Can This Be My Life Every Day?

by Courtney on May 29, 2011

Last.night.was.awesome.

If you remember, we had two stipulations, for wherever we ended up:

A Big Patio

And Cold Beer

Boy, did we definitely find somewhere that delivered!

I still can’t believe that this was our first time visiting Dinosaur Bar-B-Que, seeing as though we were both super excited about it’s arrival here in Troy. I know that it’s pretty popular in it’s other locations, especially with the bikers…

I loved how they had special parking spaces for the bikes!

We had heard that there have been crazy long waits for tables, so we made sure to get there early so we could get a spot exactly where we wanted to be…

Right next to this view of the Hudson River. Isn’t it awesome???

We were happy to see that we even had some live music to keep us entertained.

Immediately upon sitting, we were given some menus, so I perused the beer list to see what looked good.

IMG_3789IMG_3791

Well, there were quite a few that looked good, but as soon as I saw my beloved Blue Point Blueberry beer, there was really no question.

I love this beer.

Since we were there pretty early, Jay and I weren’t planning on ordering food right away, so we sat and chatted, enjoying the blaring rays of sunshine that were pouring in on us.

Please, let this be my life every day? Winking smile

After a little bit, we ended up checking out the appetizers, only to see that they had fried green tomatoes.

I’ve always wanted to try these little gems, so we decided to get a small order of those, along with some honey bbq chicken wings for hubby.

Can I just say, these fried green tomatoes were fantastic. I completely ignored the fact that they were fried and covered in buttermilk ranch because, hey, they’re tomatoes. No big deal, right?

While we were sitting, we were able to get in touch with our friends Josh and Erika to see if they wanted to join us for dinner. So about an hour later, they arrived and we ordered some dinner.

I got the Original Pulled Pork Sandwich with french fries and simmered greens.

I really, really love pulled pork. Like, a lot. Especially when it’s slathered in bbq sauce. This stuff was amaaaaazing.

The french fries tasted like they were hand cut, not like the ones that just come out of a bag, so they too were delicious. The simmered greens, which were a mix of collard and mustard greens, were actually quite good too, and had some really good flavor goin’ on.

On the side, we got some corn bread, which I tried a piece of. Again, delicious.

After hanging out some more on the patio, the four of us decided that we were in the mood for some gelato. Knowing that there was a place “a couple blocks” up the road, we decided to walk there. Well, “a couple blocks” ended up being more like six blocks, only to find out that the place was closed.

Seriously?

So we walked the other six blocks back, braving barking pit-bulls through windows and all, got in our car, and headed down the road straight to my favorite ice cream spot, The Snowman.

I skipped my usual order, but unfortunately, I was a distracted blogger and almost completely forgot to take a picture of my delicious cone…

I will tell you that at one time, that cone was about 4 times the size of what you see here, topped with one scoop of homemade Oreo and one scoop of Black Raspberry yogurt. Goodness gracious, I was in heaven!

Our night didn’t end here though, my friends. After getting ice cream, we headed back down the road to a local brewery, Brown’s Brewing Co., to meet up with some other friends for a drink.

Brown’s is actually the home of another one of my favorite brews, Cherry Raspberry Ale.

They even put a cherry at the bottom of the glass…heyyy, haven’t I seen that before? Winking smile

IMG_3816IMG_3817

Jay got one for himself, but I was the cool kid who stuck with water. Once I have my sweets for the night, I am dunzo. Not to mention the fact that these are heavy beers, too.

Thanks, Josh & Rik for letting me take your picture. Smile

But I’ll get to that more another time. Winking smile

Talk about an awesome, fun-filled night! CHEERS! Smile

I’ve got another long, fun-filled day ahead of me today, so it’s time to get movin’. Hope your weekend is going just as well!

Questions for the Morning:

What is your…

1. Favorite beer (or other drink if you don’t have one)?
  2. Favorite ice cream (either location or flavor)?
  3. Favorite thing covered in bbq sauce?

1 Molly Carter May 29, 2011 at 8:35 am

Girl, you need to get down South fast….we love fried green tomatoes and top them with any and everything. My favorite is goat cheese! Your afternoon on the Hudson looks like tons of fun. So glad it’s finally getting to be warm and sunny. :)
Molly Carter recently posted..Savannah- GA- The Highlights

2 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy Living Girl" May 29, 2011 at 8:37 am

Awww that place looks like so much fun. Totally my kind of place. And what a view of the Hudson River! Everything you ordered looked delicious, especially the fried green tomatoes! YUMMY!! After I eat sweets, I can’t drink anymore either.

Favorite Beer? I’m so ashamed….Coors Light. I love it. Must be the Nebraska girl in me or something.

Favorite Ice Cream? Does frozen yogurt count? If yes, then of course, 16 Handles.

Favorite thing covered in bbq sauce? Chicken….followed by pretzels. I love dipping pretzels in bbq sauce. I know…strange.
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy Living Girl” recently posted..Friendship and Frozen Hot Chocolate

3 Courtney May 29, 2011 at 12:54 pm

No hatin’ on the Coors Light…I like one every now and then myself ;)

4 Laura @ LauraLikesDesign May 29, 2011 at 8:37 am

What a cute little black dress! Sounds like a fun night. I’ve never tried fried tomatoes but they sound interesting.

Not a beer fan–I love fruity red wines though.
Ice cream flavor = mint chip or coffee ….or vanilla with a bunch of toppings
I love grilled chicken breasts with BBQ sauce! So delicious and summer-y
Laura @ LauraLikesDesign recently posted..My Best Friend Part 2

5 Khushboo May 29, 2011 at 8:40 am

You make dining al fresco seem even nicer than it already is! Its so hard to choose 1 fave ice cream flavor but I’m leaning towards Choc chip cookie dough or coffee! Barbecue chicken or shrimps do it for me every time! Have a great day!
Khushboo recently posted..Blondes have more fun

6 Courtney May 29, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Two of my favorite flavors right there! ;)

7 Farrah May 29, 2011 at 8:47 am

Let’s see….my favorite beers are Bass Ale, Stella Artois and Saranac Pomegranate Wheat.

We were at Snowman’s last night too! I had the Only 8 Frozen Yogurt in Kahlua. It was really good! I am definitely a frozen yogurt kinda girl!

I like pretty much anything with BBQ sauce on it. I made some homemade BBQ sauce recently that was soooo good and I’ve made it three times in two weeks! LOL

I hope you get around to filling is in on your secret soon! I’ve been wondering ever since you Tweeted about “things happening for a reason”! LOL ;)
Farrah recently posted..Banana Split Pie

8 Courtney May 29, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Ahhhhh, hahaha, that other comment actually has nothing to do with that tweet. Turns out I got a little ahead of myself on that tweet actually…ahh well!

9 Krissie J May 29, 2011 at 9:02 am

I’m in love with Dogfish Head’s 90 Min IPA. If you ever come across it and you’re into hoppy beers, this is one of the best I’ve had!
Krissie J recently posted..Memorial Weekend- Part 1

10 Farrah May 29, 2011 at 11:43 am

I *love* many of the dogfish head brews!!! One of my favorites was the Chateau Jiahu. Yummy!
Farrah recently posted..Banana Split Pie

11 Charlie May 29, 2011 at 9:26 am

When it finally stops raining, I definitely want a day like yours ;).
I don’t like bear but my favorite drink is litchi martini!
Ice cream: Ben & Jerry’s Half Baked
& I love dipping pan-fried tofu in BBQ sauce :).
Charlie recently posted..Veggie-Packed Tortellini Soup

12 Sarah May 29, 2011 at 9:27 am

Wow.. your day looks AMAZING. So jealous! I too was hanging out along the Hudson yesterday. Weather was gorgeous!

Favorite beer– Old Speckled Hen
Favorite ice cream– More of a frozen yogurt person. Peanut butter or cake batter fro yo!
Favorite thing covered in bbq sauce? R-I-B-S!!
Sarah recently posted..So Much Food So Little Time

13 Jess @JessCantCook May 29, 2011 at 9:28 am

Beautiful view! I love sitting outside on a patio like that, it makes the food taste better :)

I’m not a beer drinker so my favorite drink, especially in the summer, is definitely a mojito. I’ll eat any ice cream that combines chocolate and peanut butter and I like my bbq sauce on a pulled pork bbq sandwich!

14 Cute~Ella May 29, 2011 at 9:28 am

Dinosaurs is fun! Plus my favorite bartender works there now as a waitress – Heather is amazing.

To answer your questions:
1. I like beer in general. Which one is my “favorite” depends on the season, but Circus Boy by Magic Hat is generally a good choice.
2. I like the ice cream place by my laundromat because it makes doing laundry tolerable. My favorite flavor is Strawberry OR Twist in a dish with cherry dip and rainbow sprinkles and a cone on top.
3. I’m not a super big fan of bbq sauce. I’ll eat it if someone else cooks with it, but the only thing I’ll put it on some times is tater tots or hot dogs.
Cute~Ella recently posted..Sharing is Caring – Taco Bites a’la Sue

15 Courtney May 29, 2011 at 12:51 pm

OMG…seeing your comment made me realize that I need to get in touch with you! Good lord I’m a space case…don’t I owe you money for a donut pan???

16 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries May 29, 2011 at 9:47 am

I’m not a beer girl, but I can definitely get down with a Woodchuck hard cider every once in a blue moon. I’m more of a vodka girl :) My favorite frozen yogurt place is called Sweet Frog. It’s ahhhmazing!
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..Guess What

17 Courtney May 29, 2011 at 12:50 pm

I LOVE Woodchuck cider! Did you know they make more than just the apple cider beer? I think there’s pear and another one too. One night while we were out, I actually asked the bartender to mix woodchuck cider with blue moon…sounds crazy, but it was AWESOME!!

18 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries May 29, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Oohh that sounds like that’d be an awesome combo! Did you come up with that yourself?! Impressive. We have the Woodchuck Summer Edition in the fridge right now and it’s SO good!!
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..Guess What

19 Courtney May 29, 2011 at 10:20 pm

I did! I was impressed with myself ;)

20 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet May 29, 2011 at 9:50 am

What a crazy fun day! I’ve never tried fried green tomatoes before, but I’m sure it’s delicious since it’s fried, after all :)

My favorite beer is this Chinese green beer that I just tried during my trip there, fave ice cream is Coldstone’s Mudpie Mojo mmmmmm, and I love BBQ covered chicken from the grill!
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Homecoming

21 Jane May 29, 2011 at 10:08 am

Hi! I’m a Sweet Tooth Sweet Life fan! I just went to Dinosaur BBQ for the first time a few days ago and LOVED the fried green tomatoes!
Jane recently posted..Veniero’s Pasticceria -

22 Courtney May 29, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Hey Jane! Thanks!! :)
Aren’t they amazing????

23 Charlotte May 29, 2011 at 11:05 am

Ah Dino BBQ is SO GOOD! The cornbread is out of this world, and the mac and cheese is awesome too. The Troy location where you went looks a lot nicer than the Syracuse one. Good find! Looks like you had an awesome night!
Charlotte recently posted..Today- I

24 Sarah R May 29, 2011 at 11:18 am

1. Moose Drool or any other brown ale
2. There’s no way I could choose a favorite flavor, but The Salty Dog Ice Cream Shop on Hilton Head Island is fan-freakin-tastic!
3. I’ve had a serious aversion to all things barbecue for about the last 6 months or so. Sad times!

25 Jess@atasteofconfidence May 29, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Love Dino BBQ! (I go to college in Rochester:))
Jess@atasteofconfidence recently posted..my eating story- part 3

26 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles May 29, 2011 at 12:57 pm

I love Leinenkugel’s Sunset Wheat – it’s delicious in the summer! As for ice cream, I love Salted Caramel – there’s a place in Baltimore that makes it. I went there all the time when I lived there last year. I miss it!

27 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey May 29, 2011 at 12:59 pm

I love foreshadowing lines in blog posts: “I told them they better get used to it, since they’re gonna be seeing a whole lot more of us pretty soon.” Hmmm I was going to guesss that maybe you’ll be moving, but then I just remembered you just renovated your kitchen. Interesting.. way to keep me on my toes.
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..food phases

28 Courtney May 29, 2011 at 1:53 pm
29 Katherine May 29, 2011 at 1:20 pm

You guys are absolutely adorable!
Katherine recently posted..Guatemala Info

30 Jaclyn May 29, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Sounds like such a fun night! You guys are so cute :)
Jaclyn recently posted..Friday Fave Fives- Hello Memorial Day Weekend!

31 Caitlin @ Southern Curls & Pearls May 29, 2011 at 1:55 pm

My favorite drink is Woodchuck! It’s a hard cider.. and it tastes like sparkling apple juice! YUM. Looks like you had a fun night :)
Caitlin @ Southern Curls & Pearls recently posted..Fit for a Sailor

32 K (funinphots) May 29, 2011 at 2:23 pm

The view looks awesome! Sounds like such a relaxing evening :)

33 Emily May 29, 2011 at 4:05 pm

I don’t really love beer, but I tend to prefer fruitier ones! I loveeee soft serve ice cream, especially black raspberry. I still have to try The Snowman :)
Emily recently posted..Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes

34 Courtney May 29, 2011 at 10:19 pm

Ummm…yes you do. Let me know when you’re down this way…we’re totally going! ;)

35 Olivia May 29, 2011 at 5:23 pm

omg talk about the perfect night you had!! outdoor seating right on the hudson river; its gorgeous!! and then add in great food + live music…SCORE!! (ps I LOVE fried green tomatoes too!) such a yummy southern belle food! ps, that ice cream too, looks AMAZING! so jeal:)
Olivia recently posted..Melt- A restaurant review!

36 katie @ food home fitness May 29, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Fried Green Tomatoes soooo count as a veggie ;)!!! Cute pics of you and Jay!! :) Love the black and white!!
katie @ food home fitness recently posted..Girl’s Night Out!!

37 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) May 29, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Didn’t know they opened Dinosaur out your way! The scenic location on the river looks awesome! I love the original one in downtown Syracuse. And I’m with you on the pulled pork – delicious!
Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) recently posted..Sugar High Fridays- Sprinkles! Roundup

38 sara @ the foodie diaries May 29, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Another blueberry beer that I love is Sea Dog Blue Paw! It’s AMAZING and tastes just like a blueberry muffin (especially when they throw a few blueberries into the draft ;) ). Seriously, you should TRY IT! That honestly looks like the perfect day, glad you had so much fun :)
sara @ the foodie diaries recently posted..Cornhole- Crabs- and Freckle Glasses

39 Courtney May 29, 2011 at 10:18 pm

I feel like I’ve seen that before, but never tried it. I’ll have to pick it up next time! I especially like your idea about adding the blueberries…YUM! :)

40 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine May 29, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Nothing better than sitting outside with a good beer! My favorite is Belhaven Lager, but there are TONS that I love. My problem is that I can never remember which ones I try!!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Ice Cream &gt Fish Head

41 Babs May 29, 2011 at 8:17 pm

Sounds like a great weekend day to me! My favorite beer is definitely this raspberry beer, well it’s more of a cider, but it’s amazing.
Babs recently posted..Sugar Coma

42 Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out May 29, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Yay for Fried Green Tomatoes and Greens and Pulled Pork. LOVE Southern food!
Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out recently posted..Pre Race Day Jitters

43 Kristen May 29, 2011 at 10:52 pm

what a great picture of the two of yoU!
My favorite ice cream is Ted Drews which is only local, here in st louis!

44 Natalie May 30, 2011 at 1:29 am

Favorite Beer: Corona with Lime is my all time favorite.As for something different Organic Green Man Ginger Beer ( Dying to try Pumpking Beer but you cant find pumpkin beer in New Zealand)

here is the link for NZ Ginger Beer. So Delicious!

Favorite Ice Cream: PB Cookie Dough Frozen Yoghurt

Favorite thing to cover with BBQ Sauce: BBQ’d Sweet Potoato, Baked Tofu
Natalie recently posted..Have you had your daily dose

45 jen May 30, 2011 at 8:18 am

I love blue point blueberry!! And also cherry raspberry from brown’s of course. Hurray for braving dinosaur! I haven’t been there yet!
jen recently posted..Dinner at Ala Shanghai

46 Emily @ Relishments May 30, 2011 at 7:31 pm

1. I only started drinking beer a year or so ago, but I’ve come to like Sam Adams Summer and Light, among others.

2. I love ice cream…I have to pick one favorite? How about mint chip?

3. Pork. Have you tried Naturally Delicious’ Barbecue sauce? It’s really good. http://www.cainsfoods.com/naturallydelicious.php
Emily @ Relishments recently posted..Highlights- The Incredible- Edible Egg

47 Mac May 30, 2011 at 10:47 pm

I’ve always wanted to try fried green tomatoes too! I hate tomatoes by themselves normally, but I think fried and dipped in something is would be alright since I’m sure it changes the texture a little. Looks like a gorgeous view to have your table at :)
Mac recently posted..Three Cheers for a Long Weekend!

48 Brittney May 31, 2011 at 7:58 am

I’m jealous of all your delicious looking beer options up there- I love fruity beer :) Can’t believe you haven’t tried fried green tomatoes til now! You MUST try them in a BLT! So good!
Brittney recently posted..The Weekend Rundown

49 Courtney May 31, 2011 at 9:21 am

Woah…that sounds AMAZING!!!

50 Kellie May 31, 2011 at 1:49 pm

LOVE Dinasour! We have one here in Rochester! Its just not right on the River like yours :(

51 Jen N May 31, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Sounds like an excellent day!

Favorite beer: Ommegang’s Hennepin. It’s a great summer beer, especially after a long, hot day.
Favorite ice cream: Love Snowman, but I also love the Peanut Butter Rice Krispy Treat Sundae at Country Drive-In, off exit 8, in Clifton Park. Mmm!
Favorite thing with BBQ sauce: Chicken, but I like Dinosaur’s Brisket & Bleu sandwich. I haven’t tried anything else there yet because I like it so much.

As a former Southern girl, I love fried green tomatoes and Dinosaur does them fairly well. I want to try them with goat cheese, and in a BLT after reading the other comments :)

52 Kate May 31, 2011 at 10:47 pm

That Blue Point Blueberry sounds delicious! I had a Blueberry Cider the other day and loved it but it’s too sweet to drink often.
Kate recently posted..peen-ya keen-wa

53 Courtney May 31, 2011 at 10:59 pm

blueberry cider?!?! Do you remember the brand???

54 Kate June 1, 2011 at 5:03 pm

It’s called VanderMill’s and it’s a local brand but who knows, they might be distributing farther than I think! They make really awesome ciders.
Kate recently posted..peen-ya keen-wa