Sweet and Savory

by Courtney on April 2, 2011

Happy Saturday! How’s everyone doin’ today??

Jay, Cody, and I have been basking in the laziness that is Saturday morning, complete with some DVR’d Jersey Shore, a little fun with the cat toys, and a fantastic breakfast!

(He’s ready to POUNCE!) Winking smile

When it comes to breakfasts, 95% of the time I crave something sweet; cereal combos, buckwheat bowls, scones, doctored up PB & banana…you name it. But for some reason, the weekends seem to bring about my cravings for savory…specifically eggs!

Of course, the standard mug-o-joe was consumed along with b-fast.

And lucky for me, today’s breakfast actually fulfilled my cravings for both savory AND sweet. WOOT!

For my sweet, I toasted up a whole wheat English muffin and topped it with a little butter & raspberry Polaner All-Fruit. Probably one of my favorite jellies/jams!

For my savory eggs, Jay and I started by making some omelets…however, today’s batch ended up becoming more of a scramble. Hey, no biggie…it all tastes the same goin’ in, right? Winking smile

My scramble consisted of 1/2 cup of Egg Beaters and a boatload of veggies: red pepper, onion, spinach, & tomatoes.

I sautéed the veggies a bit before adding the eggs, which definitely gives a MUCH better flavor (in my opinion!). Then I topped off the veggies with a sprinkle of Colby Jack cheese, a little S & P, and some fresh basil.

Deeeeelicious!

Jay and I have a few things on our agenda for later today, so we’ll just have to see where the rest of the day brings us. One thing I know I AM planning on is doing is making a batch of chocolate chip cookie bread

Oohhhhhhh yes I am. Winking smile

Question for the Day:

What do you crave at breakfast: Savory or Sweet?

1 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) April 2, 2011 at 11:54 am

Sweet. ALWAYS. I have the BIGGEST sweet tooth, and I can’t imagine having a savoury breakfast!! :P

And I WANT CODY!! He is so darn CUTE!! :D
Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) recently posted..Giveaway winners and checking off those goals…

2 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy Living Girl" April 2, 2011 at 11:54 am

I crave sweet AND savory :-) You should see some of the things I come up with. My favorite is Oats ‘n Eggs. Tune in tomorrow because I’ll be posting the recipe! Hint – it is very easy because I lack the ability to cook anything remotely complicated. Have a great Saturday!

3 Honey @ Honey, What's Cooking April 2, 2011 at 11:58 am

your eggs look so great… i love the idea of adding basil to the eggs…
:-)
Honey @ Honey, What’s Cooking recently posted..David Lebovitz Absolute Best Brownies

4 Khushboo April 2, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Sweet always! If eggs are on the menu, there has to also be some sweet component!
Khushboo recently posted..Only a girl would understand

5 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles April 2, 2011 at 12:29 pm

I usually crave sweet things during the week (yogurt, oatmeal w/ pb, etc.) but I like a combo on the weekends – egg sandwiches, scrambles, bacon!, alongside pancakes and syrup. Go big or go home, right?!

6 fsugirl! April 2, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Just like you! Yogurt and sweet stuff during the week, and eggs on the weekend! :D

7 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine April 2, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Breakfast is ALWAYS sweet. I just can’t eat savory stuff first thing in the AM!!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Homemade Horseradish Hummus

8 Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out April 2, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Everything is better with basil. Just sayin…

9 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey April 2, 2011 at 12:51 pm

I alllwaaays crave sweet at breakfast!!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..the crazy thing i she did

10 Faith @ lovelyascharged April 2, 2011 at 1:08 pm

For me it’s almost always sweet, but if its savory I want an egg and cheese croissant!

11 Tara @ The Game of Life April 2, 2011 at 1:14 pm

I always want something sweet at breakfast like donuts!!! But, I always have oatmeal!! :)
Tara @ The Game of Life recently posted..Inspiration

12 Melissa April 2, 2011 at 1:46 pm

I never really thought about it before, but I always like sweet during the week, but tend to lean savory on weekends, too. Wonder why?

Either way, good call on the basil with the eggs! Basil makes everything better, no? ;)
Melissa recently posted..When Plans Fail

13 Charlie April 2, 2011 at 2:26 pm

I’m a sweet breakfast person. I very rarely crave savory first thing in the morning. Maybe once a year ;).
Charlie recently posted..Peanut Butter- Banana &amp Dark Chocolate Granola

14 Lars April 2, 2011 at 2:51 pm

I just wanted to let you know that some other site has been stealing your posts, pictures and all. http://nomoreemptyfortunecookies.com/
I am a reader of another blog (mybakingaddiction) who this happened to! THought you would like to know!

15 erica April 2, 2011 at 3:21 pm

i normally crave savory, but lately i just can’t eat eggs. strange…
erica recently posted..a busy wedding bee kind of day

16 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) April 2, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Is the sky blue?! Breakfast = sweet! :)
Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) recently posted..Peanut Butter Chocolate Ripple Ice Cream

17 Kimberley April 2, 2011 at 4:50 pm

i ALWAYS crave sweet for breakfast :)

I love baking on Saturdays!!!
Kimberley recently posted..April Goals!

18 Alexa @ SimpleEats April 2, 2011 at 4:55 pm

I think I’m the weird one, I always crave savory! Except, if nut butter/jelly is involved ,then I love sweet things!
Alexa @ SimpleEats recently posted..Switch It Up

19 Kelly April 2, 2011 at 6:03 pm

I think the reason eggs always seem appealing on the weekend is because you have the time to make them. You don’t feel rushed to get to work and can actually sit down and enjoy a slow(er) cooked breakfast. At least that is how it is for me. :)
Kelly recently posted..best vacations

20 Karen April 2, 2011 at 6:58 pm

I’m normally a sweet breakfast person but every now and then I have a craving for something savory! That scramble looks delicious!! Hope you had a great Saturday!
Karen recently posted..Schedule Success