Good Enough To Eat

by Courtney on November 13, 2012

Today has definitely been one of those days where I feel like I’m being super productive, yet I have nothing to show for it. Don’t you hate when that happens? Thankfully though, I have gotten quite a bit done, so I’m gonna keep truckin’ along so I can go have some fun tonight!

Late this morning, I took a break for a little workout. I spent about 40 minutes on the treadmill doing some intervals, and then followed it up with a slightly altered version of this upper body superset workout. Felt great to lift the weight again…it’s been a while. Once I was done with that, I made myself a quick GNC 100% Egg Protein shake to hold me over until lunch. I really do love that stuff!

A couple of hours later, it was time for lunch.

I decided to try out the Trader Joe’s organic tomato and roasted red pepper soup that I picked up over the weekend today.

I added in some extra leftover veggies from my dinner last night too (from a bag of frozen broccoli, carrots, sugar snap peas, and water chestnuts) and, of course, also had to have a generous helping of mini saltines.

My verdict on the soup was that it was good enough to eat…but not great. I have a feeling that the “low sodium” version I picked up may have something to do with my decision, since it didn’t seem to have as much flavor as I was hoping for. I guess next time I’ll have to try adding in a few more spices of my own. Anyone have any recommendations??

Shortly after lunch (okay, as soon as I put the bowl in the sink) I snagged a cookie off the cooling rack.

I was making a batch of Loaded Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies for the winning bidder from the Sweets for Sandy auction, but I’m actually not all that happy with the outcome of this batch.

Geez. Either I’m super hard to please today or my baking skills are just off…booooo.

I’ve since decided that I’ll have to make another batch; I want to be sure I’m only sending out the very best, so I guess we’ll just have to manage with these over here. I mean, don’t get me wrong, they’re still good enough to eat. Winking smile

Later tonight, I’m meeting up with Sarah, Mal, and Denise (some of my favorite ladies/ family!) for dinner, which I’m super pumped about. Can’t beat a girls’ night out, right??

1 Natalie @ Free Range Human November 13, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Girls’ Night Out is the best! Have fun!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Food For Thought

2 Shanna, like Banana November 13, 2012 at 2:51 pm

I’m not a fan of the low sodium version either…try adding some garlic salt to it. Def helps. Or just buy the regular version ;)
Shanna, like Banana recently posted..In a nutshell

3 Courtney November 13, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Haha, that’s the plan for next time. ;)

4 Shilpa November 13, 2012 at 11:50 pm

The regular version of that soup is amazing! And you can actually taste the peppers, too. I’ve had the low sodium one before and it tastes like more of a bland tomato soup. Definitely try the regular version next time – you’ll love it!

5 Angela @ Health's Angel November 13, 2012 at 2:54 pm

I’m so critical of myself when it comes to baking. Many times, I’ll bake something and deem it not to be “my best”…but then other people try what I made and love it. We’re all our own worst critics! Thanks for the heads-up about that soup, I’ve been tempted to buy it but I just wasn’t sure about it!
Angela @ Health’s Angel recently posted..Cube Life = Healthy Life?

6 Trisha November 13, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Man, you’re really killing me with all of the mini saltines photos. I’m trying to resist extra carbs leading up to Thanksgiving but all I want is those darn crackers! :)
I made some monster cookies on Sunday that definitely were not up to my standards, but everyone else said they were fine. I think we’re all our own worst critics.
Cheers to girls night! My gals & I gathered last week to watch the election results roll in (weird?) & then a couple of us also got together for the last farmer’s market of the season on Saturday. I love being at home with my boys, but girl time is so much fun too!
Trisha recently posted..Final Attempt

7 Michelle@Peachy Palate November 13, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Cookie looks so good! I made a vegan oatmeal cookie up at the moment if you fancy trying something different :) For the soup I’d add some Navy beans and plenty of fresh basil! Maybe blend in or chop in some soaked sundried tomatoes (soaked in water, the kind you buy dry not in oil). Or some toasted cubed bread and a sprinkling of cheese would be good! A dash of balsamic could also bring it to life!
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..Can’t believe it’s not butter

8 Elaine November 13, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Love girls nights! And I recently submitted a recipe for a digital bake sale to raise money for Hurricane Sandy Relief. I think it’s such a great idea and awesome to see so many people getting involved! Hope your second batch of cookies turns out better :)
Elaine recently posted..Stuffed Chicken Meatballs

9 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl November 13, 2012 at 3:18 pm

I love the addition of extra vegetables to the soup. What a great way to add nutrients and flavor and to make the soup more filling.

Those cookies sure look delicious. I am sure they taste far better than you are leading us all to believe. That is going to be one lucky bidder!
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Sweet Potato and “Sausage” Hash + Roasted Part 5: Green Beans

10 Caitlin F. November 13, 2012 at 3:25 pm

I’m obsessed with TJ’s Roasted Red Pepper & Tomato soup. In my opinion, the reduced sodium one has a completely different taste and not in a good way. Bleh. Pick up the regular version! You won’t be disappointed. :)

11 Megan S. November 13, 2012 at 3:32 pm

I love that TJ’s Red Pepper and Tomato soup. i bought the low sodium version before and found that if I put in some corn or black beans, sprinkled with a tiny bit of sweetener (I use Truvia) it tastes fantastic :)

12 Annette@FitnessPerks November 13, 2012 at 4:02 pm

I’ve never tried that soup? I usually add in essential oils & that immediately spices things up! Like oregano or cilantro (depending on the soup).

Have fun tonight :)
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..5 Tips to Becoming a Morning Exerciser

13 Em November 13, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Your soup bowl set is so cute!
Em recently posted..Belle Chèvre’s Honey Flavored Spreadable Goat Cheese

14 Marielle November 13, 2012 at 4:20 pm

I’ve never tried that soup before….maybe I will but not the low sodium version :) have fun on your girls night, those are the best!
Marielle recently posted..Finding Balance + Greatist

15 Lily November 13, 2012 at 5:07 pm

Definitely go crazy with your own favorite spices. And then, top the soup with a light sprinkle of super coarse sea salt on top, so that the flavor doesn’t cook out, and you still get a low sodium soup.
Lily recently posted..Fall Fashion & Outfit of the Day

16 Laura @ LauraLikesDesign November 13, 2012 at 5:36 pm

I agree–the low sodium factor makes it a little bland. I usually make up for it by adding a million goldfish crackers.

17 Joanna @ Running Places November 13, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Sounds like you and I had identical days of running around and somehow accomplishing nothing. At 4:30p I was exhausted and somehow like, WHERE did the time go?

Garlic, salt + pepper and onion are always safe additions to a soup. And, for roasted red pepper and tomato, I’d try oregano as my spice addition. And I also recommend a splash of some lemon juice or vinegar to add a flavor pop!
Joanna @ Running Places recently posted..Why I’m a Health-Blogger Who Still Drinks Diet Soda

18 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More November 13, 2012 at 6:07 pm

I love those mini saltines, I think I’m going to have to find some!
And as much as I want to like the low sodium versions better, I do think they need a few extra spices. I got the low sodium butternut squash soup which was good but not great, so I added some nutmeg and it was delicious!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Memories

19 Traci November 13, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Same thoughts on that soup from TJs. I really want to like their soups but they’re just OK. The butternut squash and Latin black bean are more flavorful though, if you do go back!

20 Kelly @ Femme Fitale November 13, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Look out, cookie sheet! You’re being used tomorrow!!! :)
Kelly @ Femme Fitale recently posted..Egg-cellenté, Presidenté

21 Chelsea @ GlitterAndSweat November 13, 2012 at 6:20 pm

another batch will help tons :) love days where we’re able to just get things done, makes you feel just accomplished :)

22 michelle kim November 13, 2012 at 6:23 pm

You can send me the batch you don’t like. I’m not picky and I see “loaded peanut butter” in the cookie name. I’ll definitely like it :D
michelle kim recently posted..OMG, So Yummy

23 Amanda @ .running with spoons. November 13, 2012 at 7:35 pm

I’ve never had great experiences with low sodium soups either. Actually, I can’t really think of any canned/boxed soup that I enjoy. They’re great in a pinch, but there’s definitely no beating the homemade kind. Hope you have fun with your girls!
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... blindly going in the right direction .

24 Danica @ It's Progression November 13, 2012 at 8:25 pm

What do you think of that cranberry apple butter?
I tried TJ’s pumpkin butter, and it was okay but not something I’d get again.
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..my struggle: is it enough?

25 Jess @ Blonde Ponytail November 13, 2012 at 8:42 pm

I’m a TJ’s regular now–so this is good to know as soup season is in full effect! If you need to unload any of those cookies, I’ll be happy to help you out! ;)
Jess @ Blonde Ponytail recently posted..CrossFit Countdown Home Workout

26 Lyric November 13, 2012 at 8:55 pm

That Cranberry Apple Butter looks so good… MAN I wish they had a TJ’s in Canada :(:(
Lyric recently posted..I am a Runner.

27 Emily November 13, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Hi Courtney!

First off, I just wanted to thank you for sharing your experience with HA and encourage you on your journey to better health; you’re doing great! Second, in terms of the TJ’s soup, their canned lentil soup is a really yummy one that you can amp up with other veggies or proteins :)
Emily recently posted..Back at it

28 Khushboo November 13, 2012 at 10:13 pm

I once made the mistake of buying low sodium soy sauce…some things need the added salt!!

29 Fizz @ fizzsbizz November 14, 2012 at 12:26 am

I always have the highest hopes for TJ’s soups and sadly, I’m always a bit disappointed! I thought at first it was because of the low sodium too, but I think I just have to face it…they don’t do it for me. You live, you learn!
Fizz @ fizzsbizz recently posted..Married Moment!

30 Nicole November 14, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Have you ever tried celery salt? I know it adds good flavor for chicken noodle soup. But yeah, I agree with your other readers and think garlic salt would be good! Maybe if you sautee some of your additional veggies in Garlic Gold? Hmm….! ;)
Nicole recently posted..What I love today….Kashi Go Lean

31 Bek @ Crave November 14, 2012 at 11:49 pm

Atleast you have a batch of cookies for yourself now!
Bek @ Crave recently posted..How To STAY Healthy

32 Mollie @Sprinkles of Life November 16, 2012 at 3:12 pm

The low sodium version definitely isnt as good as the regular. Our cupboard is regularly stocked with that soup! So good when paired with grilled cheese to dip it in! :)
Mollie @Sprinkles of Life recently posted..Random Happenings, take 3

33 Laura November 18, 2012 at 9:47 pm

I love that soup but definitely not the low sodium. We keep it on hand to have with grilled cheese on a busy and chilly winter night.
Laura recently posted..Cranberry, Caramelized Onion, and Goat Cheese Dip