Bumpy and Smooth

by Courtney on July 8, 2011

So much for hoping for a totally smooth afternoon…

Luckily, it wasn’t all bumps in the road. This afternoon, I got a surprise call from the hubby…

Jay: “Hey! Have you eaten lunch yet?”

Me: “Nooooo…why do you ask?”

Jay: “Awesome. Want to meet for a lunch date?”

Me: (shrieking into phone) “SUUUURE!!” (then realizing I still have yet to shower and still sporting my bed head…) “But, umm, I haven’t showered yet…do you love me enough to still have a lunch date with me looking like a hot mess?”

Jay: (hesitates) “Ummm…well as long as you don’t smell I guess it’s cool.”

I’m such a lucky girl.

Our timing worked out perfectly since I was already out, and the two of us met up at one of our favorite lunch time spots, the Iron Gate Café.

Iron Gate, which is located in downtown Albany, is family-owned and operated, serving up a variety of homemade soups, salads, wraps and sandwiches prepared with quality ingredients.

They also have the most adorable little courtyard area that you can sit outside and eat in, and I was so excited when I saw there were plenty of tables to choose from.

I don’t think I’ve ever had anything here that I didn’t like, and while scanning their menu and specials for the day, I noticed that they had gazpacho. Umm, I love gazpacho.

So I ordered the “Choose Two” which included a cup of the gazpacho and half of their “Roast Turkey Special.”

The sandwich, which I got on wheat bread, consisted of thinly shaved deli turkey, lettuce, tomato, sprouts, provolone (which I subbed for cheddar) and the most amazing cranberry mayo you’ll ever taste in your life. It was awesome.

The gazpacho was also worthy of rave reviews. It had a great, fresh tomato flavor, combined with good-sized chunks of a variety of vegetables.

This lunch definitely beats anything I was going to scrounge up from the kitchen this afternoon. Plus, I’m always game for a lunch date with this hottie…

He makes me a happy cheeseball. Smile

Seeing as though it is Friday, it’s almost vacation, and it was a lunch date, I was able to convince hubby to share a big ‘ol cookie for dessert.

I don’t think I need any words here…the pictures are doing it plenty of justice.

So, as you can imagine, I left lunch full of smiles and ready to take on the rest of my to-do’s. But as I approached my car…BAM.

A freakin’ parking ticket. Talk about putting a damper on my afternoon…

But even still, I tried to push the thought of having to pay $40 for being 5 minutes late to my parking meter, and continued on with the rest of the day…

So one of the top things on my to-do list today was to go to the jeweler where Jay and I got our wedding rings so I could get get them looked at. Yesterday, I noticed that the main stone in my engagement ring was actually loose, so I immediately took it off, and headed there today to get it fixed.

If I ever lost that…I’d lose my mind…and probably my husband.

Just kidding. Winking smile

Well, it turns out that the jeweler at the store was actually on vacation today and wouldn’t be returning until Wednesday.

Of course he’d be on vacation!

Luckily, they told me that I could go to the other store location and have the jeweler check it out there. So, I got in the car and drove an extra half hour out of my way to visit the jeweler who wasn’t on vacation.

Much to my dismay, the very sweet girl working the counter at this location informed me that their jeweler doesn’t work on Fridays…

Of COURSE he doesn’t. Why would he?!?

So now, I’m stuck. There was no way I was leaving my ring there for a week, but I also definitely don’t want to wear it and risk losing the stone. So I got them cleaned and headed out, totally frustrated. I’m thinking that I can always just wear my wedding band alone, but I feel like it looks sort of weird…

What do you guys think?

I’m thinking it may be worth it because, you know, I don’t want any buff beach boys trying to pick me up on the beach this week…I’m a happily married woman you know.

*****

So anywho…by this point, I was about ready to explode with frustration. So I did the only thing I saw feasible…

IMG_5515IMG_5514

I went and eased by tension with a $20 pedicure. I felt guilty for spending the money for about .5 seconds, until hubby told me I should go. Besides, when it comes to the automatic massaging chairs, I really don’t need much to twist my arm.

It was incredible and worth every penny of that $20.00.

Now I’m feeling much more at ease, and in a couple short hours, we’ll be packin’ it up and heading down to the BEACH. I’ll be sure to give ya’ll an update when we get down there…sun and sand, here I come! Island with a palm tree

Question for the Evening:

What are your “go-to’s” for when you need to relax after a rough day?

Do you believe in the saying “negative energy brings bad luck?”

1 Lindsey July 8, 2011 at 6:25 pm

I know when I left my engagement ring at home for our honeymoon I felt bare without it. But I left my rings un-fused for that reason so that I can only wear my band when needed.

I like to have a bath and read to relax or go and chill at a Starbucks.

PS Love your ring!

2 Courtney July 8, 2011 at 6:45 pm

3 Kristine @ Running On Hungry July 8, 2011 at 6:31 pm

First off that cookie looks amazing! My sweet tooth has been in high gear today!

My go-to’s for relaxing are a long walk or run… or as you did – some seriously pampering with a mani pedi! Retail therapy always works too! :)

4 Lee @ in the pink of condition July 8, 2011 at 6:31 pm

On days like those I go to the gym to relieve stress. Luckily for my fitness, I’m stressed most of the time! Parking tickets in NYC are 85 dollars, which totally blows.

5 Kristen @ notsodomesticated July 8, 2011 at 6:34 pm

I don’t really believe that particular saying, but I do think that sometimes we have to “choose happiness.” I can choose to stay in my grumpy mood, or I can choose to “fake it until I make it.” I don’t think there’s anything wrong with feeling frustrated, or upset, or down in the dumps… as long as you try not to take it out on other people. :) (This can be easier said than done, of course! ;) )

And to relax, I often read a book, talk to my husband, breathe deeply (seems silly but can really help), and maybe have a glass of wine!

Your lunch looks delicious, by the way! And you look beautiful, shower or no shower haha! :)

6 Erica July 8, 2011 at 6:37 pm

i think anytime you’re in a bad mood it just snowballs. lol.

i think that my wedding band is going to look a lot like yours :)

hope your day gets better!

7 Amanda July 8, 2011 at 6:39 pm

glad you got a pedicure, that is one of my FAAAVORITE relaxing ways to have a better day… :) parking tickets in austin, tx are terrrrrible so i feel your pain on that!

8 Jen M. July 8, 2011 at 6:43 pm

For being unshowered, you certainly put the “hot” in hot mess!! Gah, I wish I looked that good, ever, not to mention unshowered!!

I think just the wedding band alone looks fine – you SO don’t want to risk losing a gemstone!! I would leave that pretty wedding ring in a safe at yours or your parents house while you are on vacay, and then take it back to the jeweler to get tightened up as soon as you get back. Or leave the wedding band at home too and just wear other fun and funky rings on your wedding finger every day for the next couple days!! Lots of people have unique and alternative looking rings as their wedding rings these days, so I think any ring on your wedding finger will give the impression you are a married woman.

HAVE SO MUCH FUN AT THE BEACH!! I’m so jealous!

9 Courtney July 8, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Hahaha…thanks, Jen! Good ideas with the ring, too. I’m sure I’ll end up doing one of those :)

10 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health July 8, 2011 at 6:49 pm

That is totally something that would happen with me! I think that your wedding band by itself would definitely work while you’re at the beach! It’s super pretty :)

11 gabriella @ embracement July 8, 2011 at 6:55 pm

Just those one thing after another kind of days. I hate those. And a pedicure DEFINITELY fixes everything, including a long walk/run, cuddling with my dog, and a glass of wine. And if thats how you look unshowered – Jay is a lucky man.

12 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn July 8, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Oh my god STOPPP you are so pretty! I go nuts over lunch dates. They make me so giddy. And your engagement ring is beyond gorgeous. Yo mans has good taste!

13 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey July 8, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Yaaay! So glad you went on a lunch date with your husband. Too bad my husband doesn’t get lunchbreaks. it’s a sad life.

I’d still wear the band – a lot of people wear them only!

14 Liz @ Something To Chew On July 8, 2011 at 7:15 pm

I think I do believe in that saying. I feel that if you expect bad things to happen, they will. And just keep on piling!

My “go to’s” are sweatpants and/or a wine and/or a phone call with my BFF.

Have a good weekend!

15 sweet and savvy July 8, 2011 at 7:17 pm

Awe! That really sucks about your ticket and ring diamond.:( hope the cookie and pedi helped. Just Think… beach soon!:)

16 Corey @ Family Fresh Meals July 8, 2011 at 7:18 pm

wine, Wine & WINE! heheh How bad am I! heheh
Hope your day is going much better now :)

17 April @ Motor City Runner July 8, 2011 at 7:35 pm

When I’m stressed I run. Thats my go to. Or a pedicure!! There is nothing quite like it. As for the ring situation, it’s not weird at all. I have an engagment ring and two wedding bands. During the week,I only wear one wedding band. It just works for me!! :)

18 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles July 8, 2011 at 7:46 pm

It does look like it is missing its other half… Bummer, but at least you know it will be safe!

19 Presley (Run Pretty) July 8, 2011 at 7:48 pm

I feel ya on the ring situation! I hate leaving mine for any reason… Your band looks cute solo… mine actually has an intense curve to fit my stone, so wearing it alone would make me look like an idiot.

20 Mary @ Bites and Bliss July 8, 2011 at 8:29 pm

No way! The rign doesnt look weird at all by itself- it’s gorgeous!! The lunch sounds perfect, too. I love salad/soup combos. Even better if it’s ended with a giant cookie. ;)

21 Lauren July 8, 2011 at 8:29 pm

Wow, if that is you fresh out of bed then I just don’t know what to say! You are always so picture perfect!

Negative energy brings bad luck, yes, I agree with that 100%. No one got anywhere good with negative energy. Enjoy your vacation!

22 sara @ the foodie diaries July 8, 2011 at 8:40 pm

If that is what you look like right out of bed than I hate you. KIDDING ;) you are beautiful though!

Hope you have a wonderful, relaxing weekend :)

23 MW July 8, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Your ring is beautiful! Not sure if you already know this or maybe you already have done it but we added my engagement ring and wedding band onto our home owners insurance. It is a little bit extra each year but WELL worth it!

24 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance July 8, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Wear the band alone for sure! You don’t want to get picked up by any creepers, now do you?!

25 Shayla @ The Good Life July 8, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Love your ring Courtney!! The setting is absolutely beautiful…kind of reminds me of mine but my engagement ring doesn’t have the side stones…but my wedding band is similar to yours and I actually really like it on it’s own…you can rock it girl, bling bling :)
When I need to relax, you know me, I like a nice glass of champy ;) And I kinda believe in that saying from reading The Secret (good book btw!) in that if you exude positive or negative energy, then that is what will come to you…so I always try to err on the positive side of things, but sometimes life can’t always be that way!

26 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake July 8, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Cranberry mayo?! Yum!!! It definitely seems that “when it rains, it pours” & if one bad thing happens it all snowballs from there! But no worries… you’re off to the beach! :-)

27 Sarah @ Food and Love Diaries July 8, 2011 at 10:28 pm

I definitely think it looks fine without the engagement ring! Adorable band, by the way.

28 Holly @ Pink Runner July 8, 2011 at 10:29 pm

Your rings are so pretty :) You should have shown us your toes! Love M&M cookies! They are always my first pick at Starbucks.

29 Amy @ My Life as a Lazy Girl July 8, 2011 at 10:30 pm

I love pedicures when I need to relax, or shopping definitely does it for me!

30 Honey @ Honey, What's Cooking July 8, 2011 at 10:35 pm

OMG, your skin is like porcelain. I hope you are wearing lots of sunblock to protect it from aging. Your ring is so pretty, yes dont’ leave it with the jeweler, i’m always paranoid they may switch up the stone, definitely worth making sure everything is okay after you get it back.

31 Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats July 8, 2011 at 10:44 pm

Lunch looks wonderful! I definitely wouldn’t risk wearing your ring! The band alone looks good! My favorite way to destress is a pedicure for sure! :)

32 Alexa July 8, 2011 at 10:51 pm

Your rings are gorgeous!! and that lunch and cookie looks so good. :)

I’m in Florida right now, but we are leaving tomorrow! :( enjoy your time at the beach though :) post lots of pics, especially of the yummy food!!

33 Krissie J @ A Philly Nerd Girl July 9, 2011 at 12:11 am

My sister often wears just her wedding band when she’s in a place it could potentially get lost or stolen from her. Her band is more plain, so she figures no one is going to want it, and it still keeps the menfolk from bothering her. ;)

34 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy July 9, 2011 at 9:27 am

I used to work with a girl who only wore her wedding band at work, because she didn’t want anything to happen to her engagement ring (we worked with kids- she didn’t want one of those little boogers to get her ring dirty, I guess :) ). I still knew she was married, and didn’t really think anything of it!

35 Aine @ Something to Chew Over July 9, 2011 at 10:12 am

Looks great! I love gazpacho :)

36 Molly Carter July 9, 2011 at 10:22 am

I love my engagement ring, but sometimes I think my simple diamond wedding band (very similar to yours) looks nice, too. It’ll certainly be fine for just a week. I agree- I wouldn’t risk wearing the engagement ring and losing that big ole diamond. Also- you can get a pedi for $20 in Albany??? That’s awesome. They’re at least $35 here.

37 Tara Burner July 9, 2011 at 11:16 am

my ‘go-to’ to relax is either for a walk or run
right now I’m not in financial position to ‘go-to’ anything else :(

38 Jessica @ Bake a Little July 12, 2011 at 10:22 am

$20.00 pedicure! Jealous! They are at least $28.00 here.. faill

39 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers July 18, 2011 at 1:18 pm

I just left OCNJ, where the Mani Pedi combo was $24 due to the amount of competition in the area…. it was probably the worst decision I’ve made all week.

Luckily…. I made it after I’d gotten at least one combo, so my nails will tough it out for a little while longer.

40 Kelly July 18, 2011 at 4:51 pm

I usually just wear my band in the summer. I think it is because I am lot more active with OUTDOOR activities and I am always hitting my diamond on things and have a fear of losing it outside. Weird?