Back in the Saddle

After taking just about three days off from any sort of working out, it felt great to jump back in the saddle today. Gosh, it really is crazy how things can change, isn’t it? I love the fact that I wasn’t going nuts over not getting any workouts in. In fact, I actually enjoyed those few days…thoroughly! Not only is it good for the body, but it does wonders for the mind, too.

I started things off with some walking intervals – nothing crazy. I just switched up my speeds and/or inclines about every 5 minutes or so to make for a great, 40 minute workout. After that, I followed things up with 20 minutes of yoga and called it a day. Like I said, nothing crazy, but it felt gooooood.

By the time I had finished everything, I was feeling pretty hungry so I put together a quick snack.

Cottage cheese + fresh pineapple + strawberries. Seriously, fresh fruit with cottage cheese is just so good. So light and refreshing!

A couple of hours later, I ended up reheating some more leftovers for lunch.

I finished up the last of our easy crockpot chicken leftovers and had that along with some baby carrots that I steamed in the microwave with some garlic oil, salt, and pepper.

Not the most exciting or colorful of meals, but it really did hit the spot.

After lunch, I spent some time working on a few client training plans while I let a little something cook up in the oven.

I always get so excited when my breads actually cook up with the crack down the center, rather than just sink through the middle. Now let’s just hope it stayed that way, since I haven’t been out to check on it in about a half hour…which also means it’s about time for me to go grab a slice.

Or two.

And if it turns out well enough to share, you most definitely know that I will, ASAP.

But for now, I have to go make an emergency trip out for Halloween candy. I had told myself I wasn’t going to buy any, since we haven’t had trick-or-treaters in about 3 years, but wouldn’t it be just my luck if I decide not to have any and kiddos do show up. I’d feel terrible!

I mean, it can’t hurt to have a little chocolate in the house…plus, I really don’t want to be known as the house that gives out granola bars or raisins. They were always the worst, right?

Comments

We have great Halloween treats at my house this year: Jolly Rancher Chews, Gummy Life Savers, and Black Forest Gummy bears….all candy that I used to chow down on in the past..aka, hello stomachache! This year, however, I do not have to worry about that because all of these candies contain gelatin, something that as a vegetarian, I do not eat. Yes, I strategically planned this so that way I would keep my paws out of the candy bowl!
    Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Tofu Parmesan + A Cooking Catastrophe

We don’t have any halloween candy yet either and I’m still wondering if I should get some or not because of the weather and because we live on a new street, where it’s mud city! We have no grass on our lawns yet OR paved driveways. It’s not nice when it’s rainy aka…this week! haha
    char eats greens recently posted..easy butternut squash soup

We’re the same at my house. We never get trick or treaters. It makes me super sad since I love seeing all the little kids get dressed up and get so excited. I’m hoping your bread turns out, looks good!
    Lisa recently posted..Taking The Easy Way Out

Yummy leftovers!
    And it really is a win-win to grab some candy (the trick-or-treaters will get candy or you will be set with Halloween-themed candy for a few months).
    Also, it’s great that you feel good with resting for three days. The first workout back from a nice period of rest and recovery feels awesome!
    michelle kim recently posted..It Was Supposed to be Sunny

I know it’s your job, but it’s hard for me to relate to “back in the saddle” especially only after 3 days. Since I generally only work out 3 days a week maximum (and newbies here for inspiration are probably not working out at all anymore) I find it hard to relate to how this is really something to bring up. I love your blog and have been reading for a long time, I’m just saying that I hope it doesn’t fall into the FT blogger universe where it is totally unrelatable.
    Shannon R recently posted..Vegan MoFo Day 30: Fruit Roll Ups

• Courtney says

Hey Shannon,
      Thanks so much for the feedback and for reading the blog, but I’m not quite sure I fully understand what you’re saying? I tend to discuss my workouts pretty frequently on the blog, so saying that I took a few days off and got back into it today would be fairly normal. I totally understand that everyone has various workout regimens, and I think that’s great; mine have changed drastically in the past few months, so I’m very much aware of the differences that everyone has and what works best for them. If someone, such as yourself, were to find my workouts hard to relate to, then that’s totally fair…I find myself unable to relate to many others too.

• says

I appreciate your response. I just really love your blog and I know it isn’t really normal for you to go that many days yourself so I shouldn’t have read into it. I know you are not one to sensationalize and have a level head (or post junk just because you need a topic). I know you’ll keep it real, I’ve just seen too many bloggers I used to like transition into this weird “on what planet are you living on now?” phase that I took it out of context.

So I apologize in case it sounded harsh, I just think that you are on the right track and should keep at it! I’m just used to seeing the next post “and since I was in such a “rut” [link here] [link here] here’s my new sponsor” crap 😉
        Shannon R recently posted..Vegan MoFo Day 30: Fruit Roll Ups

I have to run out to buy Halloween candy tonight too!! EEK! I really hope the kiddies come, but if not…I guess it means some extra special treats in the house :) Also, I LOVE cottage cheese and fruit. What a winning combo!

I have no idea what it is, but we haven’t really had any trick-or-treaters around my place for a few years either… I still buy candy just in case, though, because it really does suck to have to pretend like no one is home when the doorbell rings 😆 Besides, candy is never really something that goes to waste 😉
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... MIMM … life lessons .

8. Shannon says

I HATED those houses who gave out healthy food while trick-or-treating. I have a neighbor who gave out homemade brownies, and other goodies. Now that was my favorite house to stop at. 😉

Last year, we gave out fruit snacks so I’m assuming the few kids we have on our street are going to be avoiding our house this year. We told Mom not to get them, but she listened to us this year and bought Reese’s PB Cups. Good choice, Mom.

9. dee says

I love when my breads crack down the center, too!! I was told growing up that it was the “smile.” So I took it as a sign of good bread! The first time my bread baked up with that crack, I got SO EXCITED that took pictures like it was my first child, and made it everyone’s business!

10. Sue says

I get over 300 trick or treaters so I started stocking up in September. LOL. I got some chocolate, some lollipops, and some Dots. Since the weather isn’t cooperating, I’m wondering how many kids will come this year. I’ll just bring the left over candy into work with me. I work for law students and they will eat just about anything. Have a happy Halloween!!

Sue

Haha, I am with you on that Halloween candy dilemma! I’m always afraid that the one time I don’t buy it will be the one year we get trick-or-treaters! I’m expecting some this year though, should be fun :)

And I went a whole 3 weeks without “real” exercise this month. Definitely the longest I’d gone in quite some time. I’m happy to say I didn’t feel the least bit guilty, I had to take care of myself!
    Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..WIAW #9: On a Bad Day

You could make home made cupcakes to give out? I’d be happy with that 😉 I’m glad it didn’t bother you about not working out for a change- rest is GREAT!
    Bek @ Crave recently posted..Relax