BBQ Chicken Garbage Bread

by Courtney on July 28, 2011

This afternoon, I was totally ahead of the game and took care of putting together tonight’s dinner.

Ohhhh yes. We’ll get to that in a second.

So because I was already ahead of the game with dinner, this meant that, rather then spend the evening in the kitchen, I was free to spend some QT out on the back porch with hubby…and my margarita.

Remember the Sinless Margaritas that me and the girls enjoyed back on Cinco de Mayo? Well, the mix has been sitting in my fridge ever since, so I figured tonight would be as good a night as any to break it out and make a couple drinks for the two of us. They’re really pretty good…and umm, don’t take long to feel the effects either. Winking smile

But anyways…back to dinner!

Growing up, one of my absolute favorite “snack” foods that my mom made was garbage bread. Granted, although I really do not like pepperoni, she eventually ventured into trying different variations which all turned out great and regularly make an appearance at parties and other gatherings (if it is pepperoni, I usually pick out 99% of it).

Well for the past few days, I’ve had a pack of ground chicken and a pizza dough in my fridge that needed to be used. It is *very difficult* for me to convince hubby to eat any sort of ground meat that isn’t beef…he just isn’t a huge fan. So I knew that if I was going to be able to get him to eat the ground chicken, it’d have to be good…and smothered in bbq sauce!

So first, I started out by rolling the dough (which was a small victory in and of itself, and I only wish that someone was here to take a picture of me throwing the dough up in the air as if I were a professional pizza maker) and topped it with some minced garlic and sautéed onions.

Next, I added the ground chicken, which I simply cooked over the stove with a little salt and pepper and covered in bbq sauce (~1/3 cup?).

Next was the good stuff…the cheeeeese. Smile

After another small drizzle of bbq sauce, it was time to start rolling. I roll my garbage breads like a jellyroll, since that’s what I’ve always seen my mom do. One very important note to mention is to be sure you continue to pinch the sides. You don’t want all of your handy work oozing out all over the place!

Once it’s all rolled up, pinch the seams a bit more, place it on a baking sheet lined with foil and sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.

Then, cut a few small slits along the top; this helps prevent your bread from exploding.

I bake my bread in a 350 degree oven for about 30-35 minutes until it just starts to get golden brown. Then, once I’ve allowed it to cool for about 5-10 minutes, it’s time to slice ‘er open.

Ooooo baby! Open-mouthed smile

For dinner, I enjoyed inhaled three delicious pieces, both from the middle (where all the goods are)

and from the edge (because I really like the pieces that are almost all bread, too) Winking smile

And even though I could’ve easily made a meal out of the garbage bread alone, I paired it with some sautéed zucchini and yellow squash, which I cooked up quickly with a little salt, pepper, and balsamic vinaigrette dressing.

Easy peasy and super delicious.

(PLUS, hubby even ate the ground chicken AND enjoyed it, so it was definitely a #winning dinner!)

Now I’m off to go hang out on the couch snack on the edges of the bread for the night.

Question for the Evening:

What would be your ideal add-ins for your own garbage bread?

1 Shari @ Chicago Cuisine Critique July 28, 2011 at 7:56 pm

This looks great! :)

2 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles July 28, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Ok. I’m making a veggie version of this…ASAP!

3 Katherine July 28, 2011 at 8:01 pm

This is a really cool idea. I want to do this now-with different insides.

4 Erin @ Naturally Addicted July 28, 2011 at 8:04 pm

For some reason your posts are always so on point… I have been having some serious cravings for BBQ chicken pizza recently… AMAZING!!

5 Amanda July 28, 2011 at 8:07 pm

YUM!! xo

6 Shayla @ The Good Life July 28, 2011 at 8:17 pm

Wow o wow does that look amazing! I would go straight for each end of the bread…the more bread the better ;)

My ideal add-ins would be a veggie version of this with lots and lots of cheese, caramelized onions, and sauteed veggies, mmm mmm :)

7 Amy B @ Second City Randomness July 28, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Garbage bread! That looks fantastic! I love the idea of cheesy bbq chicken wrapped in… oh my goodness…

8 Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean July 28, 2011 at 8:22 pm

this looks great!! and i love the name :) i’ll definitely be making this for my hubby

9 steph July 28, 2011 at 8:23 pm

that looks AMAZING.

10 Gina July 28, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Looks totally yummy and the options are endless!

11 Samantha @ Running and Cupcakes July 28, 2011 at 8:26 pm

I would be the total opposite of you in this department – I LOVE PEPPERONI! I’d put pepperoni, green bell peppers, mushrooms, and onions! With marinara sauce!

12 Molly Carter July 28, 2011 at 8:29 pm

This looks sooooo good! As do the sauteed zucchini and squash on the side. I’d eat that garbage bread filled with anything…how about spinach, feta, roasted red peppers and black olives?

13 Courtney July 28, 2011 at 9:48 pm

Sounds DELISH…minus the olives ;)

14 amy July 28, 2011 at 8:29 pm

whats the diff between garbage bread and calzones? looks yummy ^^

15 Courtney July 28, 2011 at 9:49 pm

I honestly just think it’s the way it’s wrapped up. I think with calzones it’s sort of just folded over(?) where as this is rolled. :)

16 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake July 28, 2011 at 8:35 pm

This is an awesome idea! I’m definitely tucking this recipe away for when I need to cook for my soon-to-be-hubby & myself! I might try out a pepper, onion, & mushroom garbage bread!

17 Kristen @ notsodomesticated July 28, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Believe it or not, I think this may be my favorite recipe that you’ve ever posted haha! ;) Make sure it’s in the recipe section please… I have a feeling I’ll be coming back to search for this recipe very soon!!

18 Courtney July 28, 2011 at 9:49 pm

Hahaha, will do! :-D

19 Nancy July 28, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Whoa. Whoooaa whoa, that garbage bread is unheard of! It looks sooooo good. I think i’ll be making that sometime in the very near future. Except, sans onions!

20 Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill July 28, 2011 at 8:54 pm

I am drooling! That looks soo good! Definitely making that soon

21 pat July 28, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Always a hit!

22 Courtney July 28, 2011 at 9:50 pm

That it IS, mom :-D

23 Amy July 28, 2011 at 9:10 pm

I bet spinach and feta would be delicious- kind of a breadier spanakopita!!!

24 Blog is the New Black July 28, 2011 at 9:28 pm

You call this garbage bread, I call this delicious calzone! WANT!

25 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life July 28, 2011 at 9:44 pm

That looks super yummy! My boy loves BBQ chicken so I might just have to try this.

26 colleen laquay urbaniuk @ thegiftofmondays July 28, 2011 at 9:44 pm

garbage bread looks amazing and simple! can’t wait to try it!

27 briana July 28, 2011 at 10:00 pm

after my first day back to school as a sped preschool teacher it’s funny I had margaritas and homemade ham and pineapple pizza for dinner, but that looks just as yummy!

28 Brittany July 28, 2011 at 10:03 pm

YUMMY! That looks so gooood!

29 Faith @ For the Health of It July 28, 2011 at 10:03 pm

I’d go with a vegan Italian version – TVP soaked in tomato sauce, a little Daiya mozzerella, olives, eggplant and fresh basil!

30 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen July 28, 2011 at 10:05 pm

That’s such a good alternative to a pizza! I think I’d do ground turkey/chicken with spinach and cheese. I might try that out tomorrow since I have some pizza dough on hand!

31 sara @ the foodie diaries July 28, 2011 at 10:06 pm

Ummm it’s like you went into my mind and cooked up my dream sandwich/burrito/bread and made it happen! I’m cooking this as soon as I get back from the beach. Plus a margarita!? A girl after my own heart :)

32 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers July 28, 2011 at 10:06 pm

Courtney, you’re KILLING me here! My boyf took a peek on my computer screen and he knew, right then and there, that we are going to be eating that this weekend.

thank you for so much, lol.

33 Anne July 28, 2011 at 10:23 pm

I think I’d like this better if it weren’t called “garbage”! but looks delicious!

34 Courtney July 29, 2011 at 8:05 am

Haha, that’s the best part! ;)

35 Steph @ 321delish July 28, 2011 at 10:59 pm

I’ve never heard of garbage bread before, but this looks tasty and SO easy!

36 Liz @ Something To Chew Om July 28, 2011 at 11:05 pm

This is GENIUS. I seriously will be making this incredibly soon!

37 Lindsey July 28, 2011 at 11:59 pm

Yum, that seems like a hubby pleasing supper :) I would love ground chicken/turkey, spinach, tomato sauce, mushrooms, zucchini, peppers and feta and mozzarella!

38 Maeve July 29, 2011 at 12:18 am

whenever I’ve had this the inside breads didnt cook enough- how do you keep your inside dough from being mushy?

39 Courtney July 29, 2011 at 8:05 am

I try to keep the dough rolled out really thin, which seems to help

40 Candice July 29, 2011 at 12:55 am

oh my heck! that looks SO good! just like a hot pocket–healthy style. OR it reminds me of those chicken bakes from costco… but WAAAAAY better for you! Love it! Those veggies look delish too!

41 Khushboo July 29, 2011 at 5:27 am

This looks fantastic, kinda like a calzone! Any filling which included cheese would be a hit for me, but if you want to get specific: spinach & ricotta or even marinara sauce with sharp cheddar and a fried egg!

42 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance July 29, 2011 at 7:13 am

Garbage bread seems like such a great idea! I’m feeling a Greek-flavored one with some feta & kalamata olives ;)

43 Kelly July 29, 2011 at 8:15 am

Brilliant Court!! I am going to make this ASAP!

44 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy Living Girl" July 29, 2011 at 8:43 am

When I saw the post title “garbage bread,” I just had to check it out! This bread looks absolutely delicious – kinda like a calzone! I think I’d like a kind of Hawaiin Garbage bread, with white cheese, pineapple and ham.

45 Hope July 29, 2011 at 8:52 am

This looks delicious! I am definitely going to have to try making this for dinner! :)

46 Nicole July 29, 2011 at 9:34 am

Looks delish! My mom also used to make it when I was growing up, and I’ve always known it as “garbage bread” too… but I haven’t had any in years, thanks for the reminder of how yummy and easy it is to make! :)

47 e@thisnotedlife July 29, 2011 at 10:03 am

looks amazing!! can’t wait to try this

48 Kristine @ Running on Hungry July 29, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Um YUM that looks SO good I need to make it ASAP!

49 Lizzie July 29, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Omg what a great idea!! I’d fill mine with veggies, tomato sauce and piles of daiya!

50 Jane @ Broccolini & Cheese July 29, 2011 at 1:51 pm

I had never heard of garbage bread before but it sounds awesome! I would probably do something similar to yours! Sound delish!

51 Rosa - Fitness, Food, Fulfilled July 29, 2011 at 2:54 pm

That looks absolutely fantastic and I must make it. Using pizza dough as a pocket for anything instantly makes it gourmet, you know. Thanks for sharing!

52 Laura @ Unchartered 20s July 29, 2011 at 3:17 pm

This is making my mouth water!! I would def include sauted onions, peppers, & zucchini and ground beef. And sauce. MmM

53 Kerryne July 29, 2011 at 9:45 pm

YUM… I have never heard of this before but it sure does look tasty! I have so many variations running through my head :)

54 Emily July 30, 2011 at 7:39 am

we discussed this, but I’m so glad that you call it garbage bread! BEST THING EVER! This combo looks amazing and I think I’m going to have to try to make it :)

55 Jessica @ Bakealittle August 1, 2011 at 12:45 pm

This looks so unbelievably delicious! Such a great dinner idea. I love anything involving bbq! Thanks for sharing :)

56 Mac August 4, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Fantastic idea… I’m stealing it! :)

57 Beth August 31, 2012 at 11:24 am

YUM!! My hubby would also totally love your mom’s pepperoni version (which I read she made in one of your past blog postings). Can you give a quick recipe for that one??

58 Courtney September 1, 2012 at 10:22 am

I literally just use pepperoni and mozzarella cheese…that’s it! Haha :)

59 Ken the Garbage Bread Guy November 22, 2012 at 7:35 am

Beth, I think it’s best to buy a stick of pepperoni and slice it by hand. The pre-sliced pepperoni is too thin. Extra work, but it’s worth it.

60 Ken the Garbage Bread Guy November 22, 2012 at 6:27 am

Courtney,
I’ve been making garbage bread for years. Started out with the typical pepperoni and mozzarella, but have expanded to many different types since we moved south. Today (Thanksgiving) I’ll make six for our family and friends. My favorite is with sliced meatballs and mozzarella. My wife and I always make extra meatballs and put them in the fridge. My wife loves roasted red peppers, sun dried tomatoes and mozzarella. A few years back, a close friend asked me to make a Cuban Sandwich garbage bread which is now also a hit: spanish pork, ham, swiss cheese and pickles!

61 Ken the Garbage Bread Guy November 22, 2012 at 6:29 am

Forgot one thing… the garbage bread with roasted red peppers also has a LOT of minced garlic!

62 Amanda Hewer December 17, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Hey there. I just tried this recipe and it was really tasty. However, I couldn’t get the inside to cook up, it was just so doughy. Is there a solution to make this better? Thanks

63 Courtney December 17, 2012 at 7:46 pm

I’ve found that I have better luck with different kinds of dough so that could help. Also make sure that your dough is rolled out nice and thin. You could always try reducing the heat and letting it cook longer to try to cook the insides a bit longer for your liking, without over cooking the outside.