Baby Proof

by Courtney on March 21, 2011

You guys never cease to amaze me. Honestly!

Thank you all for your incredibly kind and supportive words regarding my “Debbie Downer” situation. You’ve just further proven my point as to just how incredible the blogging community can be. I’m already feeling more positive about things and am excited to see what’s to come! Some of you made some very interesting and intriguing suggestions that I will certainly be keeping in the back of my head for the future…

But for now, let’s talk about the present…starting with today’s lunch.

Check out that rainbow of colors!

For a little sweetness, I enjoyed a lemon Chobani mixed with blueberries and more chia seeds (loving this combo, especially with the chia seeds!).

And for my savory? A nice, colorful strip of veggies.

Yes, I know, I added carrots. I’ve been gradually adding them back into my diet here and there and really haven’t noticed any negative side effects. I’m planning on continuing to enjoy them sparingly, rather than to the point where my skin turns orange from beta carotene. Because yes, it has happened. I love my carrots. Smile

Since I usually like a little dippage with my veggies, I traded out my usual hommus for this Otria Spinach Artichoke Greek Yogurt Veggie Dip. I nabbed this baby at the grocery store last week for only .99¢ and I am totally pumped about this purchase.

It’s AWESOME! Smile

**************

Dinner

I really contemplated just sticking a spoon into the peanut butter jar a few dozen times and calling it a night. Yup, it was one of those nights. So you should be impressed to see I actually worked up the effort to put together a full meal. Winking smile

I started off with a side of some last-minute garlic toast. This stuff is seriously da bomb. Yes, I said it…da bomb. Smile

Then I cooked up some of my gluten-free pasta and topped it with marinara sauce and some roasted zucchini and yellow squash.

Carb-a-licious & super delicious!

The sauce that Jay and I have been hooked on lately (that is, if it’s not my homemade sauce) is this Grandpa Pete’s Sunday Sauce.

The flavor of this sauce is, by far, the best jarred sauce I’ve ever tasted. Having grown up with homemade sauce all of my life, I’m not afraid to admit that I’m a bit of a “sauce snob.” But this sauce easily passes the test!

So far, Jay and I have only tried the regular Marinara, which already has quite an amazing garlic kick to it. But I’m very interested to dig into a couple of the other flavors that we have awaiting consumption:

Garlic Sauce & Vodka Sauce. Yowsahs!! Smile

Thank you, to my friend Dan who hooked me up with these delicious jars of Italian goodness. I owe ya one! Smile

*************

For now, I’m getting ready to settle in and hopefully get started on a new book I’ve been waiting to read…

Last summer, I read both “Something Borrowed” and “Something Blue” by Emily Giffin and I LOVED them! They were very light-hearted and easy to read (aka, my kinda book!). My friend Mal just brought the book over on Friday for me to borrow, so I’m excited to get into it. Smile

Hope everyone’s week has gotten off to a great start!

Questions for the Evening:

What’s the last good book you read?

What are some of your favorite reads?

1 Michelle (The Runner's Plate) March 21, 2011 at 8:02 pm

I really want to try lemon Chobani and the Greek yogurt veggie dip, but sadly they aren’t sold anywhere around here. :(

It has been a long time since I’ve read a book, but over the summer (when I’m not teaching), I read Dean Karnazes book 50/50–50 marathons, in 50 states, in 50 consecutive days. .. . it was awesome!

2 Jess@atasteofconfidence March 21, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Let us know how it is!I read the other two and loved them, super easy and fast paced reads:)
Jess@atasteofconfidence recently posted..feeling good enough

3 Lauren @ Hungry Dancer March 21, 2011 at 8:23 pm

The lunch look perfect!!! I love Chobani!!
Lauren @ Hungry Dancer recently posted..Weekend Recap

4 Blog is the New Black March 21, 2011 at 8:24 pm

I love all EG books, but that one was my least favorite. If you like her, you’ll still enjoy it! If you like her books, I suggest Elin Hilderbrand and Jodi Piccoult’s books as well. :)
Blog is the New Black recently posted..Tortellini Vegetable Soup

5 Courtney March 21, 2011 at 8:31 pm

YES! Jodi Picoult books are great! :)

6 Alicia at AliGirl Cooks March 21, 2011 at 8:27 pm

I love Emily Griffin’s books! I can read any Candace Bushnell book over and over again! A great way to relax after a long day!

7 Pat Rowe March 21, 2011 at 8:30 pm

What is this Grandpa Pete’s you speak of?????

8 Courtney March 21, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Hahaha, don’t worry Mom, it still doesn’t replace your sauce!
(But it IS delicious!!) :)

9 Tara @ The Game of Life March 21, 2011 at 8:34 pm

I love Jodi Picoult books! I also recently read the girl with the dragon tattoo and the other 2 books in the series!! I also love all Nicolas Sparks books! :)
Tara @ The Game of Life recently posted..Inspiration

10 Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) March 21, 2011 at 8:37 pm

I’ve made my own marinara sauce a few times but honestly, I always come back to the jarred stuff. Will have to try this brand.

Last book I read (embarrassingly?) was The Hunger Games series. A friend recommended it and after reading the first, I devoured the next two.
Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) recently posted..Hiking In Three States

11 Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) March 21, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Love the pasta with zucchini on top! And that toast? Yes it does look da bomb ;)
Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) recently posted..Sweetest Thing

12 Kathryn March 21, 2011 at 8:58 pm

I love Laurell K Hamilton’s Anita Blake or Merry Gentry series…right up my alley!

13 Karen March 21, 2011 at 9:08 pm

I love Emily Giffin’s books!! I also really like the Shopaholic series – they are cute, easy reads!
Karen recently posted..Awesome Lunch

14 Courtney March 21, 2011 at 9:30 pm

I tried the Shopaholic series and, surprisingly enough, couldn’t get into them!

15 Melissa March 21, 2011 at 9:13 pm

I read Something Borrowed & thought it was so cute! Recently, I read Water for Elephants, which I loved, and Portia de Rossi’s book, Unbearable Lightness. It was good, but hard to read. Even though my eating issues were never near as bad as hers, it was startling that I could identify with some of her behaviors. Maybe not the best book if you are recovering from or have very recently recovered from an eating disorder.
Melissa recently posted..Island Inspired

16 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 21, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Right now I am reading Jodi Picoult’s new book – Sing You Home. It is AMAZING!!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..the crazy thing i she did

17 Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) March 21, 2011 at 9:31 pm

I’ve never seen those sauces before! Where do you get them??

I love to read! Just finished the final book in the Dragon Tattoo series. Love!
Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) recently posted..1430…Lazy Sunday

18 Courtney March 21, 2011 at 9:33 pm

I first got a jar at a local Harvest Fest, but I recently got these jars from a friend who works for Grandpa Pete’s. Luckily, you can order them online from their site pretty easily! :)

19 Cara March 21, 2011 at 10:00 pm

That dinner looks great! I also read “Something Borrowed” and “Something Blue” last summer! I read “Baby Proof” too and I think it was my favorite! ENJOY!

20 kate@ahealthypassion March 21, 2011 at 10:24 pm

Ooh lemon chobani sounds awesome love the combo of lemon and blueberries. And vodka sauce is my absolute fav!
kate@ahealthypassion recently posted..Recap

21 Danica March 22, 2011 at 12:08 am

I recently finished “Safe Haven” by Nicholas Sparks, and it was really good, especially if you like him as an author…
Right now I’m reading “Water for Elephants”, and I honestly have those three books from Emily Giffin sitting on my shelf to read next!

22 erica March 22, 2011 at 6:11 am

i just finished something blue the other week!
can’t wait to hear what you think of baby proof. i’m looking for a new book to read!
erica recently posted..sh-sh-sh-shake it

23 Amanda March 22, 2011 at 11:20 am

Water for Elephants is amazing!! I read it in 2 1/2 days…so hard to put down. Highly recommend it!

24 Shayla March 22, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Loved loved this book series. I’ve read all three and you’ll love this one, so cute! I also love all the Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella. I haven’t seen the movie yet, but all the books in the series are adorable and so fun to read. I think she has some new ones out that I gotta check out!

25 Christina March 22, 2011 at 6:03 pm

I’ve read all her books, but this was definitely my least favorite. Did you know they’re making Something Borrowed into a movie?!! Pretty excited to see it!

26 Courtney March 22, 2011 at 8:29 pm

YESSSSS! I can’ WAIT to see it! :-D

27 Brittney March 29, 2011 at 2:16 pm

I love the Emily Giffin books! The Heart of the Matter is the last full book I have read and breezed through it in a couple days :)
Brittney recently posted..Social Blogger