Best Bowl of Pumpkin Oats I’ve Ever Had

by Courtney on September 20, 2012

Well it’s just a lovely little Thursday over here this morning. How are things going in your neck of the woods? Great? Wonderful? Awesome?

So I haven’t really been coming back for many evening posts this week because, well, dinner hasn’t been super exciting and I haven’t had all that much to talk about. Instead, I’ve been spending some time away from my desk and enjoying leftovers and recipe experiments for dinners.

Like last night…

We still had a couple of leftover pork chops from Tuesday’s’ dinner, so I reheated those and paired them with a few recipes I had been playing around with this week.

The green you see there is my first ever attempt at creamed spinach. Umm…that stuff is GOOD. Have you ever tried it??

The other mound of fluffy stuff would be another first attempt for me: mashed potatoes and cauliflower.

I was so pleasantly surprised by these. Even Jay, my lovely picky eater, enjoyed them and didn’t even notice there was cauliflower in them…that is, until I told him. Then he’s all like, “yeahhh, I thought I tasted something different?!?”

Sure babe. Sure. Winking smile

I had a couple things to run out for after dinner (including getting to meet quickly with my bestie, Heather!) then came back home and enjoyed a relaxing evening on the couch with a delicious small dish of ice cream. It was fabulous.

*****

This morning, I’m not even kidding you when I tell you that you NEED to make this breakfast.

I know that I already have a recipe for pumpkin oats here on the blog, but today’s bowl easily surpassed my old standby…and that would be thanks to the addition of egg whites. It’s amazing what they do to your oats…thick, custard-like, and totally amazing.

creamy pumpkin custard oats

I’ve done the egg whites in the oats before (like with my Mixed Berry French Toast Oatmeal), but it’s been a while. Thank goodness Ashley reminded me to do it again!

Here’s what I used…

Creamy Pumpkin Custard Oats

• 1/3 cup oats
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • 1/3 – 2/3 cup water
  • 2 tsp chia seeds
  • 1/2 mashed banana
  • 1/4 cup egg whites
  • 1/4 – 1/3 cup pumpkin
  • cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice
  • Various Toppings: raisins, chopped nuts, granola, nut butter, maple syrup

Combine oats, milk, water, and chia seeds in saucepot on stovetop. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, stir in remaining ingredients. Continue stirring occasionally until desired consistency is reached. Top with lots of goodies and enjoy!

My toppings for today included raisins, Love Grown Foods granola, and a drizzle of maple syrup. It was, by far, the best bowl of pumpkin oats I’ve ever had – so please, you have got to make these, STAT.

And with that, I’m off! Have a great day, everyone!

Question for the Morning:

There’s only 10 days left in September…what are you going to do to make it great? Any fun activities? Travel plans?

1 Presley @ Run Pretty September 20, 2012 at 9:30 am

haha Jay sounds like my husband!
Presley @ Run Pretty recently posted..Lazy Day Survey

2 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries September 20, 2012 at 9:36 am

Haha Cody would’ve responded the same exact way about the cauliflower in the mashed potatoes. Too funny!

Take out the raisins and add in an entire egg, and we had pretty much the same exact breakfast yesterday! And I’d have to agree – best bowl of oatmeal I’ve had in awhile. ;)
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..09/20: Thursday Thoughts

3 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope September 20, 2012 at 9:37 am

Those pumpkin oats sound delicious! I’ve never tried adding egg whites to oats before. I might need to give it a try! :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Take Steps, Be Heard!…

4 Katie | wholelivingimprint.tumblr.com September 20, 2012 at 9:37 am

I love pumpkin!!! Looks soo good! I enjoyed a tastyyyy bowl of overnight oats this morning when I got home from my run, but I need to add pumpkin to the next batch!
Katie | wholelivingimprint.tumblr.com recently posted..3pm Java & Lara Blueberry Muffin Fix :) #healthyfats…

5 Beks September 20, 2012 at 9:40 am

That sounds so good! And perfect for fall!

I’m actually going to St. Louis to a wedding tomorrow (Driving to KC tonight), and it’s also my birthday weekend, so I get to spend my 27th with my college girlfriends! So excited!
Beks recently posted..Crazy crazy Cuh-RAZY week ahead!

6 chelcie @ chelcie's food files September 20, 2012 at 9:42 am

mmm i will definitely be trying that recipe! I’m sure it would be delicious with some added pumpkin butter on top as well :)
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..Crock Pot Chicken Curry

7 Mallory September 20, 2012 at 9:49 am

I had these this morning!! Minus the banana, though, that sounds delish. It’s amazing how the pumpkin makes them SO voluminous… I only used 1/2 cup oats, 1/3 cup pumpkin, and about 1/4 cup egg whites and I was stuffed to the brim. Adding a tbsp of half and half right on top makes them extra creamy and delicious!
Mallory recently posted..The ‘What have I been doing for the past 3 months’ Post

8 Lindsey September 20, 2012 at 9:54 am

We are going to the mountains this weekend to celebrate our anniversary! So excited! I cannot believe its the 20th of Sept already though!?
Lindsey recently posted..Cooking at Ronald McDonald House

9 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More September 20, 2012 at 9:58 am

I’m ending out my September with my first race – a 5k and I’m so excited!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..The 24 Hour Run (15 years later)

10 Elaine September 20, 2012 at 9:59 am

Oh those pumpkin oats looks amazing. I make oatmeal every day and have made a pumpkin pie kind, but have never thought to add egg whites. Must give this a try! And I’m going to the mountains this weekend to go hiking and visit a winery or two. The perfect way to celebrate the beginning of fall :)
Elaine recently posted..Black Cherry Chocolate Smoothie

11 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles September 20, 2012 at 10:00 am

So, a can of pumpkin has officially been added to the grocery list.

I’ve only had creamed spinach a handful of times, but I do remember it being delicious!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..The “Violent Girl” Problem.

12 Natalie @ Free Range Human September 20, 2012 at 10:02 am

I’m definitely making those for breakfast tomorrow. Yay for all things pumpkin! The rest of September is going to be great because I have family coming to town the next two weekends :)
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Fall is Here! + WIAW

13 Whitney September 20, 2012 at 10:04 am

Hubs turns the big 3 0 at the end of this month and I am throwing a surprise partay for him with friends and family!! Can.not. wait! On that note, I am very surprised that I have not spilled the beans. I am not good at keeping secrets!! :)

14 Janae @ Bring-Joy September 20, 2012 at 10:12 am

I’m going to spending as much time as possible outside with my kids, before the weather turns cold!
Janae @ Bring-Joy recently posted..love notes 2

15 Angel September 20, 2012 at 10:14 am

Hahaha…you’re husband sounds like my husband! Men! ;)

Going away with the fam for a weekend trip, sooo excited!!
Angel recently posted..A day in the life of Well Girl

16 Rebecca W. September 20, 2012 at 10:22 am

Egg whites are the best “discovery” I have ever made when it comes to my oatmeal — I add them no matter what flavor I make! This morning I made Apple Pie Oatmeal, with a chopped up apple, cinnamon, nutmeg, and egg whites. Then I topped it off with some PB2 — DELISH! But now I want pumpkin oats again… :)

17 Rachel September 20, 2012 at 10:29 am

I just bought a can of pumpkin last weekend :D I love pumpkin oats haha
Rachel recently posted..Attack of the Spiders

18 Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 20, 2012 at 10:43 am

Your breakfast looks like the perfect combination of Fall flavors, and I totally agree that adding egg whites to oatmeals gives it the perfect consistency… I’ve been doing it for years now and it still rocks my socks off. I’m having a hard time believing that September is almost over, and that Fall officially hits this weekend. Nothing too major planned, since I just got back from Cali a few days ago, but I want to spend as much time outside enjoying the beautiful Fall colors before the weather gets too cold.
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... WIAW … travel edition .

19 Khushboo September 20, 2012 at 11:02 am

I can’t oatmeal without egg whites any more..and that has nada to do with protein, they just make it taste so much better!
Khushboo recently posted..The deal with my meals

20 Erica {EricaDHouse.com} September 20, 2012 at 11:09 am

Ahh don’t remind me September is almost over! This year is going by WAY to fast!
Erica {EricaDHouse.com} recently posted..Healthy Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes

21 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers September 20, 2012 at 11:09 am

Yum! I love pumpkin oatmeal, it’s one of my favorites!!! The eggs make it so creamy!!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Peanut Butter and Peppers together, blah… Not!!

22 stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction September 20, 2012 at 11:17 am

I’ve never added egg whites into my oats before, what a great idea! I love the fact that pumpkin is back in season!!! Not too much on the books for the rest of September just trying to enjoy the last few spring like days we have :)
stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..Life’s To Do’s

23 kim@hungryhealthygirl September 20, 2012 at 11:29 am

Egg whites in oats is super yummy. I’ll have to give your best ever pumpkin oats a try….I’m loving all things pumpkin these days!
kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..Thursday Things: favorite quotes from around the web

24 Meghan @ After the Ivy League September 20, 2012 at 11:33 am

I have big plans of adding pumpkin to my standard oats recipe this weekend, but after reading this, I think I’m on board with the egg white action too. I tried it once before with little success, I think because I was lazy and tried it in the microwave. It’s time to try it again!

25 Katy September 20, 2012 at 11:35 am

mmm looks amazing!! Can’t wait to try it tomorrow
Katy recently posted..My Clean Mini Oreo Cheesecake!

26 Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness September 20, 2012 at 11:44 am

That oatmeal sounds amazing! I will definitely have to try it! I can’t wait for the cauliflower mash either! It looks great! Perfect for the picky eater too cause you can’t tell there’s extra veggies in there!
Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness recently posted..Grain Free Apple Pie

27 Chelsea Lords September 20, 2012 at 11:52 am

Wow those pumpkin oats sound delicious! I can’t wait for tomorrow to make them! :)

28 Andrea @ Vegvacious September 20, 2012 at 12:04 pm

I’ve just recently seen oatmeal recipes that include egg whites – I am definitely going to have to give it a try! One thing I’m hoping we’ll be able to do is go to a local farm to pick out some pumpkins and squashes so I can make my own pumpkin puree for recipes like this!
Andrea @ Vegvacious recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday ~ Eating the Rainbow

29 Faith @ The Cheap Girl's Guide to Chic September 20, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I’m eating creamed spinach as we speak (type?). SO good. A Nutritionist Eats has a recipe for creamed kale that I’ve been dying to try too – that one’s definitely up next on my list of things to recreate!
Faith @ The Cheap Girl’s Guide to Chic recently posted..Cheap Girl’s Kitchen: Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash

30 Shannon September 20, 2012 at 12:17 pm

I’m going to the Big E in Springfield, Mass. Saturday! :)

31 Jolynn September 20, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Mmm they sound delish!
Jolynn recently posted..Coconut Almond PB Pancakes

32 Danielle @ Itsaharleyyylife September 20, 2012 at 12:54 pm

that oatmeal looks so good!
Danielle @ Itsaharleyyylife recently posted..Work Vending Machines. {Healthy or Not Healthy}

33 Lauren September 20, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Egg Whites really do make the best oats. I added some to my bowl this morning and was amazed at the creamy custard like texture. Now I just need to get on the pumpkin train and I’m set. :)
Lauren recently posted..How I Cut My $900 Grocery Bill in Half

34 Tara September 20, 2012 at 1:18 pm

mmm gotta love pumpkin and oats! My go-to breakfast this week has been pumpkin overnight oats…sooo good especially with Peanut Butter & Co’s cinnamon raisin swirl pb…gotta try it :)

35 Annette@FitnessPerks September 20, 2012 at 1:19 pm

My husband would’ve done the EXACT same thing. Haha.

Gotta love a good dinner that turns out ;)

I am not a oatmeal fan. It just never sounds appealing in the morning. I know, WEIRD. hah
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..BodyPUMP AIM 2

36 Tiff (@LoveSweatBeers) September 20, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Mmmm, I’ve never put egg whites in oats, but I do love pumpkin in them. I also am a big fan of cauliflower and potatoes. I served them at Thanksgiving last year and no one seemed to notice.
Tiff (@LoveSweatBeers) recently posted..Thirsty Thursday

37 Claire @ Keeping Up With Claire September 20, 2012 at 1:36 pm

These custard oats are everywhere I look these days! I’ve been a little wary of adding egg whites to my oats, but I think I’m going to have to take the plunge and see what this is all about. You haven’t steered me wrong yet, so I’m trusting you!

38 Michelle@Peachy Palate September 20, 2012 at 2:57 pm

That’s my go to pumpkin oat recipe (minus the egg white and + another 1/4 cup of pumpkin puree :) ) Nothing more comforting, especially amazing with toasted pecans and pecan nut butter!!!
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..World’s apart

39 Lisa September 20, 2012 at 3:46 pm

I love adding egg whites to pumpkin oats. I always leave mine overnight though, I like the taste better after they’ve been in the fridge! For some odd reason…
I’m so excited for September to end, since my birthday is on the first:)
I do hope to get my house decorate before October hits though!
Lisa recently posted..Life Behind The Screen

40 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey September 20, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Why oh WHY have I forgotten to put maple syrup in my pumpkin oats!?!??!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..fall foods are back

41 Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate September 21, 2012 at 2:56 am

The oatmeal look delish, it’s definitely time for me to start adding pumpkin to my oats as well!
Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate recently posted..Things I’m Loving Lately

42 Bek @ Crave September 21, 2012 at 3:03 am

I’m traveling to my bf’s parents for the long weekend shortly- I can’t wait. It’s a great chance to see them and realise and unwind away from all the hustle and bustle. Ps. I am not a pumpkin fan- seems it isn’t crazy over here like you yanks ;)
Bek @ Crave recently posted..‘DO’ not ‘DON’T’

43 Julissa September 22, 2012 at 6:03 am

I am pumpkin obsessed so I had to try this… in fact, I’m eating it as I type and I put my oats in a just-about-empty container of cookie butter from Trader Joe’s. I am in heaven! Thanks for sharing!

44 Jennifer September 22, 2012 at 12:09 pm

I just made these pumpkin oats and they are FANTASTIC!!! I am such a fan!!! I am going to have to spread the word about these!! Thanks for sharing
Jennifer recently posted..It’s finally all really clicking