Fashion Friday: Early 90’s Fashion Trends

by Courtney on May 13, 2011

Happy Fashion Friday!

Today’s Topic: Early 90’s Fashion Trends

That’s right! We’re going to have some fun with this one!

Earlier today, I was flipping through the channels and happened to come across an old episode of Saved By the Bell. Loved that show, by the way.

The clothes on Kelly Kapowski alone were enough to get me thinking about some of the most popular fashion trends when I was growing up in the early 90’s.

It cracks me up just to think about all of these “trends” I grew up adoring. Looking back on them now, some of them are quite amusing.

So here they are, in no particular order, some of my “favorite fashion trends from the early 90’s.” And I will be honest…I’m only including the trends that I actually wore!

Acid Wash Jeans

Umbros

Snap Bracelets

Scrunchies

Flannel Shirts (worn unbuttoned, stolen from my dad)

Overalls (with one strap down, of course)

Blossom Hats

Stirrup Pants

Oversized T-Shirts worn with Tee Shirt Clips

Layered Slouch Socks

Starter Jackets (my dad, brother, and I all shared the same one)

Fanny Packs

The “Clueless” movie fashion trend (I definitely had the cutest grey skirt suit that I wore with knee high stockings…I thought I was one hot mama fifth grader)

I feel like there’s so many more I could have listed. Talk about stylin’! Let’s see if we can keep the list going…

Question for the Day:

What were some of your favorite fashion trends growing up??

1 Becca May 13, 2011 at 1:51 pm

I’d list them, but you already did! ahahahah oh wow was I was fashion victim
Becca recently posted..Meet Miss Piggy

2 Miranda @ working mom works out May 13, 2011 at 2:02 pm

I loved tight-rolling (peg) my jeans! I thought I was awesome!

3 Courtney May 13, 2011 at 4:18 pm

Oh my gosh, YES!! Totally forgot about that…we called it “pinch rolling” ;)

4 Jillian May 13, 2011 at 2:09 pm

hahahha….us babies of the 80′s love this post! I rocked scrunchies and umbro shorts, hard…being that I was an avid soccer player back in the day.

5 Katie May 13, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Stirrup pants were my thing! I also wore side ponytails complete with scrunchies. And, of course, swatch watches. Was anyone else obsessed with their Gitano sneaks??

6 Courtney May 13, 2011 at 4:17 pm

I don’t think I had those? But there was another pair I really liked…I just can’t think of the name!

7 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries May 13, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Hahaha! T-shirt clips! Oh God. Those were such a bad idea. And I thought I was the bomb.com in my Starter jacket.
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..Cereal Crisis

8 Khushboo May 13, 2011 at 2:19 pm

This is such a fun post! I was such a tomboy- I rocked those Umbro shorts in all colors! Do you remember the brands Stussy & No Fear??
Khushboo recently posted..Rock-bottom motivation

9 Courtney May 13, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Not Stussy, but I TOTALLY remember No Fear!

10 Danica May 13, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Oh wow this is funny…I definitely rocked the stirrup pants and scrunchies–I always had to have a scrunchie on my wrist even if there was one in my hair already! sooo stylish! : )

11 Courtney May 13, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Me too! I matched the scrunchie to the outfit no matter what ;)

12 Kim May 13, 2011 at 2:23 pm

I’m so glad you posted a Fashion Friday today! I totally stole your tag line for my posting today – but I gave you credit!
Kim recently posted..Fashion Friday

13 Courtney May 13, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Haha, no worries! Mack was so cute!

14 Amanda (Eating Up) May 13, 2011 at 2:25 pm

I wore all of those too! Haha I loved the umbros inclusion–they were my favorite for soccer practice!
Amanda (Eating Up) recently posted..Gooey Butter Cookies

15 Brittney May 13, 2011 at 2:29 pm

LOL, I still have some Umbros that I wear to bed! How about Varnet T-shirts and Champion sweatshirts? Also, it’s not necessarily a fashion trend, but I definitely sported the “mall bangs” with the half up, half down poof in the front. Yikes!

16 Courtney May 13, 2011 at 4:14 pm

17 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat May 13, 2011 at 2:48 pm

The denim trend is definitely coming back… and bright bright neon colors. I can’t get into those!
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Kitchen Sink Veggie Burgers

18 Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) May 14, 2011 at 11:41 am

Omg me too. I’ve seen so many girls wearing the bright yellow jeans. I just don’t like it

19 Ashley @ Healthy Heroine May 13, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Is it lame that I still think slap bracelets are fun? :)

I bought a fanny pack for one of my old bosses as a joke and the tag said that it was a “multi-compartmental belt bag” which made me laugh so I’ve been referring to them as that ever since.
Ashley @ Healthy Heroine recently posted..Satisfied Ashley

20 Kelly May 13, 2011 at 2:56 pm

hahahaha! Love it! I have worn all of those trends…all of them!!!
Kelly recently posted..fascinated

21 Erica May 13, 2011 at 2:59 pm

lol!!!! i think i must’ve rocked 90% of these trends! i cringe! buahahaha.
did anyone have the huge hairsprayed bangs “wave” look?!?!
that has to have been my worst look ever!

22 Arianna @ Laughter & Linguini May 13, 2011 at 3:03 pm

I have to be honest, I wish it were still the 90′s! Fashion was so fun, and not so serious.. and I secretly wish I still owned scrunchies and overalls! Actually, I do still have my scrunchies… haha!

23 Amy B @ Second City Randomness May 13, 2011 at 3:14 pm

I’m pretty sure I participated in every single one of those trends except the starter jacket… which I was bummed about. ha ha…

And now every time I hear “scrunchie”, it just reminds me of the Sex and the City episode about them…
Amy B @ Second City Randomness recently posted..Good to go!

24 Jen May 14, 2011 at 5:48 pm

HA, YES! The Sex and the City episode was what pushed me to dig all my scrunchies out from the depths of my bathroom drawers and just toss them already! Why I was holding on to them even though I never wore them is beyond me…

25 steph May 13, 2011 at 3:17 pm

I think I had a fanny pack in 10 different colors.
steph recently posted..myvoice-steph- @uneviesaine Congrats !!

26 Christy May 13, 2011 at 3:47 pm

How about lace bottomed leggings worn with a ruffled miniskirt and flats? And what about crimped hair and those large banana clips? Channel your inner DJ Tanner from Full House.

27 Chelsea May 13, 2011 at 4:03 pm

I wish that overalls would come back! Plus knee highs and skirts. I also loved scrunchies!
Chelsea recently posted..When Life Hands You Lemons

28 Farrah May 13, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Let’s not forget banana clips and crimped hair!!
Farrah recently posted..Mix It Up Pasta Salad

29 brandi@BranAppetit May 13, 2011 at 4:18 pm

oh my gosh, I think I wore ALL Of these at some point! Ridiculous :)
brandi@BranAppetit recently posted..Triple Oat Breakfast Bake

30 Mandee May 13, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Soooooo much of this stuff is back in “style” (not that you’d catch me in acid wash)! I just got an email from singer22.com with a pair of cutoff high waisted acid wash shorts in it! All of the models pictured were def dressed TOTALLY 90s. I also bought a slap bracelet for my cousin for her birthday this past year. They’re coming back along with all the leggings and stirrups!

31 Courtney May 13, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Ahhhhhhh, that’s crazy!

32 Jenny May 13, 2011 at 4:37 pm

I used to have this pair of Tommy Hilfiger overalls that I thought were bad-ass. They had special blue and red straps and were super stylish :) Wish I still had those things…

33 Nikki May 13, 2011 at 4:53 pm

This totally made my day! Every Friday afternoon is “Fun Friday” in my school and I brought Saved By The Bell DVDs for them to watch today! They were obsessed and couldn’t get over the clothes they were wearing. It was even better because I work in an inner city school so needless to say Kelly, Lisa and Jessie’s outfits blew them away!

Stirrup leggings were my staple in the 90s! Enjoy your weekend :)

34 fsugirl! May 13, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Oh my gosh- too funny!! I love SBTB!! Isn’t it funny how all those clothes now would’ve been “dress code”? ;)

35 Emily May 13, 2011 at 5:07 pm

I love watching the Saved By the Bell re-runs at 7AM on TBS ;)

omg, Umbro shorts, my friend and I were just making fun of those a few weeks ago. I’m kind of a late 90s child, so I remember when Abercrombie and Fitch because SO COOL to wear. When I was younger, Limited Too was totally the ridiculously overpriced store to get your clothes from :)
Emily recently posted..mental roadblocks

36 Lauren May 13, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Too funny! I’m guilty of all those trends! Such a cute post :)

37 Elena @ GagaForGrapefruit May 13, 2011 at 5:14 pm

confession: i currently have a scrunchie in my hair. eeeek!
Elena @ GagaForGrapefruit recently posted..in an instant

38 Courtney May 13, 2011 at 9:35 pm

LOL!!! Love it! :-D

39 Tracy @ Commit To Fit May 13, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Ah, how I miss my acid wash jeans. I remember paying over $60 for them. The things we do for fashion :)
Tracy @ Commit To Fit recently posted..When To Break Up With Your Personal Trainer

40 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl May 13, 2011 at 5:58 pm

Wowww. This is a pretty comprehensive overview. You really didn’t leave much out. Very impressive. Gotta say, I loved the slap bracelets and scrunchies. Also, the shirts that changed color with temperature. That was preeeety sweet. Happy Friday!
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy” Girl recently posted..Girl vs Spaghetti Squash – Round 2- Nach-yo Typical Spag Squash

41 Courtney May 13, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Woah, I don’t think I had those shirts. No fair!

42 Amanda May 15, 2011 at 10:03 pm

omg hypercolor t-shirts?! i absolutely loved mine! too funny

43 Holly May 13, 2011 at 7:03 pm

OMG- UMBROS!! I remember them. That was the only ‘cool’ gym shorts that you could have!! hahah :D I think I had like every color, including yellow- yikes!
Holly recently posted..On the Fly Chicken Pot Pie

44 Kate May 13, 2011 at 7:47 pm

I love this post! I literally owned every single one of those things – although I don’t remember wearing acid wash jeans but I’m sure I had a pair or two, everyone did. I had totally forgotten about Umbros too but between me and my siblings we probably owned a dozen pairs. What about body suits? I had a drawer-full of those.

Have you seen stirrup pants around lately? I’ve noticed them popping up, especially in workout wear.
Kate recently posted..ch – ruins and fish phobia

45 Courtney May 13, 2011 at 9:33 pm

I definitely did the body suits too…too funny!
Yes, I have seen the stirrup pants around. Not sure if I’ll be picking up a pair anytime soon though ;)

46 ellalinea May 13, 2011 at 8:27 pm

plateau shoes !! :D
ellalinea recently posted..New food discoveries

47 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet May 13, 2011 at 9:12 pm

I was a 90s baby, and wasn’t the most trendy kid growing up, but I do remember those super tight tube shorts that came in all kinds of neon colors. Boy was that unattractive! And also Mudd bell bottom jeans! They were SO COOL!
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Life Cafe

48 Courtney May 13, 2011 at 9:33 pm

Oh I TOTALLY rocked the Mudd jeans!

49 Cynthia (It All Changes) May 13, 2011 at 10:04 pm

I tried to explain what at Starter Jacket was to the girls I work with and they flat out said “Well that’s dumb.”

I guess looking at them now we were weird but I loved my scrunchies and would make a vest or something to match all the homemade ones I made for friends.
Cynthia (It All Changes) recently posted..Simple Stress Relief

50 Sarah May 13, 2011 at 10:42 pm

UMBROS!!!!!!

51 Meg May 14, 2011 at 1:09 am

Yes! The t-shirt clips! The overalls!

Isn’t there some kind of rule that if you were old enough to wear an 80′s trend in the 80′s, you shouldn’t repeat it? haha.
Meg recently posted..Happy Mothers Day- Mom

52 elizabeth @ the good life May 14, 2011 at 7:41 am

Hilarious! and yes, I wore all of these amazing fashion trends too.
elizabeth @ the good life recently posted..Day at the K

53 Tori (Fresh Fruition) May 14, 2011 at 11:06 am

Fanny packs!

Looking back on fashion makes you wonder sometimes, haha.

54 Melissa May 14, 2011 at 11:29 am

These are so great! I always had to have little white canvas Keds–you know, with the blue label on the back so everyone would know they were Keds! I also frequently rocked the oversized t-shirt, tucked in in front and out in the back (to hide my butt, I guess???). I also stole my dad’s plaid shirts! HA!
Melissa recently posted..Dough Monster

55 Courtney May 14, 2011 at 11:48 am

HAHAHA…YES, with both the Keds and the oversized tucked in t-shirts!

56 Stephanie Bragg May 14, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Love it! I rocked waaay too many of those in the 90′s. Some older family members (cough dad, cough aunt) even refused to give those acid washed jeans and fanny packs up until half way through the next decade….EMBARRASSING! :)

57 Parita May 15, 2011 at 3:28 pm

This post was a blast from the past! I also was obsessed high side ponytails, wide leg jeans, converse sneakers, and ripped jeans worn with colorful tights. LOL!
Parita recently posted..Family- Food- and Pedicures…

58 Chelsa May 15, 2011 at 6:28 pm

OMG I love this post. I wanted to be Cher when I was 10 she was the coolest haha. That is still my favorite movie to date. Classic!
Chelsa recently posted..Calypso Love and More

59 Haylee May 4, 2012 at 11:58 pm

Snap bracelets!! haha oh my gosh, those were the best. The fanny pack was also a classic. I remember my mom had a neon floral print one that she wore DAILY. Oh the 90s, how I don’t miss you.
Haylee recently posted..Creme.