Buttermilk Chocolate Cupcakes (with White Chocolate Buttercream Frosting and Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Frosting)

by Courtney on April 12, 2011

5:00am wakeup call and this awesome workout DONE! Time to tackle today! But first…some sweet treats and a few recipes for you all on this lovely morning!

***********

As many of you already know, I took part in a little cupcake baking this weekend!

When my mom asked if I could make some cupcakes for my grandma’s birthday, I immediately knew that I wanted to use a recipe that incorporated buttermilk. I’ve had the carton sitting in my fridge since last week, and really didn’t want it to go to waste. Luckily, after a little searching and tweaking, I found a recipe I was looking for!

The cupcakes are not only easy to make, but are super delicious. They have a light, fluffy texture that pairs well with really any frosting. Well, at least two that I know of…

I was having a really difficult time deciding on a frosting to make with these, since there’s been a few that I’ve wanted to experiment with. Luckily, I narrowed it down to two.

The first frosting I made was a Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Frosting. This was totally inspired by the tub of Trader Joe’s Peanut Butter Cream Cheese that I’ve had lurking in the fridge. I had a feeling it would make a phenomenal frosting (right Jess??), and it definitely did not disappoint!

IMG_1863-1

The second frosting was, well, out of this freakin’ world if you ask me! This White Chocolate Buttercream Frosting fit just perfectly with these rich chocolate cupcakes.

After a few minutes, the frosting even hardens a bit, making it almost candy-like. It’s incredible…like, it’s-ok-to-lick-it-off-any-surface-it-lands-on incredible. Winking smile

But don’t just take my word for it…go ahead and make a batch of these delicious little gems!

*************

*************

ENJOY! Smile

************

Raffle for Life

If you have an extra minute today, please head on over to my dear friend Heather’s blog to participate in the THS Raffle for Life. The raffle goes through Saturday and was created by Heather to help raise money for Relay for Life in honor of her Aunt Pat who passed away from cancer. You’ll even have a chance to put your raffle tickets towards some baked goods from yours truly! Open-mouthed smile

1 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries April 12, 2011 at 9:23 am

I’m really liking your photog skills with these cupcakes, Courtney! And per the usual, those cupcakes look/sound amazing!

2 Courtney April 12, 2011 at 9:26 am

Thanks, Colleen! :-D

3 Kelly April 12, 2011 at 9:23 am

Cupcake queen!!!
Kelly recently posted..my monday theory

4 Courtney April 12, 2011 at 9:26 am

Hahaha…I suddenly feel inspired to drop into a Burger King to grab a crown. Do they even still have those???? :-P

5 Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) April 12, 2011 at 9:28 am

Wowwww those cupcakes look insane!!! Both of those frostings would make my mouth water. I need to contact you when my birthday comes around ;D

6 Courtney April 12, 2011 at 11:28 am

Go for it! ;)

7 Khushboo April 12, 2011 at 9:30 am

Wow! Forget the cupcake, a bowl of frosting alone would be a fantastic dessert! Mmm
Khushboo recently posted..France would be proud

8 Jessica @ How Sweet April 12, 2011 at 9:37 am

I still have to try it as frosting! So glad it works!! :)
Jessica @ How Sweet recently posted..Life is Good

9 CaSaundra April 12, 2011 at 9:39 am

I bet you’re grandma was thrilled–aren’t buttermilk based cupcakes so moist and perfect?! Great recipe!

10 Holly April 12, 2011 at 9:57 am

I love the baking cups- super cute! Normally I only see the ‘normal’ looking ones- you know like the paper cups, but the ones you have look like flowers :)
And, I’m sure I have told you before, but I’m SO jealous of TJ’s. We do not have those down here :( I really want to get my hands on some TJ goodies!!
Holly recently posted..Honey Curry Chicken

11 Shanna, Like Banana April 12, 2011 at 10:16 am

I’ll take the white chocolate frosting since cream cheese is blech to me ;)
Shanna, Like Banana recently posted..Making do

12 Melissa April 12, 2011 at 10:25 am

Beautiful photos, Courtney!

13 Rachel @ The Perseverance Diaries April 12, 2011 at 10:27 am

Those are super cute, and obviously tasty looking. Thanks for the recipe, I think these are perfect for an Easter get-together!

14 Parita @ myinnershakti April 12, 2011 at 10:46 am

I seriously want to lick my computer screen right now!!! These look amazing!
Parita @ myinnershakti recently posted..Indian Ways

15 Lisa @ Healthy Diaries April 12, 2011 at 10:52 am

Your cupcakes always looks so good! :) I’v’e made a ton of different buttercream frostings but never White Chocolate Buttercream Frosting. Sounds delicious!
Lisa @ Healthy Diaries recently posted..Say hello to our new trees &amp garden!

16 Melissa @ Chocolate & Kisses April 12, 2011 at 10:59 am

Your skills amaze me. I don’t know how you and your hubby are not 400 pounds with those delicious desserts you always make! Must be your will power, because you are stunning! Can I have some!?!
Melissa @ Chocolate & Kisses recently posted..Bean Burgers &amp Things

17 Courtney April 12, 2011 at 11:26 am

You are too sweet, Melissa! The key is to find people you can give your recipes to…Jay takes a good portion of my baked goodies to work. :)

18 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl April 12, 2011 at 11:56 am

It amazes me how perfect those cupcakes look! The frosting looks incredible and the adorable cupcake holders are the “icing on the cake” ;-)
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy” Girl recently posted..Sleeping in With Cinnamon Rolls

19 Shelley April 12, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Courtney,
Where do you find the cupcake holders? Would love to get some! :)

20 Courtney April 12, 2011 at 12:28 pm

I received them as a gift, but I’m pretty sure they came from Marshalls??

21 Heather April 12, 2011 at 12:33 pm

oh my goodness those look heavenly! esp the frosting!!! great photos, too!

22 Brittney April 12, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Droooooooooooooool :)
Brittney recently posted..Mousakka

23 Megan (Braise The Roof) April 12, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Those are seriously adorable cupcakes! And I need to look into this peanut butter cream cheese situation pronto… :)
Megan (Braise The Roof) recently posted..That’s-a Spicy Casserole-a!

24 Mandee April 12, 2011 at 4:07 pm

love that PB cream cheese at TJs! it’s great on these chocolate granola cookies i eat, so i bet that frosting tastes awesome! in my world, pb+x=awesome. x=everything hahahaha.

25 Courtney April 12, 2011 at 9:47 pm
26 Alexa @ Simple Eats April 12, 2011 at 4:26 pm

These look to die for. They’re so pretty, but what more would I expect from the cupcake queen?!
Alexa @ Simple Eats recently posted..Semi-Wordless Weekend

27 Jen April 12, 2011 at 6:18 pm

omg what a delicious cupcakes yummmyy :D

28 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine April 12, 2011 at 8:22 pm

YUM. The white chocolate frosting looks freaking amazing. Oh my gosh I’m dying!!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..A Long Walk- The More-Fitness Half Marathon

29 Nancy April 12, 2011 at 9:25 pm

One: Those silicone cups are ADORBS.
Two: I don’t know how you made the frosting look so incredible, but I am wanting to dive into my computer screen to eat one!

30 Sarah April 12, 2011 at 10:49 pm

mmm these all sound SO good! Especially the peanut butter cream cheese frosting!!! I will have to give that a try for sure!
My sweet tooth is officially screaming at me!
Sarah recently posted..Running Vs Cycling Part I

31 Connie the cookie monster April 14, 2011 at 6:51 pm

omg thank you! ive been looking for a white chocolate icing recipe! and with your testimonial, i can place my confidence on it :)
Connie the cookie monster recently posted..Snickerdoodles!