Mine Was 10x Better

Usually, if I ask Jay in the mornings what he’d like for dinner on any given night, I’m typically given a response along the lines of, “Umm, I don’t know…doesn’t really matter to me.”

Yeah. Considering this is usually my response, paired with the fact that I’m also probably one of the most indecisive people you’ll ever meet, that’s not exactly the answer I like to hear.

But this morning, I got a different answer. This morning, when I asked Jay what he’d like to have for dinner tonight, he hesitated slightly and then responded with hopeful, bright eyes,

“How about tacos?”

Tacos?!? How did he know that I’ve been craving some Chipotle in a bad way these past few days? I was in!

So while hubby got his tacos (ground beef and all), I hand-crafted a beautiful, amazingly delicious Chipotle-style burrito bowl for myself.

It was a thing of beauty. And, actually, quite easy to make. Here’s what you need to do…

First, you need to make the special Chipotle Cilantro-Lime rice. This is crucial. And if you want a great recipe, use this one from SkinnyTaste. It was perfect.

Next, make some pico de gallo. To make mine, I simply threw together:

• 1 diced tomato
  • red onion (~1/8 cup?)
  • minced garlic
  • Juice from 1/2 a lime
  • fresh cilantro
  • salt & pepper

Once those two things were taken care of, I simply started tossing everything into the bowl, which included:

• Cilantro-lime rice
  • shredded green leaf lettuce
  • pico de gallo
  • black beans
  • some leftover corn and the last couple pieces of leftover Mexican chicken
  • avocado
  • sprinkle of shredded cheese
  • dollop of salsa and plain Greek yogurt

I’m going to go right ahead and say that my burrito bowl was 10x better than Chipotle’s. Sorry, Chipotle. You ain’t got nothin’ on me! Winking smile

I’m hoping that I’ll be able to stay up late enough for some Jersey Shore action tonight, but I’m not sure whether or not my eyelids are quite on board. We’ll see how that goes!

Question for the Evening:

Have you ever tried to re-create any of your favorite restaurant meals at home? How did it compare to the real thing?

Comments

Your dinner looks so good! I love Chipotle, so I need to try making this at home. There’s a restaurant near me called Sullivan’s, and I’ve recreated their marinated mushrooms. They weren’t as good, but they were close! According to my husband, I’ve also recreated the Burger King secret sauce. I just didn’t know it!
    Erin @ The Grass Skirt recently posted..The deal with digestive enzymes

I love Chipotle and the one by me has brown rice now which meant I went there like 4 times in 2 weeks when I found out haha. I always want to recreate it at home, but I am totally incapable of cooking rice. It’s the weirdest thing. I cook way harder things that come out great, but my rice (and even quinoa) without fail is always crunchy.
    Ari @ Ari’s Menu recently posted..I love Fajita Wednesday!

all the time! and i find that what i recreate at home is (often) much better than what I had at the restaurant! This is probably because I know exactly what is put into it and know it’s super healthy!
    Molly recently posted..TACKY!

I just had a similar salad the other night! With black beans and corn. I’ve only had Chipotle once, and I wasn’t impressed. So I’d definitely rather make it at home. So much better! :D

You are my hero, Courtney! I love how you’re like, “I just threw this together. Simple.” If I “threw” something together it would just be in regards to me taking the trash out to the can haha. That burrito bowl looks phenom. I think the rice is the key there :-)
    Claire recently posted..Gotta Have Faith a’ Faith!

6. Brittany @ Life of a Bama Girl says

I love Chipotle burrito bowls and yours looks even better! I must try making the rice. I have made chicken lettuce wraps before and they turned out great! I have not ordered them at PF Changs since.
    Brittany @ Life of a Bama Girl recently posted..Animal Lover

I’ve been making something similar this whole week- my tastebuds can’t get enough of Mexican! The combo of salsa, Greek yog and avocado is unbeatable! Try this recipe for taco burgers the next time Jay or you crave tacos: combine mince (I use veggie but ground beef, chicken, turkey would be fab too) with oats, chopped onions, carrots and red peppers. Stir in taco seasoning and form into pattie shapes and grill for 5 mins on both sides, or till golden brown- Soo freaking yum!
    Khushboo recently posted..Brown paper bag: week 4

8. Jen M. says

MMMMMM, I love Chipotle and I love burrito bowls! I do them all the time!!! I always get the vegetarian burrito bowl at Chipotle, rice, beans, fajita veggies, pico, salsa, lettuce, cheese, sour cream, GUACAMOLE!!! I luuuuurve their guacamole, so so so yummy!

I recreate restaurant meals at home all the time. The other night I did a healthified pasta with sausage and peppers — chicken basil sausage from New Seasons (they make it in house, so it’s super fresh and healthy) cooked up with water to keep it from sticking to the pan since it doesn’t produce oil like Italian sausage does, tomato sauce, garlic, dried oregano, fresh ground sea salt & peppercorns, red pepper flakes, and then then brought that all to a boil, then threw in some red, green, and yellow peppers and red onions that I had sauteed/steamed in just a bit of chicken stock the night before and had leftovers of, and whole wheat rotini (I always cook my pasta in a salty pot of water though, something I’ve noticed you tend to omit, I just can’t stop though, I think it really changes the flavor of the pasta when it’s cooked in salted water!), and then just before serving, threw in a bunch of fresh basil, and then topped with some mozzarella… seriously JUST as satisfying as similar dishes at Italian places but guilt-free! And best thing was, it was done in like a half hour!

Glad you’re feeling better!!

I love taco/burrito salads! You can eat alot and not feel super-guilty about it! Your lucky your husband will eat ANY veggies at all because mine won’t…

Ahh..Jersey Shore! I can’t peel my eyes away from that show. Have a great weekend!
    Jodi recently posted..It’s In the Air