Early 90s Fashion Trends

Happy Fashion Friday!

Today’s Topic: Early 90s Fashion Trends

That’s right! We’re going to have some fun with this one!

Earlier today, I was flipping through the channels and happened to come across an old episode of Saved By the Bell. Loved that show, by the way.

The clothes on Kelly Kapowski alone were enough to get me thinking about some of the most popular fashion trends when I was growing up in the early 90’s.

It cracks me up just to think about all of these “trends” I grew up adoring. Looking back on them now, some of them are quite amusing.

So here they are, in no particular order, some of my “favorite fashion trends from the early 90’s.” And I will be honest…I’m only including the trends that I actually wore!

Acid Wash Jeans

Snap Bracelets

Flannel Shirts (worn unbuttoned, stolen from my dad)

Overalls (with one strap down, of course)

Blossom Hats

Stirrup Pants

Oversized T-Shirts worn with Tee Shirt Clips

Layered Slouch Socks

Starter Jackets (my dad, brother, and I all shared the same one)

Fanny Packs

The “Clueless” movie fashion trend (I definitely had the cutest grey skirt suit that I wore with knee high stockings…I thought I was one hot mama fifth grader)

I feel like there’s so many more I could have listed. Talk about stylin’! Let’s see if we can keep the list going…

Question for the Day:

What were some of your favorite fashion trends growing up??

hahahha….us babies of the 80’s love this post! I rocked scrunchies and umbro shorts, hard…being that I was an avid soccer player back in the day.

2. Katie says

Stirrup pants were my thing! I also wore side ponytails complete with scrunchies. And, of course, swatch watches. Was anyone else obsessed with their Gitano sneaks??

• Courtney says

I don’t think I had those? But there was another pair I really liked…I just can’t think of the name!

3. Danica says

Oh wow this is funny…I definitely rocked the stirrup pants and scrunchies–I always had to have a scrunchie on my wrist even if there was one in my hair already! sooo stylish! : )

LOL, I still have some Umbros that I wear to bed! How about Varnet T-shirts and Champion sweatshirts? Also, it’s not necessarily a fashion trend, but I definitely sported the “mall bangs” with the half up, half down poof in the front. Yikes!

Is it lame that I still think slap bracelets are fun? :)

I bought a fanny pack for one of my old bosses as a joke and the tag said that it was a “multi-compartmental belt bag” which made me laugh so I’ve been referring to them as that ever since.
    Ashley @ Healthy Heroine recently posted..Satisfied Ashley

lol!!!! i think i must’ve rocked 90% of these trends! i cringe! buahahaha.
    did anyone have the huge hairsprayed bangs “wave” look?!?!
    that has to have been my worst look ever!

I’m pretty sure I participated in every single one of those trends except the starter jacket… which I was bummed about. ha ha…

And now every time I hear “scrunchie”, it just reminds me of the Sex and the City episode about them…
    Amy B @ Second City Randomness recently posted..Good to go!

• Jen says

HA, YES! The Sex and the City episode was what pushed me to dig all my scrunchies out from the depths of my bathroom drawers and just toss them already! Why I was holding on to them even though I never wore them is beyond me…

8. Christy says

How about lace bottomed leggings worn with a ruffled miniskirt and flats? And what about crimped hair and those large banana clips? Channel your inner DJ Tanner from Full House.

Soooooo much of this stuff is back in “style” (not that you’d catch me in acid wash)! I just got an email from singer22.com with a pair of cutoff high waisted acid wash shorts in it! All of the models pictured were def dressed TOTALLY 90s. I also bought a slap bracelet for my cousin for her birthday this past year. They’re coming back along with all the leggings and stirrups!

I used to have this pair of Tommy Hilfiger overalls that I thought were bad-ass. They had special blue and red straps and were super stylish :) Wish I still had those things…

11. Nikki says

This totally made my day! Every Friday afternoon is “Fun Friday” in my school and I brought Saved By The Bell DVDs for them to watch today! They were obsessed and couldn’t get over the clothes they were wearing. It was even better because I work in an inner city school so needless to say Kelly, Lisa and Jessie’s outfits blew them away!

Stirrup leggings were my staple in the 90s! Enjoy your weekend :)

12. fsugirl! says

Oh my gosh- too funny!! I love SBTB!! Isn’t it funny how all those clothes now would’ve been “dress code”? 😉

I love watching the Saved By the Bell re-runs at 7AM on TBS 😉

omg, Umbro shorts, my friend and I were just making fun of those a few weeks ago. I’m kind of a late 90s child, so I remember when Abercrombie and Fitch because SO COOL to wear. When I was younger, Limited Too was totally the ridiculously overpriced store to get your clothes from :)
    Emily recently posted..mental roadblocks

I love this post! I literally owned every single one of those things – although I don’t remember wearing acid wash jeans but I’m sure I had a pair or two, everyone did. I had totally forgotten about Umbros too but between me and my siblings we probably owned a dozen pairs. What about body suits? I had a drawer-full of those.

Have you seen stirrup pants around lately? I’ve noticed them popping up, especially in workout wear.
    Kate recently posted..ch – ruins and fish phobia

• Courtney says

I definitely did the body suits too…too funny!
      Yes, I have seen the stirrup pants around. Not sure if I’ll be picking up a pair anytime soon though 😉

I was a 90s baby, and wasn’t the most trendy kid growing up, but I do remember those super tight tube shorts that came in all kinds of neon colors. Boy was that unattractive! And also Mudd bell bottom jeans! They were SO COOL!
    Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Life Cafe

I tried to explain what at Starter Jacket was to the girls I work with and they flat out said “Well that’s dumb.”

I guess looking at them now we were weird but I loved my scrunchies and would make a vest or something to match all the homemade ones I made for friends.
    Cynthia (It All Changes) recently posted..Simple Stress Relief

These are so great! I always had to have little white canvas Keds–you know, with the blue label on the back so everyone would know they were Keds! I also frequently rocked the oversized t-shirt, tucked in in front and out in the back (to hide my butt, I guess???). I also stole my dad’s plaid shirts! HA!
    Melissa recently posted..Dough Monster

Love it! I rocked waaay too many of those in the 90’s. Some older family members (cough dad, cough aunt) even refused to give those acid washed jeans and fanny packs up until half way through the next decade….EMBARRASSING! :)

Snap bracelets!! haha oh my gosh, those were the best. The fanny pack was also a classic. I remember my mom had a neon floral print one that she wore DAILY. Oh the 90s, how I don’t miss you.
    Haylee recently posted..Creme.