Orange Cream Soda Pop Cupcakes

I’ve always liked the flavor orange.

While other flavors like raspberry and strawberry have usually reigned supreme in most flavor face-offs, goodies like orange skittles, orange-flavored water spritzers, and orange sherbet have always proven tasty for my sweet tooth.

However, out of all the orange-flavored goodies out there, there have always been two that hold a special place in my heart. One of those is orange soda.

Did anyone else ever watch Kenan & Kel? Remember the “Kel loves orange soda” skit?

Well, I think I loved orange soda just as much as he did. Granted, I didn’t drink as much as he did, and I’ll only drink it on occasion now, but it’s still a welcomed treat.

Another thing I’ve always loved? Orange creamsicles. Growing up, we actually used to get these orange push-up pops from what we referred to as “The Schwan Man.” He would drive through our neighborhood with his truck and deliver the coveted creamy pops that we enjoyed on warm summer days in between playing games of hide & seek and riding bikes.

So now that the weather has started to heat up, and considering my immense love for cupcakes, it only seemed logical to recreate my favorite flavor in cupcake form.

Who’s with me?

Upon first bite, my #1 taste-tester (aka, hubby) gave a huge roll of the eyes, followed with a “Oh my god, Courtney, they actually taste like a real creamsicle.” Coming from him, this is quite a compliment, since he’s usually pretty low-key with his praise.

As usual, these baked goods were brought in with hubby to share with his co-workers. I’ve since been told that these are now the top favorite, which have jumped the rankings from this original #1 batch.

And just in case you didn’t notice, did you realize that these guys are healthified? Not much (I mean, they are still cupcakes with frosting and all), but a few simple tweaks helped make these slightly less guilt-laden.

But no worries, my friends! Just in case you’re still worried (because, I promise, they are addicting…) bake ‘em up with a little built-in portion control…

Mini cupcakes are always a hit and taste just as good as the big guys.

Just don’t say I didn’t warn you about trying to twice as many…you know…because they’re mini.

Question for the Morning:

What is your favorite “flavor” of treats (i.e., orange, strawberry, grape, etc.)?

Comments

I can’t believe this is your post today!! I went to Good Burger in NYC this weekend and we kept talking about keenan and kel and the orange soda! Also we bought a creamsicle cupcake from Crumbs!! Too funny!!

Those cupcakes look amazing! Great job! I can’t wait to make them for my husband who loves orange pop! Orange really isn’t my favorite, I’m more of a cherry and blue raspberry girl :)

Who loves Orange Soda? Kel loves orange soda. I do I do I do-ooooooo. : ) Yes I remember.

These look delishious. Love orange cream soda with vanilla ice cream!

WOWZA. Those are beautiful cupcakes!! I totally remember Kel & his undying love for orange soda. Gotta love ALL THAT!

I’ll definitely be trying the cream pop frosting soon. Any reason you choose Neufchatel over fat free cream cheese?

My favorite flavor of treats is usually the cherry or strawberry option in a bag of skittles/starbursts. Whatever the “red” one is. How typical, right?
    Lauren @ Sugar Coated Sisters recently posted..Squashed

• Courtney says

I never really use fat free cream cheese…I think the flavor is too different and the texture gets thrown a little off (in my experience!) :)

I did notice that they were healthified :) They look yummy! I was never a fan of creamsicles growing up for some reason, odd because most kids loved them!
    My favorite flavor I think would be raspberry!

You are so creative with your cupcakes! I can’t wait to try these out! I know Craig’s co-workers will be much appreciative- they have a strong LOVE for all of your cupcake recipes– especially the chocolate chip cookie dough ones- quite a HIT! 😀
    Oh, I meant to ask you- did you find your Old Navy capris?
    Holly recently posted..First Bump in the Honeymoon

Wow! All I can say is wow! I remember orange creamsicles from when I was a kid way back when. It was indeed a treat when the ice cream truck came down the street and mom would let us get one. I can’t wait to make these!

8. Krysten says

These look awesome! I’m planning on making these for the 4th, but I’m worried about the frosting because we’ll be outside and I’m afraid it will melt. Do you have any suggestions/alternatives?

• Courtney says

Maybe put them in the freezer overnight the night before? Take them out shortly before the party?
      Or, you could always put whatever container you’re keeping them in on ice?

9. Roshonda Lewis says

Hello, I love your website! I’ve been looking into getting one… I wanted to know you designed your cartoon.

Hello (again) Courtney,
    I know that this post has nothing to do with today’s (Fri June 7th), but over on your margin under “Favorites” was this feature of these Orange Soda Cupcakes and I couldn’t resist not checking out this recipe. I am going to make these within the next month. I have a question for you though….
    Do you own one of those cupcake frosting “squeezers” (which makes both the orange and white the frosting on these look so professional)? If so, what kind/brand and do you remember where you got it?
    Thank you!