Holy Moly Healthier Guacamole

by Courtney on September 3, 2010

Alright, who doesn’t like guacamole?

Well, if you had asked me about a year ago, I would have said, “Umm, ME, I don’t like guacamole.”

Boy how things can change after a year. ;)

But better yet, who doesn’t like some HEALTHIFIED guacamole?!?

That’s what I thought! Keep reading…

First, you mash up a can of early peas. Yup, that’s right, peas! Don’t they look tasty?? :shock:

Next, mash up 1/2 cup worth of avocado. This baby gave me the perfect amount.

Then, add in some chopped onion, plain fat-free Greek yogurt, & chopped grape tomatoes.

Followed by your seasonings.

And you’ve got yourself one heck of a bowl of guacamole my friends!!

Healthier Guacamole

Original recipe from the Hungry Girl 200 Under 200 Calorie Cookbook

• One 15 oz. can early (young) peas, drained
  • 1/2 cup mashed avocado (about 1 medium-small avocado’s worth)
  • 1/3 cup chopped cherry or grape tomatoes
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 1/4 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt
  • 4 tsp lime juice
  • 1/2 tsp chopped garlic
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp black pepper
  • 1/8 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/8 tsp chili powder
  • Additional salt & black pepper, to taste

Optional: chopped fresh cilantro, chopped jarred jalapenos

Directions:

1. Place peas in a medium bowl and mash thoroughly with a potato masher or fork.
  2. Add avocado, yogurt, lime juice, garlic, and seasonings. Continue to mash until blended.
  3. Stir in tomatoes, onion, and, if you like, some cilantro and/or jalapenos. Season to taste with salt and pepper. ENJOY! :)

I made this guac for a tonight’s taco dinner that we’re having with our friends Joe & Kate. I’ll fill ya’ll in on the rest of the dinner tomorrow! Hope you have a great Friday night!!

Question for the Night:

Guacamole: Love it or hate it?

1 erica September 3, 2010 at 7:22 pm

i would never have thought to mash up peas into guacamole! great idea :)

2 vitaminamy September 3, 2010 at 7:31 pm

Love love love guacamole!! :)

3 Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice September 3, 2010 at 7:32 pm

How could you not love guacamole?!? Even the bad ones are good :)

4 suki @ [Super Duper Fantastic] September 3, 2010 at 7:37 pm

I love guac, but I’m not sure how I feel about peas. :) Interesting though!

5 Jessica@tastyandtrim September 3, 2010 at 9:48 pm

I love guacamole but I’m not a huge fan of plain avocado. That recipe looks amazing though. I have to try it!

6 Lauren September 3, 2010 at 10:39 pm

This is an awesome idea! Maybe now I won’t feel bad inhaling a whole bowl of guac solo! Thanks for sharing the healthiness!

7 Tehsina September 4, 2010 at 12:38 am

Wow that guac looks delish!

8 Judy September 4, 2010 at 6:44 am

Are u kidding? Love avocados in anything!

9 Chicago Cuisine Critique September 4, 2010 at 9:52 am

I love guacamole!

10 Kerry September 4, 2010 at 11:04 am

that’s such a good recipe! Doesn’t look to good, but when do guacamole ever look good?! ha!

11 Amanda September 14, 2010 at 1:00 am

That looks good! Do the peas change the flavour much? Or is it still avocado-y?

12 Courtney September 14, 2010 at 7:48 am

You can’t even tell there’s peas in it…it’s phenomenal!