Mine Was 10x Better

by Courtney on September 8, 2011

Usually, if I ask Jay in the mornings what he’d like for dinner on any given night, I’m typically given a response along the lines of, “Umm, I don’t know…doesn’t really matter to me.”

Yeah. Considering this is usually my response, paired with the fact that I’m also probably one of the most indecisive people you’ll ever meet, that’s not exactly the answer I like to hear.

But this morning, I got a different answer. This morning, when I asked Jay what he’d like to have for dinner tonight, he hesitated slightly and then responded with hopeful, bright eyes,

“How about tacos?”

Tacos?!? How did he know that I’ve been craving some Chipotle in a bad way these past few days? I was in!

So while hubby got his tacos (ground beef and all), I hand-crafted a beautiful, amazingly delicious Chipotle-style burrito bowl for myself.

It was a thing of beauty. And, actually, quite easy to make. Here’s what you need to do…

First, you need to make the special Chipotle Cilantro-Lime rice. This is crucial. And if you want a great recipe, use this one from SkinnyTaste. It was perfect.

Next, make some pico de gallo. To make mine, I simply threw together:

• 1 diced tomato
  • red onion (~1/8 cup?)
  • minced garlic
  • Juice from 1/2 a lime
  • fresh cilantro
  • salt & pepper

Once those two things were taken care of, I simply started tossing everything into the bowl, which included:

• Cilantro-lime rice
  • shredded green leaf lettuce
  • pico de gallo
  • black beans
  • some leftover corn and the last couple pieces of leftover Mexican chicken
  • avocado
  • sprinkle of shredded cheese
  • dollop of salsa and plain Greek yogurt

I’m going to go right ahead and say that my burrito bowl was 10x better than Chipotle’s. Sorry, Chipotle. You ain’t got nothin’ on me! Winking smile

I’m hoping that I’ll be able to stay up late enough for some Jersey Shore action tonight, but I’m not sure whether or not my eyelids are quite on board. We’ll see how that goes!

Question for the Evening:

Have you ever tried to re-create any of your favorite restaurant meals at home? How did it compare to the real thing?

1 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries September 8, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Yum! I LOVE Chipotle’s burrito bowls, so I’ll have to give this a whirl!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Brightening Someone’s Day

2 Sweet and Savvy September 8, 2011 at 8:26 pm

Wow! I have never been to Chipotle before, but I am loving this recipe idea.:)
Sweet and Savvy recently posted..It’s okay if…

3 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey September 8, 2011 at 8:37 pm

I usually get the same response when it comes to dinner. But the Husband’s eyes light up if I mention mexican or spaghetti!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..totally truthful thursday (video blog)

4 Samantha @ Running and Cupcakes September 8, 2011 at 8:38 pm

That looks almost exactly like my salad from last night that was inspired by your salad from earlier in the week! LOL

Next time I’m totally trying it with the cilantro lime rice though, that sounds delicious! I’ve never ever been to Chipotle, am I missing out?
Samantha @ Running and Cupcakes recently posted..Ch Ch Ch Changes…

5 Courtney September 8, 2011 at 8:40 pm

It is pretty awesome…definitely worth checking out, in my opinion ;)

6 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake September 8, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Now I’m craving Chipotle!!!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..7 Things

7 Melissa September 8, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Looks awesome! I make a homemade version of Panera’s turkey artichoke panini that is delicious! Better than the real deal, IMO! :D
Melissa recently posted..The Return of the Salad

8 Jay September 8, 2011 at 8:47 pm

No Jersey Shore tonight! FOOTBALL IS ON!

9 Erin @ The Grass Skirt September 8, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Your dinner looks so good! I love Chipotle, so I need to try making this at home. There’s a restaurant near me called Sullivan’s, and I’ve recreated their marinated mushrooms. They weren’t as good, but they were close! According to my husband, I’ve also recreated the Burger King secret sauce. I just didn’t know it!
Erin @ The Grass Skirt recently posted..The deal with digestive enzymes

10 Clare @ Fitting It All In September 8, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Faux-chipotle was my favorite thing to make for my boyfriend. He got chicken, I got black beans, we both got happiness!
Clare @ Fitting It All In recently posted..Early Morning Lesson Learned

11 Lauren (Healthy Delicious) September 8, 2011 at 9:03 pm

I love chipotle bowls! we had tacos last night and I had something very similar with the leftovers (minus the rice) for lunch today.
Lauren (Healthy Delicious) recently posted..Roasted Eggplant & Red Pepper Dip

12 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health September 8, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Um, is comment 8 from your hubby?? haha…and your burrito bowl looks absolutely amazing! I’m pretty indecisive myself and so is my bf- that can make it really hard to figure out what we want to do.

13 Courtney September 8, 2011 at 9:32 pm

LOL, yes it is. He’s quite a character :)

14 Faith @ For the Health of It September 8, 2011 at 9:10 pm

I actually made my own batch of Chipotle-style rice the other night! I didn’t go off of a recipe, but it was delicious. Chipotle’s guac had mine beat by a long shot though – that stuff is the bomb!

15 Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 8, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Haha, a girl on the transit today was talking to her friend and said “Tacos? Tacos sound freaking ammazzing now.” Guess tacos were the theme tonight for a few people! ;)
Mary @ Bites and Bliss recently posted..Feel for Frogger

16 Ari @ Ari's Menu September 8, 2011 at 9:23 pm

I love Chipotle and the one by me has brown rice now which meant I went there like 4 times in 2 weeks when I found out haha. I always want to recreate it at home, but I am totally incapable of cooking rice. It’s the weirdest thing. I cook way harder things that come out great, but my rice (and even quinoa) without fail is always crunchy.
Ari @ Ari’s Menu recently posted..I love Fajita Wednesday!

17 Molly September 8, 2011 at 9:36 pm

all the time! and i find that what i recreate at home is (often) much better than what I had at the restaurant! This is probably because I know exactly what is put into it and know it’s super healthy!
Molly recently posted..TACKY!

18 Emmarie @ Bananas and Beer September 8, 2011 at 9:38 pm

You need to get your hands on this cookbook. And healthify some of the recipes.

I don’t make alot from it because the recipes are pretty involved, but its still fun.
Emmarie @ Bananas and Beer recently posted..Nasty Mac and More Books

19 kristen September 8, 2011 at 10:01 pm

haha im watching jersey shore while I read this post (great minds think alike haha)
dinner looks delicious!

20 Brittany September 8, 2011 at 10:20 pm

I just had a similar salad the other night! With black beans and corn. I’ve only had Chipotle once, and I wasn’t impressed. So I’d definitely rather make it at home. So much better! :D

21 Claire September 8, 2011 at 10:25 pm

You are my hero, Courtney! I love how you’re like, “I just threw this together. Simple.” If I “threw” something together it would just be in regards to me taking the trash out to the can haha. That burrito bowl looks phenom. I think the rice is the key there :-)
Claire recently posted..Gotta Have Faith a’ Faith!

22 Lindsay@bikingbeforebed September 8, 2011 at 10:59 pm

I have made very similar burrito bowls… they are always delicious! There was a “copycat” recipe in Food Network magazine a few months ago for the Chipotle corn salsa that I have been wanting to try. That stuff is so addicting!
Lindsay@bikingbeforebed recently posted..Running by the Sea

23 Courtney September 8, 2011 at 11:03 pm

Oooo, really? I’ll have to check that out! ;)

24 Danica @ It's Progression Not Perfection September 8, 2011 at 11:00 pm

That recipe looks SO good–I’m definitely trying it soon!
I try to recreate a lot of restaurant salads and also pasta dishes sometimes, since those are typically the easiest : )
Danica @ It’s Progression Not Perfection recently posted..money talk

25 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 8, 2011 at 11:08 pm

I LOVE chipotle’s burrito bowls, I’ve never tried recreating them at home but definitely should. I’m gonna check out that rice. It sounds delicious!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..It’s official!

26 katie @ the purposeful woman September 8, 2011 at 11:13 pm

Oh my! That looks so fresh and good! Will have to make that rice sometime–i love Mexican flavors!!
katie @ the purposeful woman recently posted..Kinda Gorgeous

27 Alba&Dilek @TwoBaklavaStory September 8, 2011 at 11:27 pm

That looks soo so fresh! love the greek yogurt on top!
Alba&Dilek @TwoBaklavaStory recently posted..Bak Bak Baaaaak

28 Liz @ Tip Top Shape September 8, 2011 at 11:54 pm

That burrito bowl looks so good!! Definitely a great choice to recreate at home! I recently made one of my favorite restaurant salads at home. The key was the Goddess dressing. Once I put it on, I didn’t feel like it was just something I threw together.
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Pasta with Eggplant and Tomato Caponata

29 Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel September 8, 2011 at 11:58 pm

HOLY BURRITO BOWL! haha, this looks WAAAAAAY better than anything ive seen :)
Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel recently posted..Cheezy Vegetable Bake

30 Brittany @ Life of a Bama Girl September 9, 2011 at 12:01 am

I love Chipotle burrito bowls and yours looks even better! I must try making the rice. I have made chicken lettuce wraps before and they turned out great! I have not ordered them at PF Changs since.
Brittany @ Life of a Bama Girl recently posted..Animal Lover

31 Khushboo September 9, 2011 at 12:30 am

I’ve been making something similar this whole week- my tastebuds can’t get enough of Mexican! The combo of salsa, Greek yog and avocado is unbeatable! Try this recipe for taco burgers the next time Jay or you crave tacos: combine mince (I use veggie but ground beef, chicken, turkey would be fab too) with oats, chopped onions, carrots and red peppers. Stir in taco seasoning and form into pattie shapes and grill for 5 mins on both sides, or till golden brown- Soo freaking yum!
Khushboo recently posted..Brown paper bag: week 4

32 Michelle (The Runner's Plate) September 9, 2011 at 12:44 am

My husband says the same thing when I ask him what he wants for dinner. I don’t think guys think ahead like we do. Food is always on my mind!!
Michelle (The Runner’s Plate) recently posted..The Crazy Things Runners Do

33 Jen M. September 9, 2011 at 2:50 am

MMMMMM, I love Chipotle and I love burrito bowls! I do them all the time!!! I always get the vegetarian burrito bowl at Chipotle, rice, beans, fajita veggies, pico, salsa, lettuce, cheese, sour cream, GUACAMOLE!!! I luuuuurve their guacamole, so so so yummy!

I recreate restaurant meals at home all the time. The other night I did a healthified pasta with sausage and peppers — chicken basil sausage from New Seasons (they make it in house, so it’s super fresh and healthy) cooked up with water to keep it from sticking to the pan since it doesn’t produce oil like Italian sausage does, tomato sauce, garlic, dried oregano, fresh ground sea salt & peppercorns, red pepper flakes, and then then brought that all to a boil, then threw in some red, green, and yellow peppers and red onions that I had sauteed/steamed in just a bit of chicken stock the night before and had leftovers of, and whole wheat rotini (I always cook my pasta in a salty pot of water though, something I’ve noticed you tend to omit, I just can’t stop though, I think it really changes the flavor of the pasta when it’s cooked in salted water!), and then just before serving, threw in a bunch of fresh basil, and then topped with some mozzarella… seriously JUST as satisfying as similar dishes at Italian places but guilt-free! And best thing was, it was done in like a half hour!

Glad you’re feeling better!!

34 Heather September 9, 2011 at 8:04 am

THANK YOU!!! We don’t have Chipotle up here in Canada but I LOVE it when I’m visiting the US. I can’t wait to make this now! ((I made your pumpkin spice muffins as a loaf for my co-workers and I became very popular! Thanks for that too!))
Heather recently posted..What you need to know before you take those meds

35 Hope September 9, 2011 at 8:47 am

This burrito bowl does look a million times better than Chipotle’s! It looks delicious! Now, I really want Mexican food and it’s not even 9am yet! Haha!
Hope recently posted..Hungry Girl’s BLT Mac ‘n Cheese…

36 heather September 9, 2011 at 8:53 am

I hate trying to decide what to cook! My hubby does the I don’t care thing too, so frustrating! I have tried recreating a few things….mainly desserts!
heather recently posted..Friday Favorites: CWX Tights

37 Jodi September 9, 2011 at 9:43 am

I love taco/burrito salads! You can eat alot and not feel super-guilty about it! Your lucky your husband will eat ANY veggies at all because mine won’t…

Ahh..Jersey Shore! I can’t peel my eyes away from that show. Have a great weekend!
Jodi recently posted..It’s In the Air

38 Janae Jacobs September 9, 2011 at 10:19 am

THAT LOOKS AMAZING, I NEED THAT IN MY LIFE RIGHT NOW!
Janae Jacobs recently posted..Fall Foods and Drawers Full of…….

39 e@thisnotedlife September 12, 2011 at 1:07 pm

burrito bowls are my absolute favorite!

40 Shannon September 12, 2011 at 3:26 pm

that salad looks so good and colorful :)
Shannon recently posted..Going Bananas!