Outside Of My Comfort Zone

by Courtney on May 18, 2011

Holy sore muscles, Batman. Somebody is really feelin’ the effects of upping her weights at BodyPump yesterday! Yikes.

Last Night

Jay and I had a busy evening last night, so we grabbed dinner on the fly using a Groupon that I had purchased a couple months back for Flavour Café.

I ended up choosing the Ham Focaccia, which was ham, Swiss, tomatoes, and Dijon honey mustard on grilled focaccia. It was alright, but I knew I should have been leery, since I’m kind of picky when it comes to my ham (I really only like it super thin if it’s on a sandwich). I ate half and saved the rest for Jay to have for lunch today.

Aren’t I nice? Smile

One of the stops that we made was actually to the school that I had been working in. I knew that my former students had recently finished a big state project that we had been working on before I left, and their work was going to be out on display during the budget vote.

I dragged brought Jay with me for moral support, since I knew the trip would be bittersweet and definitely outside of my comfort zone. I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t hard to be back there, and see all of their names connected with another teacher. But I’m still glad that I went; it meant a lot to be able to see the final projects that I got them started on, and even though I’m sure none of them will even know that I was there, it felt good.

***********

When it came to this morning’s breakfast decision, I was at a complete loss. Sweet, savory, crunchy, chewy…it all sounded good. So in the meantime, I snacked on some Quaker Oatmeal Squares which were sent to me to sample from Quaker and the Clever Girls Collective.

You know I LOVE my Quaker Oatmeal Squares!

Finally, after a couple suggestions from both Diana and Farrah over Twitter, I decided on savory.

Shocking, I know, right? Savory breakfasts are almost always saved for weekends.

But man oh man, that may soon change!

I made myself an egg sandwich, using this amazing contraption. Jay and I picked this up last month when we went outlet shopping in Massachusetts, and it was probably the most convenient $3.99 purchase I’ve made in a long time. It cooks an egg or two in the microwave in less than 2 minutes, and makes it the perfect size for an English muffin.

See??

I used 1/4 cup Egg Beaters mixed with a big handful of steamed, fresh spinach, which I then topped with about a tablespoon of reduced fat shredded cheddar.

I paired that with some fresh tomato slices, a little S&P, and a tiny smear of plain Chobani. I know that might sound weird, but having the slightly creamy flavor mixed in was amazing.

This was probably my best egg sandwich ever. Soooo good!

I’ve got some work around the house to do, as well as a run planned for later today which will take place, hopefully, when my body decides to stop hatin’ on me. Winking smile

Question for the Morning:

When was the last time you stepped outside of your comfort zone?

1 Faith @ lovelyascharged May 18, 2011 at 9:30 am

If you ever scramble eggs, try stirring in a little bit of the greek yogurt (or cream cheese) – the creaminess is unbeatable!

My comfort zone was totally shattered on Monday night when I worked out with my guy. I asked him to show me some weight circuits, and we did a shoulder and triceps routine that killed me – but in a good way! I’m not used to lifting at all, so it was definitely outside of my comfort zone! At least we got to swap roles and I “taught” him a little yoga class afterwards, which was certainly out of his comfort zone, haha.
Faith @ lovelyascharged recently posted..Even Popeye Would Cringe

2 Courtney May 18, 2011 at 9:32 am

It’s so funny you mention that about the greek yogurt. I just saw Paula Deen add sour cream to her scrambled eggs and thought that greek yogurt would make a great substitute!

It sounds like your workout with your guy was awesome!! :)

3 Hats @ See How She Runs May 18, 2011 at 9:36 am

I upped my BodyPump weights a couple of classes too – I definitely felt it!
Hats @ See How She Runs recently posted..Fitblog Plank Challenge

4 Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out May 18, 2011 at 9:40 am

I need one of those!! Does the egg taste funny?

5 Courtney May 18, 2011 at 9:53 am

Not at all!

6 Samantha May 18, 2011 at 9:42 am

That egg sandwich looks TO DIE FOR! I need to get one of those contraptions!!!!

Last night was a step outside of the comfort zone for me! I typically use the gym strictly for the cardio machines. I”m training for a marathon so recently decided I need to start lifting too, to keep my whole body strong for the marathon. I used one machine and did the rest of my lifting with free weights. Me and my mom were the only females in the weight section of the gym – it was a little weird!
Samantha recently posted..Day 2

7 Whitney May 18, 2011 at 9:44 am

Did you get looks from the men like they’ve never seen a girl lifting weights before? The guys at the gym that I go to always stare in awe that I’m lifting weights. I don’t get it! :)

8 Samantha May 18, 2011 at 9:45 am

A couple of them were looking at me funny! Probably part of it was the fact that I had to roll the bench press bench out of the way so I could use the bar to do squats – and I’m kinda klutzy so I kept knocking it into things LOL!
Samantha recently posted..Day 2

9 Courtney May 18, 2011 at 9:53 am

Hahaha…that’s why I call that the “scary part” of the gym. I prefer to do my weights in class or in my basement ;)

10 christina May 18, 2011 at 9:43 am

Holy heck, that ham sandwich. I think I need to make a special request at my work cafeteria today……..mmmmmmm.
christina recently posted..Vespa Pizzeria- Boozin’- and Life Lessons

11 Whitney May 18, 2011 at 9:45 am

I seriously had to stop buying Oatmeal squares because I found myself standing in the kitchen at night just eating them nonstop. They are so addictive! :)

12 Courtney May 18, 2011 at 9:54 am

Yes they are!

13 kate May 18, 2011 at 9:57 am

Oooh that egg sandwich looks soo good! Ive seen egg cookers like that one but never thought it would work, what a cool tool for eggs in a rush or someone who can’t cook!

14 Courtney May 18, 2011 at 9:58 am

And for when you don’t want to make a mess of an extra pan and spatula with the stove :)

15 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries May 18, 2011 at 9:57 am

Cory just bought one of those egg things and loves it. I might need to swipe it from him and make myself an egg sandwich like that one :)

16 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl May 18, 2011 at 10:04 am

Wow- good for you for going to check on your students projects! And great that Jay was there for moral support :-). I don’t really think I step out of my comfort zone often enough, even when it comes to health and fitness. My goal is to take some more exercise classes that challenge me moving forward.
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy” Girl recently posted..Reasons to Turn that Monday Frown Upside Down- Sunday Brunches with Brother Bear

17 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life May 18, 2011 at 10:11 am

You sandwich looks delish! I think I need to make myself something like that for breakfast because my stomach is rumbling.
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..Hitting the pavement!

18 chloe @ 321delish May 18, 2011 at 10:26 am

that egg contraption is awesome!

I think that signing up for a HIM this summer is out of my comfort zone…but I am of the mentality of go big or go home.
chloe @ 321delish recently posted..Race Recap- 321delish Takes on the Kinetic Sprint

19 Melissa May 18, 2011 at 10:28 am

That was very brave of you to go back to your school. I’m sure it meant so much to your students to have you there supporting them.

I stepped a little outside my comfort zone going to the movies by myself last weekend. It was actually fine!

Your egg sammy looks fab! I usually just microwave mine in a little bowl. :) Yesterday, I added pesto and fresh tomato and it was SO good!

20 Kim May 18, 2011 at 10:35 am

I love those oatmeal squares! So addicting. I have to keep the box out of site or I could munch through the entire thing….oops :)

I want that egg cooker thing. I’ve been trying to incorporate more protein in the mornings but cooking an egg isn’t always the most quick/easy thing. I’m going to have to look for one of those
Kim recently posted..Snacking in Safety

21 Shanna, Like Banana May 18, 2011 at 10:40 am

Good for you girl ;)

My job requires a lot of calling people (since I’m not colocated with the rest of my team) and I hate the phone so it makes it kinda hard for me.

22 Krissie J May 18, 2011 at 10:47 am

Can’t say I’ve done that food-wise recently. I love Quaker oatmeal squares. I can’t buy them too often because I’ll end up destroying the whole box, lol. I’ll have to pick up that egg contraption! We’re getting sick of the bagel + cream cheese routine.
Krissie J recently posted..The Market is Back!

23 Diana May 18, 2011 at 10:59 am

Yay! You definitely came up with a great breakfast! Looks fab! :)

Last time I stepped out of my comfort zone? Probably when I had dim sum for brunch a couple weeks ago. I’ve been to dim sum a bajillion times, but I always feel a bit like an outsider since it’s such a traditional Chinese meal. I love being in the environment though! It’s like being in another world!
Diana recently posted..Farm Fresh Strawberry Shortcake with Amaretto-Spiked Whipped Cream

24 Kathryn May 18, 2011 at 10:59 am

My husband loves the egg sandwiches from fast food places, so we use one od those to make (healthier) egg sandwiches at home. I love it!
Anytime I’m at the gym and I go to a classes, I’m stepping out of my comfort zone. I have no problem using weights or the weight machines, but get me in a class and I feel like a bumbling 12 year old.

25 Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) May 18, 2011 at 11:09 am

I need one of those egg contraptions! I’ve been making my egg sandwiches by cooking my egg in the microwave lol

26 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles May 18, 2011 at 11:10 am

Courtney, I admire you for going to see your previous students’ projects. I’m sure it meant a lot to them!

27 Liz @ Tip Top Shape May 18, 2011 at 11:18 am

That egg sandwich looks great!! That little contraption is the best and so convenient! Last time I stepped out of my comfort zone?? Definitely a few weeks ago when in one of my classes I pitched an advertising campaign to a number of ad people from the city. It was nerve-wracking (especially when you act out your commercial with a ridiculous southern accent) but it was such a great experience. Plus, they liked it!
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Funfetti Cookies

28 Liz @ IHeartVegetables May 18, 2011 at 11:21 am

Way to break out of your comfort zone! I’ve been trying to push myself out of my comfort zone more, by meeting new people, trying new things, etc! Last night I played a muddy game of kickball and it was awesome!
Liz @ IHeartVegetables recently posted..5 Day Challenge- Day 1 Recap

29 Khushboo May 18, 2011 at 11:39 am

I can only eat ham in wafer thin form too, otherwise rather not! I’m normally an oatmeal/yog ness for brekkie girl but I decided to challenge myself: new brekkie every day for a whole week! I actually really enjoyed it and love having so many options to choose from (although it’s also kinda confusing!)
Khushboo recently posted..Blondes have more fun

30 Khushboo May 18, 2011 at 11:45 am

Yog mess, not ness! Forgot to say, I recently blogged about comfort zones which you may be interested to read http://kthadani.wordpress.com/2011/05/06/food-for-thought/
Khushboo recently posted..Blondes have more fun

31 Shari @ Chicago Cuisine Critique May 18, 2011 at 11:44 am

That egg contraption is awesome. I need to pick myself up one of those. I have been super into the breakfast sandwich lately. This would be an awesome addition. :)
Shari @ Chicago Cuisine Critique recently posted..What Im Loving Wednesday

32 Dawn @ Blonde on a Mission May 18, 2011 at 12:00 pm

That egg sandwich looks so good!
I would say the last time I stepped out of my comfort zone was spending 3 months living in Chicago doing a magazine internship. I learned so much about my career goals, and living on my own in a big city.

33 TheBloggersBrother May 18, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Killer breakfast sandwich..I’ll battle you in a breakfast sandwich standoff

34 Courtney May 18, 2011 at 12:55 pm

It’s ON!

35 Stephanie May 18, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Courtney, can you share the name of that gadget? I make a “healthified” egg mcmuffin sandwich for him every morning and this would save me some time! Btw, enjoy your blog! I just finished my first 5k on Mother’s Day and have now signed up for a Divas Half Marathon this October. Good luck with your next race!

36 Courtney May 18, 2011 at 12:56 pm
37 Stephanie May 18, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Thanks!

38 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey May 18, 2011 at 12:54 pm

I am constantly outside my comfort zone. I’m naturally a pretty introverted person, so opening up is hard!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..food phases

39 Alyssa Kuminski May 18, 2011 at 12:55 pm

I bought one of those but have been afraid to try it!! Smart to steam your spinach ahead of time.
Alyssa Kuminski recently posted..WIAW

40 Jen May 18, 2011 at 1:02 pm

OOOOOHHHHH! I want that little egg cooker!!! I always try cooking them in a bowl or something and it never works quite right, YUM, I’m so hungry now, I adore breakfast sandwiches and that one looks fantastic! Great idea about smearing on the greek yogurt too — I can’t STAND dry sandwiches!

41 Jillian May 18, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Wow, I need that egg thing!!! I always use a bowl but it’s just a little too big. That is perfect! I wonder if they have it on Amazon or something…what would I call it to google it? Lol

42 Courtney May 18, 2011 at 2:38 pm

microwave egg cooker? lol…

43 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat May 18, 2011 at 1:29 pm

The panini looks fab – just the kind of bread I wish I had on hand last night! Paninis on sandwhich thins just don’t work!
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..What I Ate and Worked Out Wednesday

44 Lauren @ Hungry Dancer May 18, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Sometimes savory breakfasts are the way to go!! Loving the eggwich!! YUM!!!
Lauren @ Hungry Dancer recently posted..Missed you!

45 Tori (Fresh Fruition) May 18, 2011 at 5:09 pm

I haven’t had an egg sandwich in so long! That looks yummy.

We have a special contraption attached to our toaster that cooks the eggs and steams the toppings while your bread toasts. It sure is funny looking but it works like a charm!
Tori (Fresh Fruition) recently posted..A Weekend of Firsts

46 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet May 18, 2011 at 7:18 pm

Cool egg tool! I usually microwave my eggs using just a pyrex measuring cup, but this sounds even easier!

Just wondering, how could your school just make you leave during the school year?? I’ve never heard of a class switching teachers in the middle of the year! That’s ridiculous!
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..The Night Before

47 Courtney May 18, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Yes, it’s ridiculous, I agree!

48 Farrah May 18, 2011 at 9:33 pm

Very cool egg contraption! I have a really cool one too! Mine is actually a silicone egg poacher! It is amazing. You can either place it directly in a skillet with boiling water to poach the eggs, or you can put it right in the microwave! I picked it up at Le Gourmet Chef at Crossgates Mall.

Here is the link
Farrah recently posted..BBQ Grilled Shrimp with Garlic Green Beans

49 Andreea @ Journey To USA May 19, 2011 at 2:48 am

My husband tried so hard to maeke love eggs , but I ate them almoust after two years and Oh, boy! I missed them so much. Eggs leave you full and satisfied and are tasty too paired with any veggie.

Speaking of confort zone. I finally had the guts to ride a bike. Being 21 and still not knowing a basic thing like that was un unbearable, so I received some free lesons from hubs and this weekend we’ll give it another shoot, since I’m such a good student.
Andreea @ Journey To USA recently posted..Her Post- The Day I Had My Soul On Wheels

50 Andreea @ Journey To USA May 19, 2011 at 2:49 am

Please forgive my poor grammar skills. Please! I m in a hurry too.

51 Crista May 19, 2011 at 3:17 am

Hey! I’ve just started reading you’re blog and I put a link to your blog on my current post :) I hope you don’t mind. I’ve found your writing to be inspirational as well as really enjoyable! Cheers from a fellow sweet tooth!
Crista recently posted..CONFESSIONAL!!

52 Patti Browning December 9, 2011 at 1:48 am

microwave egg cooker? So addicting. I upped my BodyPump weights a couple of classes too – I definitely felt it!
Patti Browning recently posted..Cancer Tattoos Tumblr