White Chicken Enchiladas

by Courtney on February 20, 2011

Hey hey! How’s everyone’s Sunday been treating them??

Well, mine has been great! After indulging in a couple delicious Cinnamon Chip Scones this morning and afternoon,

I made sure to squeeze in a little workout. I ended up deciding on my 30 Minute Speedy Interval Run, which always kicks my butt. Winking smile

Next, it was time for Jay and I to take care of one of our least favorite tasks

Returning cans & bottles. BLECH!

Does anyone else hate doing this as much as we do??

Believe it or not, these bags are full of cans and bottles that can date back to as far as our “1st Annual Horan Summer Party.” Yes, I know that was almost 7 months ago…

Clearly, we’ve been avoiding it like the plague. Disappointed smile

Luckily, there was only one casualty that occurred. Darn that extra 5 cents!

But check out those receipts! We got back $18.15 in returns…and were both impressed and a little embarrassed at the same time.

$9.55 in cans alone…but I promise, there were a lot of soda cans in there, too! Winking smile

While we were out, I also had to make a quick trip into Sephora

IMG_0509IMG_0510

Because a few of you convinced me to splurge on the NARS Laguna bronzer! I must say, I am already in LOVE with this stuff. It goes on soooo smoothly! Thanks so much for the recommendations! Smile

************************

For dinner, Jay and I ended up having some grilled chicken salads, but I didn’t bother taking any photos of them because I really want to share last night’s dinner with you all!

We had our good friends, Joe & Kate, over for dinner and a movie and I made a really fantastic dish for us all: White Chicken Enchiladas.

To go with our enchiladas, Kate brought over a nice salad to share, and everything was indeed, delicious!

The recipe for the enchiladas came out of my Taste of Home Everyday Light Meals cookbook, and it is definitely going to remain in my recipe queue.

It’s not only fairly easy to make, but can easily be made ahead and just popped into the oven for when you’re ready!

The creamy mixture looks so incredibly sinful, but it’s actually low in both fat and calories (not to mention, MUCH better for you than a similar recipe from a Mexican restaurant would be).

They’re pretty filling, so I actually still have one of mine leftover to enjoy during the week. Smile

***********************

So do you guys remember that amazing chocolate caramel apple that Jay and I bought last weekend for Valentine’s Day?

Well did I mention to you guys that the apples were going for $7.00 for one, but on sale 2 for $10.00?

Well, hey, who am I to pass up a deal like that, right?!? Winking smile

I’m so excited to go cut into this guy right now! Definitely the perfect ending to a Sunday evening if you ask me. Open-mouthed smile

Question for the Evening:

What were some highlights of YOUR weekend?

1 Jess@atasteofconfidence February 20, 2011 at 7:21 pm

money from can returns is the best!
    highlights of my weekend were a get together/ party with friends and going home with my boyfriend:)
    Jess@atasteofconfidence recently posted..Flashback Friday

2 Sana February 20, 2011 at 7:28 pm

The ex once bought my a candy apple and I did not think to cut it open, so I just stuck my mouth in.
    And I got chocolate all over my face. LOL

3 fsugirl! February 20, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Mmmmm, I want that caramel apple!! There’s no where around here for me to recycle cans/bottles. :( I love Nars blush- the best! :D have a great week off, lucky girl!

4 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles February 20, 2011 at 7:39 pm

That enchilada recipe looks great – I like how it’s a lighter version.

I had a great weekend. My husband and I went on a little road trip to an adorable coastal town out here in California. It was a lot of fun, and now we’re just taking it easy. Love lazy Sundays!

5 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries February 20, 2011 at 8:36 pm

I love everything and anything that has to do with Mexican food, so I’ve already added this recipe to my “Make ASAP” list :) I hadn’t seen my fiance in a week, so it was definitely a highlight to see him this evening!

6 alyssa - fashion fitness foodie February 20, 2011 at 8:52 pm

I love enchiladas!! I usually make them on my meatless mondays – but i’ve never used a white sauce. I’ll have to try it out!
    The caramel apple looks AMAZING.
    The highlight of my evening was making myself some homemade pizza :)
    alyssa – fashion fitness foodie recently posted..I feel pretty and witty and bright

7 Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl February 20, 2011 at 9:22 pm

I wish we got money back for cans and bottles in Indiana – instead, we have to PAY to recycle. Craziness!

Those enchiladas look amazing!
    Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl recently posted..Priorities

8 Courtney February 20, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Really?!?!? You have to pay???

9 Melissa February 20, 2011 at 9:25 pm

I have major food envy right now. Everything you’ve posted today looks incredible!

The highlights of my weekend were a mini road trip to visit a friend and some new nude pumps! :D
    Melissa recently posted..I Heart Charlottesville

10 Stacie February 21, 2011 at 7:07 am

Wow- those enchiladas! Yum!

My highlight was attending a friend’s wedding. Who doesn’t love going to a wedding?
    Stacie recently posted..I am still alive!

11 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine February 21, 2011 at 8:02 am

I have to say that I’ve never tried returning cans and bottles…I don’t even know where you go to do that!! I always get sad when I see homeless people scrounging in the trash for bottles to return :(

Highlight of my weekend was spending time at home in PA with my family!
    Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..The Alphabet of Gabriela

12 CaSaundra February 21, 2011 at 8:30 am

Hey, at least you can get money back on the cans and bottles–that makes it worth the hassle. And don’t you just love those enchiladas? I made them last year for the Super Bowl and they were a hit!

13 Thetreadmilldiaries February 21, 2011 at 9:18 am

Mmm…the enchiladas look delicious.
    Thetreadmilldiaries recently posted..I’m not MIA…I’m Just…

14 Courtney February 21, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Di! You’re back!! I’ve missed you. :)

15 Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) February 21, 2011 at 9:27 am

AHH im so jealous of your enchiladas.. those definitely look like the best ive ever seen!

highlight for me was baking!
    Carrie (Moves ‘N Munchies) recently posted..The Big Carb Debate…

16 Nat February 21, 2011 at 10:02 am

I don’t love returning bottles and cans… but I love getting the money back! :)

17 Courtney February 21, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Agreed!

18 McKenzie T February 28, 2011 at 5:15 pm

I made these enchiladas this weekend and they were a huge success!! I made a slightly bigger batch because there were 4 of us eating them (and I was hoping for leftovers) but every last one got eaten. My husband and I already plan to remake them later this week!!

19 Courtney February 28, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Awww YAY! I’m so glad they were a hit! :)