My Half Birthday Surprise

There’s nothing like spending your Saturday morning with a good friend, and a good cup of iced coffee (and then getting a pretty sweet half birthday surprise, but I’ll get to that in a minute).

I had a feeling that the two of us would be there for a while, so I went ahead and ordered a venti (aka, way-more-than-I-really-need) iced coffee, which tasted totally awesome today.

And as it turns out, the rumors were true…Heather’s baby bump IS getting huge!! Surprised smile

Little Logan has definitely grown since the last time I saw her, and man oh man, she is just allll belly. As in that, super-cute-pregnant-woman-belly that everyone hopes for when they have a baby of their own. Lucky duck. Winking smile

As always, it was so great to catch up with Heather. Hopefully now that she’s actually living a bit closer, we won’t let so much time lapse in between our get-togethers.

*****

So before leaving the house this morning, I was told by the hubby that I needed to “be out of the house for at least three hours” today.

Ummm, what?!?

I shrugged it off and went on my merry way, but a couple of hours later, received this text:

What the heck was he UP to? (In case you’re curious, yes, we each have special names we call each other…which are special just for us…hence, the random whiting out. Hey, some things are meant just for me and hubby!) But anyways…

Well, as it turns out, he was QUITE busy this morning…

I couldn’t believe it!! Hubby made me a Half Birthday Cake! Open-mouthed smile

And would you check this out? Not ONLY did he make my homemade raspberry almond buttercream, but he made it a chocolate soda cake, even dyed it pink AND purple (my favorite colors), AND decorated it with my pastry bag set.

Who IS this man?!?

Obviously, I was beyond impressed and completely psyched!

I mean, he’s certainly shown me he culinary prowess before; remember when he made one of my favorite dinners during birthday week? Then he surprised me again with this amazing dinner the day after my real birthday.

He’s certainly not bad to look at have around in the kitchen, but now he can BAKE!?!

Ohhh hubby, you just opened up a whoooole new door for yourself. Winking smile

As I’m sure you can already tell by my numerous uses of CAPS and exclamations marks(!!!) in this post, I was completely excited and could not wait to dive right in. So imagine my surprise when I found out that he even filled the cake with raspberry jam.

My man KNOWS the key to my heart. In loveRed heart Oh, and you know I most definitely cut myself two pieces. Hey, it’s soda cake, it’s healthy…errr, healthier?

I think this has most definitely got to be the best Half Birthday EVER!

And I most definitely have the best hubby ever. Smile

Comments

Heather does have that perfect baby bump 😉

You have an amazing husband….did he come that way or did you have to train him?

• Courtney says

Hahaha, I’ve definitely mentioned the idea of a half cake for a half birthday before. But the fact that he listened is good enough for me! 😉

• Courtney says

No, he baked two 9-inch round cakes and just cut the one in half and layered it that way. The other one is sitting on a plate and we just continue to pick at it 😉

You have the right to use all the exclamation points and capital letters you want on this post!!!!!!!!!!
    How SWEET of your AMAZING husband!!!!!!!!!!! 😉 (all jokes aside, that is honestly too sweet! He must have melted your heart right then and there!)

3. Jen says

Ok well now that I know I can use my half bday as an excuse to be pampered (brilliant by the way) its totally happening. Maybe a little late this year. Maybe my 3/4 bday? Hahah my bf is a lucky man.
    Me and my bf have nicknames as well, just between us!
    I’m making this soda cake! Great idea. So sweet of the hubby!

That is absolutely the cutest thing I have ever seen! I was reading the post and I kept saying “awww” over and over again. haha. So cute :)

How amazingly sweet! Little things like that, when people put so much thought and heart, mean the most! The cake looks so yummy too!!! What a great hubby! Happy half birthday girl! xo

omg, that is the sweetest thing EVERRRRRRRRRR! if my guy did that for me i’d swoon. ;p

so….where’s the other half of the cake????

how sweet that he went through all the effort to surprise you…he was TOTALLY raised right!!! you’ve got me thinking about two new concepts this week…garbage bread and celebrating half birthdays. and how convenient to come upon this right now, because my half birthday will be MONDAY (my favorite day of the week of course!), plus i’ll be on vacation with my family…two great reasons to celebrate!!!

happy half birthday courtney!!!

Wow your hubby deserves ‘man of the year’ award….SO sweet. Although it’s really not fair that one household has not one but TWO great bakers!

9. Tracy says

Oh that is the sweetest thing I’ve seen recently! I will definitely have to steal this idea for my hubby on his next half birthday! I’m so glad I found your blog recently. You come accross as such a sweet and genuine person!

That is beyond sweet! Come to think of it…my boyfriend once made me a heart shaped cake with a sterling silver box in it…with pearl earrings inside. I was super impressed but it was my 16th birthday and he was way more romantic in his youth..lol!

11. Tammy says

He is definitely a keeper!!!

On another note, what does the “w/ R” mean on your iced coffee cup? I’ve been staring at it and wondering hahaha

12. Jen M. says

So thoughtful! And clever! I love the half-cake for the half birthday! That’s definitely worth lots of good husband points!!! Good work Jay!

13. Nicole says

You should clone that guy and send him out to all the single ladies who need a good guy. Congrats on the half birthday and for finding a man who knows how to make you smile!

That is so sweet! What an awesome husband :) I don’t think my husband would have any idea how to use my pastry bags for the frosting. I am very impressed.

dood Courtney that is so awesome. That is the cutest surprise I’ve ever seen. What an awesome hubby!! Happy [belated] half birthday to you!! & Happy [belated again] birthday to the hubs and the kitty!!

Trackbacks

1. […] Skip to content Skip to content HomeMy StoryContact MeBe a Fashionista!Q & A’sQ&A's – Round 1Q&A's – Round 2Q&A's – Round 3Q&A's – Round 4Q&A's – Round 5FavoritesBlog Love"Just Because" PostsWorkout & Fitness PostsCody PostsRestaurants (local and travel)RecipesBreads/MuffinsBreakfastCookies/Cookie BarsCupcakes & FrostingsDinnersPies/Trifles/Truffles/Candies/CrispsSalads/Sides/Odds & EndsWeddingHoneymoon in St. LuciaCourtney & JayGetting ReadyFlowersWedding PartyFamilyCeremonyDecorations & DetailsReceptionRehearsal DinnerWorkouts30 Minute Speedy Interval Run45 Minute Treadmill WorkoutWorkout Log30 Minute Calorie Blast30 Minute Interval RunIncline Treadmill WorkoutShop ← My Half Birthday Surprise […]