Panini Day

by Courtney on May 21, 2013

So while I was at the Farmer’s Market on Saturday, I decided to buy a loaf of bread that we’d be able to use to make some paninis. I’m pretty sure it was the latest issue of Cooking Light magazine that revved up my desire for a panini, but whatever it was, they just sounded goooood.

With our fresh, new loaf of bread in the house, we deemed Sunday a “panini day” in our house…starting with breakfast.

Jay did a fabulous job of making the two of us a couple of turkey bacon, egg, and cheese paninis. The bread is really the perfect size because it doesn’t wind up making super massive sandwiches like this one. Soooo, so good.

We skipped having paninis for lunch because, well, I hardly ever end up eating a “real lunch” if we’re home on the weekends. I usually just wind up having mini meals throughout the afternoon. Dinner though? We were back to the panini.

I cooked up a few ears of (surprisingly good for it being May) corn on the cob and roasted some fresh asparagus with a little EVOO, salt, pepper, and parmesan cheese (SO good…please do this! 400 degrees for about 20-30 mins).

For our sandwiches, we loaded them with marinated and grilled chicken breasts, provolone cheese, spinach, tomato, and spread them with some gar la la. To flavor the bread, we spread a thin layer of butter and sprinkles a little Italian seasoning.

Oh my goodness…so messy. So good.

While that may have been the end of our panini streak on Sunday, the good food didn’t stop there. Right now, Price Chopper is having a BOGO deal on Ben & Jerry’s and I somehow found my way over to that aisle while grocery shopping…can I just say how impressed I am with this Blueberry Vanilla Graham Greek frozen yogurt?

I’ve seen their frozen Greek yogurt for a while now, but it never really appealed much to me until the other day so I thought I’d give it a shot. I am DEFINITELY a fan…love the graham cracker swirls throughout it!

*****

So there was a little recap of Sunday’s good eats, since I didn’t get a chance to share them with you earlier. Yesterday’s eats weren’t all that exciting…and I wasn’t planning on doing much of anything for dinner since Jay wasn’t going to be around, but then his plans changed so I had to come up with something.

Enter: Annie’s mac & cheese ;)

I’ve sort of been craving mac and cheese lately, so this worked out perfect. I cooked up a box as directed then added in some diced tomatoes, fresh spinach, and leftover grilled chicken for added bulk and nutrition. Annie’s is always good in a pinch, and I usually try to keep a few boxes on hand just in case.

Before I got to work on that delicious dinner above, I decided to squeeze in a little Pilates session (in my new Reebok tee, which I wanted to be able to wear at least once before the bump really takes over!).

I had the energy to move, which was great, but my main motivation for doing it, to be honest, was to try to get Baby Tooth to move. He spent the majority of the day yesterday parked right under my right rib cage and good lord was it uncomfortable. Thankfully, the Pilates did help a little bit (along with some extra cat/cow stretches), and so far today he seems to have relocated his little feet.

Let’s just hope he stays that way. ;)

Speaking of the little guy…the Baby Tooth page was updated this morning AND there’s a giveaway, too. Check it out!

*My thoughts and prayers go out to all of those who have been affected by the devastating tornado in Oklahoma. (This article has some great ways you can help the victims of this awful tragedy.)

1 Alex May 21, 2013 at 8:58 am

Everything in this post looks delish!!! I have been eyeing the ben & jerry’s greek yogurt for awhile and really would like to try it soon.

2 Claire @ Flake and Cake May 21, 2013 at 9:00 am

Oh my goodness that fro yo looks amazing! I don’t know if we can get it here in the UK but I’m def going to keep my eyes peeled!
Claire @ Flake and Cake recently posted..MIMM: Coffee, coffee, coffee

3 Linz @ Itz Linz May 21, 2013 at 9:02 am

i’m more of a cold sandwich type of gal rather than hot so paninis never appeal that much too much…. although they always do look delicious!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Blend Retreat 2013

4 Tiff @ Love Sweat & Beers May 21, 2013 at 9:05 am

I really like the idea of “panini day.” I have a nice panini press at home, but I rarely use it!
Tiff @ Love Sweat & Beers recently posted..Motivation & ALT

5 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl May 21, 2013 at 9:11 am

Those paninis look amazing! I love the idea of eating paninis for breakfast. Breakfast sandwiches are great, but in the form of a panini, I bet they are amazing!!

That asparagus looks awesome, too! I will have to try that out. And seriously, how amazing is it that sweet corn actually tastes good in MAY? It is awesome!
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Magazine Monday: Tofu Ramen Soup

6 Caitlyn @ City and the Cubicle May 21, 2013 at 9:14 am

Those paninis sound amazing. Now I’m really craving them! I love that Reebok top, too.
Caitlyn @ City and the Cubicle recently posted..MIMM: Baby, You A Song

7 Sara @ fitcupcaker May 21, 2013 at 9:23 am

I want that panini, like now..its looks so good! Blueberry vanilla graham, I havent seen that one yet, I need that im my life too!
Sara @ fitcupcaker recently posted..BLEND Retreat Part 1: What is Swag?

8 Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian May 21, 2013 at 9:29 am

Sales on Ben and Jerry’s are so dangerous!! I love their Greek Yogurt brand – it’s surprisingly delicious.
Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian recently posted..A Change in Schedule

9 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More May 21, 2013 at 9:34 am

I tried the Ben & Jerrys peanut butter banana Greek frozen yogurt which was really good too! I was pleasantly surprised!

10 Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl May 21, 2013 at 9:46 am

Those paninis look delicious! I need to pull my panini out….it’s been way too long.
Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted..Sad Day

11 Chelsea @ LittleOneRuns May 21, 2013 at 9:47 am

I use to get the gluten free and dairy free mac and cheese from Annie’s, it was surprisingly good! I’ve just realized, I’ve never had a panini before….and I find it super odd lol.
Chelsea @ LittleOneRuns recently posted..Review!!

12 Chelsea @ CrazyBullies May 21, 2013 at 10:03 am

Hey! What kind of bread did you buy! I’ve been wanting to make paninis but I need a good bread idea!!!
Chelsea @ CrazyBullies recently posted..Weekend Round Up

13 Courtney May 21, 2013 at 10:05 am

I think I got a french loaf, but it’s not my favorite…it doesn’t hold up as well as others I’ve gotten before! I’d just ask wherever you’re buying it what they recommend. :)

14 Chelsea @ CrazyBullies May 21, 2013 at 10:25 am

Awesome!!! Thanks so much!!! :-)
Chelsea @ CrazyBullies recently posted..Weekend Round Up

15 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat May 21, 2013 at 10:05 am

I love paninis! I haven’t had one in so long though! Yours looks amazing! Yummy!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..Our Weekend in PA Dutch Country – Day 2

16 Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 21, 2013 at 10:12 am

I keep a few boxes of Annie’s in my pantry too. They’re perfect in a pinch or, you know, whenever the craving strikes ;) I’m pretty sure I’ll never grow out of being addicted to Mac ‘n Cheese. And I’m loving the sound of those paninis. It’s been a while since I’ve had a savory one, but I loooove tossing an almond butter and banana sandwich onto my mini grill to get it all warmed up and melty. Oh swoon…
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... you won’t find happiness in a smaller pair of jeans .

17 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries May 21, 2013 at 10:26 am

I’ve been eyeing that frozen Greek yogurt for awhile now too. Glad to hear it’s so good!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..Oh How I’ve Missed You!

18 Michelle Kim May 21, 2013 at 10:27 am

Now I’m craving a panini… AND mac’n’cheese. I might have to find a way to just put the two together… mac’n’cheese panini? Hehehe!
That’s really great that you not only had the energy to workout, but baby tooth got to move around, too (I’m sure have his feet there for so many days was getting uncomfortable!).

19 Danielle @ It's A Harleyyy Life May 21, 2013 at 10:46 am

I love paninis! They are the best way to eat sandwiches no doubt!

20 Ashley @ Life and Fitness May 21, 2013 at 10:49 am

One thing I miss about being gluten free is bread! The paninis look delicious. I used to love the tomato&mozerella one from Panera.
Ashley @ Life and Fitness recently posted..My New Squash Favorite

21 cait @CakesandBeans May 21, 2013 at 10:55 am

I just ate breakfast… and now im hungry for lunch looking at those sandwiches! something about Panini’s make a sandwich sooooo soooo good!

and I LOVE that frozen yogurt .. I think that one you had is the best!

22 Natalie @ Free Range Human May 21, 2013 at 11:03 am

There’s nothing quite as good as fresh bread! There are just so many yummy things you can make. I’ve been seeing that frozen yogurt for awhile, but I haven’t tried it yet. I’m a huge Ben & Jerry’s fan though so I’m sure it would be right up my alley.
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Day One!

23 Allee @ Griselda Mood May 21, 2013 at 11:07 am

Love paninis! We are big fans of ours lately…there are so many things you can do with it and it’s pretty hard to make a BAD panini, haha!
Allee @ Griselda Mood recently posted..Errand Running & Actual Running

24 Lauren May 21, 2013 at 11:09 am

He’s trying to get good footing for when he needs to make his way out. Lol. I’ve been craving paninis since I looked through CL magazine, too, butttt we kind of don’t have a panini maker. Whomp, whomp. Btw, last night on the voice!!! My favorite I think was Josiah. I mean, I really liked his Coldplay performance. Plus, he’s a cutie.
Lauren recently posted..When is my “new day”?

25 Courtney May 21, 2013 at 11:49 am

Haha, I actually can’t stand Josiah! He’s definitely a cutie, but he knows it…and the way he looks out at the judges/audience drives me nutty! I love Sasha, she’s definitely a favorite…but there were a LOT of good ones last night!

26 Kristen @ notsodomesticated May 21, 2013 at 11:29 am

I’ve tried the peanut butter and banana version of that frozen Greek yogurt, and it’s also really delicious! I heart Ben & Jerry’s!!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Addison Grace: 1 month old

27 Annette@FitnessPerks May 21, 2013 at 11:44 am

Yuymm! That fro yo sounds deeeeelish!

CUTE workout top.
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..19 Weeks {First Baby Purchase}

28 victoria @ reluctantlyskinny May 21, 2013 at 12:43 pm

I’m pretty sure that every day should be panini day! Totally thinking about making an egg sandwich panini for lunch now!
victoria @ reluctantlyskinny recently posted..MIMM: catching up

29 Fizz @fizzsbizz May 21, 2013 at 12:47 pm

Ohhhh I LOVE a good panini! It’s fun to have a whole panini day. I think I might have a frozen yogurt ‘day’ some day soon. That would be awesome!
Fizz @fizzsbizz recently posted..A craving for salad!! Who am I??

30 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles May 21, 2013 at 1:45 pm

I always try to keep some Annie’s hanging around – throw in some veggies and a protein and you’ve got a pretty fabulous dinner! Now I’m wishing I could have had a panini for lunch today.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Coming to Terms With My Sweet Tooth.

31 Shel@PeachyPalate May 21, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Good call on the panini day! In Ireland panini’s are always made on flattened french rolls…:) Random but true!
Shel@PeachyPalate recently posted..Why I prefer a loaf…

32 Amy May 21, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Hello Courtney,
I have actually been reading your Blog (and I have been subscribed to it for awhile, actually). I have sincerely been enjoying watching your pregnancy! (I am single and never have had children, but it’s still really neat watching your process). I also love all the food pictures you take, recipes and mentioning yummy and helpful products “out-there.” Wonderful Blog!

Anyways, I wanted to ask you a question. I am looking into purchasing a George Foreman Grill, and I noticed the one you have in this post, and your link to your other Panini post. What is your make/brand of your George Foreman Grill?

Thank you.

~Amy
Amy recently posted..PROBAR – Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip

33 Courtney May 21, 2013 at 2:55 pm

Hey Amy, thanks for reading!
We actually have the Cuisinart Griddler Jr. which works similar to a George Foreman but also converts to a panini press. We love it! Here’s the item: http://astore.amazon.com/swetooswelif-20/detail/B000VA2USO

34 Amy May 21, 2013 at 3:01 pm

Hello Courtney,
Thank you so very much for letting me know which Grill yours is! I also really appreciate the link you included to it on your “Sweet Tooth Shop” page (that’s a really neat feature, BTW). I actually just added it to my Amazon Wish List for now!
Again, keep up the wonderful work on your Blog-Page. It’s such a delight to read each day. As well, I’m so excited for when Baby Tooth is born! He’s going to be a cutie!
~Amy :-)
Amy recently posted..PROBAR – Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip

35 Val @ Making It Sparkle May 21, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Ben and Jerry’s greek frozen yogurt? Seriously?!? I need to get my hands on that ASAP!

Making It Sparkle
Val @ Making It Sparkle recently posted..Don’t Feel Blue, Wear Blue

36 Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog May 21, 2013 at 5:32 pm

I love B&J’s Greek Yogurt Fro Yo – the blueberry is my favorite flavor. Our Stop n Shop has flavored Greek Fro Yo. I love the apple cinnamon flavor!
Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog recently posted..5Ks, Cupcakes and and Country Music

37 Danica @ It's Progression May 21, 2013 at 5:33 pm

That new Reebok shirt is super cute! Props to you for doing pilates…that’s always super hard for me, and I’m not even pregnant ;)
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..workouts 5/12 – 5/18

38 Ellie@Fit for the soul May 21, 2013 at 5:57 pm

Mmmm I really want some panini now! They look scrumptious, Courtney!
Ellie@Fit for the soul recently posted..Lengthen & Tighten+Group Exercise

39 Leigha May 21, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Panini day… I like it! I love having a yummy bread around. Both dinners look delicious! I need to get a panini maker.
Leigha recently posted..Cellcom Green Bay Half Marathon!

40 Miranda @ Miranda Runs May 21, 2013 at 8:14 pm

Is it weird that I’ve never had a panini?! I want one SO BADLY.
Miranda @ Miranda Runs recently posted..Operation: Prom Dress Week 8 {10 Day Slim Down}

41 Kierston @candyfit May 21, 2013 at 8:46 pm

I have yet to see that B & J greek yogurt deliciousness here!

You look fab darling! xo
Kierston @candyfit recently posted..Going With The Flow…

42 Mary May 21, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Played baseball with my family after dinner.

43 Jan @ Sprouts n Squats May 22, 2013 at 1:38 am

I wish they had that Ben and Jerry’s Frozen Yoghurt here in Australia, it looks delicious!

I love eating bread when it is freshly baked that day and your panini’s look delicious!
Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted..Trial Tuesdays #2

44 Tara | Treble in the Kitchen May 22, 2013 at 5:20 am

I have seen the Ben & Jerry’s Greek yogurt quite a few time as well and I am always curious! Good to know it is as delicious as it sounds…it may end up in my grocery cart very soon!
Tara | Treble in the Kitchen recently posted..6 Weeks to 6 Miles

45 Meghan @ After the Ivy League May 22, 2013 at 7:41 am

That panini for dinner looks so good! Flavoring the bread itself is such a smart idea, mm! And I love Annie’s Mac and Cheese, I buy a box every now and then to keep around too for a simple dinner, or post run fuel! I love making an entire box after a long 7-8 mile run, it’s the perfect way for me to replenish some carbs.
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..WIAW #33: Keepin’ it Real Simple