Quick Transitions From Vacation Mode

by Courtney on June 19, 2011

After a week long vacation, full of indulgent treats and little exercise, I was more than ready to head back to the gym this morning. This surprised me, actually, because it usually takes me a little while to transition back to “normal life” after returning from vacation…but today, my body was ready to move.

I made it to the gym with plenty of time to spare before my class, so I hopped on the treadmill for some intervals that looked a little like this:

Minutes Speed (mph) Incline (%)
0-5 4.0 Warm Up 8.0
5-6 Run @ 8.0 1.5
6-7 Walk @ 4.5 1.5
7-25 Repeat run / walk intervals 1.5
25-30 4.0 Cool Down 8.0

I was a mess by the time I was finished…the gym was like a sweatbox today!

I followed up my treadmill intervals with a BodyPump class, which was another round of the new BodyPump 78 Release that I really like. And wow, let me tell you…after taking a week off, the class seemed sooooo much tougher. I think I’m gonna be feelin’ it tomorrow.

*********

By the time I returned home, I had approximately 35 minutes to shower, get dressed, and get ready to meet Jay’s parents for a Father’s Day brunch. Surprisingly enough, I made it on time…and trust me, I usually take longer than 35 minutes to get ready!

I’m sure the fact that we were heading to one of my favorite breakfast spots had a little something to do with it. Winking smile

Jay & his Dad

To start, I immediately got myself an iced coffee with skim milk and a splash of cream (it’s my new obsession).

For breakfast, I ordered one of their omelet specials made with egg whites, which was filled with peppers, sun-dried tomatoes, spinach, and swiss cheese. It also came with a side of toast (rye, dry for me) and home fries.

The home fries were actually a little too spicy for my liking today, so I passed them along to anyone else at the table who wanted them.

The omelet, however, was phenomenal. You guys already know that I don’t like a lot of cheese in my omelets, and they once again got my order perfect with just a hint of the gooey stuff in the center.

This thing was massive, so I decided to forego one of my slices of toast in favor of dominating the rest of this bad boy. Which I did…like a starving maniac with style and class.

This breakfast was suuuuper filling, but it was quite nice to have a little change of pace with the omelet. It’s been a while since I’ve had anything but cereal or bagels for breakfast!

*********

This afternoon, we’re headed over to my parents’ house so I can spend the day with the World’s Greatest Dad (<—if you want a good Cody laugh, you should definitely check out that old post!)

DSC00964

By the way, even though I’m sure there aren’t too many that read STSL, Happy Father’s Day to all the Dads out there! Hope you have a super special day!

Question for the Day:

How long does it usually take you to transition out of “vacation mode” and back to normal life?

1 Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) June 19, 2011 at 1:41 pm

oh gosh its SO hard for me! usually takes 2 days but that first night is the worst! esp after the summer becuz that means.. school:(

2 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 19, 2011 at 1:50 pm

When it comes to exercise, I always transition really easily. Whenever I don’t exercise for a long time, I can’t wait to exercise! But in terms of getting up early and working, It always takes forever to adjust.

Have a great time with your fathers :)
Liv @ The Salty n’ Sweet recently posted..Alternatives

3 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) June 19, 2011 at 2:06 pm

I think it takes me a full week to transition! I spend every day saying “last week at this time I was…” After about a week, I move on :)
Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) recently posted..Banana Bread in a Can

4 Lindsay June 19, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Cute pic of you and your dad! It depends on when I get back from a vacay. If it’s in the morning then I usually transition pretty quickly because I always have stuff to do that day. If it’s at night, then I may take a little longer haha. But I always want to get a good workout in asap. Oh, and that omelet looks delicious- I think I just started salivating a little :)

5 Lisa June 19, 2011 at 2:31 pm

I pay special attention to the firsts (the first meal back, workout back). If I start out well, it is easier to get momentum going and get back into the groove of regular life.
Lisa recently posted..Snacks that are not Sunny Seeds but are still Very Good 3

6 Liz @ Tip Top Shape June 19, 2011 at 3:19 pm

I’m usually happy to get back to my usual eats and lifestyle. I don’t feel my best when I eat heavy and I always do that when I’m on vacation.
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..In Love

7 Sarah June 19, 2011 at 3:23 pm

That omelet looks delish! I usually start mentally prepping myself on the way home from a vacation, that way by the time I get home I’m a little sad, but ready to get back to the swing of things

8 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries June 19, 2011 at 3:30 pm

We had the same breakfast today! Even down to the dry rye toast! :)
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..The Lazy Day

9 erica June 19, 2011 at 4:04 pm

that was such a cute cody-blog!

hope you’re having a great day w/your dad!

it takes me awhile to transition. usually because i’m fighting it. lol

10 Liz @ iheartvegetables June 19, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Yummm that omelet looks good! I went to a new brunch place yesterday and they got juuust the right about of cheese in my eggs. Perfecto!
Liz @ iheartvegetables recently posted..Thank You Dad…

11 Lee @ in the pink of condition June 19, 2011 at 4:44 pm

I always do a run/sprint interval workout, never a walk/sprint interval workout…I gotta try it now! :-)
Lee @ in the pink of condition recently posted..You dont know what youve got til its gone

12 Niki (Life's a Payne) June 19, 2011 at 5:12 pm

It doesn’t take me long to transition from vacation at all! But if I have had people over for a visit and we ate poorly then I have a hard time! My house is always still full of food that I bought for others!

Great pic of you and your dad!
Niki (Life’s a Payne) recently posted..For Dad!

13 Gloria June 19, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Transitioning from vacation to reality is always tough…it takes me awhile, but once I unpack, I feel like I’m officially back to reality. Perhaps that’s why I always put off unpacking until the absolute latest possible time!

That Cody post was hilarious…that cat is too clever. I also wouldn’t be surprised if he had a margarita or two while you were out this afternoon!

Also, just a quick note…I saw an OBX bumper sticker the other day (while you were posting about your trip there) and I thought it was kind of funny because without your blog, there’s no way I would’ve known what it was :)

14 Courtney June 19, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Hahaha, that’s too funny! I never used to know what it was either until I started going!

15 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy June 19, 2011 at 8:17 pm

It depends on how long I am away, but if I’m gone for a week, it usually takes me about a week to get back into a normal routine!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..Dad’s Day

16 Cait @ Urban Fencepost June 19, 2011 at 9:20 pm

When I get back from vacation, I usually just need one day to get back into my routine. A day to unpack, do laundry, and get all sorted out.
Cait @ Urban Fencepost recently posted..Weekend End

17 Khushboo June 19, 2011 at 11:31 pm

After a holiday, I snap back into reality almost immediately! I hate putting it of so i start unpacking as soon as I reach home. As for food and exercise, I am normally itching to get back into routine! Yes that means I’m a weirdo who craves sweat and veggies!
Khushboo recently posted..23 years wiser

18 Yolie @ Practising Wellness June 20, 2011 at 7:44 am

Your workout looks great! Congrats on the speedy transition – bet it feels great! I did intervals today and absolutely love them, cause they really spice up your workout – no boredom, that’s for sure! :-)
Your father-in-law brunch looked delicious – in America you guys seem to have such amazing breakfist restaurants! I’ve never really had that in my little English town, but it looks SO fun! Brunch = awesome…I really want to go eat out for it one day. Omlettes and pancakes? Yes please, lol! ;-)
I usually jump right back into the swing of things post vacation…it feels so good to get back to the gym when you haven’t been for a while, you know? (just like it feels sooo good to take a break from it on vacation too, because you’re busy with other holiday activities)…Getting that balance feels really rad :-) xyx
Yolie @ Practising Wellness recently posted..Wholefoods Heaven -

19 Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers June 20, 2011 at 10:25 am

Haha, it probably takes me too long to make that transition!!

That omelet looks superb, I’d almost ALWAYS give up some toast for more of an omelet! Also, so jealous you get to spend time with your daddio on his day! Makes me happy I’ll get to see mine soon, though.
Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Six Pack Sunday