Best Bowl of Pumpkin Oats I’ve Ever Had

Well it’s just a lovely little Thursday over here this morning. How are things going in your neck of the woods? Great? Wonderful? Awesome?

So I haven’t really been coming back for many evening posts this week because, well, dinner hasn’t been super exciting and I haven’t had all that much to talk about. Instead, I’ve been spending some time away from my desk and enjoying leftovers and recipe experiments for dinners.

Like last night…

We still had a couple of leftover pork chops from Tuesday’s’ dinner, so I reheated those and paired them with a few recipes I had been playing around with this week.

The green you see there is my first ever attempt at creamed spinach. Umm…that stuff is GOOD. Have you ever tried it??

The other mound of fluffy stuff would be another first attempt for me: mashed potatoes and cauliflower.

I was so pleasantly surprised by these. Even Jay, my lovely picky eater, enjoyed them and didn’t even notice there was cauliflower in them…that is, until I told him. Then he’s all like, “yeahhh, I thought I tasted something different?!?”

Sure babe. Sure. Winking smile

I had a couple things to run out for after dinner (including getting to meet quickly with my bestie, Heather!) then came back home and enjoyed a relaxing evening on the couch with a delicious small dish of ice cream. It was fabulous.

*****

This morning, I’m not even kidding you when I tell you that you NEED to make this breakfast.

I know that I already have a recipe for pumpkin oats here on the blog, but today’s bowl easily surpassed my old standby…and that would be thanks to the addition of egg whites. It’s amazing what they do to your oats…thick, custard-like, and totally amazing.

creamy pumpkin custard oats

I’ve done the egg whites in the oats before (like with my Mixed Berry French Toast Oatmeal), but it’s been a while. Thank goodness Ashley reminded me to do it again!

Here’s what I used…

Creamy Pumpkin Custard Oats

• 1/3 cup oats
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • 1/3 – 2/3 cup water
  • 2 tsp chia seeds
  • 1/2 mashed banana
  • 1/4 cup egg whites
  • 1/4 – 1/3 cup pumpkin
  • cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice
  • Various Toppings: raisins, chopped nuts, granola, nut butter, maple syrup

Combine oats, milk, water, and chia seeds in saucepot on stovetop. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, stir in remaining ingredients. Continue stirring occasionally until desired consistency is reached. Top with lots of goodies and enjoy!

My toppings for today included raisins, Love Grown Foods granola, and a drizzle of maple syrup. It was, by far, the best bowl of pumpkin oats I’ve ever had – so please, you have got to make these, STAT.

And with that, I’m off! Have a great day, everyone!

Question for the Morning:

There’s only 10 days left in September…what are you going to do to make it great? Any fun activities? Travel plans?

Comments

Oh those pumpkin oats looks amazing. I make oatmeal every day and have made a pumpkin pie kind, but have never thought to add egg whites. Must give this a try! And I’m going to the mountains this weekend to go hiking and visit a winery or two. The perfect way to celebrate the beginning of fall :)
    Elaine recently posted..Black Cherry Chocolate Smoothie

2. Whitney says

Hubs turns the big 3 0 at the end of this month and I am throwing a surprise partay for him with friends and family!! Can.not. wait! On that note, I am very surprised that I have not spilled the beans. I am not good at keeping secrets!! :)

3. Rebecca W. says

Egg whites are the best “discovery” I have ever made when it comes to my oatmeal — I add them no matter what flavor I make! This morning I made Apple Pie Oatmeal, with a chopped up apple, cinnamon, nutmeg, and egg whites. Then I topped it off with some PB2 — DELISH! But now I want pumpkin oats again… :)

Your breakfast looks like the perfect combination of Fall flavors, and I totally agree that adding egg whites to oatmeals gives it the perfect consistency… I’ve been doing it for years now and it still rocks my socks off. I’m having a hard time believing that September is almost over, and that Fall officially hits this weekend. Nothing too major planned, since I just got back from Cali a few days ago, but I want to spend as much time outside enjoying the beautiful Fall colors before the weather gets too cold.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... WIAW … travel edition .

I have big plans of adding pumpkin to my standard oats recipe this weekend, but after reading this, I think I’m on board with the egg white action too. I tried it once before with little success, I think because I was lazy and tried it in the microwave. It’s time to try it again!

mmm gotta love pumpkin and oats! My go-to breakfast this week has been pumpkin overnight oats…sooo good especially with Peanut Butter & Co’s cinnamon raisin swirl pb…gotta try it :)

These custard oats are everywhere I look these days! I’ve been a little wary of adding egg whites to my oats, but I think I’m going to have to take the plunge and see what this is all about. You haven’t steered me wrong yet, so I’m trusting you!

I love adding egg whites to pumpkin oats. I always leave mine overnight though, I like the taste better after they’ve been in the fridge! For some odd reason…
    I’m so excited for September to end, since my birthday is on the first:)
    I do hope to get my house decorate before October hits though!
    Lisa recently posted..Life Behind The Screen

I’m traveling to my bf’s parents for the long weekend shortly- I can’t wait. It’s a great chance to see them and realise and unwind away from all the hustle and bustle. Ps. I am not a pumpkin fan- seems it isn’t crazy over here like you yanks 😉
    Bek @ Crave recently posted..‘DO’ not ‘DON’T’

10. Julissa says

I am pumpkin obsessed so I had to try this… in fact, I’m eating it as I type and I put my oats in a just-about-empty container of cookie butter from Trader Joe’s. I am in heaven! Thanks for sharing!

Trackbacks

1. […] I had grand plans for dinner last night. I had bought a head of cauliflower at the store last week with all intentions of making some sort of mashed concoction with it. I’d read recipes, seen photos, and was pumped to give ‘em a shot; especially since I’d already attempted and made them successfully with potatoes. […]