BBQ Chicken Garbage Bread

This afternoon, I was totally ahead of the game and took care of putting together tonight’s dinner.

Ohhhh yes. We’ll get to that in a second.

So because I was already ahead of the game with dinner, this meant that, rather then spend the evening in the kitchen, I was free to spend some QT out on the back porch with hubby…and my margarita.

Remember the Sinless Margaritas that me and the girls enjoyed back on Cinco de Mayo? Well, the mix has been sitting in my fridge ever since, so I figured tonight would be as good a night as any to break it out and make a couple drinks for the two of us. They’re really pretty good…and umm, don’t take long to feel the effects either. Winking smile

But anyways…back to dinner!

Growing up, one of my absolute favorite “snack” foods that my mom made was garbage bread. Granted, although I really do not like pepperoni, she eventually ventured into trying different variations which all turned out great and regularly make an appearance at parties and other gatherings (if it is pepperoni, I usually pick out 99% of it).

Well for the past few days, I’ve had a pack of ground chicken and a pizza dough in my fridge that needed to be used. It is *very difficult* for me to convince hubby to eat any sort of ground meat that isn’t beef…he just isn’t a huge fan. So I knew that if I was going to be able to get him to eat the ground chicken, it’d have to be good…and smothered in bbq sauce!

So first, I started out by rolling the dough (which was a small victory in and of itself, and I only wish that someone was here to take a picture of me throwing the dough up in the air as if I were a professional pizza maker) and topped it with some minced garlic and sautéed onions.

Next, I added the ground chicken, which I simply cooked over the stove with a little salt and pepper and covered in bbq sauce (~1/3 cup?).

Next was the good stuff…the cheeeeese. Smile

After another small drizzle of bbq sauce, it was time to start rolling. I roll my garbage breads like a jellyroll, since that’s what I’ve always seen my mom do. One very important note to mention is to be sure you continue to pinch the sides. You don’t want all of your handy work oozing out all over the place!

Once it’s all rolled up, pinch the seams a bit more, place it on a baking sheet lined with foil and sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.

Then, cut a few small slits along the top; this helps prevent your bread from exploding.

I bake my bread in a 350 degree oven for about 30-35 minutes until it just starts to get golden brown. Then, once I’ve allowed it to cool for about 5-10 minutes, it’s time to slice ‘er open.

Ooooo baby! Open-mouthed smile

For dinner, I enjoyed inhaled three delicious pieces, both from the middle (where all the goods are)

and from the edge (because I really like the pieces that are almost all bread, too) Winking smile

And even though I could’ve easily made a meal out of the garbage bread alone, I paired it with some sautéed zucchini and yellow squash, which I cooked up quickly with a little salt, pepper, and balsamic vinaigrette dressing.

Easy peasy and super delicious.

(PLUS, hubby even ate the ground chicken AND enjoyed it, so it was definitely a #winning dinner!)

Now I’m off to go hang out on the couch snack on the edges of the bread for the night.

Question for the Evening:

What would be your ideal add-ins for your own garbage bread?

Wow o wow does that look amazing! I would go straight for each end of the bread…the more bread the better 😉

My ideal add-ins would be a veggie version of this with lots and lots of cheese, caramelized onions, and sauteed veggies, mmm mmm :)

This looks sooooo good! As do the sauteed zucchini and squash on the side. I’d eat that garbage bread filled with anything…how about spinach, feta, roasted red peppers and black olives?

• Courtney says

I honestly just think it’s the way it’s wrapped up. I think with calzones it’s sort of just folded over(?) where as this is rolled. :)

Believe it or not, I think this may be my favorite recipe that you’ve ever posted haha! 😉 Make sure it’s in the recipe section please… I have a feeling I’ll be coming back to search for this recipe very soon!!

4. Nancy says

Whoa. Whoooaa whoa, that garbage bread is unheard of! It looks sooooo good. I think i’ll be making that sometime in the very near future. Except, sans onions!

5. briana says

after my first day back to school as a sped preschool teacher it’s funny I had margaritas and homemade ham and pineapple pizza for dinner, but that looks just as yummy!

Yum, that seems like a hubby pleasing supper :) I would love ground chicken/turkey, spinach, tomato sauce, mushrooms, zucchini, peppers and feta and mozzarella!

oh my heck! that looks SO good! just like a hot pocket–healthy style. OR it reminds me of those chicken bakes from costco… but WAAAAAY better for you! Love it! Those veggies look delish too!

This looks fantastic, kinda like a calzone! Any filling which included cheese would be a hit for me, but if you want to get specific: spinach & ricotta or even marinara sauce with sharp cheddar and a fried egg!

9. Nicole says

Looks delish! My mom also used to make it when I was growing up, and I’ve always known it as “garbage bread” too… but I haven’t had any in years, thanks for the reminder of how yummy and easy it is to make! :)

we discussed this, but I’m so glad that you call it garbage bread! BEST THING EVER! This combo looks amazing and I think I’m going to have to try to make it :)

11. Beth says

YUM!! My hubby would also totally love your mom’s pepperoni version (which I read she made in one of your past blog postings). Can you give a quick recipe for that one??

• Ken the Garbage Bread Guy says

Beth, I think it’s best to buy a stick of pepperoni and slice it by hand. The pre-sliced pepperoni is too thin. Extra work, but it’s worth it.

12. Ken the Garbage Bread Guy says

I’ve been making garbage bread for years. Started out with the typical pepperoni and mozzarella, but have expanded to many different types since we moved south. Today (Thanksgiving) I’ll make six for our family and friends. My favorite is with sliced meatballs and mozzarella. My wife and I always make extra meatballs and put them in the fridge. My wife loves roasted red peppers, sun dried tomatoes and mozzarella. A few years back, a close friend asked me to make a Cuban Sandwich garbage bread which is now also a hit: spanish pork, ham, swiss cheese and pickles!

13. Amanda Hewer says

Hey there. I just tried this recipe and it was really tasty. However, I couldn’t get the inside to cook up, it was just so doughy. Is there a solution to make this better? Thanks

• Courtney says

I’ve found that I have better luck with different kinds of dough so that could help. Also make sure that your dough is rolled out nice and thin. You could always try reducing the heat and letting it cook longer to try to cook the insides a bit longer for your liking, without over cooking the outside.