeal which is my usual “go-to” breakfast if my choices are limited.
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..My New Focus

11 Khushboo July 9, 2012 at 9:41 am

We always have eggs at home so they’re my go to when we running low on other foods or I can’t decide what I wanna eat!

12 Maggie July 9, 2012 at 9:49 am

oats, whatever kind of frozen fruit I have on hand and peanut butter :)

13 Janae @ Bring-Joy July 9, 2012 at 9:49 am

We never run out of oatmeal & we usually have some sort of frozen fruit in the freezer, so when we’re down to bare bones, this is my go-to breakfast.
Janae @ Bring-Joy recently posted..Zesty Lime Soyrizo Tacos

14 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake July 9, 2012 at 10:00 am

Definitely oatmeal! Even if we’re out of everything else, I’ve usually got enough to do an oatmeal + pb + fruit combo!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Spaghetti Casserole

15 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles July 9, 2012 at 10:03 am

Oatmeal. Oatmeal. Oatmeal.
I think Chris is the best– seriously, what a guy!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Exercise + Pregnancy = Confusion

16 Yellow Haired Girl July 9, 2012 at 10:03 am

Peanut butter on toast/tortilla, or eggs. But I don’t even have eggs this morning. I neeeeeeed to get to the grocery store!
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..Just Quick

17 Presley @ Run Pretty July 9, 2012 at 10:05 am

I always feel so accomplished when I make breakfast out of nothing haha… my go to is definitely banana roll-ups… or peanut butter toast if we are seriously lacking!
Presley @ Run Pretty recently posted..Post-Baby Body: Week One Update

18 Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness July 9, 2012 at 10:09 am

My favorite no fail breakfast is either yogurt and flaxseed or 2 eggs in coconut oil! Perfection!
Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness recently posted..Marvelous in My Monday

19 Willemijn @ Run Eat Travel July 9, 2012 at 10:22 am

I actually enjoy reading 50 Shades of Grey. I am at chapter 10 and it will only heat up, but it reads easily.
For no-fail breakfast I always opt for instant oatmeal with raisins and banana. Always have those three ingredients at home!
Willemijn @ Run Eat Travel recently posted..Bikini time is almost here! #GGS #GlowingGreenSmoothie (Taken…

20 Natalie July 9, 2012 at 10:31 am

The book doesn’t get interesting until around page 100. After that point I finished all 3 books in a week!

21 Steph July 9, 2012 at 10:44 am

Just started 50 Shades last night too! Made it through 3 chapters as well before I decided a good nights sleep was more important. I think it’s pretty good so far but I’m guessing it’s going to get a lot better!

22 Rachel July 9, 2012 at 10:55 am

My no fail breakfast happened today haha… Chobani, blueberries, and chex cereal on top :)

I’ve heard mixed reviews on that book lol I picked it up at the store a while back and read a paragraph, felt very awkward and decided to go with the young adult vampire book instead hahaha
Rachel recently posted..My Sister’s Water Bottle

23 Shannon July 9, 2012 at 10:55 am

Usually, I skip breakfast- I know, I know, bad habit. I really need to break that and get up earlier in the morning. Summer is just an excuse to sleep in and do absolutely nothing. :)

The ketchup smiley face reminds me of how Johnny Rocket’s makes a ketchup smiley face in a separate carton from the fries. I wish I could go back there but after the bad experience we had, I don’t think my mom will take us. :(
Shannon recently posted..Vacation post from OTE: A ginger’s perspective on life

24 Allison @ Running Through Red Lights July 9, 2012 at 11:07 am

I have to admit I’m a breakfast-skipper, too. I’m working on it, though. I made a big batch of almond flour pancakes to keep in the freezer. When I think of it, I’ll have a couple with a slice or two of turkey bacon. I also like to keep grapefruit on hand–that’s an easy go-to breakfast… or usually snack, in my case!
Allison @ Running Through Red Lights recently posted..Back To The Grind

25 Kristen @ notsodomesticated July 9, 2012 at 11:09 am

Toast and peanut butter. I’m sometimes out of bananas, but I’m never out of bread or nut butter!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Bringing Chipotle into my home kitchen.

26 Ashley @ The North Carolina Cowgirl July 9, 2012 at 11:13 am

I enjoyed the 50 shades trilogy. It is a little slow in the beginning but once you get into it, it’s hard to put down. I did a review of all the books on my blog if you want to check them out.
Ashley @ The North Carolina Cowgirl recently posted..These OMGs will have you ROTFL

27 Danica @ It's Progression July 9, 2012 at 11:45 am

I absolutely LOVE Extreme Makeover Weightloss Edition! I missed last night’s episode but I’ll definitely be watching it on Hulu tonight. It’s amazing how much they change (personalities, confidence, besides the weight) in just one year!
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..Be a Loving Servant!

28 Megan@ The Running Doc July 9, 2012 at 12:10 pm

My old stand-by is rye toast with butter. I know it may be a little boring but it never fails me when there’s nothing left in the house. :)
Megan@ The Running Doc recently posted..Weigh-In Monday Week 3

29 Angela @ Health, Happiness, & Harmony July 9, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Definitely oatmeal! I always have a large container in the cabinet. It’s really a blank canvas. You can add so many things to the base to make it delicious and filling!
Angela @ Health, Happiness, & Harmony recently posted..Absolutely Still

30 Liz @ Tip Top Shape July 9, 2012 at 12:26 pm

I love oatmeal with pb, some sort of nut (depending on what I have in the house) and shredded coconut. If I have one, I also stir in a banana.
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Garlic Roasted Red Skin Potatoes

31 Ellie@Fit for the Soul July 9, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Definitely oats!!!!! And I usually use bananas in it, but if there’s no more bananas left, then I cut up pieces of apple and make it into apple spice oats or somethin’~
Ellie@Fit for the Soul recently posted..Back on Track Workout Routine

32 Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom July 9, 2012 at 1:21 pm

I almost always have whole wheat toast or oats on hand. When it gets that bare, I will make one of them up and top with some type of nut butter!!
Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom recently posted..Food Trucks

33 Kailey July 9, 2012 at 2:05 pm

I love the ketchup smiley face – mainly because ketchup does make everything taste better!
Kailey recently posted..You Let Me Down Joe

34 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles July 9, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Assuming I have eggs – some variety of eggs and toast/english muffin/tortilla (really, whatever bread product I can find)

I usually have frozen bananas and milk, so option number 2 is a smoothie.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Tastes better than it looks.

35 Jaren@Kiwi Fit Blog July 9, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Extreme Makeover was good last night! Her family made me angry though.
Jaren@Kiwi Fit Blog recently posted..Wedding Checks Feel So Great

36 Lisa July 9, 2012 at 3:29 pm

My go-to slim pickings breakfast is usually toast with nut butter and a side of fruit, eggs, or oats. I pretty much always have those things on hand. Chris Powell would definitely intrigue me more than that book, I just love that show SO dang inspiring!
Lisa recently posted..Snacking Success

37 Sarah July 9, 2012 at 4:45 pm

You have to give Fifty Shades a chance to get going. I thought the same thing when I started reading the book, but eventually I was hooked, and when I say eventually I mean maybe 75 pages in or so. The second book is even better, and I am starting the third soon.

I don’t recommend reading it on a plane like I did though, it is so awkward! haha

38 Kim @ The Family Practice July 9, 2012 at 7:06 pm

I flipped through one of the “grey” books at Target just to see what the big freakin deal is. I was with Nick and we both started cracking up laughing at how terrible the dialouge is and how forced the romantic situations are. One of our friends told us “it changed their love life and is saving their marriage” – yeah, I don’t know about that…. TMI?
Kim @ The Family Practice recently posted..What I’m Eating + Thai Chicken Pizza

39 Katy July 9, 2012 at 10:50 pm

A bowl of Special K and some berries.
Katy recently posted..New Hampshire Recap & A Detox Diet