Outside Of My Comfort Zone

Holy sore muscles, Batman. Somebody is really feelin’ the effects of upping her weights at BodyPump yesterday! Yikes.

Last Night

Jay and I had a busy evening last night, so we grabbed dinner on the fly using a Groupon that I had purchased a couple months back for Flavour Café.

I ended up choosing the Ham Focaccia, which was ham, Swiss, tomatoes, and Dijon honey mustard on grilled focaccia. It was alright, but I knew I should have been leery, since I’m kind of picky when it comes to my ham (I really only like it super thin if it’s on a sandwich). I ate half and saved the rest for Jay to have for lunch today.

Aren’t I nice? Smile

One of the stops that we made was actually to the school that I had been working in. I knew that my former students had recently finished a big state project that we had been working on before I left, and their work was going to be out on display during the budget vote.

I dragged brought Jay with me for moral support, since I knew the trip would be bittersweet and definitely outside of my comfort zone. I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t hard to be back there, and see all of their names connected with another teacher. But I’m still glad that I went; it meant a lot to be able to see the final projects that I got them started on, and even though I’m sure none of them will even know that I was there, it felt good.

***********

When it came to this morning’s breakfast decision, I was at a complete loss. Sweet, savory, crunchy, chewy…it all sounded good. So in the meantime, I snacked on some Quaker Oatmeal Squares which were sent to me to sample from Quaker and the Clever Girls Collective.

You know I LOVE my Quaker Oatmeal Squares!

Finally, after a couple suggestions from both Diana and Farrah over Twitter, I decided on savory.

Shocking, I know, right? Savory breakfasts are almost always saved for weekends.

But man oh man, that may soon change!

I made myself an egg sandwich, using this amazing contraption. Jay and I picked this up last month when we went outlet shopping in Massachusetts, and it was probably the most convenient $3.99 purchase I’ve made in a long time. It cooks an egg or two in the microwave in less than 2 minutes, and makes it the perfect size for an English muffin.

See??

I used 1/4 cup Egg Beaters mixed with a big handful of steamed, fresh spinach, which I then topped with about a tablespoon of reduced fat shredded cheddar.

I paired that with some fresh tomato slices, a little S&P, and a tiny smear of plain Chobani. I know that might sound weird, but having the slightly creamy flavor mixed in was amazing.

This was probably my best egg sandwich ever. Soooo good!

I’ve got some work around the house to do, as well as a run planned for later today which will take place, hopefully, when my body decides to stop hatin’ on me. Winking smile

Question for the Morning:

When was the last time you stepped outside of your comfort zone?

Comments

If you ever scramble eggs, try stirring in a little bit of the greek yogurt (or cream cheese) – the creaminess is unbeatable!

My comfort zone was totally shattered on Monday night when I worked out with my guy. I asked him to show me some weight circuits, and we did a shoulder and triceps routine that killed me – but in a good way! I’m not used to lifting at all, so it was definitely outside of my comfort zone! At least we got to swap roles and I “taught” him a little yoga class afterwards, which was certainly out of his comfort zone, haha.
    Faith @ lovelyascharged recently posted..Even Popeye Would Cringe

• Courtney says

It’s so funny you mention that about the greek yogurt. I just saw Paula Deen add sour cream to her scrambled eggs and thought that greek yogurt would make a great substitute!

It sounds like your workout with your guy was awesome!! :)

That egg sandwich looks TO DIE FOR! I need to get one of those contraptions!!!!

Last night was a step outside of the comfort zone for me! I typically use the gym strictly for the cardio machines. I”m training for a marathon so recently decided I need to start lifting too, to keep my whole body strong for the marathon. I used one machine and did the rest of my lifting with free weights. Me and my mom were the only females in the weight section of the gym – it was a little weird!
    Samantha recently posted..Day 2

• Whitney says

Did you get looks from the men like they’ve never seen a girl lifting weights before? The guys at the gym that I go to always stare in awe that I’m lifting weights. I don’t get it! :)

• says

A couple of them were looking at me funny! Probably part of it was the fact that I had to roll the bench press bench out of the way so I could use the bar to do squats – and I’m kinda klutzy so I kept knocking it into things LOL!
        Samantha recently posted..Day 2

• Courtney says

Hahaha…that’s why I call that the “scary part” of the gym. I prefer to do my weights in class or in my basement ;)

3. Whitney says

I seriously had to stop buying Oatmeal squares because I found myself standing in the kitchen at night just eating them nonstop. They are so addictive! :)

Oooh that egg sandwich looks soo good! Ive seen egg cookers like that one but never thought it would work, what a cool tool for eggs in a rush or someone who can’t cook!

Wow- good for you for going to check on your students projects! And great that Jay was there for moral support :-). I don’t really think I step out of my comfort zone often enough, even when it comes to health and fitness. My goal is to take some more exercise classes that challenge me moving forward.
    Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy” Girl recently posted..Reasons to Turn that Monday Frown Upside Down- Sunday Brunches with Brother Bear

That was very brave of you to go back to your school. I’m sure it meant so much to your students to have you there supporting them.

I stepped a little outside my comfort zone going to the movies by myself last weekend. It was actually fine!

Your egg sammy looks fab! I usually just microwave mine in a little bowl. :) Yesterday, I added pesto and fresh tomato and it was SO good!

I love those oatmeal squares! So addicting. I have to keep the box out of site or I could munch through the entire thing….oops :)

I want that egg cooker thing. I’ve been trying to incorporate more protein in the mornings but cooking an egg isn’t always the most quick/easy thing. I’m going to have to look for one of those
    Kim recently posted..Snacking in Safety

Can’t say I’ve done that food-wise recently. I love Quaker oatmeal squares. I can’t buy them too often because I’ll end up destroying the whole box, lol. I’ll have to pick up that egg contraption! We’re getting sick of the bagel + cream cheese routine.
    Krissie J recently posted..The Market is Back!

Yay! You definitely came up with a great breakfast! Looks fab! :)

Last time I stepped out of my comfort zone? Probably when I had dim sum for brunch a couple weeks ago. I’ve been to dim sum a bajillion times, but I always feel a bit like an outsider since it’s such a traditional Chinese meal. I love being in the environment though! It’s like being in another world!
    Diana recently posted..Farm Fresh Strawberry Shortcake with Amaretto-Spiked Whipped Cream

10. Kathryn says

My husband loves the egg sandwiches from fast food places, so we use one od those to make (healthier) egg sandwiches at home. I love it!
    Anytime I’m at the gym and I go to a classes, I’m stepping out of my comfort zone. I have no problem using weights or the weight machines, but get me in a class and I feel like a bumbling 12 year old.

That egg sandwich looks great!! That little contraption is the best and so convenient! Last time I stepped out of my comfort zone?? Definitely a few weeks ago when in one of my classes I pitched an advertising campaign to a number of ad people from the city. It was nerve-wracking (especially when you act out your commercial with a ridiculous southern accent) but it was such a great experience. Plus, they liked it!
    Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Funfetti Cookies

I can only eat ham in wafer thin form too, otherwise rather not! I’m normally an oatmeal/yog ness for brekkie girl but I decided to challenge myself: new brekkie every day for a whole week! I actually really enjoyed it and love having so many options to choose from (although it’s also kinda confusing!)
    Khushboo recently posted..Blondes have more fun

That egg sandwich looks so good!
    I would say the last time I stepped out of my comfort zone was spending 3 months living in Chicago doing a magazine internship. I learned so much about my career goals, and living on my own in a big city.

14. Stephanie says

Courtney, can you share the name of that gadget? I make a “healthified” egg mcmuffin sandwich for him every morning and this would save me some time! Btw, enjoy your blog! I just finished my first 5k on Mother’s Day and have now signed up for a Divas Half Marathon this October. Good luck with your next race!

15. Jen says

OOOOOHHHHH! I want that little egg cooker!!! I always try cooking them in a bowl or something and it never works quite right, YUM, I’m so hungry now, I adore breakfast sandwiches and that one looks fantastic! Great idea about smearing on the greek yogurt too — I can’t STAND dry sandwiches!

Wow, I need that egg thing!!! I always use a bowl but it’s just a little too big. That is perfect! I wonder if they have it on Amazon or something…what would I call it to google it? Lol

I haven’t had an egg sandwich in so long! That looks yummy.

We have a special contraption attached to our toaster that cooks the eggs and steams the toppings while your bread toasts. It sure is funny looking but it works like a charm!
    Tori (Fresh Fruition) recently posted..A Weekend of Firsts

Cool egg tool! I usually microwave my eggs using just a pyrex measuring cup, but this sounds even easier!

Just wondering, how could your school just make you leave during the school year?? I’ve never heard of a class switching teachers in the middle of the year! That’s ridiculous!
    Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..The Night Before

Very cool egg contraption! I have a really cool one too! Mine is actually a silicone egg poacher! It is amazing. You can either place it directly in a skillet with boiling water to poach the eggs, or you can put it right in the microwave! I picked it up at Le Gourmet Chef at Crossgates Mall.

Here is the link
    Farrah recently posted..BBQ Grilled Shrimp with Garlic Green Beans

My husband tried so hard to maeke love eggs , but I ate them almoust after two years and Oh, boy! I missed them so much. Eggs leave you full and satisfied and are tasty too paired with any veggie.

Speaking of confort zone. I finally had the guts to ride a bike. Being 21 and still not knowing a basic thing like that was un unbearable, so I received some free lesons from hubs and this weekend we’ll give it another shoot, since I’m such a good student.
    Andreea @ Journey To USA recently posted..Her Post- The Day I Had My Soul On Wheels

Hey! I’ve just started reading you’re blog and I put a link to your blog on my current post :) I hope you don’t mind. I’ve found your writing to be inspirational as well as really enjoyable! Cheers from a fellow sweet tooth!
    Crista recently posted..CONFESSIONAL!!

Trackbacks

1. […] Sweet Tooth Sweet Life – Egg Sandwich Yes Courtney has a 2nd entry this week. Now I know an egg sandwich sounds really simple but as I stated above. Not the way I eat and I don’t really know how to cook well so I need all the ideas I can get. And I think I really need the egg cooker thing that she shows in her post. […]