Attack Of Motion Sickness

by Courtney on July 12, 2011

I’m gonna let you guys in on a little info…

For the past three nights, I have been sleeping on what may possibly by the worst pull-out sofa bed ever made on the face of this planet. We’re talkin’ a “mattress” about 3 inches thick, with springs and coils that insisted on constantly stabbing me in the back/sides/ribs/stomach. Pair that with my parents’ desire to keep the thermostat set at about 50 degrees, on top of my dad’s snoring that could rival a MAC truck, and it was one heck of a party.

Not that I’m complaining at all…really. I mean, I AM on vacation.

But when my parents looked at me like I was a crazy woman last night while setting my alarm for 6:45am this morning, all I could really say was “You try sleeping on that mattress and tell me if you want to “sleep in.”

Needless to say, after what may have been one of the worst nights of sleep on record, I was more than excited to get up and head down to the hotel’s “fitness center.” I completed 30 mins on the treadmill, doing the same workout as Monday, then followed it up with another 15 minutes of intervals on the elliptical.

I then trekked my sweaty self back up to the room, showered up, packed up, enjoyed a delicious Belgian waffle from the hotel’s free breakfast (it was so worth waiting until the last day), and said “Sayonara” to Virginia Beach.

We hit the road right on schedule, en route to Lewes, Delaware, so we could catch the ferry to Cape May in order to get us to Wildwood, NJ.

We actually ended up being an entire hour early which got us onto an earlier ferry and kept as ahead of schedule. Dad loves being ahead of schedule. Smile

This was my first time ever riding on one of these things, so I initially got a little excited and forced Jay to take this picture with me. He’s such a good hubby, isn’t he?

IMG_5692IMG_5693

By the time we got moving, we decided to head upstairs to see what they had for lunch. The variety was pretty slim, but I was happy to at least be able to find a halfway decent sandwich.

I picked out a Ham & Swiss sandwich on multigrain bread and shared a bag of SunChips with Jay. The sandwich was alright, but had wayyy too much bread, so I ended up eating it with just one slice of the bread with all the “innards.”

Not two minutes after sitting down to eat…it hit me. And it hard.

The swaying…the bouncing…the awful feeling of nausea swarming over me…

It was motion sickness at it’s finest. And ohhh my friends, it was not good. Sick smile

My dad and I are similar in many, many ways, and this is just another one of them. As soon as we finished eating our sandwiches inside, we headed out to the middle of the back of the boat to attempt to keep ourselves from “losing our lunch” so to speak.

IMG_5700IMG_5696

Thankfully, the fresh air and our location at the middle of the boat seemed to help with the nausea and within a few minutes, Dad and I were able to joke about our weak tummies.

Looks like we won’t be cruisin’ it up anytime soon!

After what seemed to be quite possibly the longest 80 minutes of my life, we arrived at Cape May and then just a short car ride later, we made it to our hotel here in Wildwood.

Beach #3 this summer…wheeeeee!! Island with a palm tree

And you want to know what I’m most excited about while we’re here in Wildwood?

I get a REAL bed to sleep in. Ohhhhh yeahhh. Open-mouthed smile

Questions for the Evening:

Do you ever experience motion sickness?

If you had your choice of vacation, would you choose…

• Cruise
  • Hotel + Beach
  • Camping / Cabin in a subdued, quiet area

1 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance July 12, 2011 at 6:21 pm

I always make my boyfriend do jumping pictures with me!! (He secretly loves them, I’m sure ;) )

2 Lindsey @ Gluten-Free Lindsey July 12, 2011 at 6:25 pm

I get awful motion sickness & the only thing that works is ginger tablets!!!

3 Lindsey July 12, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Heck yes! We went on a cruise (first time) for our honeymoon and for the first 3 days I was not in good shape. All I could do was lay on the lounger chairs and sun tan, not complaining about that though! Once we spent our days at port I was able to deal with the motion sickness a lot better thankfully!

Hotel & beach would be my choice I think :)

4 Samantha @ Running and Cupcakes July 12, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Ohhhhhh yucky to motion sickness. I’ve had it on boats a few times too, it’s not fun!

That’s a hard vaca decision to make! Right now I’d probably choose cruise because it’s the only one I haven’t done, but I do love camping/cabin in the woods, it’s so peaceful and beautiful to connect with nature.

5 Liz July 12, 2011 at 6:27 pm

You definitely can’t compare a ferry to a cruise. It’s like comparing a mouse to an elephant.

6 Savannah(Sweet and Savvy) July 12, 2011 at 6:31 pm

Hotel + Beach alllllllll the way!! :)

I stayed at cape may/wildwood a few years back. That looks verryyy similar to my hotel ;)

I get the sameee way on boats. I can ride rides, fly, read in the car, but boats give me motional sickness. :(

7 Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats July 12, 2011 at 6:32 pm

I would definitely pick beach + hotel or cabin in the woods. I’m not sure I would like a cruise and all of the motion even though I’ve never been sea sick.

8 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey July 12, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Out of those three, I would choose a beach!

I had Gabriela telling me she was going to get sick on a ferry today. I was nervous. Sorry you got sick!

9 Courtney July 12, 2011 at 8:29 pm

Luckily I was able to ward off the actual getting sick…but it was still crappy! UGH! P.S. – looks like you and Gabriela are having fun this week! I’ve been keeping up ;)

10 Tiffany July 12, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Hi Courtney! I have been following your blog for awhile now and I loooove it :) Thought I’d finally speak up with a quick question – when you do your intervals on the treadmill, is there a way to set it up on the treadmill to alternate speeds or do you just have to keep changing it yourself every minute. Might be a dumb question….but I’ve always been wondering.

Anyway, looks like you’re having a blast! Can’t wait for more posts!

11 Courtney July 12, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Hey Tiffany!
Thanks for “speaking up!” Unfortunately, I haven’t found a treadmill where I’ve been able to program in the intervals, so I just do it manually. I’m sure there’s ones out there that will let you, but mine isn’t that savvy. ;)

12 Blog is the New Black July 12, 2011 at 6:39 pm

Def beach!

13 Imwaytoobusy July 12, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Oh, I saw this and had to tell you…I’ve suffered from horrible motion sickness for years until I tried TransdermScop motion sickness patches. I can now read on flights and long road trips which was impossible before. My doctor will call them in for me before a big trip. Thought I’d tell you about them. They’re fab!

14 Gina @ running to the kitchen July 12, 2011 at 6:57 pm

We went to wildwood all the time as kids. Have fun!

15 Hannah July 12, 2011 at 7:01 pm

I have the WORST motion sickness!! It runs in my family !
Would rather go to the beach than anything else!!

16 Jess@atasteofconfidence July 12, 2011 at 7:03 pm

I got pretty bad motion sickness when I was on a cruise a few years ago, but luckily it only lasted a day and I must have kind of gotten used to it. Have fun!

17 Carey @ Positively Blonde July 12, 2011 at 7:19 pm

I don’t know if you ever watch Seinfeld, but reading your comments about the worst sofa-bed ever reminded me of an episode lol

I would say cruise. I’ve been on two but not in a long time and I would love to go on another!

18 Courtney July 12, 2011 at 8:35 pm

Haha, I was never a Seinfeld fan, but I love that you were able to make the connection ;)

19 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles July 12, 2011 at 7:24 pm

How about cabin + beach!!! :) YUCK to the sickness! I hate that!!!

20 April @ Motor City Runner July 12, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Very thankfully, I don’t get motion sickness. As for the perfect vacay, I would have to say the cabin in the woods. My hubby and I went to the Smoky Mountains for our 2nd anniversary and actually did get a cabin wayyyyy up in the Smokies. Actually, at that moment I’m glad I dont get motion sickness. Those windy mountain roads would have done me in!!

21 Bethany July 12, 2011 at 7:26 pm

Hotel, Beach & DISNEY :)

22 Erica July 12, 2011 at 7:32 pm

beach and hotel!!!

i get terrible motion sickness!!! my family went on a cruise when i was 12 and i couldn’t even come out of the room! eventually another shipmate told my mom about the ship doctor, who gave me a shot and some pills and i was a happy cruiser after that! :)

23 Molly Carter July 12, 2011 at 7:38 pm

I love cruises! The boat is so big, you really can’t feel any rocking or swaying. We went on an 11-night Mediterranean cruise for our honeymoon…heaven on earth! You still get to visit beautiful cities and beaches, but don’t ever have to move your stuff around. I highly recommend it.

24 Jodi July 12, 2011 at 7:45 pm

I haven’t been on the ocean in so many years, I don’t really even know if I have motion sickness. That would really suck, though! Have a great time in NJ!

25 Vanessa @ Sweaty in Pink July 12, 2011 at 7:57 pm

You should try taking Dramamine for your motion sickness… my mother SWEARS by it!

26 Courtney July 12, 2011 at 8:35 pm

That’s usually what I take if I’m going to be flying…I guess I just didn’t anticipate the extra motion on the ferry today!

27 Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill July 12, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Let’s just say that I spend bus rides with my head in a plastic bag. It’s miserable!! I used to be the same way with plane rides, but Dramamine has helped enormously.

I would definitely pick a hotel and beach for my ideal vacation!

28 Kristine @ Running on Hungry July 12, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Hotel + Beach hands down! (But I’m actually a huge fan of camping!)

I’ve never been on a cruise but I get motion sickness pretty bad (on oceans only, never lakes!) so I don’t think it’s for me. When I was in Hawaii a couple years back, we took a snorkel cruise and after the first dive I was sidelined to the top deck of the boat a cup of gingerale with fresh ginger slices in my hand to ward off the upset stomach feeling!

Have soooo much fun! It’s foggy and cloudy in SF so I’m totally living vicariously through you!

29 Kayla @ Sprouty Buns July 12, 2011 at 8:11 pm

I’ve never experience motion sickness but my sister gets it BAD, I wouldn’t be surprised if she got sea sick on a pool floaty ;) I like staying busy with activities while on vacation, doesn’t matter where I am just give me some plans!

30 julie July 12, 2011 at 8:15 pm

your blog is so cute!! i love it and just found it through chelsey! glad you’re having a fun time on vacay but sea sickness is on my list of NOT fun things haha

31 Courtney July 12, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Thanks, Julie! Hope to see you stick around :)

32 Pure2raw twins July 12, 2011 at 8:26 pm

sorry about the motion sickness, it happens to me whenever I go out on a boat, never any fun :(

33 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health July 12, 2011 at 8:43 pm

I know you aren’t exactly IN Cape May, but I used to go there every summer when I was little! Love the pic of you and Jay jumping up…I’ll try to get chris to do that this weekend when we go to Florida haha…he’ll love me for it ;).

34 Stephanie July 12, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Cruise for sure! We go on a couple per year and I LOVE them!!

35 Stefanie July 12, 2011 at 9:16 pm

I am officially SO jealous of how many vacations you’ve been going on this summer!! Lucky duck, have fun B-)

36 Kerry @ Half Healthy, Half Nuts July 12, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Don’t let queasiness from a ferry ride deter you from cruising, because cruises are the BEST vacations! Tropical locales, R&R, all you can eat buffets – you cannot beat a cruise!! :)

37 Holly July 12, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Love your blog but you are making me homesick!! I went to Wildwood Crest every year growing up – I think at least 20 straight years. We always stayed at the Paradise Inn and ate ice dream sundaes at The Seashell and Duffers and of course many hours on the Boardwalk. I live in Louisiana and my family is now spread around the country. Have a sundae on me at The Seashell and I can’t wait to read about it!!

38 Courtney July 13, 2011 at 6:13 pm

We LOVE the Sea Shell!! We’ll definitely be heading there this week :-D
Never tried Duffers, but their menu looks incredible!

39 Sarah @ Food and Love Diaries July 12, 2011 at 9:54 pm

BAHHH I love Wildwood.. the boardwalk is so ridiculous.

40 Stephanie July 12, 2011 at 9:56 pm

Holly is right, Seashell is the best!! Get the Dusty Road…mmmmm. Sam’s pizza on 26th street for pizza, or Mack’s! So good

41 Courtney July 13, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Yes! LOVE the Sea Shell! What’s the Dusty Road??

42 Stephanie July 13, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Ice cream plus chocolate syrup and malted milk powder- can’t go wrong!

43 Liz @ Tip Top Shape July 12, 2011 at 10:02 pm

I was on a trip in Europe when motion sickness hit me. It was absolutely awful. There were three-four hour drives to get from one town to the next. I was not a lot of fun on that trip, lol.

44 Katherine July 12, 2011 at 10:14 pm

I have actually never had motion sickness! Woot!

45 Katie July 12, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Welcome to Delaware!

Please don’t let your motion sickness spoil you on our great state :-)

46 marci July 13, 2011 at 8:30 am

YAY for delaware!

I was wondering if there would be any other DE readers! Come back and just stay in Lewes next time , Courtney!

47 Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out July 12, 2011 at 11:29 pm

Blech and sorry. I went on a dolphin cruise last week on the Gulf. I felt a short instance of motion sickness. Luckily, I was able to hold it together.

48 Shayla July 12, 2011 at 11:32 pm

I rarely get motion sickness…I can even read while a riding in a car…the act of doing that alone makes my mom sick! Ha, I guess its not hereditary for us! :)

And I would most definitely choose the beach…I’m a beach girl at heart and am at peace and happy as a clam when I’m by the ocean.

49 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy Living Girl" July 12, 2011 at 11:33 pm

I gotta go with cruise! I just think there’s something so peaceful about being on the water, even if you’re in a giant boat with a bunch of peeps. Have fun at beach #3!

50 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy July 13, 2011 at 12:51 am

I would choose hotel + beach. I enjoy a soft bed and electricity…and I’m afraid that I would get motion sick/claustrophobic on a cruise (I’ve never been, so this is just a fear of mine, ha)!

51 Kristen @ notsodomesticated July 13, 2011 at 8:56 am

I don’t get motion sickness, so I would probably choose the cruise. My husband and I are talking about doing a European cruise next summer… around Italy, Spain, etc… but he’s worried about motion sickness. I really don’t think it’s as much of an issue on a really big boat. And that’s what they make motion sickness medicine for, right?! ;)

52 Brittany July 13, 2011 at 9:06 am

1) Love the ferry. I used to take it all the time with my parents when I was little. I’m obsessed with boats. I love them so much. I love bodies of water.
2) On that note, I’ve been on a cruise before and It was AWESOME but I’m definitely a beach girl at heart. But skip the hotel, I need my own house where I can lounge and COOK! (Grillin’ veggies is the best!) Maybe a cruise every once in a while though… that wouldn’t hurt. :)
3) I haven’t been to wildwood in a long time but all I remember about it is the EPIC beaches. So freaking long! All while Sea Isle and Avalon have to dredge their beaches because the sand is being eroded away and the beaches are disappearing.

53 Steph @321delish July 13, 2011 at 9:28 am

ick! motion sickness bites!

I used to take the ferry when I was younger! Whoot Whoot for Jersey beaches!

54 Ruthie Hart July 13, 2011 at 11:12 am

ugh I know how you feel with that sofa bed! my parents have a lakehouse and I would rather sleep out on the dock than on their pullout sofa where I can feel the springs digging into my back! I am sorry you were sea sick BLAH. But hey, at least you are on vacay! xox

55 Holly July 13, 2011 at 4:36 pm

I’m SO jealous!! Wish the hubby & I were going to WW this year. I think I know exactly where you are staying!!! :D
It’s so nice up there..the best part is just laying on the beach all day & doing absolutely nothing. Ahh, heaven ;)
I do not experience motion sickness..thankfully. Glad you & your Dad were able to get feeling better eventually!

56 Tara Burner July 13, 2011 at 6:01 pm

oh you poor thing :(
i haven’t been on a boat for a loooong time and in fact fear cruises (though never been on one!)
so I’ll take beach & hotel any day!!!

57 Sarah July 23, 2011 at 9:12 am

I just spent a week in Rehoboth Delaware which is a few miles from the ferry :)