My Amazing Workout

by Courtney on July 23, 2011

Happy Saturday! How’s everyone’s weekend starting off?

Mine started off with one INCREDIBLE workout. Like, seriously awesome.

This morning, I woke up with an itch to head to the gym. Jay was up and out early for a golf outing with some buddies, so I figured I’d take advantage of the free time. I knew that both BodyAttack and BodyFlow are offered at my gym on Saturday mornings and I was really in the mood to sweat. On the other hand, I was also really in the mood to stretch, so I brought my mat and figured I’d see how it went.

Well, BodyAttack was amazing. Sweaty, hardcore, and full of action. It actually wasn’t until I checked my workout log that I realized I haven’t taken a BodyAttack class since February! I think I need to bring this class back into my regular routine.

By the time class was over, I may have been a sweaty, stinky mess, but I was still feeling really good and decided to stay for BodyFlow. Well, I am so glad that I did. This was the full hour class, rather than the express class that I did a few weeks ago, and it just made my entire body feel long, lean, and completely Zen.

It’s funny, because I was actually talking to a girl in class before it started, saying how I always have a really time with the meditation part of class. As much as I try, my mind just always seems to be running a mile and minute and I can never fully “let go.” But today’s class was so different. I felt completely in tune with my body and I actually caught myself almost drifting to sleep a couple times. Seriously, who am I?

Needless to say, I left the class feeling on top of the world!

I also left class feeling like this…

I’ll tell ya, there’s nothin’ like rewarding myself with my all-time favorite iced coffee after a tough and amazing workout.

Once I got home, I played a little fetch with the furball (<—fyi: hilarious Cody post) before making some breakfast.

I toasted up a my last Thomas’ honey wheat English muffin and topped it with some Blizzard Butter, banana slices, raisins, cinnamon, and honey. As always, I saved the top half for last. Winking smile

I also had to dig in and have one of my blueberry cake munchkins leftover from yesterday. I still have one left, and I’m pretty sure it won’t be around too much longer.

I thought about adding more to this meal, but since I ate it at an odd time (11am) and felt satisfied, I’m holding off for a little while and then planning on making this smoothie again.

For now, I’m thinking a little poolside action + reading is in order!

Questions for the Morning (I’m saving “Would You Rather’s” for weekdays):

Do you meditate? Are you good at focusing during meditation? Any tips?

What was/will be your workout today?

1 briana July 23, 2011 at 12:17 pm

I loved bodyattack and I wish I could find a gym that offered it close to me! I’m deciding if I might take a rest day or do a quick kickbox video on demand!

2 Courtney July 23, 2011 at 12:52 pm

LOVE on demand videos!!

3 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen July 23, 2011 at 12:17 pm

I’m pretty horrendous at focused meditation so I know what you mean. I’ve still yet to have a workout where I actually feel relaxed and almost drift to sleep..one day ;)
I’m about to hop on the treadmill for my first workout in almost a week after hurting my back, I can’t wait!

4 Mallory @ It's Only Life July 23, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Sounds like a great start to your weekend! I, too, hate meditating (which is why I rarely ever do yoga) because I end up thinking MORE than I would have if I didn’t do anything at all! Haha

I’m impressed with your ability to ration those donut holes. They would have been gone the day I got them if it were me!!

Not sure about my workout– I did a long, 8 mi run yesterday so I’m thinking maybe intervals today. We’ll see:)

5 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries July 23, 2011 at 12:27 pm

I love workouts that make me feel that good! I woke up early and did 20 minutes of HIIT before heading to work (on a Saturday – yuck). But my two best girlfriends are coming into town, so I had to get SOME kind of workout in because alcohol is not calorie free :)

6 Courtney July 23, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Amen, sista! ;)

7 Kristen @ notsodomesticated July 23, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Wow, sounds like an awesome morning!! Today is my “rest day”, and tomorrow morning my husband and I will be waking up early to run 8 miles… my longest ever. Yikes! :)

Today my “workout” just consists of making a cake for my MIL’s birthday celebration tomorrow. Wish me luck… I’ve never made a fancy-schmancy 2 layer cake before!! ;)

8 Courtney July 23, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Oooooo, how fun!! Good luck with the cake! :-D

9 Aine @ Something to Chew Over July 23, 2011 at 12:31 pm

What a great start to your weekend! I did 40 minutes circuits and now I’m going to do some yoga.

10 alyssa - fashion fitness foodie July 23, 2011 at 12:33 pm

I have a hard time meditating! I just cant let my mind be at rest

11 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles July 23, 2011 at 12:35 pm

You go girl!!! BTW, who took the jumping pic, if Jay was off, did you ask some random person to snap a pic of you jumping????? If so, that would be AWESOME! HA!
I am not so good at meditating, but truly need to try to get into it. I just always feel like I should be doing something, I hate that but I just can’t seem to turn ‘it’ off…
Happy Saturday! Way to go! (I think I’ll lay out and read some too!!!)

12 Courtney July 23, 2011 at 12:54 pm

HAHA, it’s actually an old photo from last August…I just decided to throw it in there to further prove my feeling of being on top of the world and looking like a goofball ;)

13 April @ motor city runner July 23, 2011 at 12:36 pm

5 miles for me this morning!!

14 Amanda July 23, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Your workout sounds great!! I took an hour long spin class this morning that kicked my butt!! I tend to have difficulty shutting my mind off during meditation in yoga too, but just use it as time to relax, acknowledging that thoughts are passing through my mind, but telling myself I can deal with them in a few minutes! It feels like less pressure if I really just try to make it “me time” with a calm mind as opposed to meditating.

15 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake July 23, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Are Body Attack & Body Combat much different? My gym offers Combat, but not Attack. My gym is also launching Flow on 8/6, but that’s my wedding day, so I DOUBT I’ll be able to squeeze in a class at the gym! ;-)

Anyway, my workout this morning was Pump!

16 Courtney July 23, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Both of the classes are full cardio, but the BodyCombat class also incorporates a lot more kickboxing moves. That class leaves my upper body intensely sore, whereas the BodyAttack class tends to work my lower half/full body more.

Hope that helps!

Aaaaand…YAY for your upcoming wedding!! :-D

17 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health July 23, 2011 at 12:53 pm

I love feeling awesome after a workout! I am really bad at meditation…I think it’s because I feel kind of stupid when I’m in a class full of strangers haha. I just got back from the gym and I did a full-body weight session…man I think I’m going to be sore

18 Shayla @ The Good Life July 23, 2011 at 1:24 pm

I’m so bad a meditating and just letting my mind go…I always end up thinking about the next thing I have to do that day or what I need at the grocery store!

My workout today was a spin class, whoo hoo! Loved the sweat session I got from it :)

19 Shayla @ The Good Life July 23, 2011 at 1:25 pm

By the way the breakfast looks delish, I need Blizzard Butter back in my life :(

20 Amanda- The Nutritionist Reviews July 23, 2011 at 1:37 pm

That’s awesome that your class made you feel that great! It motivates me to workout now : )

21 Khushboo July 23, 2011 at 1:56 pm

I wish i could meditate but i always get so bored and am thinking about 100 other things! After a late night out yesterday combined with vodka, I declared today a rest day :)!

22 sweet and savvy July 23, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Those workouts sound great! I really need to look more into fitness classes in my area!

23 Andrea (Run. Learn. Repeat.) July 23, 2011 at 2:24 pm

I love starting off Saturdays with a good workout! It makes the whole day so much better. I always have a hard time meditating. I used to not be able to make it through yoga and pilates because I would get impatient and felt like I needed to be breathing hard if I was working out, but I’ve recently started to love pilates, and now I’m teaching myself to like yoga. I’m getting there. I realized those types of exercise classes make you feel good in a different way. My workout today was an awesome 11 mile run, and I hit the pool afterwards too. Saturdays are the best.

24 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance July 23, 2011 at 2:27 pm

I meditate during yoga– but thats pretty much the extent of it! Maybe I should do it more often so I can become better at focusing!

25 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] July 23, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Sounds like a wonderful Saturday morning!! My mind is a busy one and often wanders during yoga; but, I’ve found with cont’d practice, it gets easier to focus on the present :)

Have fun at the pool!

26 Sarah @ Food and Love Diaries July 23, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Mmmmm munchkins!! Love good quality workouts.. especially ones on the weekend!

27 Tara Burner July 23, 2011 at 3:40 pm

I love to meditate…in beginning it was hard but now it’s second nature…great way to start (or end) the day!

and OMG to rationing the munchkins..I’d have scarfed them down in one sitting! how do you do it?

this weekends workout…ran this morning before it got too insanely hot, then went to pool (actually managed to swim some laps before all the obnoxious kids got there, later…bike ride or just may do the review I’m doing on a new core fusion cardio dvd…who knows…

28 Jane @ Broccolini & Cheese July 23, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Everytime I read someone post about Bodyflow, pump, you name it, I want to try it so badly! Sounds like an awesome workout indeed!

29 Victoria (District Chocoholic) July 23, 2011 at 5:18 pm

NICE long weekend workout. I love long weekend workouts. Today, it was a 50 mile bike ride – 5000 meter swim – 5 mile pool run. I’m a little hungry and every food photo here looks extra incredible.

Meditation? Ha. The 60 seconds in savasana pose at the end of a yoga class drives me batty. Props to you for improving on that.

30 Amber @ Stop and Smell the Wildflowers July 24, 2011 at 5:55 am

I really want to try BodyAttack. I’ve done BodyCombat and loved it, so I figure I would like Attack as well. I absolutely LOVE BodyFlow too. But I’m with you on the meditation- my mind is always going a hundred miles a minute. Something to work on! ;)