Attack Of Motion Sickness

I’m gonna let you guys in on a little info…

For the past three nights, I have been sleeping on what may possibly by the worst pull-out sofa bed ever made on the face of this planet. We’re talkin’ a “mattress” about 3 inches thick, with springs and coils that insisted on constantly stabbing me in the back/sides/ribs/stomach. Pair that with my parents’ desire to keep the thermostat set at about 50 degrees, on top of my dad’s snoring that could rival a MAC truck, and it was one heck of a party.

Not that I’m complaining at all…really. I mean, I AM on vacation.

But when my parents looked at me like I was a crazy woman last night while setting my alarm for 6:45am this morning, all I could really say was “You try sleeping on that mattress and tell me if you want to “sleep in.”

Needless to say, after what may have been one of the worst nights of sleep on record, I was more than excited to get up and head down to the hotel’s “fitness center.” I completed 30 mins on the treadmill, doing the same workout as Monday, then followed it up with another 15 minutes of intervals on the elliptical.

I then trekked my sweaty self back up to the room, showered up, packed up, enjoyed a delicious Belgian waffle from the hotel’s free breakfast (it was so worth waiting until the last day), and said “Sayonara” to Virginia Beach.

We hit the road right on schedule, en route to Lewes, Delaware, so we could catch the ferry to Cape May in order to get us to Wildwood, NJ.

We actually ended up being an entire hour early which got us onto an earlier ferry and kept as ahead of schedule. Dad loves being ahead of schedule. Smile

This was my first time ever riding on one of these things, so I initially got a little excited and forced Jay to take this picture with me. He’s such a good hubby, isn’t he?

IMG_5692IMG_5693

By the time we got moving, we decided to head upstairs to see what they had for lunch. The variety was pretty slim, but I was happy to at least be able to find a halfway decent sandwich.

I picked out a Ham & Swiss sandwich on multigrain bread and shared a bag of SunChips with Jay. The sandwich was alright, but had wayyy too much bread, so I ended up eating it with just one slice of the bread with all the “innards.”

Not two minutes after sitting down to eat…it hit me. And it hard.

The swaying…the bouncing…the awful feeling of nausea swarming over me…

It was motion sickness at it’s finest. And ohhh my friends, it was not good. Sick smile

My dad and I are similar in many, many ways, and this is just another one of them. As soon as we finished eating our sandwiches inside, we headed out to the middle of the back of the boat to attempt to keep ourselves from “losing our lunch” so to speak.

IMG_5700IMG_5696

Thankfully, the fresh air and our location at the middle of the boat seemed to help with the nausea and within a few minutes, Dad and I were able to joke about our weak tummies.

Looks like we won’t be cruisin’ it up anytime soon!

After what seemed to be quite possibly the longest 80 minutes of my life, we arrived at Cape May and then just a short car ride later, we made it to our hotel here in Wildwood.

Beach #3 this summer…wheeeeee!! Island with a palm tree

And you want to know what I’m most excited about while we’re here in Wildwood?

I get a REAL bed to sleep in. Ohhhhh yeahhh. Open-mouthed smile

Questions for the Evening:

Do you ever experience motion sickness?

If you had your choice of vacation, would you choose…

• Cruise
  • Hotel + Beach
  • Camping / Cabin in a subdued, quiet area

Comments

Heck yes! We went on a cruise (first time) for our honeymoon and for the first 3 days I was not in good shape. All I could do was lay on the lounger chairs and sun tan, not complaining about that though! Once we spent our days at port I was able to deal with the motion sickness a lot better thankfully!

Hotel & beach would be my choice I think :)

Ohhhhhh yucky to motion sickness. I’ve had it on boats a few times too, it’s not fun!

That’s a hard vaca decision to make! Right now I’d probably choose cruise because it’s the only one I haven’t done, but I do love camping/cabin in the woods, it’s so peaceful and beautiful to connect with nature.

Hotel + Beach alllllllll the way!! :)

I stayed at cape may/wildwood a few years back. That looks verryyy similar to my hotel 😉

I get the sameee way on boats. I can ride rides, fly, read in the car, but boats give me motional sickness. :(

• Courtney says

Luckily I was able to ward off the actual getting sick…but it was still crappy! UGH! P.S. – looks like you and Gabriela are having fun this week! I’ve been keeping up 😉

4. Tiffany says

Hi Courtney! I have been following your blog for awhile now and I loooove it :) Thought I’d finally speak up with a quick question – when you do your intervals on the treadmill, is there a way to set it up on the treadmill to alternate speeds or do you just have to keep changing it yourself every minute. Might be a dumb question….but I’ve always been wondering.

Anyway, looks like you’re having a blast! Can’t wait for more posts!

• Courtney says

Hey Tiffany!
      Thanks for “speaking up!” Unfortunately, I haven’t found a treadmill where I’ve been able to program in the intervals, so I just do it manually. I’m sure there’s ones out there that will let you, but mine isn’t that savvy. 😉

Oh, I saw this and had to tell you…I’ve suffered from horrible motion sickness for years until I tried TransdermScop motion sickness patches. I can now read on flights and long road trips which was impossible before. My doctor will call them in for me before a big trip. Thought I’d tell you about them. They’re fab!

I don’t know if you ever watch Seinfeld, but reading your comments about the worst sofa-bed ever reminded me of an episode lol

I would say cruise. I’ve been on two but not in a long time and I would love to go on another!

Very thankfully, I don’t get motion sickness. As for the perfect vacay, I would have to say the cabin in the woods. My hubby and I went to the Smoky Mountains for our 2nd anniversary and actually did get a cabin wayyyyy up in the Smokies. Actually, at that moment I’m glad I dont get motion sickness. Those windy mountain roads would have done me in!!

beach and hotel!!!

i get terrible motion sickness!!! my family went on a cruise when i was 12 and i couldn’t even come out of the room! eventually another shipmate told my mom about the ship doctor, who gave me a shot and some pills and i was a happy cruiser after that! :)

I love cruises! The boat is so big, you really can’t feel any rocking or swaying. We went on an 11-night Mediterranean cruise for our honeymoon…heaven on earth! You still get to visit beautiful cities and beaches, but don’t ever have to move your stuff around. I highly recommend it.

I haven’t been on the ocean in so many years, I don’t really even know if I have motion sickness. That would really suck, though! Have a great time in NJ!

• Courtney says

That’s usually what I take if I’m going to be flying…I guess I just didn’t anticipate the extra motion on the ferry today!

Hotel + Beach hands down! (But I’m actually a huge fan of camping!)

I’ve never been on a cruise but I get motion sickness pretty bad (on oceans only, never lakes!) so I don’t think it’s for me. When I was in Hawaii a couple years back, we took a snorkel cruise and after the first dive I was sidelined to the top deck of the boat a cup of gingerale with fresh ginger slices in my hand to ward off the upset stomach feeling!

Have soooo much fun! It’s foggy and cloudy in SF so I’m totally living vicariously through you!

I’ve never experience motion sickness but my sister gets it BAD, I wouldn’t be surprised if she got sea sick on a pool floaty 😉 I like staying busy with activities while on vacation, doesn’t matter where I am just give me some plans!

your blog is so cute!! i love it and just found it through chelsey! glad you’re having a fun time on vacay but sea sickness is on my list of NOT fun things haha

14. Stefanie says

I am officially SO jealous of how many vacations you’ve been going on this summer!! Lucky duck, have fun B-)

15. Holly says

Love your blog but you are making me homesick!! I went to Wildwood Crest every year growing up – I think at least 20 straight years. We always stayed at the Paradise Inn and ate ice dream sundaes at The Seashell and Duffers and of course many hours on the Boardwalk. I live in Louisiana and my family is now spread around the country. Have a sundae on me at The Seashell and I can’t wait to read about it!!

• Courtney says

We LOVE the Sea Shell!! We’ll definitely be heading there this week 😀
      Never tried Duffers, but their menu looks incredible!

16. Stephanie says

Holly is right, Seashell is the best!! Get the Dusty Road…mmmmm. Sam’s pizza on 26th street for pizza, or Mack’s! So good

I was on a trip in Europe when motion sickness hit me. It was absolutely awful. There were three-four hour drives to get from one town to the next. I was not a lot of fun on that trip, lol.

• marci says

YAY for delaware!

I was wondering if there would be any other DE readers! Come back and just stay in Lewes next time , Courtney!

I rarely get motion sickness…I can even read while a riding in a car…the act of doing that alone makes my mom sick! Ha, I guess its not hereditary for us! :)

And I would most definitely choose the beach…I’m a beach girl at heart and am at peace and happy as a clam when I’m by the ocean.

I don’t get motion sickness, so I would probably choose the cruise. My husband and I are talking about doing a European cruise next summer… around Italy, Spain, etc… but he’s worried about motion sickness. I really don’t think it’s as much of an issue on a really big boat. And that’s what they make motion sickness medicine for, right?! 😉

20. Brittany says

1) Love the ferry. I used to take it all the time with my parents when I was little. I’m obsessed with boats. I love them so much. I love bodies of water.
    2) On that note, I’ve been on a cruise before and It was AWESOME but I’m definitely a beach girl at heart. But skip the hotel, I need my own house where I can lounge and COOK! (Grillin’ veggies is the best!) Maybe a cruise every once in a while though… that wouldn’t hurt. :)
    3) I haven’t been to wildwood in a long time but all I remember about it is the EPIC beaches. So freaking long! All while Sea Isle and Avalon have to dredge their beaches because the sand is being eroded away and the beaches are disappearing.

ugh I know how you feel with that sofa bed! my parents have a lakehouse and I would rather sleep out on the dock than on their pullout sofa where I can feel the springs digging into my back! I am sorry you were sea sick BLAH. But hey, at least you are on vacay! xox

I’m SO jealous!! Wish the hubby & I were going to WW this year. I think I know exactly where you are staying!!! 😀
    It’s so nice up there..the best part is just laying on the beach all day & doing absolutely nothing. Ahh, heaven 😉
    I do not experience motion sickness..thankfully. Glad you & your Dad were able to get feeling better eventually!

oh you poor thing :(
    i haven’t been on a boat for a loooong time and in fact fear cruises (though never been on one!)
    so I’ll take beach & hotel any day!!!