Orange Cream Soda Pop Cupcakes

by Courtney on June 13, 2011

I’ve always liked the flavor orange.

While other flavors like raspberry and strawberry have usually reigned supreme in most flavor face-offs, goodies like orange skittles, orange-flavored water spritzers, and orange sherbet have always proven tasty for my sweet tooth.

However, out of all the orange-flavored goodies out there, there have always been two that hold a special place in my heart. One of those is orange soda.

Did anyone else ever watch Kenan & Kel? Remember the “Kel loves orange soda” skit?

Well, I think I loved orange soda just as much as he did. Granted, I didn’t drink as much as he did, and I’ll only drink it on occasion now, but it’s still a welcomed treat.

Another thing I’ve always loved? Orange creamsicles. Growing up, we actually used to get these orange push-up pops from what we referred to as “The Schwan Man.” He would drive through our neighborhood with his truck and deliver the coveted creamy pops that we enjoyed on warm summer days in between playing games of hide & seek and riding bikes.

So now that the weather has started to heat up, and considering my immense love for cupcakes, it only seemed logical to recreate my favorite flavor in cupcake form.

Who’s with me?

Upon first bite, my #1 taste-tester (aka, hubby) gave a huge roll of the eyes, followed with a “Oh my god, Courtney, they actually taste like a real creamsicle.” Coming from him, this is quite a compliment, since he’s usually pretty low-key with his praise.

As usual, these baked goods were brought in with hubby to share with his co-workers. I’ve since been told that these are now the top favorite, which have jumped the rankings from this original #1 batch.

And just in case you didn’t notice, did you realize that these guys are healthified? Not much (I mean, they are still cupcakes with frosting and all), but a few simple tweaks helped make these slightly less guilt-laden.

But no worries, my friends! Just in case you’re still worried (because, I promise, they are addicting…) bake ‘em up with a little built-in portion control…

Mini cupcakes are always a hit and taste just as good as the big guys.

Just don’t say I didn’t warn you about trying to twice as many…you know…because they’re mini.

Question for the Morning:

What is your favorite “flavor” of treats (i.e., orange, strawberry, grape, etc.)?

1 Khushboo June 13, 2011 at 10:53 am

These look great! First thing that came to mind when I saw the title was Kel! Faavorite flavor treats are a toss-off between orange, grape, or blue raspberry!
Khushboo recently posted..23 years wiser

2 Kim June 13, 2011 at 10:54 am

Adorable! I love the little straw also. You are too clever!
Kim recently posted..Captain Mack

3 Brittney June 13, 2011 at 10:57 am

Those look awesome Courtney! I’m so glad I’m not the only one who ate orange push pops from the Swchans man! Totally remember those, and the root beer float popsicles!
Brittney recently posted..Taste of Charlotte

4 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles June 13, 2011 at 11:01 am

I immediately thought of Kenan & Kel when you mentioned orange soda – oh, childhood shows!

These look wonderful – the little straw is a cute addition.

5 Kendall (On An Inhale) June 13, 2011 at 11:04 am

I can’t believe this is your post today!! I went to Good Burger in NYC this weekend and we kept talking about keenan and kel and the orange soda! Also we bought a creamsicle cupcake from Crumbs!! Too funny!!

6 Krissie J June 13, 2011 at 11:06 am

I was planning to make your cookie dough cupcakes, but I think I might try these first instead! And, I LOVED Keenan & Kel. :D
Krissie J recently posted..I &lt3 NY

7 Shari @ Chicago Cuisine Critique June 13, 2011 at 11:17 am

These look so cute!
Shari @ Chicago Cuisine Critique recently posted..Saturday Morning Scene

8 TheBloggersBrother June 13, 2011 at 11:22 am

SOOO GOOOOOODDDDD

9 Cait @ UrbanFencepost June 13, 2011 at 11:26 am

Oh my goodness, those are the cutest things ever!!
Cait @ UrbanFencepost recently posted..Weekend Update

10 Lauren June 13, 2011 at 11:32 am

Those cupcakes look amazing! Great job! I can’t wait to make them for my husband who loves orange pop! Orange really isn’t my favorite, I’m more of a cherry and blue raspberry girl :)

11 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 13, 2011 at 11:37 am

Your post brings back so many childhood memories!!! I used to be obsessed with creamsicles and sunkist soda…

These are definitely going on my must bake list :)
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..This Weekend

12 Kody June 13, 2011 at 11:40 am

Who loves Orange Soda? Kel loves orange soda. I do I do I do-ooooooo. : ) Yes I remember.

These look delishious. Love orange cream soda with vanilla ice cream!

13 Melissa June 13, 2011 at 11:45 am

These have fruit, so I’d probably have to go ahead and eat them for breakfast. ;)

14 Karen June 13, 2011 at 11:55 am

Those looks amazing!! I love Cherry & Grape flavors as well.

15 Cute~Ella June 13, 2011 at 11:58 am

So cute!

I might try this with root beer flavor…

My favorite is grape. Hands down grape.
Cute~Ella recently posted..Helpful Hints- Decorating with Sprinkles

16 Colleen June 13, 2011 at 12:06 pm

The cupcakes are so cute–love the straws! I haven’t thought of Kenan and Kel for years! Too funny.

17 Lindsay June 13, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Oh wow, those look absolutely amazing. I may have to break into the baking world so I can have some yummy things like those!

18 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl June 13, 2011 at 12:20 pm

whoooah this recipe is incredible. Your baking recipes are my favorite! Now I just need to do one of them. You should healthify cake pops. I tried this weekend and it was mission fail. Check out the twitter page for a sad little pic. My fave flavor is chocolate. Does that count??
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy” Girl recently posted..NYRR Mini 10K-Sometimes Healthy Fun Run Race Recap

19 Shana June 15, 2011 at 8:13 pm

Hungry girl did a healthified version of cake pops!

Shana recently posted..Making a Scene

20 Cara @ EAT. PRAY. RUN. June 13, 2011 at 12:24 pm

These are so precious!!! Is it strange to call a cupcake precious? ;) Love the cream soda idea…I have been making popsicles out of greek yogurt and OJ to get that flavor…SO yummy!
Cara @ EAT. PRAY. RUN. recently posted..Unplanned- Planned Time Off

21 Lauren @ Sugar Coated Sisters June 13, 2011 at 12:25 pm

WOWZA. Those are beautiful cupcakes!! I totally remember Kel & his undying love for orange soda. Gotta love ALL THAT!

I’ll definitely be trying the cream pop frosting soon. Any reason you choose Neufchatel over fat free cream cheese?

My favorite flavor of treats is usually the cherry or strawberry option in a bag of skittles/starbursts. Whatever the “red” one is. How typical, right?
Lauren @ Sugar Coated Sisters recently posted..Squashed

22 Courtney June 13, 2011 at 4:57 pm

I never really use fat free cream cheese…I think the flavor is too different and the texture gets thrown a little off (in my experience!) :)

23 Lindsey June 13, 2011 at 12:29 pm

I did notice that they were healthified :) They look yummy! I was never a fan of creamsicles growing up for some reason, odd because most kids loved them!
My favorite flavor I think would be raspberry!

24 Emmarie @ Bananas and Beer June 13, 2011 at 1:29 pm

They’re adorable. I can’t wait to make them!
Emmarie @ Bananas and Beer recently posted..Summer Yummies!!

25 Danielle Spellman(The Urban Squirrel) June 13, 2011 at 1:31 pm

I’m not a fan of orange flavored anything, besides oranges and orange juice lol, but these look SO good! My favorite flavor would probably be strawberry, apple or banana..depending on what it is. :)
Danielle Spellman(The Urban Squirrel) recently posted..Food-makin Sunday

26 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 13, 2011 at 1:31 pm

I actually hated orange soda (still do) but I love creamsicles :)
I usually stick to strawberry stuff when it’s flavored. It tastes the least artificial to me.

27 Kelly June 13, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Oh my goodness…the orange push pops were always my favorite thing to order from the ice cream truck!!
Kelly recently posted..the hill of life…alternatively titled help me

28 Danielle Spellman(The Urban Squirrel) June 13, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Danielle Spellman(The Urban Squirrel) recently posted..Food-makin Sunday

29 Alyssa - fashion fitness foodie June 13, 2011 at 2:27 pm

i love the added straw!! i always go for strawberry :)
Alyssa – fashion fitness foodie recently posted..Good Start- Bad Ending

30 Sarah June 13, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Hahah every time I drink orange soda I do the Keenan and Kel quote… I’m such a child. These look GREAT for summer!

31 Stephanie @ StephSnacks June 13, 2011 at 2:38 pm

I would have to say strawberry would be my favorite flavors, although those cupcakes make me want to change my mind! I love orange soda, too!
Stephanie @ StephSnacks recently posted..A Wedding in Pictures Part 1

32 Erin @ Naturally Addicted June 13, 2011 at 2:42 pm

OMG these look To-Die-For!! Anything with orange and I am sold…I have to try these out soon! Thanks for sharing.
Erin @ Naturally Addicted recently posted..Just Roll with It

33 Leanne (Bride to Mrs.) June 13, 2011 at 2:51 pm

These look amazing! :)
Leanne (Bride to Mrs.) recently posted..TGIF

34 Erica June 13, 2011 at 3:22 pm

those look so good!
i love creamsicles!
strawberry is my ultimate favorite “flavor”! (and pineapple and lemon too)

35 Holly June 13, 2011 at 3:46 pm

You are so creative with your cupcakes! I can’t wait to try these out! I know Craig’s co-workers will be much appreciative- they have a strong LOVE for all of your cupcake recipes– especially the chocolate chip cookie dough ones- quite a HIT! :D
Oh, I meant to ask you- did you find your Old Navy capris?
Holly recently posted..First Bump in the Honeymoon

36 Courtney June 13, 2011 at 4:55 pm

Not yet…but hopefully soon!

37 Emily June 13, 2011 at 4:00 pm

those are so pretty! We seriously need to plan a date to bake and decorate cupcakes when its not a million degrees outside :)
Emily recently posted..a week of fashion in pictures

38 Andrea (Run. Learn. Repeat.) June 13, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Those look so cute! Perfect summer dessert. My favorite treat flavor is strawberry.
Andrea (Run. Learn. Repeat.) recently posted..GIVEAWAY and Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred Review!

39 Kelsey @ a piece of kelsey June 13, 2011 at 4:21 pm

How cute!! Are those real straws? Or some kind of candy? I’m going to have to try making these! Ps- still working on the capris!! :)
Kelsey @ a piece of kelsey recently posted..Oh Hey Monday!

40 Courtney June 13, 2011 at 4:55 pm

They’re real straws :)

41 Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) June 13, 2011 at 4:41 pm

I loved watching Kenan and Kel!! Definitely a childhood favorite :D Those orange cupcakes look delish :)

42 Laura @ LauraLikesDesign June 13, 2011 at 5:10 pm

How cute–I love the little straws!

My favorite flavor is usually raspberry or lemon.
Laura @ LauraLikesDesign recently posted..Im in the Club Grocery Staples

43 tina @ vanillandspice June 13, 2011 at 6:02 pm

I loved those orange push up pops! I was obsessed with them. Orange creamsicles were also a favorite, so I can imagine how much I would love these cupcakes.
They look adorable.
tina @ vanillandspice recently posted..Guess What I Got!

44 Amber @ Stop and Smell the Wildflowers June 13, 2011 at 6:17 pm

Awesome!!! These will be perfect for the baby shower I’m helping with next month. Thanks!

And I pretty much like any red or orange flavors (cherry, watermelon, strawberry, orange, etc.). Hate grape!
Amber @ Stop and Smell the Wildflowers recently posted..Gettin’ Muddy

45 Keely (Sky Blue) June 13, 2011 at 6:22 pm

So cute!! What a fun idea. I was just thinking about Creamsicles the other day, remembering stuff I used to love as a kid :)
Keely (Sky Blue) recently posted..june 12 for the grads

46 Julie @SavvyEats June 13, 2011 at 7:07 pm

Dan LOVES orange cream soda flavored treats, so I will definitely have to make these for him!
Julie @SavvyEats recently posted..The Little Things- Courtney- 61311

47 Lisa @ I'm an Okie June 13, 2011 at 11:38 pm

oh you have outdone yourself this time!

48 Sarah June 15, 2011 at 9:29 am

I am 100% making these asap! Thanks for the recipes they sound great and look so cute!
Sarah recently posted..Foot Massage

49 Paula @ Cookware Cooking June 15, 2011 at 5:44 pm

Wow! All I can say is wow! I remember orange creamsicles from when I was a kid way back when. It was indeed a treat when the ice cream truck came down the street and mom would let us get one. I can’t wait to make these!

50 Shana June 15, 2011 at 7:59 pm

I friggin loved push pops from the Schwann’s Man! I practically chased him down the street!
Shana recently posted..Making a Scene

51 Krysten June 27, 2011 at 2:01 pm

These look awesome! I’m planning on making these for the 4th, but I’m worried about the frosting because we’ll be outside and I’m afraid it will melt. Do you have any suggestions/alternatives?

52 Courtney June 27, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Maybe put them in the freezer overnight the night before? Take them out shortly before the party?
Or, you could always put whatever container you’re keeping them in on ice?

53 Carissa August 19, 2011 at 9:33 am

Making these today. It will be my first time ever making cupcakes and frosting! Wish me luck!
Carissa recently posted..Thinking Thursday- Where’s the blueberries?

54 Roshonda Lewis September 9, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Hello, I love your website! I’ve been looking into getting one… I wanted to know you designed your cartoon.

55 Amy June 7, 2013 at 8:06 pm

Hello (again) Courtney,
I know that this post has nothing to do with today’s (Fri June 7th), but over on your margin under “Favorites” was this feature of these Orange Soda Cupcakes and I couldn’t resist not checking out this recipe. I am going to make these within the next month. I have a question for you though….
Do you own one of those cupcake frosting “squeezers” (which makes both the orange and white the frosting on these look so professional)? If so, what kind/brand and do you remember where you got it?
Thank you!
~Amy

56 Courtney June 8, 2013 at 9:51 am

Haha yep I do! I believe it’s Wilton brand. The tips I used were a large round and a medium star. Good luck!

57 Amy June 8, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Hello Courtney,
Great! Thank you very much! I’ll check them out on Amazon!
~Amy :-)
Amy recently posted..Taking A Break…Or An Ending…