Six Bags of Clothes Later

by Courtney on July 26, 2011

…and a quick trip to Plato’s Closet

I’m $47.00 richer!

Woahhh baby! Open-mouthed smile

Because a good amount of my clothes were “too professional,” they couldn’t take them, (too bad I ran out of all my old teeny bopper clothes a long time ago) but they’ll still donate them to Goodwill so I’m cool with that.

However, one item that I couldn’t bare to just “give up” was this pair of hubby’s Diesel jeans. He bought them a couple years ago at Nordstrom after being totally persuaded by me, Sarah, and the store associate. Unfortunately, he only wore them about twice; he says they’re “not comfortable” in so many words…

Since these puppies were not cheap, I just couldn’t manage to hand them over for the mere $3.90 they were offering to give. Maybe this is just a sign that hubby should keep them? I mean, they did make his tush look pretty darn good.

Woops…did I just say that out loud? Winking smile

(If anyone is interested in snagging this pair of good lookin’ for the tush Diesel jeans for their S.O., shoot me an email. Otherwise, they’re goin’ up on ebay!)

I was planning on hitting up the grocery store on my way back home, but hunger struck in a BIG way, and a trip there would have been BIG trouble. Maybe later…there were more important things to be had!

Seeeee? I told you that you hadn’t seen the last of blueberries today. Winking smile

Considering I still have about 1/3 of the container of blueberries that I bought (which is approximately the size of my head) I figured I better keep at ‘em.

I can handle it though; especially when it’s in the form of a delicious Blueberry-Banana Smoothie. I’m seriously loving this smoothie!

I’m also loving these muffins…only two more left (with four more “hiding” out in the freezer for another time). Hubby even said he likes them, which says a lot since he’s usually the first to complain about something tasting “too healthy.”

I’ll tell ya…I think with all this blueberry consumption, I may be on the verge of turning IN to a blueberry.

Either that, or a cheeseball?

Yeah, I think I’d rather be a cheese ball than be blue. Winking smile (<—a “would you rather” without even trying!)

Oooooo boy…the sky is lookin’ dark and I hear thunder in the background.

Fingers crossed for a good storm!!

Questions for the Afternoon:

What was the last “food kick” you got on?

If you’ve sold back clothes…what’s the most you’ve ever gotten for them?

Do you like thunderstorms?

1 Lee @ in the pink of condition July 26, 2011 at 1:49 pm

My boyfriend has a couple pairs of Diesel jeans, and I swear they make him look AMAZING! You should seriously just force your hubby to wear them, I totally understand how you feel hehe

2 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss July 26, 2011 at 1:51 pm

a quick trip to plato’s closet?! I’m shocked.. it usually takes HOURS for them to go through my clothes. And I always get so much more money for the craptastic forever 21 stuff than my expensive Abercrombie clothes. go figure.

3 Kori July 26, 2011 at 1:51 pm

I’ve been on a mango kick ALL summer. I can’t get enough of them! Now I’m thinking I need to make a blueberry mango smoothie. Mmmmm!

4 Krissie J @ A Philly Nerd Girl July 26, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Hmm. Not sure of the last food kick. I’m kind of relieved to see the amount you got from Plato’s. I think I may Ebay some of my unworn label jeans first and use them as a last resort. I’ve never sold clothes before. And I love thunderstorms, we haven’t had really any or if they have come through, it was when I was asleep. :(

5 Jill @ Jill is Active July 26, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Hmm…. food kick, I guess PB but it’s not really a kick if it’s a constant, huh? I’ve literally had to stop buying it because I go through the jar too quickly!!

I’ve never sold back clothes – always Goodwill. My boyfriend in high school went through his closet and sold clothes to Plato’s Closet to buy me a nice Christmas present haha.

LLOOVEEE thunderstorms!! Send one my way please :)

6 Samantha @ Running and Cupcakes July 26, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Do you realize how much reading your blog makes me crave food? ;-) In a good way of course! On my list of things to try now is your Blueberry Smoothie!

I go on food kicks all the time! Lately it has been those Al Fresco chicken sausages – I swear I cook them once or twice a week!

I’ve never sold clothes back. By the time I’m done with them they’re usually not good for anything more than being donated anyway!

7 Chelsea @ Chelsea's Health July 26, 2011 at 2:05 pm

I have never sold clothes to a store but maybe it would be a good thing to look into. The only store we have here that do that only take designer labels and professional clothing.
On the other hand, my fave thing is to recycle bottles. I am not sure what bottle recycling gives you in America, but where I live we can get quite the refund every time we have family visit.

I am not a big fan of thunderstorms. It has been raining here for close to a month so I would like to see some sunshine!

8 Jillian @ sprinkle massacre July 26, 2011 at 2:05 pm

I take my clothes to a cosignment shop near my mom’s house that sells it gives me half of what they make.. it’s a pretty good deal! Although, I’ve sold things on ebay for more than I paid for them lol…

9 Blog is the New Black July 26, 2011 at 2:08 pm

I want a smoothly so badly, but my dumb blender is broken! WAH!

10 Khushboo July 26, 2011 at 2:17 pm

I’m on a cottage cheese kick..mixed with berries and granola. So delicious and do i dare say, somewhat cheesecake-ish? :)

11 courtney @ cupcakedynamite July 26, 2011 at 2:17 pm

ahh plato’s is so frustrating! they always have the weirdest reasons for not accepting mine, once it was “they are too small.” sorry, didn’t realize no one else in this world is small..? Love the blue picture! I could really go for that smoothie right now…

12 Aine @ Something to Chew Over July 26, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Almond butter with sliced apples is my current food kick…mind you I’ve also been on an oats kick for about 5 years, no sure if that counts?!

That blue picture reminds me of Veruca Salt :)

13 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers July 26, 2011 at 2:22 pm

VIOLET! you’re turning violet!! (but maybe not veruca, lol).

I need to hit up Plato’s Closet, or some other consignment store. I’ve got clothes that GOTTA GO!

14 Tara @ the pleased plate July 26, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Your blue picture looks like Violet from Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory! :)

15 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine July 26, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Plato’s is frustrating! They wouldn’t take some Abercrombie jeans (teeny bopper) because they were too light… What in the world!

16 Shari @ Chicago Cuisine Critique July 26, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Awesome job at Plato’s closet. I really need to do that soon!

17 sweet and savvy July 26, 2011 at 2:34 pm

I’ve never gotten cash back for clothes! That’s an awesome haul you took in!

18 Lauren @ Sugar Coated Sisters July 26, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Gosh, I really need to clean out my closet. It’s no fun and I’m terrible at making those kinds of “keep vs. give” decisions.

Love thunderstorms, they remind me of many summers spent in Illinois :)

19 Alexa @ Simple Eats July 26, 2011 at 2:40 pm

I was on a smoothie kick for awhile…now I’m on a watermelon and goat cheese kick.

20 Jessamy @ The Rambling Asian July 26, 2011 at 2:48 pm

I am on a watermelon and smoothie kick. However, my smoothie never involves watermelon! haha

21 Melissa @ Will Work for Veggies July 26, 2011 at 2:59 pm

The most for my clothes that I’ve ever gotten is about $40 in trade from Buffalo Exchange. When I was younger, it wasn’t such a bad deal… even now, there are always cute skirts I can get for work at Buffalo!

I LOVE thunderstorms!!! Also, I made a blueberry-banana smoothie today too! Yum!! Such a cute post :)

22 Meg July 26, 2011 at 2:59 pm

I could so go for that smoothie right about now, espec. with this heat!! :)

I love donating/exchanging my clothes as well, makes me feel refreshed, haah!

23 Erin @ Naturally Addicted July 26, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Plato’s is the best… I haven’t ever shopped there, but I’ve definitely taken clothes there! You actually reminded me I have a bag of clothes in my closet I have been meaning to take by there. I am always on a smoothie kick, but lately green smoothies are just about the only thing I’ve been craving. Well that and froyo!

24 Shayla @ The Good Life July 26, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Wow you made off really good! I think the last time I tried I only got back about $15…and a lot of it was designer jeans! Hmph! :(

I’m currently on an avocado kick…love it on turkey sandwiches and in salads…mmm mmm :)

I like thunderstorms but we never have them here in San Francisco during the summer…just fog from the bay which is pretty annoying!

25 Mallory @ It's Only Life July 26, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Ah, I looove blueberries too. Especially in vanilla Chobani with a little truvia…perfection!

26 Sarah July 26, 2011 at 3:31 pm

There was a place where I used to live called Clothes Mentor that was attached to Platos and they took the more professional items. Always a great feeling to clean out the closet!

27 Jackie @ That Deep Breath July 26, 2011 at 3:42 pm

I’m on a smoothie in a bowl kick right now!
We have a Plato’s Closet here too, but I never usually get very much money back even though all of my old clothes are Abercrombie, Hollister, etc. Maybe they’re just cheap in California!

28 Brooke @ Waiting to Rise July 26, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Last food kick is what I’m still on..chocolate (at least your food kick is healthy…mine only is in small, small doses)…but chocolate chip waffles, nutella slathered on toast, chocolate chips in peach cobbler, mocha chip smoothies……you name it, its in there!

Plato’s closet is a great way to get some moolah for clothes…but i’m like you…I’ve gotten a bunch given back because its too professional…..oh well, ebay it is!

Love the blog! Just stumbled upon it one day last week!

29 Courtney July 26, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Thanks, Brooke! Welcome :-D

30 Erica July 26, 2011 at 3:55 pm

I immediately thought of Violet from Charlie & the Chocolate Factory when I saw that pic! :-) I love thunderstorms… especially with the heat we’ve been having in the northeast, we NEED the rain!

31 Jenny July 26, 2011 at 4:06 pm

We just picked the last of the blueberries off our bushes! Back to store bought for me :-(

1- Hmmm, I’d have to say beets, but only because we’re pumping them out of the garden faster than I can eat them. Otherwise, I’d say chocolate, but that’s kind of a “lifestyle” for me!
2- I sold some business stuff and party dresses at a consignment shop and got a check for $150!
3- I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE thunderstorms!

32 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries July 26, 2011 at 4:45 pm

I had no idea that Plato’s closet paid you for your clothes! I have tons of crappy “unprofessional” clothes from high school that are just sitting in my room at my parent’s house. Looks like I have a new mission :)

33 Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats July 26, 2011 at 4:55 pm

I am on a carrots/bananas/apples dipped in peanut butter kick! The most I have ever gotten back for selling clothes was $75 when I decided to sell nearly all of the clothes that I had gotten to small for in hopes of never wearing bigger than a size zero again. Lets just say this girl needs a shopping trip in the near future because that was the most unrealistic thing I have ever tried to maintain! I love thunderstorms as long as there isn’t damage involved! :)

34 Emily July 26, 2011 at 5:14 pm

if you’re looking to try to sell professional clothes, you should try The Clothes Mentor! I think its owned by the same company that owns Plato’s Closet, but they buy more professional/mature clothing (labels like GAP, Banana Republic, JCrew, Ann Taylor, etc.) There’s one on Central Ave in Albany near Westgate Plaza. I’ve had one good experience and one bad one, so it might be worth it to try if ebay doesn’t work out :)

35 Courtney July 26, 2011 at 5:49 pm

UGH, Jen mentioned this to me too! Unfortunately, I hadn’t known about it and just let them keep the clothes to donate. Grrrrr!

36 Sarah @ Food and Love Diaries July 26, 2011 at 5:20 pm

I’d say almond butter or smoothies… they were my most recent food jags. Haven’t had either in about a month though :( Sad. I LOVE thunder storms! I never realized how enjoyable they are until I moved to California and never had any

37 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy Living Girl" July 26, 2011 at 5:34 pm

I was really on a smoothie kick a couple of weeks ago. I purchased some xantham gum and it made the smoothies all creamy and yummy! So, I just keep eating them til the xantham gum ran out :-)

I can’t sell back clothes because I always spill on them! I’m such a messy girl :-)

I like thunderstorms when I’m indoors curled up on the couch watching a chick flick…a hot man sitting next to me is always nice, but not a requirement ;-)

38 Maria@La_Piattini July 26, 2011 at 5:42 pm

I wish I had a Plato’s Closet near me! I put together a bag of clothes to donate every couple of months and it drives my fiance crazy that it’s all good designer items! Hmm I need to look into this!

39 Julie July 26, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Have you ever tried Clothes Mentor? They were run by the same people as Plato’s Closet, but it’s more for adult/professional women…you might have more luck there!

40 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles July 26, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Totally on a Smoothie kick. I could eat them for all 3 meals! ….and I want to! Is this a problem?
What on earth did they mean ‘too professional’ I need professional clothes and I’m still ‘young’ (24… not young, not old). I wouldn’t have parted with the jeans either, what can I say, I’m a tush girl too!
Blue picture= awesome!!!

41 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance July 26, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Awesome! Gotta love Plato’s closet ;)

42 Erica July 26, 2011 at 6:29 pm

i HATE trying to sell my clothes, when i know how much i paid for them and they only offer you like $3. i rather just give it away. lol. i’m ridiculous like that. hahahaha.

43 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy July 26, 2011 at 6:35 pm

I’ve always heard not-so-good thing about Plato’s Closet, so I’ve never tried to sell my stuff back. I just give mine to Goodwill feeling good that I made a charitable donation!

44 Jenny @ LoveEatRun July 26, 2011 at 7:35 pm

I LOVE thunderstorms!! Nothing better than sitting and listening to the rain and thunder on a summer night!

45 Katherine July 26, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Watermelon. I am obsessed with it!

46 Allison July 26, 2011 at 9:17 pm

I feel you on the clothes thing- I have a hard time giving them away even when I know they will end up just sitting in my closet! I’m on an animal cracker kick unfortunately… it needs to stop.

47 Kristen @ notsodomesticated July 26, 2011 at 9:29 pm

I used to make these individual “healthy” pizzas almost every night for dinner when I was single. They were so easy, so tasty, and fairly low in calories.

In college, I ate oatmeal for practically every meal for a while… I would put various mix-ins into the oatmeal, but still. That’s a little ridiculous! ;)

48 Liz @ iheartvegetables July 26, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Haha any more blueberries and you’re going to turn into Violet from Willy Wonka! ;)

I love plato’s closet! I need to take some clothes over there..

49 Allison @ Happy Tales July 26, 2011 at 10:41 pm

oh goodness me. I am in DIRE NEED of a trip to a place like Plato’s Closet. Crazy, but I’ve actually never been! Yep. It’s a must that i get there soooooonnnn!

50 Niki (Life's a Payne) July 27, 2011 at 7:01 am

I love thunder storms but we only get like one a year where I live and they are really lame. At least when I visit my parents I can usually count on one or two!

51 Heather @ Girlyeverafter July 27, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Fruit smoothies have turned into my favorite beverage this summer. But the food kick I recently got on was “wraps”, any kind didn’t matter. Easy, simple, and perfect for on the go!

52 Kellie July 28, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Yea! I took some clothes to Plato’s and made almost $60!
I know what you mean about the jeans on your hubby… my hubby has a pair of AE jeans that he says are too tight in places… idk i like :)

53 kristen July 29, 2011 at 1:46 pm

My cousin will take clothes to one platos closet and then what she doesnt sell, will go to another. And they usually take some at the second place, even when they didnt at the first. Good luck selling the jeans!