What The Heck Happened?

This morning I woke up reeeeeeally excited.

Yes, I was “pumped” about going to BodyPump, which I did- along with 20 minutes of intervals on the elliptical. And yes, the grunter was there and was grunting her face off the entire class.

But what I was really excited about was what I left on the kitchen counter on the way out the door…

At 5:25am this morning, I whipped out my bread machine and prepared to have a warm, crusty loaf of bread waiting for me upon my return home. I used this Gluten Free Cinnamon Raisin Bread Mix that I received a few months ago from iHerb.com.

Well let me tell you, I thought about this bread during my entire BodyPump class.

FYI: Daydreaming about fresh baked bread while trying to concentrate on lunges is not a good idea. Almost tipped it over a few times…but anyways.

So by the time I got home and opened the door, I could smell it. Ohhh the aromas of fresh baked bread! Especially when we’re talkin’ cinnamon raisin. My timing was impeccable because within five minutes, my little machine went “beep beep beep,” alerting me that it was time to dig in.

So I ran right over,

opened up the lid,

grinning from ear to ear, AND…

Really? REALLY?!?

What the heck happened???

I mean, I thought I was done with the horrendous bread baking fiascos. It was supposed to be in the past! I’ve gotten much better at the whole bread baking thing, I swear. Thank goodness I at least have one loaf that I haven’t messed up

My one saving grace was that it came out of the pan in one piece; otherwise, I was ready to chuck it right into the garbage. Talk about one ugly lookin’ loaf of bread.

But seeing as though it came out clean, I figured I’d try to slice into it and investigate the party that was happenin’ inside. I could only imagine, judging from the outside.

But much to my surprise, the inside didn’t look half bad.

So since you already know that I hate wasting food, I decided to snag a couple nibbles, which deemed themselves worthy enough to have for breakfast. Who knew?!?

Then again, anything that’s covered with almond butter and banana will always be delicious, right? Winking smile

Oh, and in case you weren’t already impressed enough by my stellar bread baking skills, my ability to cut a slice of bread evenly is even better.

Along with my full slice, I had a couple other mini slices off of my nibbling piece, topped with a little more almond butter.

I’m going to go ahead and say that the first few bites I had of the bread were a little iffy. Since this is probably my first time trying gluten free bread, I wasn’t sure what to expect taste and/or texture wise. Top that with the fact that my bread baked atrociously, and well, you get my point.

But the more I ate of the bread, the more I liked it! It actually had a really good flavor to it, and as long as I stayed away from the top of the loaf (aka, where half the dry bread mix was still sitting) it was great!

Along with my disaster-turned-okay breakfast, I enjoyed a luke warm iced coffee. Yes, luke warm…Jay took the rest of the iced, brewed me another batch and put it in the freezer, but I was too antsy to wait any longer for it to really cool off. Sheesh.

Okay, so it wasn’t the smoothest breakfast on record, but I’d say it still turned out okay, wouldn’t you?

Now let’s just hope the rest of my day goes a little better than this. Winking smile

Question for the Day:

What was the last kitchen disaster you had happen to you?

I’m glad you got a little enjoyment out of it! Do you know what exactly went wrong?

We had a couple friends over awhile ago and I prepared a bundt cake. I forgot to add water to the recipe before I poured it into the pan. So I stirred the water into the batter – in the pan…and of course it stuck like crazy! But we enjoyed cake bites…it just wasn’t pretty!

• Courtney says

I have no idea what happened?!? Usually if I’m home, there’s a timer that goes off where you can take the little paddle out so I usually do that and re-shape the bread. I’m wondering if it would have been better had I been home to do that? Oh well!

ahhh I want cinnamon raisin bread I might have to get my bread maker out… loaves that dont turn out are the worst you wait for so long and anticipate as your house smells amazing !

As ugly as it looks, honestly it looks like it was yummy! One time I made a gorgeous, big and thick cheesecake for my husband on our anniversary. I pulled it out of the oven, perfect with no cracks. Wham! The bottom fell out of the springform pan and the cheesecake hit the floor and splattered everywhere. I actually cried!
    Tanya @ Sunday Baker recently posted..Chocolate Chip Cookie Balls

I can’t cook pasta without having the water over boil on me, and because we have a flat top stove it makes a huge mess and bakes to the top!
    Lindsey recently posted..Planted

5. Rachel says

Oh man. I really love the mixed dried berries you can get at Aldi or TJ’s, but I always pick out the strawberries first. So, I decided to try my hand at drying some myself. I found a recipe and adapted for our hotter than average oven. Apparently our oven runs SO hot that baking those things at a reduced temp and for HALF the time was still too much…instead of being dried, they were crispy, sticky and brown. Hubs and I made the mistake of tasting them…I swear the taste is still lingering on my tongue. Burned strawberry is definitely the grossest thing I’ve tasted recently! I think we’re going to get a dehydrator soon. :)

My husband and I are still trying to figure out how to our my bread machine to make proper looking bread on the outside. Our bread always tastes great but looks deflated–and we have friends with the same exact bread maker who make gorgeous fluffy bread! Who knew… Anyway, you’re not alone, Courtney!
    Lisa recently posted..Sunny Seed Stories 3- Sunny Seed Experiment

Aw man, I hate when things like that happen. I’m prone to quite a few kitchen disasters myself. To name a few: pavlova that stuck to the pan and never rose properly, bottom burnt cookies, butter cake that turned out more like rubber than cake.

Sometimes I find these mistakes humbling and other times I get so frustrated! It just makes me that much more determined to get it right the next time.
    Brooke @ bittersweetb recently posted..Coconut Meringues Dipped in Chocolate

8. Danica says

I (embarrassing) made a batch of cookies a few weeks ago and accidentally put in just one cup of flour instead of two. When the oven timer went off I pulled out a pan of just one newly-formed giant cookie! Whoops!
    I REALLY want to invest in a bread maker, what brand do you suggest?

• Courtney says

I really like my Cuisinart…it’s super easy to use…just ignore my inability to bake bread in it 😉

Despite your ‘review’, your brekkie is still totally calling out to me! My last kitchen disaster involved a recipe for chickpea blondies that I found in the blog world! Put it this way: chickpeas are for houmous and butter is for blondies!
    Khushboo recently posted..23 years wiser

My last disaster was on Sunday night when I tried to make buttercream frosting for my cupcakes. I used the Smart Balance Light butter I had which must’ve been wrong because the stuff was more soup than frosting. Fail.
    Krissie J recently posted..Seeing Green

11. CK says

I tried making peach cobbler for the first time from scratch. Only thing is I didn’t have baking powder and couldn’t get a hold of my mom or my aunt to ask about substitutes, etc. My not much younger sister Jessie, who does do a little more cooking than me, tells me to substitute baking soda but in half the amount. Yeah, no. The cobbler came out picture perfect. Even passed the sniff test. But the first mouthful was like Arm and Hammer toothpaste. That is the last time I’ll listen to any baking advice from Jessie.

OOHH I adore this post! That bread looks so funny, I love it!!! My food always looks pretty ugly, especially my baked goods :/
    I don’t remember my last fail..the last batch of muffins I baked weren’t stellar, although my mum and stepdad have already eaten 6 in 24hrs!

I think you are selling yourself short by using the bread machine. You would be shocked how easy it is to make your own bread by hand. I was actually mad at myself when I realized I could have been doing it all along. I have some great and REALLY easy bread recipes if you’re interested…

I even made my own hamburger buns the other day! So yummy!

I highly suggest starting out using “Artisan Bread in Five Minutes A Day”. Once you get comfortable you’ll be making all kinds of delicious breads by hand without batting an eyelash.

My last kitchen disaster was when I used a cedar plank on the grill and even after soaking it for more than an hour (per the directions), it managed to start on FIRE and ruin my dinner!!! I wasn’t happy when I had to throw out all that expensive meat!
    Farrah recently posted..Balsamic Round Steak with Grilled Sweet Potatoes

I always have trouble cooking loaf breads for some reason and always end up undercooking them :( I’m glad you were able to salvage something out of it!
    Emily recently posted..Confessions

I didn’t know Bob’s had cinnamon raisin bread mix!! Gonna hafta check that out. And I can’t standddd grunters at the gym! I guess you can use it as motivation?

Last week my sister and I baked 4 dozen cupcakes worth of batter and then realized we forgot the dry mixture… it was disappointing beyond belief. At least they were “brownie” cupcakes, so leaving out the dry mix left us with brownie-like “cupcakes”! It ended up not being too bad of a disaster 😉

Oh my…where do I begin with cooking disasters?! Anything that I make with friends is a cooking disaster! (Side note, I’m 19 so I’m not very skilled in the cooking/baking department). One time, my (non-Indian) friend and I (also not Indian) tried to make an Indian dish. One of the funniest moments of my life. Still ate it, though. Looked awful, tasted pretty good. I think you should always try your creation. Worse case scenario? You throw it out. Best case scenario? You have the perfect homemade treat!
    Kayleigh recently posted..Did the sun come out

haha never judge a book by it’s cover! or in this case don’t judge the taste by it’s looks. 😀 I’ve never tried to make bread in a bread maker but I think you’ve just inspired me to give it a go!
    My WORST kitchen fiasco was when I spilled a pumpkin pie in the oven oops! but recently I tried to use peanut flour in my donuts and that was a big old fail :(
    Alexis recently posted..What happens if

haha awww what a bummer!! well that bread actually looks pretty delicious! i’m glad it ended up tasting alright! :)
    my last kitchen disaster was this morning when i stuck my oatmeal in the microwave because i was too impatient to wait for it to cook on the stove…and it definitely overflowed ALL over the microwave. fail!
    Jordan recently posted..Currently Obsessed With…

I tried to make your crabcakes last night – um, I have NO IDEA what happened but they were awful! I think my pieces of crab were too big, they didn’t form nice cakes, and it was too hot to turn on the oven so I tried to grilled them. Oh my, now I’m craving good crabcakes so…

Im definitely going to try again!
    Samantha recently posted..Another Missed Workout Day 16

I love love fresh made bread.. some how brings back memories of childhood when my mom would make whole wheat bread in the over.. and the smell of the bread with a little smear of butter. yumm! i dont have room right now for all those fun gadgets… cannot wait.

my last kitchen disasters were banana muffins.. i dont know why .. they just didnt taste good… also tried to make cranberry bars.. also not so good! i was just experimenting sooo.. just gonna keep trying. just got the cook book- 100 recipes every woman should know – and made some yummy cupcakes.. going to keep trying! :)
    Hannah recently posted..Monday Morning Struggles

I had to laugh about the cutting the bread evenly, I cannot cut ANYTHING evenly…bread, tomatoes, onions, nothing! Used to drive my ex nuts with that! my last cooking disaster…a cake that I have no clue what happened but it looked wonderful on outside and when I put another tier on top of it the whole thing sunk and crumbled :(
    Tara Burner recently posted..So- you say you have no time to make dinner

• Courtney says

Don’t be scared! It’s an AMAZING class!!! Get someone to go with you if you’re nervous…that will help a lot with anxiety. That’s what I did for my first class, and it was a HUGE help!

Almond butter makes everything better, that’s for sure!

I made homemade pizza a few weeks ago, and the crust stuck to the bottom of the pan – completely tore in half! It ended up being a half-crust pizza…mainly just toppings.
    Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles recently posted..Sonoma Wine

24. Shayla says

Well, this isn’t really a “food” catastrophe….but our house is on the market and to reduce our kitchen clutter our realtor suggests we put our toaster in the oven to hide it….yeah well space cadet me forgot the other night that it was in the oven, turned it on, and it started to smell the delicious scent of burnt rubber, haha! Luckily I caught it in time and I saved the toaster, otherwise it would have been a hot mess!

Btw, where did you get that fruit holder?! So cute and I’ve been wanting to get something cute like that to hold my bananas! :)

my recent kitchen disaster isssss that i forgot to put baking soda in my banana cupcakes that i had talked up all week long–resulting in the saddest memorial day cupcakes ever! and it was the best chocolate frosting that i’d ever made! totally wasted in the garbage :( painful!

your bread doesn’t look TOO bad though! Maybe it was the mix? But, as long as it tastest good, who cares! I eat some scary looking lunches sometimes hahaha!