Another New Walking Routine

by Courtney on August 8, 2011

Alright, we’re just about back to some regularly scheduled blogging…WOOO!

Well, even though we’re back to regular blogging, I think my body is still working on getting back to its regular routine. While I’ve thoroughly been enjoying my early Monday morning BodyCombat classes the past few weeks, my body was just not havin’ it today. I was prepared and laid all of my stuff out last night, but as soon as the alarm sounded, I immediately shut it off and went right back to sleep.

The sleep was much needed…and I believe I am now a happy camper because of it. You’re welcome, anyone who encounters me today.

So since I never made it to class this morning, and had taken the weekend off from any sort of exercise (unless you count raising a wine glass), I needed to get my sweat on. I decided on a slightly modified version of the 5-4-3-2-1 Treadmill Run, which was actually the longest distance I’ve run (and even had the desire to run) since the beginning of July! It felt gooooooood.

Mid-run, I started thinking of ways that I could modify this routine into a walking one. I had such a great response from many of you on the last walking treadmill routine I gave you all, that I figured I’d do another one. So, here you go!

5-4-3-2-1 Treadmill Walk

54321 treadmill walk

As always, feel free to adjust the times to best suit your own speed. For some of my shorter-legged friends out there, the 4.6’s may be too speedy for you. But give it a try, and see what works best!

*****

Lunch

I don’t care if today’s lunch gives me tummy troubles. I was craving veggies in a bad way this afternoon!

I made up a simple salad, filled with:

• spinach
  • fresh cherry tomatoes (from my friend’s garden)
  • cucumbers
  • hard boiled egg white
  • bread and butter pickles
  • leftover bbq chicken (don’t worry, it passed the eyeball and sniff test with flying colors)
  • honey mustard (for the dressing)

I don’t think I’d ever tried just regular honey mustard as a dressing on my salads, but I will say that I think I’ll do it again. I liked it!

And can I just talk for a second about the tomatoes? I mean, I love tomatoes all year round, but once they’re finally in season AND fresh out of a homegrown garden? Oh gosh…it doesn’t get much better than that!

Now it’s time to head to the grocery store so we can get some more food up in this house…I’m out of bananas. Imagine the horror?!?

Question for the Afternoon:

Okay, I’m curious…what is your average “walking speed” on a treadmill? Say, what do you walk at comfortably, and what is your absolute max?

If you want to, throw your height in there too so we can compare! (Remember, it’s a No Judgment Zone here!)

1 Lindsey August 8, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Walking comfortably 4.2, max maybe 4.8 or so, I have never tried it! I am 5′ 2″ ;)

2 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn August 8, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Hehehe I am 5′ 2.25″. Yessss that quarter of an inch matters a lot!!! My max walking speed is like 4.2, after that I’m basically tripping over myself :) I use ketchup a lot as a salad dressing, it is sooooo good, maybe I’m just not a huge mustard fan!

3 Lee @ in the pink of condition August 8, 2011 at 3:40 pm

i am EXACTLY the same height! so weird! i usually only walk after a hard run, so i’m usually going at a snail’s pace, like 3.0 haha

4 Shayla @ The Good Life August 8, 2011 at 1:38 pm

I’m 5’8″ and my comfortable speed walking on a treadmill is about 3.5…absolute max is about 4.5 :)

5 Cat @Breakfast to Bed August 8, 2011 at 1:39 pm

about 4.5-8 I’m 6′ so my strides are pretty long. 3.5 if it’s a recovery portion.

6 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life August 8, 2011 at 1:42 pm

I’m not sure what my average walking speed is because I rarely use a treadmill, but I’m 6’1 and a really fast walker. I often get told to slow down when walking with someone with shorter legs.

7 Amanda August 8, 2011 at 1:43 pm

I’m 5’9″ with long legs and I’d say 4.7 or 4.8 would be my max, but once it gets to that point, I’d rather just bump it up and run!

8 Ruthie Hart August 8, 2011 at 1:44 pm

thank you once again!! I am heading to the gym in about a half hour and think I may have to try this one out. And you are right, I am just under 5 feet with short legs and 4.6 is running for me! A fast walk for me is 4.3 or so!

9 Lauren @ Sugar Coated Sisters August 8, 2011 at 1:48 pm

I’ll walk at a 4.2 and I’m 5’8″… problem I have (and I know it’s a bad habit), is shoving the incline up to 15 and then holding on. I figure I’m giving my arms a workout though…. right?

10 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 8, 2011 at 1:49 pm

I’m 5’7 and my max walking speed is about 4.3, my comfortable walking speed is about 3.7.
There are some fast walkers out there so far!

11 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health August 8, 2011 at 1:51 pm

I’m 5’4″ ish and I usually walk at 4.0-4.2. I think my max is 4.5- but I can’t really maintain that for too long or if I’m on a steep incline.

12 Cait @ Cait hates Cake August 8, 2011 at 1:53 pm

My max is about 4.5. I usually walk slower than that though (I’m 5’6). Ugh, bananas are that one food that we are constantly running out of!

13 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss August 8, 2011 at 1:57 pm

you had me at “pretty honey mustard dressing.” that looks awesome.

14 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss August 8, 2011 at 1:58 pm

aaaand I’m 5’8 3/4″ ;) (hey, it counts)

15 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine August 8, 2011 at 1:59 pm

I’m 5′ 10″ and my comfortable walking speed is around 4 mph.

16 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss August 8, 2011 at 1:59 pm

shoot! I keep hitting “tab, enter” before I’m finished my comment. AND I WALK REALLY FAST.

there. I’m done this time. sorry about that. ;)

17 Whitley August 8, 2011 at 2:00 pm

i’m 5″1 so 3.5 is a good walking speed for me..haha! when i run, i run at 5.0, 5.5 max…if i go up to 6.0 i fear i might fly off!

18 Taylor @ Crumbs Don't Count August 8, 2011 at 2:03 pm

I love home grown tomato sandwiches! They are soooo juicy and fresh tasting!

I am 5’6″ and can walk at 4-4.2 max without holding on…I have never really tried to walk any faster, but imagine it wouldn’t be pretty!

19 Bethany August 8, 2011 at 2:12 pm

I’m 5’3 and my walking speed on the treadmill is always 4.5 :)

20 Jen N August 8, 2011 at 2:19 pm

I’m 5’6″ and my max walking speed right now is 4.0, but I could probably go to 4.2, if I really pushed it. (That’s a huge improvement for me because I used to jog at 4.0) :)

21 e@thisnotedlife August 8, 2011 at 2:21 pm

I’m about 5’2″ and i’d say i max out at about 4.2 – after that i feel like my legs are movin so fast i’d rather just run :)

22 Lindsay August 8, 2011 at 2:27 pm

I’m 5’1 and I go about 4.9 or 5…I look a little silly with my arms a pumpin, but it gives me a great workout!

23 Katie @ Changing Patterns August 8, 2011 at 2:38 pm

When I do my workout warm up I usually do 3.0 and I’m 5’3″.

24 Nicole August 8, 2011 at 2:44 pm

I’m laughing at your banana comment…I swear, I’m always either out of them and going nuts because I need one or I have a bunch getting brown on the counter and can’t find a way to use them. It’s never just right!

I’m 5’5″ and I would say my comfortable speed is 3.5, with 4.0 being my “workout” speed. My max is between 4.5 & 4.7.

25 Courtney August 8, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Oh my gosh, it’s so true, right?!? It’s one extreme of the other…

26 Aine @ Something to Chew Over August 8, 2011 at 2:52 pm

I’ve never walked on a treadmill so I’m not sure! I think my walk to work is about 3 miles and that takes me 40-45 minutes.

I’m 5’5!

27 Ashley @ Healthy Heroine August 8, 2011 at 2:57 pm

I’m 5’7″ (with short legs!) and I comfortably walk around 3.8 and my max is probably 4.5. Any faster than that and I’m basically doing a light jog.

28 Mallory @ It's Only Life August 8, 2011 at 3:03 pm

I’m 5’5″ and my “go-to” walking speed has always been 4.0. If I want to light jog, I’ll do 5.0, and “running” is anything 6+ for me. But that’s just my way of viewing it & what’s best for myself!

29 Camilla August 8, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Warm up walk is 3.5 if I’m lazy, but usually 4.0. Max walking is 4.7! :D

30 Camilla August 8, 2011 at 5:47 pm

I’m 5’7.5! I guess 2 Q’s are too much for me to handle at once! ;)

31 Girl In The Pink August 8, 2011 at 3:10 pm

I’m 5’1 {and 1/2} and I always walk at 4.0 on a treadmill – I never go faster or slower. I usually just do a couple minutes warm up/cool down at 4.0!

32 Katie August 8, 2011 at 3:13 pm

When I do walking intervals, my typical speed is about 4.4 or 4.5 mph. I think I did 4.6 once when I tried to add some extra distance on my workout (I’m sure that .1mph made a HUGE difference, right?!). Much faster than that and I consider myself jogging. I’m pretty leggy since I’m 5’8″…ready for this…I wear “long” or “tall” in pants, and “petites” in dresses! I’m a freak like that.

33 Courtney August 8, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Really?!? Now that is interesting :)

34 elysie August 8, 2011 at 3:51 pm

You know I may have to try on a petite in dresses. They never (!!!!) fit me! I have tried on hundreds of dresses in all styles and they’re usually too big on top for me. I’m 5’8″ too and a normal weight so I’ve never understood why it’s so hard to find a dress that fits.

35 Andrea August 8, 2011 at 3:24 pm

Yay I am excited to try this one out! I have been on a walking kick since I have been on a workout hiatis, the last one kicked my butt though! And thanks for the “short leg” shout out, I always have to slow them down a little or else I am sprinting haha

36 Ashley@MyFoodFitnessFun August 8, 2011 at 3:53 pm

I’m 5’7″ but have short legs. :( Sad day. I walk comfortably at 3.8 mph. My max “walking speed” would probably be between 4.2 and 4.5 (depends on the day ;) ).

37 Sam August 8, 2011 at 4:34 pm

I’m 5’3, but I have a long torso and short legs, so a comfy speed for me is about 3.5. I have been doing your sweaty mess walking routines and when I get to the 4.somethings, I feel like I look rediculous trying to keep up! But it’s a great workout, and I truly am a sweaty mess when done!

38 Jenna (Fit Girl's Martini) August 8, 2011 at 5:48 pm

I loove using mustard as a dressing! Spicy Brown is my fav.

I am 5’5′ and my comfortable pace is about 3.5-3.8. It starts to get challenging at 4.0 and love to add an incline for the glutes at 4.2!

39 Kristen @ notsodomesticated August 8, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Comfortable pace on a treadmill is between 3.9-4.1 … I can go higher, but that’s comfortable but a quick pace for me.

And p.s. I love honey mustard!!!! Of course, I love all condiments. ;)

40 Maria August 8, 2011 at 5:59 pm

4.0 if there is something good on tv. 4.5 if I’m motivated to speedwalk. Any faster than that and it becomes easier to run. I’m 5’6″ btw.

41 Khushboo August 9, 2011 at 12:51 am

I’m 5’3 and my max is between 4.5-4.7!

42 Brittany August 9, 2011 at 10:13 am

It depends on if I start walking first thing comfortable speed for me is about 4.0 but if I’m recovering from a hard run then it could also be 3.8. I can walk pretty fast though and still be comfortable so i’d say my max is 4.5 or maybe even a little higher. I’m 5’8 or 5’9 !