HLS 2012 {Day 3} Walking + Breakfasting

by Courtney on August 20, 2012

After a night of delicious eating the evening before, a nice early morning walk sounded absolutely perfect for starting off my Sunday. Luckily, I wasn’t alone on that one…

Around 8am, our large group gathered in the lobby of the hotel in order to get ready for a little cardio. After a few minutes of chit chatting (and asking the poor man in the lobby to figure out how to use my camera to take a group photo) we all headed outside.

The weather was absolutely perfect…brisk, a little overcast, and not too windy. It was almost fall-like!

While a majority of the group went running as soon as we crossed the road to get to the river, there was a small group of us that stayed behind and walked.

IMG_7196IMG_7197

Thank goodness for walking buddies. Smile

We ended up walking about halfway over the bridge but then decided to make our way back so we’d be back in time for breakfast.

We couldn’t miss out on that, right?

I was one of the first to arrive, so I took advantage and browsed the scene before making my choices, since there was a lot to choose from.

Fresh fruit, muffins and pastries,

IMG_7203IMG_7205

French toast, egg tartlets,

IMG_7206IMG_7204

And even an oatmeal station, with tons of dried fruit and granola.

I, being the indecisive gal that I am, basically took a little bit of everything…

And let my just go ahead and add that I am so thankful for the fact that I do not have breakfast buffets at my disposal on a regular basis. I would probably be the size of a house.

Please tell me I’m not the only one with no self-control over breakfast buffets?

I made myself a cup of iced coffee (which was great, since the coffee was super strong) and loaded up with some fresh fruit, a blueberry muffin (didn’t have much of that), this delicious egg tartlet,

and a small cup of oatmeal, donning dried fruit and a generous helping of granola that was made by the hotel.

Did any of my fellow HLS attendees try that stuff? WOW.

Breakfast also included some round table discussions…I’m not sure how many people really got in to talking about the various topics, but I know my table had a very informative session on hair and hair products.

Shortly after breakfast, I said some goodbyes, headed back up to the room, and got my things packed up to head back home. I will honestly say that I really wasn’t sure if I was going to attend HLS this year – just for the sake of being lazy and wanting to be home – but I’m so glad I decided to go.

And I can totally thank Heather for that one, because had she not asked me to be a part of the planning team, I probably would have just been home…stuck ripping apart our back deck.

I’m guessing that that would have been just a teensy bit less fun. Winking smile

1 Erica { EricaDHouse.com } August 20, 2012 at 1:23 pm

I just ate at a breakfast buffet the last time we were in New Orleans and definitely had zero control! I haven’t ate at a buffet in years and this one was as delicious looking as yours so I caved and totally indulged!
Erica { EricaDHouse.com } recently posted..Tarts + Crepes

2 Sana August 20, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Yeah I did not attend HLS due to a religious holiday and I am glad I spent the time with my family :) I can always attend next year, I am glad you went this year!
Sana recently posted..Time of Your Life {Eid Mubarak 2012)

3 Khushboo August 20, 2012 at 1:31 pm

I loves attending the HLS vicariously through you :). I have no control over breakfast buffets either, especially as the ‘it’s free’ mentality kicks in!
Khushboo recently posted..Always Time for a Quickie: Tabatas

4 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake August 20, 2012 at 1:46 pm

There is a gigantic breakfast buffet place (they actually do lunch and dinner too) about 45 minutes from my house. It. is. amazing. We always go on New Year’s Eve morning! It’s a once or twice a year treat for me and it’s so delicious!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Product Review: Vega Energizing Smoothie

5 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 20, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Ugh, such weakness for breakfast buffets. The vast majority of my favourite foods are breakfast foods, so I usually go nuts on them.

Especially if there’s some sort of waffle bar. Oh god, the damage I can do to those… :-)
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..That Could Lead to Some Jitters.

6 Eva @ Committed2Nutrition August 20, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I am so jealous! I lived in Boston from 2009-2011 and totally missed out on this! All the food and events look amazing. I am so glad you had a good time. An oatmeal station? oh lord, i’d be ALL over that! ha!
Eva @ Committed2Nutrition recently posted..Marvelous Monday – Weekend Style

7 Kelli August 20, 2012 at 1:59 pm

It sounds like it was a great experience for you! I love breakfast foods so a breakfast buffet is always awesome and a little dangerous! There are so many great choices! I am also a person who eats breakfast food any time and particularly enjoy breakfast for dinner. : )

8 Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom August 20, 2012 at 2:14 pm

I would have probably gone back to the oatmeal station a couple times, lol! I love oatmeal but especially when there are all kinds of yummy toppings to go with it.

Glad you were happy with your decision to attend this year and enjoyed having you share the experience with us :-)
Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom recently posted..Chobani Giveaway

9 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy August 20, 2012 at 2:14 pm

I have no self-control when it comes to breakfast buffets either!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..My Quarter-Life Crisis

10 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine August 20, 2012 at 2:18 pm

I am the same way with any buffet! Do you have any tips to beat the buffet?
Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine recently posted..Restaurant Review – Gonza Tacos y Tequila – North Raleigh

11 Courtney August 20, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Well, if I’m serious, choose your top 3-5 items that you either a) LOVE, or b) wouldn’t make yourself.
If I’m being semi-serious, I say just enjoy what you want…buffets don’t happen all that often. ;)

12 Caroline August 20, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Breakfast buffets always do me in! They are soo good though : )
Caroline recently posted..Motivation monday

13 Rachel August 20, 2012 at 2:24 pm

oo yum that all sounds so good! I’ve actually never been to a breakfast buffet haha
Rachel recently posted..MIMM #3

14 kim@hungryhealthygirl August 20, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Breakfast buffets are so dangerous! If I can steer clear of muffins and pastries, I’m usually okay. ;)
kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..Don’t knock it till you try it!

15 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions August 20, 2012 at 2:35 pm

What a breakfast spread! I totally would’ve taken a little bit of everything, too!

Also, I think tartlet might be my new favorite word. Haha.
Bethany @ Accidental Intentions recently posted..No Time For Excuses

16 Annette@FitnessPerks August 20, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Research does show we tend to eat more when there are more options in front of us ;) So yes, most people feel like that! I personally LIKE trying to nibble at everything<—especially stuff that I don't usually cook for myself (cool oatmeal or egg omelets).

Looks like a great weekend at HLS!
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..How To Get What You Want

17 kaylie August 20, 2012 at 2:55 pm

I’m super indecisive when it comes to buffet-type meals, too! I love trying a little bit of everything. :) It seems like you had a fun time!
kaylie recently posted..The Evolution of our Loveee

18 Min August 20, 2012 at 2:55 pm

I planned on walking also..but when I heard the go..I found myself running. Then I couldn’t stop because I didn’t want to be left behind..sigh..I just need to take it easy for heaven’s sake!
And you’re def not alone! Even though I knew I was going out to eat lobster roll two hours later, I just couldn’t stop eating. That coconut homemade granola!!! AMAZING!! I actually poured some in a cup and took it to my room so I can snack on it throughout the day. Yup! That I did ;)
Min recently posted..HLS ’12! Day 1 Recap

19 Michelle@Peachy Palate August 20, 2012 at 2:58 pm

I have no self control at breakfast buffets either! Favourite meal of the day so why not make the most of it! I’d be all over the granola and fruit! yum!
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..Simple Spaghetti

20 Rachael @ Ready To Get Sweaty August 20, 2012 at 3:01 pm

You are spot on girl, that granola was ahhhmazing! I wanted to put some in a zip lock baggie to take home! :)

21 Sam @ The Real Pretty August 20, 2012 at 3:10 pm

I absolutely cannot be around a buffet… unless it’s Chinese food, then I’m kind of grossed out. But other-wise I’m screwed!
Sam @ The Real Pretty recently posted..The Most Handsome in All of the Land

22 Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! August 20, 2012 at 3:38 pm

HLS was so great this year! It was my first time there, and I really learned a lot – thanks so much (again) for all your hard planning work.
One thing I realized this weekend is that I have a *really* hard time with self-control where breakfast buffets are concerned. It’s kind of an issue :-P
Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! recently posted..HLS 2012 – The Photos that Live

23 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries August 20, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Oh I am totally with you on the breakfast buffet thing! I lose all self control when it comes to those things. The fact that I like pretty much every single breakfast food out there can get me in big trouble if I’m not careful! ;)
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..The 23 Calorie Workout

24 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction August 20, 2012 at 6:23 pm

So glad Heather convinced you to go!!! I missed day 3 :( That oatmeal station looks incredible! I am slowly introducing more oats into my life!
Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..#HLS12 Recap 1

25 Amanda August 20, 2012 at 6:35 pm

That breakfast buffet looks delicious! I, too, am a sucker for breakfast! There are so many options – that I generally don’t feel like preparing at home in the mornings!
Amanda recently posted..Late Saturday Equals Lazy Sunday

26 Lydia @HappyHealthyConfident August 20, 2012 at 7:23 pm

I have trouble with pretty much any kind of buffet! I always want to try a bit of everything! Variety eaters unite! ;)

27 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers August 20, 2012 at 8:44 pm

I just had a breakfast buffet in Vegas! I went crazy with all the healthy food!! I think I over did it! Everything look amazing and so much fun! Wish we had an event like this in San Francisco!!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Blueberry Banana Zucchini Avocado Bread

28 Kaitlyn August 20, 2012 at 9:02 pm

i love when i read your page and always have to laugh at how much i relate! I swear, half the time i like just ate or did the same thing!! :) I just posted about my love for breakfast and could not agree more about breakfast buffets. total decision overload. How’s a girl ever to choose between all those options?!
Kaitlyn recently posted..weekend food, fashion, & fun

29 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey August 20, 2012 at 9:07 pm

I have no self control at breakfast buffets either – whenever I’m on vacation, all bets are off.
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..food: this or that

30 Allison @ Running Through Red Lights August 20, 2012 at 10:07 pm

I would never last as a food blogger, because I don’t usually eat traditional breakfast foods. Breakfast buffets don’t usually do it for me, though I’m a sucker for bacon and muffins! ;-) That egg tartlet does look delish, though!
Allison @ Running Through Red Lights recently posted..Motivation Monday: Team Maddy

31 Chase August 20, 2012 at 10:08 pm

I do love buffets because I don’t feel bad if I take one bite of something and decide I don’t like it! And I love all the different flavors.
Chase recently posted..Ich habe eine Protein Bar.

32 Sarah B. August 20, 2012 at 10:12 pm

I can. not. hold back at breakfast buffets! Oddly, I tend to crave oatmeal like it’s my job, but I could eat bowls upon bowls. If I could eat breakfast for every meal, I would. And since I can, sometimes I do. =]
Sarah B. recently posted..Favorite Exercise Past Times

33 michelle August 20, 2012 at 10:57 pm

Wow, that egg tartlet looks amazing! Glad you decided to go to the HLS. Looks like you had a great time!
michelle recently posted..Skin Care

34 @pluvk August 20, 2012 at 11:18 pm

Oh man, I have to avoid buffets at all costs. I’m pretty good about breakfast buffets… I’m kind of picky in the morning, so eggs, oatmeal, and fruit work for me. But if it’s a seafood type of buffet? Or a brunch buffet with dessert and omelette stations? Yeah… you’re gonna roll me out of there.

35 Ksenija @ Health Ninja August 21, 2012 at 7:55 am

This looks like soooo much fun! I would love to take part – its a shame that the US are a damn expensive plane ticket away.

36 Karleen August 21, 2012 at 11:34 am

Ya, bfast buffets are so dangerous! I usually finds self stuffed to the brim and wanting to go back home for a little nap after:)

37 Harmony August 21, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Ahh I am WAY too indecisive as well, so a breakfast buffet is a nightmare! Luckily it looks like you had some healthy options, most breakfast buffets are all sweet waffles and pancakes etc. and impossible to decide on just one!
Harmony recently posted..Why I’m taking biotin

38 Lisa August 21, 2012 at 4:10 pm

I found the coffee strong too! I was shaking on Saturday from it haha, I probably looked like a mess.
I almost didn’t go to HLS either, I was nervous since I’m a new blogger and didn’t know if I’d “fit in”, but everyone was so friendly I’m definitely happy I decided to go! Even if the airplane situation was less than ideal!
I must admit, I wish I got to chat with you more, but was a little star struck by you haha.
Lisa recently posted..The Simple Things-The Rest

39 Courtney August 21, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Awwww, LISA!! :)
I wish we had more of a chance to talk too – I feel like I saw you a thousand times, but only for like, 5 seconds each time, haha. Hopefully we’ll get another chance soon!

40 Lisa August 21, 2012 at 4:34 pm

I know same here! Haha, I’m positive we’ll get another chance to meet and chat!
Next time I won’t be so intimidated:)
Lisa recently posted..The Simple Things-The Rest

41 Bek @ Crave August 22, 2012 at 1:36 am

Hahha! Nice pre- workout pic of you lot! I also have no self control when it comes to breakfast buffets- I am someone who wants everything! We can’t be blamed though when everything looks THAT good.
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Done and dusted

42 Meredith @ DareYouTo August 22, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Great recaps!!!! I also fawn over breakfast buffets. The best kind! The mini frittata was my favorite from that morning.

The walk/run was so nice, too! The weather was absolutely perfect. It was SO so great seeing you again, too briefly! Nice job with the whole weekend.
Meredith @ DareYouTo recently posted..Recap: HLS12 Day 2