HLS 2012 {Day 2} Part 1

by Courtney on August 19, 2012

Good morning! How’s your weekend treatin’ ya?

So continuing on with some more HLS talk…we last left off with the CrossFit workout. Shortly after that and a small break, it was time to get going on the sessions for the day.

The first session I attended was “Just Say No… To On-Camera Flash: An Introduction to Blog Photog Basics” hosted by Gretchen of Honey I Shrunk the Gretchen.

Gretchen talked about tons of great, essential photography basics that will help improve your photos. Since I’m still trying to learn everything that my DSLR has to offer, it was great to listen in on her tips.

Me & Melanie after the session (who is SO super sweet, by the way!).

After Gretchen’s session, I headed to the other ballroom for the next panel which was lead by my gal, Lauren.

This session, called “Blogging with Brands” was put together so, so well. On one side, we were able to hear the bloggers perspectives, thanks to Ashley, Anne, and Theodora. On the other side, we also go to hear some really great insights from those on the brand side of things, thanks to Kelly from FitFluential, Valerie from Porter Novelli (who actually manages SOYJOY, who I’m an ambassador for), and Laura from Dancing Deer.

It was really interesting to hear, especially from the brands, how they look at bloggers and choose various campaigns, etc. I think a few general takeaways I had from this session…

• Don’t sell yourself short. Brands look at blogs at all stages, no matter how big or small. In the end, it all comes down to how good of a fit you are as a blogger.
    • Brands like to see a sense of community on your blog – they look for active communication, not just numbers.
    • Stay true to yourself. You don’t have to take every opportunity that comes your way if it isn’t something you truly enjoy.

Overall, it was definitely an awesome panel discussion.

After that panel, it was time for lunch…and holy cow, was it delicious!

I got salad, some pita wedges, a tomato and avocado salad (to die for!), and some chicken that was so much more tender and flavorful than I would have ever imagined.

After lunch, we had our keynote for the day, which had some really great information. I’ll save that for another post though, because this is already getting long. Winking smile

Once the keynote was over, it was tiiiime…

And I’m happy to say that I have now survived my second year of speaking at HLS!

I’ll fill ya all in on the details soon, since I know many of you are eager to hear what we talked about…but for now, it’s about time for me to hit the road and head back home to New York.

Talk about a fun weekend absolutely flying by!

Stay tuned for more…

1 Chelcie of Chelcie's Food Files August 19, 2012 at 10:42 am

you did such a great job speaking i really enjoyed your panel and all of the advice you gave!
    Chelcie of Chelcie’s Food Files recently posted..HLS Part 1: Flour Bakery + Cocktail Party!

2 Sara @ The Foodie Diaries August 19, 2012 at 10:43 am

Courtney, I’m so glad I got to meet you this weekend!! Hope you had a great time in Boston, if I’m ever in the Albany area I know who to call :) xoxo
    Sara @ The Foodie Diaries recently posted..Sunshine at Sea

3 Natalie @ FreshLifeFindings August 19, 2012 at 10:48 am

Looks like so much fun! Can’t wait to hear more about the weekend!
    Natalie @ FreshLifeFindings recently posted..Coconut & Sweet Potato Flavored Link Love + One Fit Foodie

4 Laura @ Mommy Run Fast August 19, 2012 at 11:03 am

This looks awesome! I’m excited for Fitbloggin in September and am having fun following all the tweets and instagram pics from HLS. Great tips on brands and bloggers. Sounds like so many helpful sessions!
    Laura @ Mommy Run Fast recently posted..What lessons has running taught you?

5 Presley @ Run Pretty August 19, 2012 at 11:13 am

I bet y’all did great! Wish I could have been there!
    Presley @ Run Pretty recently posted..Guest Post: Missing Motivation

6 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers August 19, 2012 at 11:14 am

I can’t wait to find out what you have learned!! Have fun!!
    Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Weekly Recap

7 Kierston August 19, 2012 at 11:19 am

Sounds like a great experience with loads to learn! Thanks for sharing :)
    Kierston recently posted..10 Weeks Out: A Pain in the Neck!

8 kim@hungryhealthygirl August 19, 2012 at 11:26 am

Sounds like lots of useful information was shared. I look forward to hearing more about your presentation, as that would have been one of the sessions I would have definitely attended. Any idea where HLS will be held next year?
    kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..back-to-school snack week

9 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles August 19, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Those would have been great sessions to attend- I would have loved to learn about all of that!….. I’m so glad to hear that you ‘survived’ your second year of speaking at HLS ;) …..I’m sure your rocked it girl!!!
    Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Week 37 & Week 38

10 Khushboo August 19, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Thanks for passing on some of the tips you picked up … Looking fwd to reading more :)
    Khushboo recently posted..Taste of Japan

11 michelle kim August 19, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Great to hear your second year speaking was good! Have a safe trip home :D
    michelle kim recently posted..Play Hard

12 Michelle@Peachy Palate August 19, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Sounds like it all went swimmingly! Man I would have been there in an instant…if I didn’t live over the other side of the world! :)
    Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..Nutty about Coconut

13 Sarah B. August 19, 2012 at 1:50 pm

I remember the day I found your blog when you were “freshly pressed” for your post on “the Twinkie diet,” and look at you now! I’ve loved watching your journey as you’ve grown as a blogger. Looks like you had a blast!

14 Tina @ Best Body Fitness August 19, 2012 at 1:53 pm

I so wish I was there with all of you!!!

15 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 19, 2012 at 2:17 pm

I’m definitely looking forward to hearing the recap of your session!
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Sometimes, Indulgences are Covered In Gravy and Cheese.

16 Danielle@Dish'n'Dash August 19, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Everyone on the panel did a great job and provided a lot of great advice. I had a ton of fun live tweeting for you ladies. Can’t believe HLS12 is over!

17 Courtney August 20, 2012 at 9:55 am

You did a GREAT job live tweeting! Thank you!!! :)

18 Julie @ Sweetly Balanced August 19, 2012 at 4:18 pm

This event looks like so much fun!! Do you know of any others like it? I’d love to attend one in the future!!
    Julie @ Sweetly Balanced recently posted..The Most Amazing Bachelorette Bash Ever

19 Alison August 19, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Looks like fun!! Your lunch looks awesome too. :)

20 Bek @ Crave August 19, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Sounds awesome! Thanks for filling us in :)
    Bek @ Crave recently posted..It’s never too early to exercise

21 Ellie@Fit for the Soul August 19, 2012 at 6:46 pm

What a fun time, and one filled with knowledge too! I love learning new tips from experienced people, especially in things that I’m becoming more passionate about like blogging and its many quirks. Can’t wait to see the rest of the updates!
    Ellie@Fit for the Soul recently posted..Fashion {non} Haul and Technology

22 Meg August 20, 2012 at 12:01 am

Loved reading this recap sweetie as I went to the two other panels! Your pictures look great. You must have picked up some great tips ;) Now you need to guide me ;) Hehe!

xoxo

23 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More August 20, 2012 at 12:30 am

Can’t wait to hear how your panel went! And hopefully all the good tips I missed! ;)
    Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Sweet Tooth Gone Wild

24 Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian August 20, 2012 at 9:50 am

It was so nice meeting you at lunch, Courtney! I’ll have to email you next time I come back to the Albany area for a visit home :)
    Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian recently posted..Healthy Living Summit Day 1

25 Courtney August 20, 2012 at 9:54 am

YES, definitely! Please do – we’ll meet up!! :)

26 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions August 20, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Thanks for posting your takeaway from the Blogging with Brands session. I wasn’t able to attend HLS, and I guess I’ve never really considered myself or my blog to be much of a brand candidate, but this is all really useful and interesting information. Thank you!!
    Bethany @ Accidental Intentions recently posted..No Time For Excuses