Fun Facts Friday {8/30}

by Courtney on August 30, 2013

1. I can’t believe it’s already Friday. I sort of feel like this week flew by and all sort of blended in together. It’s been a busy one too – Lucas and I traveled down to the softball fields 3 nights in a row this week. Lucky for me, he loves it down there!

2. I think over the course of the past three days, I’ve maybe eaten three vegetables. Maybe. And by three, I mean a tomato slice on a turkey sandwich, lettuce on same said sandwich, and spinach in one of my smoothies yesterday. It’s sad.

3. It really amazes me just how much time a teeny tiny, 9lb 5 oz little boy can take up. Having somebody so dependent on you is really an amazing, awesome thing. I just make sure that most tasks I need to do throughout the day can be done while multitasking.

4. Can I just complain very briefly about how much I’m already over the whole cleaning and sterilizing of breastpump parts and bottles? Man, talk about a process! (P.S. – I have had some of you ask and yes, I am exclusively breastfeeding. I started pumping once a day at about 2 weeks and have been giving Lucas an occasional bottle to get used to it for once I’m back to work in October. I’m extremely lucky that he has been a great eater right from the beginning, and has no problem breastfeeding or taking a bottle. PLUS, that means mommy and daddy need to have a date night soon!).

5. My brother and his girlfriend moved into their new house this week! I’m so happy and excited for them and am hoping to make it over there sometime this weekend to visit. You may remember when they were renovating? Well, it looks totally different now!

6. I need to give a huuuuuuge “Congratulations!” shout out to my girl, Chelsey, who gave birth to her two beautiful little twin girls. I’ve been talking with her all week and knew how ready she was to have them arrive. Awww, so many babies!!

7. I want to bake some cookies this weekend. Badly. I’m thinking I may have to make these. Or these. Both are always amazing standby’s.

8. We just received Lucas’ birth announcements in the mail yesterday (we ordered from Tiny Prints) and I’m so excited to send them out! Once I get them out in the mail, I’ll share with you guys. Promise.

9. This past week I did an upper body weights workout and WOW my arms were sore! Plus, I think my elbows are permanently sore now from carrying around little man’s car seat (that thing is HEAVY). I think I may attempt the upper body weights again today since I’m feeling back to normal. It feels sooooo good.

10. Although it has been amazing to have some of our freezer dinners available and on hand, I must say…I really wish I had some premade meals for breakfast and lunch. I think those are harder to squeeze in some days than others! I need some ideas for breakfast especially…anyone have any good make-ahead meal ideas for breakfast? Send ‘em my way!

Happy, happy Friday to you all and happy almost-September! Once September hits you know what that means…time to have All. The. Pumpkin!

1 Liz @ The Lambent Life August 30, 2013 at 12:06 pm

These are my go-to for quick breakfasts. I make a batch on Sunday and they last a few days in the fridge. Delish! http://purelyprimal.com/2012/08/06/blueberry-lemon-muffins/
Liz @ The Lambent Life recently posted..Quitter.

2 Lily August 30, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Hey Courtney! Just wondering, are y’all planning on having him in daycare when you go back to work?

3 Courtney August 31, 2013 at 9:37 am

Yes we are. We found a sitter who does it out of her home who lives right up the road from us, so it’s nice and convenient!

4 Ashley August 30, 2013 at 12:10 pm

I love baking muffins ahead of time & freezing them for the week ahead. I usually stick with overnight oats because I’m obsessed with them. Enjoy your weekend!
Ashley recently posted..Friday Favorites- Makeup Edition

5 Natalie @ Free Range Human August 30, 2013 at 12:12 pm

I think any quick breads would be fantastic to make ahead of time and then freeze. Also, I often make a big batch of steel cut oats in the crock pot, and then reheat throughout the week.
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Just A Little Phase

6 Erika August 30, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Pancakes! I make up a big batch of pancakes almost every Sunday to keep in the freezer and eat throughout the week. Works well with waffles too.

Brittany at Healthy Slice of Life has a post on breakfast burritos for the freezer that look good but I haven’t made them yet.

7 Malisa August 30, 2013 at 12:14 pm

I like making big batches of oatmeal muffins and freezing them. You just take a few out of the freezer the night before and then heat them up for about
30 seconds the next morning. You can make a lot of different flavors!

8 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat August 30, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Oh I was so excited for Chelsey too!

I’ve been doing a few upper body workouts this week, and they definitely have left my arms super sore, but I do love the burn! :-)

Happy Labor Day weekend!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..Power Foods Friday – Tomatoes

9 allison August 30, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Quiche is a perfect make ahead for breakfast or lunch, and a great way to sneak in lots of veggies. I cut mine (or bake in muffin tins) and freeze individually, defrost overnight and microwave at meal time. Lots of protein and veggies, serve with some wheat toast.

10 Nicole August 30, 2013 at 1:45 pm

Absolutely agree with Allison! I was thinking the same thing! Mini egg cups – different flavor combinations: Denver Omelette, Asparagus & Tomato, Mix of Peppers & Onions.

Also, what about doing individual containers of overnight oats in a jar then adding blueberries or strawberries or peaches in the morning?

Have a terrific weekend!

11 Courtney August 31, 2013 at 9:35 am

They all sound like great ideas…now I just need to stop being lazy and make them ;)

12 Tiffani August 30, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Breakfast cookies have been my go-to breakfasts for the past 4 months. It’s that good, so convenient, and I don’t think i’ll get sick of them anytime soon. The ingredients are just mashed bananas, oats, applesauce, raisins, and walnuts (or whatever add-in you’d prefer!)

13 Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves August 30, 2013 at 12:45 pm

For make ahead breakfasts I love overnight oats, but if you get bored with that, Kath’s baked oatmeal is a great option! ( http://www.katheats.com/recipage?recipe_id=6000081 ) Or you can try making a big batch of French toasts and just toast ‘em up each morning.
I’m so excited for Chelsey!!
Have a great Labor Day weekend, Courtney! Glad to hear things are going well with Lucas :) And with the arm workout!
Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted..Fascinating Friday Links #2

14 Kristi August 30, 2013 at 12:59 pm

So you just gave me an idea that when a friend of mine gives birth make breakfast and lunch, rather than a dinner. Thanks!
Kristi recently posted..There Once Was a Girl

15 Olivia @healthylivy August 30, 2013 at 1:12 pm

I haven’t eaten many vegetables at all the past few days either /: We need to get on that!
Olivia @healthylivy recently posted..WIAW #2

16 Holly August 30, 2013 at 1:23 pm

I’ve been *loving* this recipe lately from Iowa Girl Eats… pop it in the microwave, add a little peanut butter on top & it has been a life saver in the mornings!

http://iowagirleats.com/recipes/?recipe_id=6051887 (I switched out the blueberries for cherries because that’s all I had on hand & it was so good!)

17 Courtney August 31, 2013 at 9:36 am

Ahh, I saw her post this and totally forgot about it! Thank youuu :)

18 Luci August 30, 2013 at 1:33 pm

I was just about to post the recipe that Holly mention! I made a batch and froze half of them. They are great to pull out of the freezer.

19 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl August 30, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Yay for Chelsey and her two precious baby girls!
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Mexican Cauliflower “Rice” with Vegan Sausage

20 Jessica @ My Tasty Theatrical Life August 30, 2013 at 1:44 pm

Egg Muffins are fantastic!!!! Also make ahead breakfast sandwichs are easy to make & freeze!!
Jessica @ My Tasty Theatrical Life recently posted..Coffee Chicken

21 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 30, 2013 at 1:58 pm

I don’t have any specific recipes for you, but I’m sure a frittata or a baked oatmeal recipe would do the job pretty well!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Five Things Friday 08/30/13.

22 Annette@FitnessPerks August 30, 2013 at 2:57 pm

That is awesome that you’re hitting the weights already. Go you!

I’d say chobani single serve cups, whole grain cereal w/milk, and baked oatmeal are all awesome for b-fast. As is Kodiak Cakes–sooo easy with that mix!

I love sandwiches–so precut turkey or cheese would make that a snap!

Have a good weekend :)
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..Friday Confessions {6}

23 Lynn August 30, 2013 at 3:00 pm

I vote for the Heath bar cookies!!

In regards to the bottle sterilization, I personally didnt do it after the initial sterilization of the pieces. I read that it’s not recommended now like it used to be, as long as you do it that first time. Ask your pediatrician what they recommend.

For breakfast, I’d recommend making a large quiche that you can chip away over the week!

24 Courtney August 31, 2013 at 9:35 am

I’ll have to check on that because I would loooooove to skip that step, haha!

25 Amanda @ .running with spoons. August 30, 2013 at 3:09 pm

EeeeEE!! I had no idea Chelsey had her girls! I’m going to have to go over and say hi :D And for make ahead breakfasts, how about baked oatmeal or some kind of breakfast cookies? You could also make a batch of waffles and freeze them.
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... monthly favorites – best of the best .

26 Courtney August 31, 2013 at 9:34 am

I’ve been wanting to try breakfast cookies for a while now…I should try to find a good recipe!

27 Shel@PeachyPalate August 30, 2013 at 3:16 pm

Make a batch of baked oats with lots of berries in, a good four portions and serve with fresh fruit and nut butter! Overnight oats, chia pudding (chia seeds and milk of choice mixed with mashed banana and topped withe fresh fruit and nut butter!) Chop veggies, cook grains, make hummus and have some canned beans, chickpeas and avocado on hand to make quick lunches! Tahini and nut butter make for a great drizzle!Roast extra veggies when making dinner to do you for a couple of days for tastier salads!
Shel@PeachyPalate recently posted..The versatile veggie

28 april August 30, 2013 at 3:19 pm

i’d suggest making overnight oats and then you can add in your toppings in the morning (banana slices or fresh strawberries maybe – any fruit really!). it’s my go-to quick and easy breakfast, plus it’s filling :)

29 Tara@PNWRunner August 30, 2013 at 5:58 pm

I need to make the heath cookies! YUMM!! Congrats to Chelsey too!
Tara@PNWRunner recently posted..September Smoothie Challenge Accepted!

30 Emily August 30, 2013 at 6:22 pm

I have to say, pancakes freeze and reheat really well, like, surprisingly so! I’ve only had the classic white flour type frozen and reheated, but they stay nice and fluffy and fresh. AllRecipes has a great recipe for them http://allrecipes.com/recipe/fluffy-pancakes-2/

31 Courtney August 31, 2013 at 9:34 am

I LOVE that pancake recipe!

32 Ellie@Fit for the soul August 30, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Oh my gosh, Chelsey gave birth?!!! Headed over there in a minute!
And the breakfast type foods that I like to make ahead of time are healthy/wholesome breads, like banana bread with chocolate avocado cream, etc. Something I can bake and slice whenever I’m craving it is good in my opinion :)
Ellie@Fit for the soul recently posted..Why I Love These Blogs

33 Angela August 30, 2013 at 6:46 pm

These mini quiches are absolutely my favorite make ahead breakfasts! Freeze ke, and so delicious. You can pack them with lots of veggies which is nice too. :) http://harrellsonhood.blogspot.com/2013/03/freezable-mini-quiches-recipe.html
Angela recently posted..on purpose & passions [Romans 12:6-8]

34 Courtney August 31, 2013 at 9:33 am

They sound great and look just like ones my friend made for me! Thank you!

35 Angela August 30, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Freezeable not freeze ke :)
Angela recently posted..on purpose & passions [Romans 12:6-8]

36 Haley @Cupcakes and Sunshine August 30, 2013 at 7:56 pm

I am SO ready for the pumpkin. Pumpkin bread, muffins, PUMPKIN SPICE LATTES, Pumpkin candles at Bath and Body works. I am way too excited.

37 Courtney August 31, 2013 at 9:33 am

WOO HOO!!

38 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More August 30, 2013 at 9:16 pm

Despite the fact that I consistently lift weights at the gym, my arms are tested everytime I’m handed a baby at work…after a few minutes my arms are already getting tired! You poor mamas, I can only imagine!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Fitness Friday

39 Marie August 30, 2013 at 10:04 pm

These are two recipes I love:

The steel cut oats take some time to make but I make a lot at once and reheat for breakfast. I also freeze muffins, pancakes, and waffles. ;)

40 Britt @ Fit Fit Britt Britt August 30, 2013 at 11:26 pm

I cannot wait: September 1st is one of my favorite days… pumpkin makes a valiant return to my life!!! :)
Britt @ Fit Fit Britt Britt recently posted..Back to School!

41 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake August 31, 2013 at 8:13 am

On Sunday’s I try to make a few batches of overnight oats to have for breakfasts!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..July 2013 Kona Kase

42 Katie @ The Almost Vegan August 31, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Overnight oats, crockpot steel cut oats, large batches of pancakes, baked oats in mason jars, or just portioning out oats in batches and grabbing them to go (just throw in hot water) – all great breakfasts.

For lunches I make huge batches of different quinoa salad combinations that can easily be switched up with a few extra ingredients. I have a ton of variations on my blog :)

Congrats on the new addition! Juggling mommyhood is a constant challenge but so amazingly worth it!
Katie @ The Almost Vegan recently posted..Vegan Vanilla Blueberry Banana Pancakes

43 Molly@This Life is Sparkling August 31, 2013 at 3:32 pm

I love overnight oats for a super quick breakfast! All it takes is literally like 3 minutes the night before. The recipe I use is 1/2 cup oats, 1-6oz container of Chobani, 1/3 cup almond milk, 1 tsp chia seeds, and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Just mix it together and in the morning and peanut butter and any fruit or toppings you’d like! They also keep me full for a long time too :)

44 Leigha @ Minougirl August 31, 2013 at 9:03 pm

You need to make this oatmeal bake! Store it in the fridge, eat a piece (or two ;) ) every morning for breakfast!

Leigha @ Minougirl recently posted..Foodie Pen Pals Reveal Day August

45 Julie September 1, 2013 at 11:14 am

I EP for my twins and I read on a breastfeeding website that you can actually store your pumping parts in the fridge in a ziplock bag between pumpings! I usually only sterilize the parts at night and it saves a ton of time with my twins!

46 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey September 1, 2013 at 3:11 pm

BEST thing i have read ALL day long!!!!c

47 Jessica September 2, 2013 at 10:44 pm

I was going to mention this too. My son never consistently took a bottle, but I tried for a long time and it was handy when we were out and about or he was alone with his daddy.

48 Jessica September 2, 2013 at 10:42 pm

I swear, I didn’t consistently eat vegetables until my son was a few months old, lol. And I was always a HUGE veggie lover. They just seemed so complicated during the early days of constant nursing and no sleep. I don’t know why!! Don’t be too hard on yourself, you are doing great!

49 Brianna K. @ Hungry Gator Gal September 6, 2013 at 9:39 pm

I like to make overnight oats, smoothies and breakfast cookie dough cereal at night so I can grab and go in the morning. You can find my favorite recipes for these meals at http://www.hungrygatorgal.com/p/recipes_287.html.

Sometimes I make overnight oats in the blender jar, stick it in the fridge and blend the ingredients into a smoothie in the morning. The smoothies taste “doughy” in a way. So good! :)
Brianna K. @ Hungry Gator Gal recently posted..Friday’s Favorite Food Finds + Making Health a Priority

50 Nala September 8, 2013 at 6:15 pm

Wow the little guy is weighing 9 Lbs. 5oz already? He’s certainly getting big!