Fabulous Flatbread Pizza & Lucas Has New Tricks

by Courtney on March 14, 2014

I was going to attempt to write up today’s post in my typical Fun Facts Friday style, but I realized that’d be a bit of a stretch so I’m just gonna go ahead and plow through as is.

Wednesday night into Thursday, we got hit with some nasty snow and ice, making for some pretty horrendous driving conditions Thursday morning. I’ve said it once, and I’ll say it again…I am SO thankful to have a job that is flexible enough to allow me to stay home on days like that! While I’m sure the roads were fine within a few hours, it was just really nice knowing that I didn’t have to risk going out there with Lucas in the car.

So I spent my Thursday at home, in my cozies, working and hanging out with this loves-to-blow-raspberries-all-day stud. Even better yet, I had managed to squeeze in a morning (yes, morning!) workout AND showered all first thing, so I had none of that jazz looming over my head (I don’t know, call me crazy, but I just always feel so much more accomplished when all of that is taken care of first thing in the day).

Lucas had a killer afternoon nap, so I was able to get a bunch of my work stuff done then, allowing us to have some extra play time throughout the rest of the day. And as it turns out, my little adventurer had some skills he was waiting to show off for me…

Yep, it’s official. We have a crawler on our hands! (and he would only crawl for carrots…smart boy). He’s been working super hard at it for a couple of weeks now, but today was the first time he legit crawled forward more than two steps…err, crawls?

As he made his way from one side of the living room to the other, I just watched in amazement thinking, really? We’ve already made it to this point?! And then I proceeded to look around the living room some more and realized, oh good God, do I have a lot of childproofing to do. Like, a LOT.

But anywho! Jay arrived home from work at his usual time, so while the boys had their “boy” time, I got to work on making us some dinner…which, honestly, I’d been excited about all week. Pizzaaaaaahhhhh.

flatbread pizza

I was recently given the opportunity to try out these new Jimmy Dean Sausage Crumbles, which come in regular, turkey, and hot & spicy. I opted for the turkey, since their nutritional value was far better than the original, and immediately knew how I first wanted to try them.

jimmy dean turkey sausage crumbles

To be honest, I’m sort of hit or miss when it comes to sausage. The idea of the big sausage links that are used like with sausage and peppers are a big ol’ nasty for me. I don’t really know why, since I like chicken sausage which is a similar texture/size, I guess. But crumbled sausage? Oh mannnn, I love it. Especially on pizza. So that’s exactly what I needed to do.

I came across these thin crust flatbreads from Flatout while grocery shopping on Sunday and picked them up with full intentions of making my pizzas.

flatout flatbreads

When it came time to assembling, it honestly could not have gotten much easier.

jimmy dean turkey sausage crumbles

I cooked the “naked” flatbreads for about 5 minutes to crisp them up. Then I topped them with some pizza sauce, the sausage crumbles, some pizza blend shredded cheese, and leftover sautéed peppers and onions from Wednesday night’s dinner (we had tacos, in case you’re curious).

tacos

Then I simply popped the pizzas back in the oven for another five or so minutes until the cheese was melted…and that’s it. Delicious flatbread pizza in less than 15 minutes.

jimmy dean turkey sausage crumbles

Yes, I was given coupons to try the sausage crumbles for free, but I’ve got to tell you…these things were really, really delicious! They had a great flavor to them, which was just enough for these simple pizzas. And because they’re already fully cooked, it takes literally no effort at all. I can’t wait to make some more of these and then even try them in a breakfast egg scramble. YUM.

(*I had a bit of a hard time finding them at first, so for the locals, I was able to spot them in the refrigerated meat section at Hannaford – it’s the only place I could find ‘em!)

So hey, HAPPY FRIDAY you guys! Anyone have any fun plans this weekend? I’m excited for our breakfast club at work this morning, a lunch date with my dad this afternoon, probably a low key (and early) night at home tonight, out for a (baby-less) birthday party for our friend Joey on Saturday night, and dinner at my in-laws’ on Sunday. Whew!

Have a great day and a fabulous weekend, friends! xoxo

#spon: I’m required to disclose a relationship between our site and Jimmy Dean. This could include Jimmy Dean providing us w/content, product, access or other forms of payment.

1 Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine March 14, 2014 at 6:27 am

Haha, that is adorable! He is one smart boy, carrots rock! You’ve got a healthy eater on your hands ;)

2 Tiff March 14, 2014 at 6:27 am

Way to go Lucas! And way to go mama with your workout! Ethan just slept through the night for the first time last night, so it’s a very happy Friday here. :)
Tiff recently posted..On a Roll

3 Linz @ Itz Linz March 14, 2014 at 6:31 am

yum! gotta love homemade pizza… no matter how homemade it is haha and assembling the pizza definitely counts as homemade! this weekend we are meeting baby itz’s pediatrician which we are stoked about!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..five things friday

4 Kim @FITsique March 14, 2014 at 6:36 am

What a healthy little guy!! I have an obsession with making mini pizzas on flatbreads, the sausage looks like an excellent addition. I have taken flat breads cut in half and layed them over the wires in the oven rack for like 3-5 minutes and made them into legit taco shells! They are great for everything!
Kim @FITsique recently posted..Why Your Goals Fail – And How To Set Ones That Won’t

5 Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl March 14, 2014 at 7:56 am

Way to go Lucas!!! The flatbread pizzas look delish! I’ve been wanting to try those flatout pizza breads and what a great use of the crumbled sausage. I need to try those asap. Have a great weekend!
Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted..Heart Healthy Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Banana Waffles

6 Chrissy @pinkpolishandrunningshoes March 14, 2014 at 8:21 am

What a great idea for a quick dinner! Looks easy enough for a weekday too.

7 Jess @dearhealthyness March 14, 2014 at 8:58 am

Awww Lucas looks so cuteeee crawling for carrots! Healthy smart little guy :D Have a nice weekend!
Jess @dearhealthyness recently posted..Friday Favorites: Staples in my Kitchen

8 Chelsea @ A Fit LittleOne March 14, 2014 at 9:03 am

Aw I can’t believe he is crawling already! It really feels like just yesterday you were announcing that you had him! And it seems like you have a lot of fun things going on this weekend!! Enjoy your weekend :)
Chelsea @ A Fit LittleOne recently posted..Who Motivates You?

9 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun March 14, 2014 at 9:18 am

Go Lucas!!!

That pizza does look amazing! I made a flatbread chicken pizza last night, I was craving pizza so I just made it a big healthier!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..6 Movies to Motivate and Inspire Every Runner

10 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles March 14, 2014 at 9:22 am

haha I love that he crawls for carrots – clearly, he has his priorities ;-) Have a great weekend!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Five Things Friday 03/14/14.

11 Ali March 14, 2014 at 9:25 am

Those pizzas look good. It’s always nice when dinner comes together really easy and it’s yummy!

12 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries March 14, 2014 at 9:39 am

Yay Lucas! What a huge milestone! I’m guessing that’s why he wasn’t sleeping so great there for awhile, by the way. I always notice that Hunter doesn’t sleep/nap as well right before he learns something new. The phase right before he started crawling was the worst! And I know what you mean about the baby proofing… My eyes were opened when he started getting into stuff. I THOUGHT I had my bases covered, but nope, he found MORE! Ha!

Mmmm those pizzas sound great! I’m with you on the sausage thing… The big ol’ sausage links aren’t my favorite, but I do like sausage crumbles on my pizza. I’ll have to look for this Jimmy Dean brand!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..Bits & Pieces of Ashley: My Morning Routine

13 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat March 14, 2014 at 9:47 am

Awww…way to go Lucas!

Mmmm…pizza! I love anything to do with pizza, so this is totally up my alley! I haven’t seen those sausage crumbles or those flatbreads in the store, but I’m definitely going to keep my eye out for them.
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..A Brief Break

14 Stacie @ SimplySouthernStacie March 14, 2014 at 10:07 am

Look at Lucas go! You already have a healthy eater on your hands!
Stacie @ SimplySouthernStacie recently posted..March Stitch Fix Review

15 Heather March 14, 2014 at 10:47 am

We love those sausage crumbles. I make my own breakfast bowls with them or mix them in with scrambled eggs. I will have to try them on pizza. Yum!
Heather recently posted..Embarrasment

16 Haley @Cupcakes and Sunshine March 14, 2014 at 11:07 am

YUM! This pizza looks fantastic! I can NOT wait to try it out!

17 Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog March 14, 2014 at 11:11 am

Oh, how exciting that Lucas is crawling! Not going to lie, babyproofing would stress me out too..

My friend has two little boys and I seriously cringe every time they move, thinking they’re going to get hurt. Half the time they do, but it’s always ok. I am going to be one worrying mom!

I’m with you on the sausage thing, and I too love chicken sausage. I’d definitely try these crumbles on some pizza though – and I recently bought those wraps, so perhaps I will :-) Happy Friday!
Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blog recently posted..Pistachio Lucky Charm Cupcakes + Skinny Shamrock Shakes + a Jumpin’ Leprechaun

18 Nicole March 14, 2014 at 12:15 pm

Sounds like you have a fun weekend ahead!!

Tonight, I’m going on a Beer tasting tour with the boyfriend. Tomorrow is my brother’s birthday, and Sunday, going to brunch with friends. Woohoo! Oh yeah – and an early St. Patty’s PotLUCK today at work. :D

Enjoy your little crawler!

19 Lauren @ Focused To Be Fit March 14, 2014 at 2:40 pm

I love making pizzas on those Flatouts and with that sausage, yummmm!
Lauren @ Focused To Be Fit recently posted..How The Week Went Down

20 Ellie@Fit for the soul March 14, 2014 at 3:09 pm

Lucas is crawling like a champ!!!! :D And smart boy–he must know his mom is a lover of healthy food, hah!
Ellie@Fit for the soul recently posted..Scenes from Manhattan Beach

21 Shel@PeachyPalate March 14, 2014 at 4:27 pm

Yummy looking pizzas! Flatbreads really do make homemade pizza nights happen so much more often!! Have a great weekend!!!
Shel@PeachyPalate recently posted..Mighty mug cake

22 Brittany (Healthy Slice of Life) March 14, 2014 at 5:43 pm

Aw, a crawler already, WOW! That’s so exciting! Go Lucas!
PS- adorable ;)
Brittany (Healthy Slice of Life) recently posted..{Recipe} Pancake Muffins for Kids!

23 Lauren @ The Bikini Experiment March 14, 2014 at 6:35 pm

So cute! I can’t believe he is crawling already. Love homemade pizza!
Lauren @ The Bikini Experiment recently posted..3/14: Friday’s Favorite Things

24 Nancy March 14, 2014 at 9:37 pm

That is some major thin crust pizza …ie, my kinda pizza. Heck yeah Courtney.

Also – holy moses, he’s CRAWLING!!!

25 Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt March 14, 2014 at 9:51 pm

I love Flat out bread, and not just cause its made here in my wonderful state of Michigan! Gonna try that pizza, looks so good. Your little man is getting so big, what a little cutie pie he is.
Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt recently posted..I Love to Pack, I Love to Travel

26 Sarah @ Sweet Miles March 17, 2014 at 9:33 am

We love flatout bread!! I’m craving pizza now! And oh my stars, Lucas is a DOLL!!!
Sarah @ Sweet Miles recently posted..Birthday Festivities