Candy In A Cup + A Mini Cody Video

by Courtney on June 28, 2011

You guys remember yesterday’s lunch?

IMG_5097IMG_5095

Oh gosh, that was amazing. Well, unfortunately, it wreaked havoc on my stomach until the time I went to bed last night. Seriously, what is my DEAL?

My guess is that it had to be too much dairy (cheese x2?), because I’ve had that amount of fruit before with no problems.

Either way, not cool.

So today, I decided to go another route…

A smoothie it was! Today’s Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Smoothie inspiration comes courtesy of my blog twin, Julie.

• 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • 1 scoop chocolate Whey protein powder
  • 1 tbsp peanut butter
  • 1 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1 frozen banana
  • 1 container prunes baby food (<—totally random, right? Well I had it here and figured it’d be a good way to squeeze in some extra nutrients)
  • 5 ice cubes
  • 1 pinch xanthan gum (for thickening)

You know you’ve got a good, thick smoothie on your hands when your straw can stick straight up in it.

IMG_5134IMG_5137

This smoothie totally tasted like I chocolate peanut butter cup, only in liquid form. Yes, like candy in a cup. No joke. And I loved the fact that I couldn’t taste the prunes at all…they’re so sneaky.

On the side, I also snacked on half of a tortilla filled with some Low Fat PB spread.

Some of you have asked how the spread holds up, and I will say that it’s done quite well. I keep it at room temp in a plastic storage container with a locking, sealable lid, and it’s been great.

I’m actually planning on eating some smaller meals/snacks throughout the afternoon because Jay and I won’t be eating dinner until closer to 8:00pm tonight. Our friends, Joe & Kate, are coming over for a double dinner date, and I’ve got one of my favorite recipes EVER ready to go in the crockpot!

I can’t wait until I get to dig in. Smile

*****

For Your Viewing Pleasure!

Please pay no attention to my terrible video taking skills, but this morning I ended up taking a quick video of me and the Codester playing fetch.

Cody Playing Fetch

He begged me to put it up…he says it will make you guys love him even more. Winking smile

Question for the Afternoon:

What time do you typically eat dinner on a weeknight?

Jay and I usually like to eat anywhere between 6-7pm, but if we have a good enough excuse (i.e., friends coming to visit) then we’ll make it earlier or later.

1 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles June 28, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Since my husband is in graduate school, the time we have dinner varies each quarter. He’s only taking one class this summer, so we’re starting to get into a routine of having dinner around 6:30. I grew up having dinner at 5pm every day though – which now I realize is pretty early!

2 Victoria (District Chocoholic) June 28, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Wait, why did you have baby food sitting around? I hope there’s a good story there

3 Courtney June 28, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Hahaha…nooo no no. Prunes are good to bake with! :)

4 Corey @ Family Fresh Meals June 28, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Hey girl! Your chicken looks great…. and I had to share a recent recipe post of mine. You will love this and it adds some veggies to that pulled chicken which I know is up your alley! Check it out :
Super yummy & easy!
Hope you have a wonderful day!
XO

5 Courtney June 28, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Oh my gosh, Corey, my husband would LOVE this!! Thanks so much for sharing :)

6 Julie @ PBFingers June 28, 2011 at 1:48 pm

I AM MAKING THIS TONIGHT!!!! Looks amazing!!

7 Julie @ PBFingers June 28, 2011 at 1:48 pm

thanks for tweeting about it, courtney!

8 Corey @ Family Fresh Meals June 28, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Thanks ladies! It is soooo good, easy & the perfect healthy summer meal. Julie…. if you do make it tonight, please do let me know how it turns out :)
XO

9 Julie @ PBFingers June 28, 2011 at 2:07 pm

i just put everything in the crock pot, but i’m nervous because my worcestchire sauce expired in 2008… :/ we’ll see how it goes! ha!

10 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health June 28, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Awww that video of Cody is adorable! I can’t wait to see Cooper on Thursday :). He loves to fetch ribbons and then he’ll come runny back and make this weird crying/meowing noise with it still in his mouth haha. I like to eat dinner around 6. Although sometimes its earlier because I tend to get insanely hungry :).

11 Krissie J June 28, 2011 at 1:25 pm

I try to have dinner ready for us during the week by 8pm at the latest, but sometimes we end up eating later. I love the kitty fetch videos. I took one of my kitty Aki. She goes after mousies when tossed down the stairs. If you’re interested, you can watch it here – http://youtu.be/giEJrJ5lfqU :)

12 Courtney June 28, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Awwwwww, what a cutie!!! :)

13 Silvia @ skinny jeans food June 28, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Cute Cody video! I wish my cats would actually RETURN the fetch toy…. what a good cat!

I think both fruits (sugars!) and dairy (protein) are tough to digest at the same time (–>gas), this is why fruit and almond milk smoothies are a lot easier on the stomach. .

14 Faith @ lovelyascharged June 28, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Sneaking baby food into smoothies is kinda brilliant – I’ll have to try that with some of the veggies I dont particularly like but should eat more of (like carrots!)

15 Lindsey June 28, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Love that your cat plays fetch! Ours will run for it, but not bring it back, what a brat ;)

Usually about 7pm is when we end up eating.We run or go to the gym after work so by the time we get home and make supper its usually this time.

16 Laura @ LauraLikesDesign June 28, 2011 at 1:40 pm

I love chocolatey-peanut butter smoothies best! It’s healthy and delicious–a win-win in my book.

I typically eat around 6 each night since I leave work at 5.

17 Cait @ UrbanFencepost June 28, 2011 at 1:40 pm

During the week we usually eat around 6 or 6:30, depending on what time I get back from the gym. When we go out for dinner, it’s usually so early we end up sitting with families and older people ;)

18 Julie @ PBFingers June 28, 2011 at 1:44 pm

that cody video is precious… i also went and watched your wedding speeches video after! i loved your MOH’s speech!!

and we typically eat between 6 and 7 as well.

19 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn June 28, 2011 at 1:44 pm

I LOVE SMOOOOOTHIES

20 Lisa @ Healthy Diaries June 28, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Sorry that your stomach wasn’t doing too good yesterday! Hopefully you’ll figure out soon what it is exactly that bothers it! My brother has been suffering with stomach issues for over a year so I know how difficult it can be!

Cody is adorable as always! My cat, Leo, will play with my hair tie for hours at a time and I’m not exaggerating!

21 Brittany June 28, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Ugh, I had similar stomach issues all day yesterday. It made absolutely no sense. I had a bowl of trader joe’s fusili with veggies and pesto but there’s no way there were enough veggies to do THAT to my stomach. I woke up feeling less gross and bloaty but my stomach still isn’t feeling upto par and I had to skip my iced coffee this morning. What is wrong with us?!?

22 Kathryn June 28, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Love love love that Cody video!! I’ve never seen a cat play fetch before!

23 Aine @ Something to Chew Over June 28, 2011 at 2:23 pm

I get in at around 6pm and I usually start making dinner right away. Depending on how long the meal takes to prepare, we generally eat at 6.30 to 7pm.

I’m usually starving after walking home from work so I like quick and easy weeknight meals!

24 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 28, 2011 at 2:49 pm

I’m not really a huge cat person (mostly b/c I’m like deathly allergic to them) but yours is actually fun! I love that he plays with you. I feel like most cats I see just lurk around being all independent and stuff ;)

25 Jamie June 28, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Courtney – when you’re just cooking for you and your husband, do you cut the cooking time down at all? I REALLY want to give this recipe a try! Crock pot cooking times always confuse me!

26 Courtney June 28, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Even if it’s just me and hubby, I usually still keep the recipe the full amount just so we can have leftovers, since it’s hard to use just half of a can of soup. Usually 5 hours on low for 3 large chicken breasts is good!

27 Jamie June 28, 2011 at 4:50 pm

thanks! I can’t wait to try this!

28 Leanne (Bride to Mrs.) June 28, 2011 at 2:54 pm

My cat pebbles plays fetch too…. SO cute!

29 Erica June 28, 2011 at 3:20 pm

cody is fast!!! so cute!

growing up i’d eat dinner around 5-5:30
lately i’ve been eating around 8pm….but now i’m trying to be done eating by 7pm.

30 Sarah June 28, 2011 at 3:32 pm

That smoothie looks like something I’m gonna hafta get my hands on soon. On any typical night, I usually eat dinner around 7, but I’ve had days where I’ve eaten at 9 and days where I’ve eaten at 5… when I get hungry anywhere from 5′oclock on, I’d rather eat a real meal instead of snacking

31 Jordan P @ food, sweat, and beers June 28, 2011 at 3:37 pm

I’m usually starvation nation after the gym and a solid workout, so by 7pm, if foods not cooking, I start grabbing for stuff around the house like a rabid raccoon. If it’s in a shiny packet, all bets are off.

32 Courtney June 28, 2011 at 3:45 pm

LOL!! :)

33 Shayla @ The Good Life June 28, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Awww love the Cody video! And your smoothie too ;)
We typically eat around 6-7…I don’t usually like eating any later than that since I gotta be up in the mornings around 5am!

34 Kristen June 28, 2011 at 4:13 pm

I swear I’m a 27 year old senior citizen! ;) When my husband is traveling for work, I eat dinner around 5:00! And when he’s home, I’ll usually have dinner ready and on the table as soon as his car is in the driveway… like, around 5:45. Like Shayla said, I also get up super early when I’m working, so that means lunch comes early… and then dinner comes early! When we have to meet friends for dinner and they want to meet at 7 or 8pm, I feel like I could naw my arm off! :P

35 Samantha H. June 28, 2011 at 4:13 pm

LOL! Cody really does play fetch! He actually brings it straight to you as opposed to my dog – running around with it in her mouth for 5 minutes and then dropping it way across the yard – Smart Kitty!

36 Morgan @ Operation Hot Mama June 28, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Hey there! I am so going to be enjoying that smoothie recipe soon!!! Ugh, it looks freaking amazing!!!

I usually eat around 530 or 600 when I am off…but not until 800ish on my work days.

37 janae @hungryrunnergirl.com June 28, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Could you be anymore gorgeous!??! Bummer about your stomach yesterday:( Your smoothie looks delicious and I NEED one now:) During the winter we eat at 6 but summer…..more like 8 or 9!!

38 Abby June 28, 2011 at 4:22 pm

We usually eat supper at around 6:30 or 7 on the nights that I have off. When I am working night shift I don’t really know what meal is considered dinner! lol.

39 Megan (Braise The Roof) June 28, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Haha, actually baby food sounds like a really good idea for a smoothie! :) Cute video- smart cat!

40 Gloria June 28, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Loving the Cody video. So cute.

I usually eat dinner around 6. I could probably wait longer, but I don’t have the patience!

41 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles June 28, 2011 at 7:01 pm

Oh goodness! That video is a kick! :) What would we do without their lively little selves in the house to make us laugh!

42 Niki (Life's a Payne) June 28, 2011 at 9:40 pm

My boyfriend just looked over and said “is that an empty wrap?”. He believes any spread should be thicker than what it is put on… haha!

Cody may slowly bring me over to the cat side ;) !

43 Julie Nicole June 28, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Aww Cody reminds me of my cat Marley! She lovess playing fetch, especially with these fluffy balls we got at the pet store. She carries them around in her mouth everywhere!!!

44 Khushboo June 28, 2011 at 11:28 pm

I used to eat dinner quite late at 8.30/9 but recently it’s more like 7.30/8! I get home from work a little before 7 so I rather not prolong the ‘hanger’!

45 Kelly June 28, 2011 at 11:28 pm

Oooo your smoothie looks soo good and I love that you used baby food, what a great idea! Loving your blog and so glad to be a new follower! :)

46 Amber @ Stop and Smell the Wildflowers June 29, 2011 at 3:43 am

I made a similar smoothie the other day, and it was awesome! I’m super random about when I eat dinner. It usually depends on who’s making it and what it is we’re making. It could be 5pm or it could be 8pm.

47 Kristine @ Running On Hungry June 29, 2011 at 12:04 pm

YUM! Choc PB Protein Shakes are my favorite! I got one at my gym the other day post-pilates and it was amazing. I can’t wait to recreate this! (Mayyybe with the exception of the prunes!) :)

48 Courtney June 28, 2011 at 2:15 pm

2008? Puh-leeeease…I think mine’s from like, 2006. You’re good ;)