Dark Chocolate Chip Banana Bread

by Courtney on October 31, 2012

I just love, love, love quick breads. Like, a lot.

I swear, if I could have a loaf in my house at all times, I’d be a super happy camper.

Yesterday, I made another attempt at a new banana bread recipe. I actually almost made my pumpkin banana bread, but I know Jay isn’t really a fan of the pumpkin. So I switched gears a bit.

When I took the finished product out of the oven and noticed that beautiful crack down the center, I had a feeling it was going to be a winner.

I was curious to see how badly it would sink, but much to my surprise, it actually didn’t sink all that much. Another sign of a winner!

To jazz things up a bit with this loaf, I decided to throw some dark chocolate chips into the mix…because, you know, everything is always better with chocolate.

Despite the fact that this bread is lower in fat that many traditional banana breads, it is definitely not lacking in flavor. So if you’ve got some ripe bananas lying around and need to switch things up from the craze that is pumpkin right now, feel free to give this recipe a shot!

dark chocolate chip banana bread

As of 12pm today, I’m at about 2-1/2 slices…the day is still young, my friends. Winking smile

1 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More October 31, 2012 at 1:03 pm

YUM! That looks delicious!! Though since moving back home, I haven’t had any left over bananas… ;)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..What I Ate (& Would Like to Eat More Of)

2 Natalie @ Free Range Human October 31, 2012 at 1:15 pm

I’m with you-I love quick breads! I would rather bake those than just about anything else.
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..It’s Kind Of My Thing

3 Annette@FitnessPerks October 31, 2012 at 1:44 pm

ooooh that does look super good! I love dark chocolate :)
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..Best and Worst Halloween Candy

4 Elaine October 31, 2012 at 2:18 pm

You gotta throw in a few chocolate chips. Peanut butter chips are amazing in banana bread too!! :)
Elaine recently posted..Double Whipped Pumpkin Brownie Pie

5 Lauren @The Homeostatic Mindset October 31, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Haha, keep on going! If wanting freshly baked sweet breads is wrong, I don’t want to be right ;)
Lauren @The Homeostatic Mindset recently posted..A Very Happy Halloween!!!

6 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope October 31, 2012 at 2:23 pm

That bread looks great! I haven’t made banana bread in such a long time. I need to change that :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Weekend Recap & Hurricane Sandy…

7 Lauren @ Chocolate Cheese and Wine October 31, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Looks amazing. I love throwing some chocolate into my banana bread.
Lauren @ Chocolate Cheese and Wine recently posted..Bacon and Sausage Breakfast Casserole

8 Kelsey Reidl October 31, 2012 at 2:38 pm

This looks sooo yummy !

When you find a good recipe for a bread, you’ve hit the jackpot. I can’t wait to try this, and I might even add extra banana so it becomes even more soft and tender… MMM !

9 Courtney October 31, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Yes! I totally would have added another if I had it – I only had 2 medium on hand, but I’ll bet another would have been even better

10 Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian October 31, 2012 at 2:45 pm

this recipe sounds so delicious! Definitely trying this one out.
Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian recently posted..WIAW #30: Happy Halloween {What I Ate Wednesday}

11 Em October 31, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Yum! I will have to try this. I love your quick breads too :)
Em recently posted..How Indian Food Cured My Cabin Fever

12 Amy Risner October 31, 2012 at 2:58 pm

That looks FANTASTIC!!!! I am definitely making this!!! Yummmo!
Thanks!!!!!

13 erica October 31, 2012 at 2:59 pm

omg, i’m totally craving that now!
my mom makes a good chocolate chip/banana bread! i think i’m going to have to call her for the recipe!
erica recently posted..happy national pumpkin day!

14 Lisa October 31, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Oh man, this looks like one delicious loaf!! I have been obsessed with pumpkin bread. But, I think banana and pumpkin sounds like clear winner!

15 Sarah October 31, 2012 at 3:17 pm

This looks delicious!!! Thanks for a great recipe!
Sarah recently posted..WIAW: hurricane survivor style

16 Katie @ running4cupcakes October 31, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Yum! I love quick breads too.
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted..Foodie Pen Pal: October 2012

17 Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 31, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Banana bread is seriously one of my favorite things ever, and this one looks absolutely to die for. Pinning and definitely baking sometime soon :D
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... monthly favorites – october 2012 .

18 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake October 31, 2012 at 3:48 pm

I’ve been seeing so many yummy bread recipes popping up lately! I’m hoping to try this one this weekend!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Totally Bumming It

19 michelle kim October 31, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Oh, goodness. I would slap some PB on a couple slices and have it with coffee for dessert. Thanks for the recipe!
michelle kim recently posted..Useless Biceps

20 Hollywood Healthy October 31, 2012 at 3:58 pm

I love your pumpkin banana bread… sew good.
Hollywood Healthy recently posted..No bueno

21 Michelle@Peachy Palate October 31, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Love it! Could definitely make a vegan version of this one! How much of a cup or more would you reckon your bananas fill? Banana sizes vary a lot from the U.S to Ireland! :)
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..Halloween!!!

22 Courtney October 31, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Hmmm…I’d say I probably had a little less than a cup with my 2 bananas. If I had another one though, I definitely would have added it!

23 Michelle@Peachy Palate October 31, 2012 at 6:09 pm

A cup and a bit is usually a good guess! I’ll give it a go!
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..Halloween!!!

24 Julianna @ Julianna Bananna October 31, 2012 at 4:50 pm

yum, this looks so good! anything with the words dark chocolate and quick bread in it always catches my attention :)
Julianna @ Julianna Bananna recently posted..WIAW: Catch-Up!

25 Danielle @ itsaharleyyylife October 31, 2012 at 6:16 pm

i always have a tough time making breads… they never seem to bake right in the middle.. Do you have any tips for me?
Danielle @ itsaharleyyylife recently posted..October Recap

26 Kristen @ notsodomesticated October 31, 2012 at 7:14 pm

I love adding chocolate chips to my breads, like banana or pumpkin. I think anything tastes better with chocolate. My husband doesn’t agree … he’s a purist. But that’s OK. More for me! ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Caramel Apple Cheesecake

27 Katie October 31, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Dark chocolate in banana bread? I’m down.
Katie recently posted..These are a Few of My Favorite Things HALLOWEEN STYLE

28 Beth October 31, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Hey Courtney, this looks like a great recipe, I am excited to try it.

I was wondering if it was baking powder or soda? In the recipe ingredients it says powder and in the directions on mixing it says soda. I always mix the two up, and my husband thinks I am crazy when I do.

Cannot wait to try it. Thanks for sharing!

29 Courtney October 31, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Whoops! Sorry about that – it’s supposed to be baking SODA. I just changed it – thank you so much for letting me know!

30 Chelsea @ GlitterAndSweat October 31, 2012 at 8:22 pm

love anything with dark chocolate, defiantly going to add some to my future pumpkin or banana bread :)
Chelsea @ GlitterAndSweat recently posted..Just a Head’s Up

31 erin October 31, 2012 at 8:27 pm

I have this in the oven right now!!! I’m so excited to try it. Thanks for another great recipe :)

32 Brianne October 31, 2012 at 8:52 pm

This looks so good!!! I made Mal’s chili for dinner tonight for the family… had my husband’s family over and gave it rave reviews!! I think i may add more meat next time but its sooo much better than the chili packet stuff you buy at the store. thanks so much for so many great recipes!! Im bake the crackled sugar cookies regularly and everyone loves them too!!

33 Courtney October 31, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Awww, I love hearing that! I’m so glad it went over well :)

34 Lauren October 31, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Lady, you are the queen of these breads!! I love it! ;)
Lauren recently posted..WIAW: Halloween Edition

35 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 31, 2012 at 9:30 pm

looove quick breads. It’s been forever since I’ve made banana bread! Mainly because bananas are like gold around here. We snatch them up pretty quick!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..a halloween wiaw

36 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles October 31, 2012 at 9:55 pm

of course, chocolate makes everything better. ;-)
It’s been so long since I’ve made a quick bread…this would be a good way to break that streak :-p
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..WIAW # 8–Birthday Eats.

37 Ashley @ Sweat for Sweets October 31, 2012 at 10:32 pm

Looks amazing! I’m going to try making these gluten-free with quinoa powder + I MAYYYY just triple the amount of chocolate chips ;)
Ashley @ Sweat for Sweets recently posted..butter chicken pizza + an apology

38 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl November 1, 2012 at 12:02 am

You have got to stop posting all of these bread recipes! ;) They all look and sound soooo delicious…how will I ever make them all??
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..A Spicy Recipe to Keep You Warm: Vegetarian Tortilla Soup

39 Kerry November 1, 2012 at 1:16 am

I have been wondering what to do with the bananas sitting on my counter and now I know! Thanks so much, can’t wait to try it!
Kerry recently posted..Make Your Band’s Site Sing

40 Jeanine November 1, 2012 at 6:44 am

This looks amazing!!! I will try it this weekend, Thanks doll :)
Jeanine recently posted..Hello November!!

41 Emilie @ Hungry Delights November 1, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Holy macaroni – Looks delicious! I have some over-ripe bananas that I have just found a use for!
Emilie @ Hungry Delights recently posted..WIAW – It is heating up!

42 Jane November 1, 2012 at 10:36 pm

I LOVE banana bread w/ choc. chips in it! I’ve been having it for years – yours definitely sounds a bit healthier though!!! :) Love your site and your great recipes. Am gonna try your latest pumpkin choc. chip carmelita bars next. I am CRAZY abt. carmelita bars and yours sound better than the traditional recipe. Can’t wait to sink my teeth into them! Thanks for your fun and delicious blog!!!!

43 Bek @ Crave November 2, 2012 at 1:47 am

Looks tasty!
Bek @ Crave recently posted..The only way is up

44 Vani January 26, 2013 at 9:04 pm

I don’t have applesauce! Is there any other ingredient I can use as a substitute?

45 Courtney January 27, 2013 at 10:31 am

You can use oil and maybe pumpkin or Greek yogurt

46 Vani January 27, 2013 at 10:42 am

Thank you for the prompt reply. I made applesauce (based on a recipe found online) and successfully baked the banana bread. It tasted really good – thank you :)