Raspberry Devil’s Food Cupcake with Raspberry Almond Buttercream

by Courtney on April 28, 2011

You know that saying “You are what you eat?”

Well if it were changed to say “You are what you bake,” it’s very possible that I may turn into a cupcake pretty soon.

Welcome to my morning!

Raspberry Devil’s Food Cupcake with Raspberry Almond Buttercream

I’m gonna let you all in on a little secret on these…they’re from a box mix!

But in order to “jazz em up” a little bit, I simply added 1 teaspoon raspberry extract + 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips to the batter. It completely changes the flavor of a boxed mix AND is great when you need something quick.

For the frosting, I did this:

I also finished up ANOTHER batch, which I gave you all a sneak peek on yesterday

I am REALLY excited about these. I sent some in with Jay to work today and shortly after received this text message:

They are Jay’s co-workers, who have sampled many of my goodies, so this is promising. Smile

I’ll have a recipe headed your way ASAP on these. They’re super fun!

Early afternoon, I snacked on some cottage cheese with Bahama Breeze trail mix added in…

It was awesome.

And now I’m about to go grab something else before heading out the door to deliver these cupcakes to mi madre.

Hope you’re all having a great afternoon! Smile

1 ellalinea April 28, 2011 at 2:26 pm

OMG those look like heaven.. !! You’re a baking queen! :D
ellalinea recently posted..Eats from here and there

2 Angela @ MyPinkyToes April 28, 2011 at 2:26 pm

WOW…I’m drooling over ALL of these photos! Your food is so beautiful!!!

3 Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers April 28, 2011 at 2:43 pm

oooh those look like neapolitan cupcakes! neapolitan ice cream is one of my favs, so these look like winners in my book!
Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers recently posted..Words with Friends

4 Khushboo April 28, 2011 at 11:23 pm

One of my fave ice creams too- every bite is a surprise! Can’t wait for the recipe on these babies!
Khushboo recently posted..Rock-bottom motivation

5 Faith @ lovelyascharged April 28, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Gosh I am so drooling over these cupcakes! I haven’t seen raspberry extract, but oh the things I’d do if I got my hands on a bottle!
Faith @ lovelyascharged recently posted..I Survived!

6 Suzanne Spray April 28, 2011 at 3:15 pm

I’m literally DROOLING over these cupcakes! :) NEED.TO.MAKE!
Suzanne Spray recently posted..Lovin’ my new Ryka’s!

7 Lauren H April 28, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Yummy! I love chocolate and raspberry together :) ps I love how it sounds like your husband works for a “strictly just J names” place lol!

8 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun April 28, 2011 at 3:31 pm

1. I want to know what those cupcakes are!

2. There are a lot of J’s at his work. LOL
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..The Undocumented Side

9 Devon April 28, 2011 at 3:42 pm

No hatin’ on box mix. It happens!

Those are beautiful cupcakes!
Devon recently posted..Oh- September…

10 Annmarie April 28, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Jimmy, Joe, Jayson, Jamie…and Jay?! Haha. Do they hire people whose names don’t start with J at his office?

Those cupcakes have me salivating!

11 Courtney April 28, 2011 at 4:45 pm

HAHAHA, I know! It always makes me laugh :)

12 Blog is the New Black April 28, 2011 at 3:46 pm

These are beautiful! Great work, girl! Where did you find the disposable carriers?
Blog is the New Black recently posted..Easy Tomato Salad

13 Courtney April 28, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Thank you! I get my carriers from a local store, but they have a website – http://www.theconfectioneryhouse.com

14 Melissa April 28, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Gorgeous! I’m glad that you’re not afraid of the boxed mix–shortcuts are 100% ok in my book!

That trail mix looks fantastic. I need to keep an eye out for that! Fresh Market, right?
Melissa recently posted..Dollar Store with Dr Oz

15 Courtney April 28, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Yup! :)

16 Whitney April 28, 2011 at 4:03 pm

I think your next job is right infront of you!!! So beautiful! :)

17 Julia April 28, 2011 at 4:05 pm

I agree to the next job being in front of you, hellooo beautiful cupcakes! these look divine and absolutely delicious!

18 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl April 28, 2011 at 4:13 pm

I agree! Those LOOK SOOOOO GOOD! I mean, I’m sure they taste good too, but they sure are pretty ;-). As you know, I fully embrace the box mix shortcut because I don’t know how to do it from scratch! eeeek!
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy” Girl recently posted..Sushi and Doritos…A Wacky Food Combo

19 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles April 28, 2011 at 4:27 pm

My husband is such a fan of raspberries and chocolate AND his birthday is two weeks away – I just might have to make these for him! :)
Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles recently posted..Its Addicting

20 Casey April 28, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Wowzaaaa its like the J-Team at your husband’s workplace.

21 Leanne (Bride to Mrs) April 28, 2011 at 5:08 pm

You seriously need to open a bakery! You’re so talented!

22 Chelsea April 28, 2011 at 5:11 pm

I need a reason to make these….now!! They look so delish :) Figure out how to ship them and then send them my way please!!
Chelsea recently posted..Thai Wraps and Sticky Rice

23 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey April 28, 2011 at 5:30 pm

I’m going to turn into a jar of peanut butter soon. Crap.
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..realist ravioli

24 Kimberley April 28, 2011 at 5:53 pm

You are the next Betty Crocker girlllllllllll! haha funny how all of their names starts with J, am I a dork for noticing that?

I love pink :)
Kimberley recently posted..Weekly Wednesday Roundup!

25 Mary @ Bites and Bliss April 28, 2011 at 6:53 pm

YUM!! If we are what we eat, I wouldn’t mind being a whole pan of these. ;)

26 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet April 28, 2011 at 10:18 pm

These two are so pretty :) It reminds me of spring and cherry blossoms!

And who cares if the cupcakes are from a box mix?? As long as they taste delicious!
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Keepin’ It Snappy

27 Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) April 28, 2011 at 10:48 pm

Omg please open a bakery soon! You are the cupcake queen :D

28 CaSaundra April 29, 2011 at 8:57 am

Don’t you love getting compliments on your cupcakes like that?! It always makes my day for sure! :-)

29 Holly April 29, 2011 at 9:25 am

I love that all of his co-workers & Jay himself all start with ‘J’s’ :) Too funny!
Holly recently posted..Welcome to the Ravens- JIMMY SMITH!

30 Kim April 29, 2011 at 11:02 am

Wow your husband is surrounded by “j” names! Those cupcakes are so gorgeous and they sound delicious. Are you loving all your baking time now that you are fun-employed? You should do a cupcake cookbook! I’d totally buy one!
Kim recently posted..The Saga Continues

31 Courtney April 29, 2011 at 11:56 am

Fun-employed! Hahaha, that’s great!
I AM loving all my baking time…just not loving the lack of income. :-/

32 Stacey September 16, 2011 at 8:21 pm

hey courtney! i made these today! super yummmyyyy ; I added some fat free sour cream to the devils food; along with 2 eggs and 1/2 cup egg beaters and of course i also sub applesauce; anywho; i’m having issues getting my frosting the right consistency! please help; the icing is not too runny but wont hold shape when i squirt it out!!! what to do????? thx!

33 Courtney September 18, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Often times, you want to make the icing thicker than you think you need to. This has happened to me quite a bit. Try to start by adding no milk, even if it looks thick. If that doesn’t work, maybe try throwing it in the fridge for 15 mins? I know I have a harder time in the summer when it’s warmer in my kitchen…
Hopefully one of those will help! Let me know :)

34 Diana May 11, 2013 at 10:37 am

Thanks for sharing this recipe! I can’t wait to “wow” my friends tonight. I bake a lot too and am always excited to try new recipes! :)