Fluffy Pancakes For Birthday Week

by Courtney on January 25, 2011

I don’t know what it is, but I am in a really good mood this evening! How ya’ll doin out there??

Thanks to everyone for sharing your favorite pancake recipes earlier. It’s safe to say that I had pancakes on the brain pretty much alllll day.

But FIRST, I had to get through lunch…

and a veggie-packed one at that! Smile

Since I knew tonight’s dinner was going to have little, if any veggies, I made sure to get in a whole slew of them this afternoon. Last night I prepped a fresh, chopped salad, mixed with the following:

I was planning on having some Kashi crackers and an apple on the side, but I actually saved those in favor of a homemade chocolate chip cookie baked by one of my co-workers. She makes phenomenal cookies!

Jay and I were both hungry for dinner fairly early, so we got crackin’ rather quickly!

I must say, I checked out each and every one of the pancake recipes you all sent my way and they ALL sounded incredible. But for tonight, Jay and I were in the mood for something simple, so I went with Emily’s recommendation for Good Old-Fashioned Pancakes.

As usual, I made a few changes to the original recipe, in addition to adding the recommended vanilla, as per Emily’s instructions. Winking smile

I was so impressed by just how light and fluffy these babies were! I definitely agree that sifting the flour makes a big difference in the “fluff ratio.” Winking smile Thanks, Emily!!

I added blueberries to about half of the pancake batter, and those were by far my favorite out of the bunch.

On the side, I had somewhere between 1/4 – 1/2 cup Egg Beaters (whatever was left in the carton), which hubby prepared, also mixing in some fresh chives. YUM! And of course, a little ketchup to go on top.

Along with my eggs, I housed four pancakes, drizzled with some light maple syrup, and I enjoyed every.last.bite!

It’s okay though, because I’m celebrating Birthday Week this week, and I’m allowed.

Right?

And yes, I do celebrate Birthday Week. My family thinks I’m nuts. I don’t care. Do you think I’m nuts? Rolling on the floor laughing

Only 5 more days til the Big Birthday!!!

So believe it or not, we actually ate dinner AND finished the dishes all before 6:00. That’s practically unheard of in this house. Disappointed smile But I guess you could say that cleanup was a little easier tonight…

since I have a KITCHEN SINK!

With running water!

AND a dishwasher!

Yes, I finally have a fully-functional kitchen. Who would have thought?!?

No WONDER I’m in such a good mood today! Open-mouthed smile

I’m so excited to give you all the “Big Reveal,” but I’m waiting until all the finishing touches are complete. Hopefully by this weekend!

Question for the Evening:

Do you find that you give yourself excuses to indulge more for “special occasions?” (i.e., “It’s Friday” or “Birthday Week”…) Winking smile

1 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) January 25, 2011 at 7:24 pm

I totally allow myself to indulge for bigger occasions. I’ll actually plan it out though, making adjustments in my diet in anticipation (i.e., salad for lunch to save carbs for a big dinner). Looks like you did the same. ;)
Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) recently posted..Carrot Cake &amp Spiced Honey Cream Cheese Icing

2 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles January 25, 2011 at 7:33 pm

I love your faucet – it’s pretty! :)

3 blog is the new black January 25, 2011 at 7:35 pm

I def use my birthday week to splurge! I usually indulge in a Sephora shopping spree during my bday week! :)

4 ashley@quasichick January 25, 2011 at 7:37 pm

I celebrate Bday week too :) My family thinks I am nuts too :)

5 Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl January 25, 2011 at 7:39 pm

We celebrate birthday week in our house because my bday, the hubby’s, my mother-in-law’s, and my brother-in-law’s all fall on the same week. I kinda throw my hands up in the air that week, kick back, and enjoy :)
Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl recently posted..Journey to Happiness

6 Faith @ lovelyascharged January 25, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Yep, Im definitely the queen of making up reasons to celebrate, be it with pancakes, wine, etc… :)
Faith @ lovelyascharged recently posted..Spicy Quinoa Stew

7 Katy (The Singing Runner) January 25, 2011 at 8:29 pm

Those pancakes look divine! Wish I could make them, but whenever I make pancakes, they flop. :( Haha!!!

8 Jennie @ Designed to be Fit January 25, 2011 at 8:36 pm

The day ends in Y!
Jennie @ Designed to be Fit recently posted..Want to blog better in 2011 We’re here to help

9 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries January 25, 2011 at 9:02 pm

I absolutely celebrate Birthday Week! :D
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..Are You There- Summer It’s Me- Colleen

10 Emily January 25, 2011 at 9:07 pm

sooooo glad you liked the pancake recipe :)

AND OH MY GOSH I WANT YOUR KITCHEN! it is turning out AMAZING… and having a sink will definitely be a major plus now, lol

and you are completely allowed to celebrate birthday week, it is all about food and fun :D
Emily recently posted..A Quick Update

11 Stephanie @cookinfanatic January 25, 2011 at 9:49 pm

I’m definitely with ya on the birthday week! My bday is tomorrow – yay for January birthdays :) There seem to be alot out there!

Great pancake dinner, love the blueberries folded into the pancakes.
Stephanie @cookinfanatic recently posted..1 of 2011

12 Autumn @ Good Eats Girl January 25, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Yay for a complete kitchen! Very exciting!!

And I love breakfast for dinner! YUM!
Autumn @ Good Eats Girl recently posted..Should have added more jalapenos…

13 Jessica Lee January 25, 2011 at 9:57 pm

i could eat pancakes and eggs for EVERY meal.
Jessica Lee recently posted..good intentions

14 Courtney January 25, 2011 at 10:03 pm

YES, me too!

15 Lauren @ Hungry Dancer January 25, 2011 at 11:41 pm

I’m glad you have a kitchen!!! Can’t wait to see the before and after pictures!! Yes on birthday’s and special occasion I lead myself to believe it’s ok to indulge!!
Lauren @ Hungry Dancer recently posted..No Strings Attached

16 Stefanie @TheNewHealthy January 26, 2011 at 1:29 am

I definitely indulge more for special occasions–but that’s because it’s a special occasion! <–see? ;)

17 Lisa @ Healthy Diaries January 26, 2011 at 8:58 am

Yay! You have a sink now! That’s awesome, I bet you’re so happy :)
Lisa @ Healthy Diaries recently posted..Sometimes You Just Need to Push Yourself

18 Holly January 26, 2011 at 10:20 am

Those pancakes look so good, sometimes just the ‘simple’ pancake recipes are best :)
That kitchen looks AWESOME!! I cannot wait for the final reveal!
Holly recently posted..Cheesy Pierogie Casserole

19 Kelly January 26, 2011 at 10:24 am

Wait, 4 pancakes isn’t normal? ;)

20 Courtney January 26, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Hahaha…well, for ME it is. You too? ;)

21 Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) January 26, 2011 at 11:22 am

ahahah i def come up with ridiculous excuses to indulge!… yay for your kitchen- looks great!
Carrie (Moves ‘N Munchies) recently posted..The Big Carb Debate…

22 Jackie (SeeJacRun) January 26, 2011 at 11:54 am

I celebrate my Birthday Week too! :) My family definitely thinks I am a weird one, so happy to hear that other people also do the same :) Those pancakes look really good- can’t wait to try them!!!!!
Jackie (SeeJacRun) recently posted..Have you heard about Betty

23 Jess@atasteofconfidence January 26, 2011 at 12:04 pm

I love blueberries in my pancakes:)
I tend to indulge on my birthday, and sometimes on Friday or Saturday.
Jess@atasteofconfidence recently posted..Tag! You’re It

24 Alyssa Kuminski January 26, 2011 at 2:33 pm

I always have a birthday week :) Don’t forget about the half birthday too!

I usually indulge on Sundays – Your kitchen is looking awesome! I bet it feels good to have things back in order.
Alyssa Kuminski recently posted..Operation NICE

25 Alyssa Kuminski January 26, 2011 at 2:34 pm

whoa not sure how i forgot to comment on the blueberries…but those look SO delicious and since I just got a pint of blueberries on sale for 99 cents I might have to make those :)
Alyssa Kuminski recently posted..Operation NICE

26 Malika January 26, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Courtney I’m not sure whether you know her or not but you should definitely check out this CAKE BATTER pancake recipe! I tried it last night… Oh my god.. http://www.howsweeteats.com/2011/01/25/cake-batter-pancakes/

27 Courtney January 26, 2011 at 8:49 pm

YES, I did see them! Hoping to make them this weekend. :)

28 Malika January 26, 2011 at 11:01 pm

Oh yay! I’m sure you’ll LOVE THEM! Can’t wait to see how they turn out! Happy early birthday btw!

29 CaSaundra January 30, 2011 at 9:05 am

I love breakfast for dinner..it always hits the spot!

30 Madeline Duran December 14, 2011 at 7:26 am

Yay for a complete kitchen! Haha!!!
Madeline Duran recently posted..Gout Tips

31 Annie October 28, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Had saved your recipe and just made these pancakes along with pear and chocolate chips added to the batter. The recipe is a keeper, I’d never eaten pancakes so fluffy!