Baby Tooth: 24 Weeks

by Courtney on April 2, 2013

Only 16 weeks left to go!

24 weeks

Baby Tooth is just over 24 weeks today and is about the length of an ear of corn or the size of a cantaloupe, depending on where you read (two totally different items of produce, so I’m having trouble getting an image). Winking smile

Here’s what Baby Tooth has been up to this week:

• Baby Tooth is growing steadily, having gained about 4 ounces since last week. That puts him at just over a pound.
  • His body is filling out proportionally and he’ll soon start to plump up.
  • His brain is growing quickly now, and his taste buds are continuing to develop.
  • His lungs are developing “branches” of the respiratory “tree” as well as cells that produce surfactant, a substance that will help his air sacs inflate once he hits the outside world.
  • His skin is still thin and translucent, but that will start to change soon.

And here’s what’s been happening with me this past week:

Weight gained: Yesterday was our 24 week appointment, and the doctor told me that I’ve gained 15 pounds so far, which she described as “perfect.” Kinda liked hearing that! Some days, with the amount of food that I take in, it’s crazy to think how it’s not more like 25…I guess the body really does know what it’s doing!

Workouts: The past week was fairly decent…I got in a couple cardio sessions, two yoga sessions (including the one I won’t attempt again anytime soon), a Pilates session, and a go at my 10lb. Slimdown full body workout. As I’m typing this it’s Monday evening…I did the workout Friday morning and I’m still feeling it in my legs. Yowsahs.

Symptoms: Fairly low-key this week:

• Some tightening in the belly on and off, which the doctor said could very well be Braxton Hicks contractions. She said not to worry about them, but to make sure I’m staying hydrated, as that can also be one of the causes of getting them.
  • Hunger that comes and goes…one day I’m ravenous, the next day I’m pretty normal.
  • Lots of trips to the bathroom, yet never really feeling like I can fully empty my bladder.

Movement: YES! My little guy is a dancing machine…AND, Jay finally got to feel him! Friday night, we were laying in bed reading and I told him he should try to see if he could feel something. Sure enough, he kept up with his kicks! At first, he wasn’t totally sure if he was feeling it, but then Baby Tooth gave him a good one and he knew for sure. It was so, so cool.

Food Aversions: Not too many – hot coffee is still so-so, but iced coffee sounds fantastic. Shrimp still gives me the willies. Other than that, I’m pretty good.

Food Cravings: Mexican, cheeseburgers, yogurt, peanut butter, diet ginger ale, cheese, and chocolate. Maybe one of these days I’ll crave something green and/or healthier. Winking smile

Sleep: Pretty good! I still wake up at least twice a week, usually to hit up the bathroom, but I’ve been having fairly good luck at getting comfy and falling asleep quickly.

Stretch marks? Nada!

Miss Anything?  Pre-pregnancy workouts, wearing regular pants/clothes, and beer. Sorry, it’s true. I do…especially now that warmer weather is on the way!

Fun and/or Interesting Things from the Week: Painting the nursery was fun. It’s starting to look so good, and although we’re holding off on showing it until it’s finished, you can get somewhat of a sneak peek in this week’s photos…

Other fun things from the week? Jay being able to feel Baby Tooth move, and both of us being able to SEE him move at this week’s appointment! As I was lying on the table and we were listening to the sweet sounds of his heartbeat, we could actually see him moving quite a bit. The doctor said she wondered if he had the hiccups(!).

Belly Button in or out? Still in…no signs of that changing anytime soon, as somewhat evidenced in this photo here…

Wedding rings on or off? On.

Happy or moody most of the time: Happy 95% of the time…the other 5% consists of random moodiness and being a total worrywart. My latest worry? Daycare. There is SO much to think about, and so much to look into. I’m at a point right now where I just have no idea how I’m ever going to find someone I’m comfortable enough with and can trust…is this normal? Am I already being overprotective and crazy? I’ve been trying to do a bunch of asking around, but I’m still feeling like I’m at square one. Ohhh, if only my mom would retire early. Winking smile

New Baby Items: Our new glider and ottoman is here!

Other than that, I can’t think of anything else?

Looking Forward To: Continuing with the nursery, getting the rest of our furniture in, finalizing our registries, and just continuing to experience the growing belly! Smile

1 Claire @ Flake and Cake April 2, 2013 at 7:06 am

Aww Courtney I’m so glad to hear that Jay finally got to share some Baby Tooth magic! You look glowing :)

2 Caitlyn @ City and the Cubicle April 2, 2013 at 7:08 am

You are such a cute pregnant lady. How great Jay finally got to experience some movement!

3 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey April 2, 2013 at 7:17 am

I love the colors you picked for the nursery! I wish any kind of coffee sounded good to me right now!

4 Katie April 2, 2013 at 7:19 am

You look so adorable!

So glad Jay got to feel him for the first time, very exciting moment! I know when Mike felt Baby G for the first time he was fascinated, haha! It truly is crazy to have a human growing inside your belly, every day Mike still can’t believe it!

Love the glider, we got a similar one and it is so comfy!

And I still can’t drink hot coffee, has to be iced or a no for me, so weird how pregnancy is!

5 Audrey @ In Shape Cupcake April 2, 2013 at 7:25 am

YAY! Glad Jay got to feel the little guy move! Are you two still thinking of names?
Audrey @ In Shape Cupcake recently posted..I Love Easter

6 Erin April 2, 2013 at 7:30 am

Love the glider! What brand/model is it?

7 Courtney April 2, 2013 at 10:26 am

I’d have to double check later, but I know we got it from Buy Buy Baby and it’s on our registry (aka, the only thing on that one lol)

8 Erin @Axell's Kitchen April 2, 2013 at 7:43 am

Ahh you look so cute!!
And you are not being overprotective, just worrying about your little man! Levi is almost a year old and I have never let anyone watch him other than my mom and only spent the night away from him twice because I had to for Stu’s military events! Oh and sending the painting today!
Erin @Axell’s Kitchen recently posted..Kahlua Cheesecake Swirl Brownies

9 Shari April 2, 2013 at 7:54 am

How special that Jay finally got to feel the little guy! :)
Shari recently posted..Happy 50th, General Hospital!

10 Lindsay @ Lindsay's List April 2, 2013 at 8:10 am

you are so adorable!!
Lindsay @ Lindsay’s List recently posted..best decisions series – meet maureen

11 Tiff April 2, 2013 at 8:17 am

Awww, hiccups! I bet that was adorable. You’re looking great mama!

12 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles April 2, 2013 at 8:28 am

Looking beautiful Courtney!

13 Whitney April 2, 2013 at 8:30 am

I told my mom I wasn’t having kids until she retires….and I’m partially not kidding! :)

14 Avery @ Southern Belle Living Well April 2, 2013 at 8:32 am

Sounds like Baby Tooth is right on target! These next 16 weeks are gonna pass by fast, enjoy them!

15 Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes April 2, 2013 at 8:38 am

How amazing Jay got to feel him kick! That’s such a special moment :-)
Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes recently posted..Leaving inpatient… a long drive from Denver back to Houston

16 Danica @ It's Progression April 2, 2013 at 9:01 am

love the pink!
And just like you said, it’s amazing that the body just knows what it’s doing!
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..Apple Cinnamon Granola {recipe}

17 Jennifer@knackfornutrition April 2, 2013 at 9:04 am

Is it weird that I kind of want a glider now? It looks so comfortable! haha!
Jennifer@knackfornutrition recently posted..Weight Watchers is Now A Healthcare Company?

18 Courtney April 2, 2013 at 10:19 am

No way…it’s SUPER comfy!

19 whitney April 2, 2013 at 9:25 am

I’m due a day before you and love following your updates as I’m going through a lot of the same things! I think being a worrywart comes with the territory of becoming a mom. I have found myself saying, “Will I be a good mom??” and it wasn’t until the other day that someone said, “Yes, you will because you WANT to be a good mom. That’s really all it takes!” :)

20 Courtney April 2, 2013 at 10:18 am

So true!!

21 Kathryn April 2, 2013 at 9:33 am

I’m totally going to get sorta TMI for a second on the bathroom thing. With both my kids, once I got around where you are, I had to change my position on the toilet. For example, usually I sit straight up and down, while pregnant I had to actually lean forward (which is hard with the belly). So, if you feel like you aren’t getting everything empty, try changing your position, it might open things up better.

22 Courtney April 2, 2013 at 10:18 am

I’ve actually heard that! Haha…thanks for the heads up :)

23 Steph April 2, 2013 at 12:43 pm

It’s funny that this advice was given! I’m due the same day as you, Courtney, and have been having the same issue. So frustrating! Someone recommended leaning forward and it has helped SO much. File this under “things you never expected about pregnancy” :)

24 Becky G April 2, 2013 at 9:38 am

You look so beautiful! (PS- I’m 33 weeks preggers, and earlier on I was informed that ‘diet’ drinks are not the best as the artificial sweeteners can stay in the fetal tissue for a long time. I know we get bombarded with what to do and what not to do, but I didn’t know about that one and I just wanted to let you know so that you can research it and decide what you want to do!!)

25 Lauren April 2, 2013 at 9:55 am

It amazes me you’re still working out! Go girl! Haha, at missing beer. Baseball season is here so I can imagine it’s hard for you! You just have to wait 16 weeks…. :-P
Lauren recently posted..Tuesday Tangents

26 Dalis April 2, 2013 at 9:56 am

Courtney
I had a baby last April and was set to go back in October ( I am teacher and took 1 st quarter off in addition to end of the year leave) and could not do it. Unless you have to work for financial reasons, take at least the 1 st year off. Yes, we have had to cut back with spending but I can’t imagine how I would have missed all of my daughter’s firsts. The bonding in the first year is so special. I have to make my decision about next year, we can take up to 2 years on leave, and it’s still hard. Actually hoping I can go part-time. So, my advice…save save save and stay with your peanut! All the money in the world cannot buy that precious time back:)

27 Allison April 2, 2013 at 10:10 am

Gosh Courtney, you just look beautiful and so happy! Glad to hear things are going so well :)
Allison recently posted..Natural Vitality Review & Giveaway!

28 Annie April 2, 2013 at 10:39 am

I went back to work after 12 weeks. I hired a nanny for three months and then sent to daycare starting at 6 months! It worked out perfectly. Just an idea! You and your bump look adorable! :-)

29 Taylor April 2, 2013 at 11:21 am

You are such an adorable little pregnant lady! I love the long tank tops, where did you find them? Daycare was really hard for us too, and we finally found one we love, but with our second boy on the way we can’t afford two there. I’m looking into an in-home daycare or a nanny, but it is stressful. I wish my mom would retire too!

30 Natalie @ Will Jog For Food April 2, 2013 at 11:21 am

You look awesome! It’s so exciting for the hubby to feel the baby for the first time. I rarely crave anything healthy either, hehe. Except for maybe fruit and smoothies once in a while ;)
Natalie @ Will Jog For Food recently posted..Week 39 – Still Cooking

31 Lindsey April 2, 2013 at 12:09 pm

I love those purple pants! Where did you try those on at? I’m 14 weeks:)

32 Sue April 2, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Daycare was a nightmare for me (I still remember and it has been 16 years LOL). My husband still reminds me of my almost nervous breakdowns about it too. I remember leaving some places and bursting into tears on the way home saying I was never, ever going to be able to find a good daycare and I was just going to have to quit my job. Luckily my twin sister who had a baby before I did told me that it would all work out and I would know when I found the right person/center. She was right. My daughter went to a home daycare and stayed there until she was old enough to go home by herself. That family became good friends and we still keep in touch. It will work out!! You look so cute by the way!!!

33 Shel@PeachyPalate April 2, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Food cravings are usually signs of deficiencies or just an extra requirement due to the growing lickle babies needs. I guess magnesium based on the chocolate, cheese and peanut butter! Big cheese cravings are also commonly associated with baby boys! Nuts seeds beans and greens and avocado are great ways to pack in the magnesium!
Shel@PeachyPalate recently posted..Peas on toast

34 Amanda Perry @ Sistas of Strength April 2, 2013 at 3:24 pm

You are too cute. I love those purple pants!!!

35 Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 2, 2013 at 3:28 pm

You look gorgeous, as always! :) And I’m so glad that Jay was able to feel him kick. There’s nothing better! Just wait … you’re going to be in my shoes (due any day now!) before you know it! ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..39 Weeks: Our Big Decision.

36 Katy @ HaveYouHurd April 2, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Daycare was my most stressful baby to-do for sure. You just have to do what’s best for you guys. There is no right or wrong answer, but you need to be comfortable with whatever you choose. Ask around for suggestions from people you trust and remember, whatever you choose is not permanent, you can always change your mind!
Katy @ HaveYouHurd recently posted..My Maternity Closet

37 Lauren April 2, 2013 at 4:12 pm

I had my little guy last October and took 4 months off with him. I drove myself insane worrying about daycare and after visiting a bunch decided I just wasn’t ready for that yet so we ended up hiring a nanny. I’m a teacher, so we just hired her until mid-June and then we’ll reevaluate everything next school year. I am so lucky in that I was able to just go back part-time this school year so I don’t miss a whole lot during the day. I found our nanny through word of mouth and so far she has worked out perfectly!

38 Kelly @ Femme Fitale April 2, 2013 at 4:13 pm

I have been away from the blog scene (reading & writing) for the past 6 weeks after our little guy was born on Valentine’s Day! You look fantastic!!! Totally keep up the light workouts for as long as possible…I did right up until the end, and I truly believe it was what helped me have a fantastic labour experience. Also, I know it’s a little belated, but the whole “Baby Tooth” concept is genius! Great job, girl!

39 Rachel S. April 2, 2013 at 5:01 pm

You are too cute. I love those colored pants, I wish they had those when I was pregnant. I never had to take off my wedding ring and my belly button never “popped”. I did how ever have to buy bigger shoes for work, but just wider shoes not longer shoes, and my feet went back to normal after wards.

40 Miranda @ Miranda Runs April 2, 2013 at 7:37 pm

Aw you’re so cute! I can’t wait for Baby Tooth to come :)
Miranda @ Miranda Runs recently posted..Operation: Prom Dress 2013

41 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake April 2, 2013 at 7:48 pm

You look so cute!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Running: What’s Next?

42 Lauren @ Confessions of a First Time Mom April 2, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Looking fab! The daycare search *is* so so so stressful. But at least you’re ahead of the game and looking early. Where I live (Toronto), you have to get on wait lists when you’re 6 months pregnant, or else you definitely don’t get a spot. A friend sent me a list of questions to ask daycare providers when I was on the hunt and I found that really helpful. Feel free to be in touch if you want the list. :)
Lauren @ Confessions of a First Time Mom recently posted..This Thing

43 Olviya April 2, 2013 at 8:49 pm

Gosh, you are one gorgeous momma to be!

44 Jess @ Blonde Ponytail April 2, 2013 at 11:01 pm

Looking fabulous mama! So glad everything is going well and your baby boy is healthy. I’m at 31 weeks and can’t believe how close it is! Yikes!!
Jess @ Blonde Ponytail recently posted..I’m Shaped Like an Easter Egg

45 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries April 3, 2013 at 12:18 am

Your little belly definitely blossomed this past week! You look great Court! :) So glad Jay got to feel your little guy – so special!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..Baby Hunter Update #3

46 Bek @ Crave April 3, 2013 at 2:34 am

Haha, hopefully the subtle hint goes through to your mum ;) HAha, don’t stress yourself! Love the update thanks :)
Bek @ Crave recently posted..I’m Feeling Motivated Today

47 Koryn @ High Heels & Healthy Alternatives April 3, 2013 at 5:12 pm

I absolutely LOVE your posts, especially your “Baby Tooth” updates! Always so detailed and SO Exciting! All the best in completing the nursery. And I think it’s completely understandable re: your concern about daycare. The hubster and I are not even pregnant yet and I already have been thinking up ways to get my mom over here when that time comes… lol!
Koryn @ High Heels & Healthy Alternatives recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday #5 goes Green… sort of ;-)

48 char eats greens April 4, 2013 at 4:07 pm

Love the glider! We have one in a similar colour. When I was pregnant, my hubby felt the baby move a day after I felt her move. So glad it happened sooner than later so he wasn’t missing out! haha
char eats greens recently posted..thursday things: i’m wired

49 Brenda April 4, 2013 at 10:39 pm

Oh, daycare. I found my son’s babysitter by asking coworkers who were super over-protective of their children who they took their children to when they were infants. This actually worked! My son has been going to his babysitter for about 15 months now, and we couldn’t be happier. He’s one of 4 ‘babies’ under two that she watches. I must also mention that I didn’t secure her as a babysitter until my son was already 2 weeks old!

50 Holly April 5, 2013 at 3:28 pm

I don’t know about prices up there, but one of the big things with daycare down here was the price. It’s INSANE! part of why I decided to stay home. It was like I would be working to pay for daycare (not completely, but you get the idea) and I would much rather be home with her, than working to send her to daycare.
I hope you can convince your Mom to retire :D That would be absolutely PERFECT! Does she work everyday? Could she do some days? And then a Nanny for the others?
Holly recently posted..Flashback Friday…Kind of

51 Angie May 1, 2013 at 10:12 pm

My husband got me the exact same glider and ottoman! Even though I have a few more weeks until my baby arrives, I already love sitting in it.

52 Andrea May 3, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Wow, I can’t imagine going back to work so soon after baby! In Canada the norm is one year of maternity leave!