Our New Dinner Game

by Courtney on May 15, 2014

Soooo, today is the day. Race day.

I am so unprepared, it’s not even funny. Although I did do 15 minutes of abs yesterday so I suppose that means I’m ready. Sort of. Or, not really at all. Wish me all sorts of luck today, you guys. I’m gonna need it.

In other news, Lucas has a new game he likes to play at dinner. It’s called “flick and throw everything off of my tray table.”

Oh yes, it’s fantaaaaastic.

He, however, thinks it’s the greatest thing on the planet.

Hey, whatever makes ya happy, Bud. Winking smile

In between attempting to feed the little man and picking up pasta, potatoes, and blueberries off the floor (we’re sticking with mostly starchy foods right now…poor guy has a case of the runs and not much of an appetite), Jay and I managed to sit down to a real dinner.

slow cooker pepper steak

With wine. Yessss.

Don’t let the glass fool you…I’d already been working on that for a while.

Last night, Jay prepared this recipe for Slow Cooker Pepper Steak and we served it on top of some brown rice. The steak was suuuuper tender and delicious, but I think next time we’d omit the salt. It was plenty salty with the soy sauce.

slow cooker pepper steak

To go with our steak, we had grilled asparagus…which I’m pretty sure is now one of my favorite things ever.

grilled asparagus

In case you’re curious, we drizzle them with a little EVOO, balsamic vinegar, garlic powder, and sea salt and grill on medium to medium-high for about 7-10 minutes. Easy peasy, totally delicious.

Alright guys, it’s still Wednesday night as I’m typing this and it’s about time for me to sit back and do nothing but watch some season finales of my favorite shows (I’m hoping I can stay up long enough for Nashville…gahhh, it looks like it’s gonna be good!).

1 Runner Girl Eats May 15, 2014 at 6:14 am

Good luck today!! You will be great :)
Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Woman has legs

2 Lauren @ Confessions of a First Time Mom May 15, 2014 at 6:50 am

What a cute video! The food throwing is pretty adorable at first, right? Let’s hope it’s a short lived phase for you, because my daughter did it from about 10 months until about 18 months or so! It got progressively more and more frustrating and now we don’t even bother with a high chair. She eats dinner at her little table and chairs set or on the floor.
Lauren @ Confessions of a First Time Mom recently posted..I Take My Fertility For Granted

3 Brynn May 15, 2014 at 6:52 am

I am cracking up, what a great post . You are so funny with the wine and. “Whatever makes you happy, Bud.” But in all seriousness, good luck with the race! Just have fun and enjoy it, you’ll be great.
Brynn recently posted..Sometimes…

4 Stacie @ SimplySouthernStacie May 15, 2014 at 7:15 am

Nashville was soooo good! Definitely not as over the top as last year’s season finale. You’ll love it!

5 Lauren May 15, 2014 at 7:16 am

Good luck on your race sweetie! I know you’ll do amazing!

6 Heather @fitncookies May 15, 2014 at 7:36 am

You’ll do great today! Good luck!
Heather @fitncookies recently posted..Something about the smell

7 Linz @ Itz Linz May 15, 2014 at 7:36 am

Good luck! I want to grill (well I want Jonny to grill lol) it dropped to the 40s yesterday! What happened to spring?!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..newborn baby photos

8 Katie@LifesNextBigStep May 15, 2014 at 7:52 am

You’re going to surprise yourself with how well you do today! Stay positive and just put one foot in front of the other one :)
Katie@LifesNextBigStep recently posted..Clean Eating Challenge and weekend happenings

9 Tiff @ Love Sweat & Beers May 15, 2014 at 8:00 am

I hope you have fun racing! BTW, dinner looks great. :)
Tiff @ Love Sweat & Beers recently posted..Cheesey Chicken Meatballs

10 Stacey M. May 15, 2014 at 8:03 am

I know probably everyone will tell you this today, but don’t worry so much about being “great” at the race today. Just go out there and have fun! You’ll probably surprise yourself in the end :)

11 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun May 15, 2014 at 8:04 am

Good luck!! You are going to do awesome!
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

12 Danielle May 15, 2014 at 8:29 am

How sweet! Good luck on your race I’m sure you’ll do great!
Danielle recently posted..Lemon Raspberry Cheesecake Squares

13 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles May 15, 2014 at 8:47 am

Good luck today!!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Lemon and Dill Pasta with Shrimp.

14 Libby May 15, 2014 at 8:58 am

Have fun today! You’ll do great! :-)

15 Natalie @ The Ravenous Mommy May 15, 2014 at 8:59 am

My son is 13 months old and has been doing that too! Every single meal is a mess, UGH.
Natalie @ The Ravenous Mommy recently posted..Marvelous Mother’s Day

16 Ali May 15, 2014 at 9:15 am

That game is really fun – especially when there is a dog involved also. We’ve been playing it for months and months, but it is getting better at 14 months.

17 Paige @ Your Trainer Paige May 15, 2014 at 9:18 am

Oooh that boy! Too cute to be mad at ;)
And your dinner sounds delicious!
Paige @ Your Trainer Paige recently posted..At Home & Travel-Friendly Total Body Resistance Band Workout

18 Britt@MyOwnBalance May 15, 2014 at 9:20 am

Good luck with your race! I’m sure you’ll do better than you think you are going to do! Lucas is so adorable!

19 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries May 15, 2014 at 9:32 am

Hahaha. Have Hunter and Lucas been in communication lately? ;) Hunter enjoys that game too. Little stinker.

Your dinner looks delicious! I’m especially eyeing that grilled asparagus – LOVE grilled asparagus!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..Weaning From Breastfeeding

20 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries May 15, 2014 at 9:35 am

P.S. Also forgot to say, good luck today! You’ll rock it! Just have fun! ;)
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..Weaning From Breastfeeding

21 Kris May 15, 2014 at 9:33 am

EVOO and Lawry’s is great also on asparagus. I will only eat it grilled now. Made any other way is not even worth having.

22 Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat May 15, 2014 at 10:30 am

hehe…oh my, that’s quite a messy game Lucas has got going there! Lots of clean-up!

Good luck at the race today! You’ll do awesome!
Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted..Totally Random Bits of Info #15

23 Shel@PeachyPalate May 15, 2014 at 10:52 am

They all go through that phase! Best to not make a deal of it or they’ll do it to amuse you! :) Bananas would help bind him up too at the moment! :)

24 Laura May 15, 2014 at 11:09 am

Next time try the asparagus with garlic salt & lemon pepper… soooo good!

25 Nicole May 15, 2014 at 11:33 am

The pepper steak looks delish!

Good luck with your race today!! It doesn’t matter how you finish….you’re awesome for participating!! :)

26 Polly @ Tasty Food Project May 15, 2014 at 2:09 pm

I hope your race went well! Can’t wait to hear more about it!
Polly @ Tasty Food Project recently posted..iPhone Photo Gallery

27 ellie @ fit for the soul May 15, 2014 at 8:59 pm

Ahhh, what a cutiepieeee! Hahahaha my girl Selah has this tendency to do the “windshield wiper”. It’s horrendous but so funny! And I saw your IG, good job on surviving! Hehe.
ellie @ fit for the soul recently posted..Ultimate Ab & Fat Burner with “Valslides” or Socks {Vlog}

28 Kim@ FITsique May 15, 2014 at 9:10 pm

Good luck in your race! I am sure you will do just fine and end up LOVING it :) I love me some grilled asparagus…looks so nice and summery.
Kim@ FITsique recently posted..How To Fit Flexible Dieting Into Your Life

29 Andrea @ pencils and pancakes May 16, 2014 at 7:00 am

Ha I actually ended up doing the workforce challenge yesterday while here on business. Some friends peer pressured me, it wasn’t too bad! And I went to one of the restaurants you recommended thanks a lot!!!!!
Andrea @ pencils and pancakes recently posted..Curried Cauliflower “Dirty” Rice