(Un)Football Food

by Courtney on September 11, 2011

It’s the first official Sunday of NFL football, and as you may or may not already know…in this house, Sundays are for football! I am so excited for the beginning of football season; there’s always so much fun involved with football games for us.

Despite the excitement, it was actually a fairly low-key football Sunday for us; Jay and I both had some things to take care of around the house, and didn’t really spend too much time watching the earlier games. That doesn’t mean, however, that we didn’t continue checking in on our football pool picks.

That’s right my friends, I am in a football pool. I made my picks, really have no idea what I’m doing, and am keeping my fingers crossed. So far, my picks are looking about 50/50, but I’ll take it.

Being the first official football Sunday, you’d think that Jay and I would have had our usual spread of snacks and goodies; but since it was just the two of us and we’d been working most of the day, we didn’t really take advantage. Instead, we had probably one of the most un-football related meals you could think of…

Take-out sushi, thank you very much.

Which Cody was also all over

Earlier today Jay suggested sushi and I practically peed my pants. I absolutely love the fact that he will now suggest sushi without me having to beg him to go and get it. I was immediately sold.

Our order came with miso soup, salad, and a free egg roll; we didn’t eat much of the soup, I devoured the salad, and we shared the egg roll.

IMG_7913IMG_7917

I realized on my way home from picking up our order that I had completely forgotten to order one of my rolls. Typically, I will chow down three sushi rolls with no problem, but luckily, Jay shared half of his spicy tuna roll with me. He’s such a keeper. Winking smile

For Him: California + Sweet Potato + 1/2 Spicy Tuna rolls

For Her: California + Salmon + 1/2 Spicy Tuna rolls (missing: my beloved Alaska roll…)

All of our sushi tonight was delicious (for the locals, we ordered from Okinawa) but I have an issue that I need some of your help with…

I cannot…for the life of me…hold a pair of chopsticks.

I am literally a mess when I try using them. Somehow, I’m still able to pick up about 90% of my sushi rolls with success, but I look like a complete tool while doing it.

Any tips for my pathetic chopstick skills? Please…send ‘em my way! Eye rolling smile

As for my fortune cookie fortune for tonight…

it was rather fitting, wouldn’t you say? Smile

*****

There’s only about another hour until the BIG game for today…my JETS are playing! And guess what…

I’m excited! I’m actually slightly jealous, knowing that my dad and brother are currently sitting in the stands at the game right now, but it’s okay…I’ll be down there next Sunday. Open-mouthed smile

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Question for the Evening:

Please…help me with the chopsticks. Any tips?

1 Jess@atasteofconfidence September 11, 2011 at 7:43 pm

I am so bad at using chopsticks. Ugh! My bills won today (what a surprise!)
Jess@atasteofconfidence recently posted..When the world stopped turning…

2 Samantha September 11, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Im just as pathetic when it comes to chopsticks – last time I went out for sushi, my friends got me the children chopsticks so they didn’t have to watch me struggle!
Samantha recently posted..The Invevitable Burnout

3 Courtney September 11, 2011 at 7:48 pm

What?!? Children’s chopsticks? Where can I find some of these…I need them!

4 Samantha September 11, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Ask at your sushi restaurant next time you go. They call them either beginner’s chopsticks or children’s. Basically, they are held together with a rubber band or something like that, so that all you do is squeeze them together to pick up your food.
Samantha recently posted..The Invevitable Burnout

5 Sweet and Savvy September 11, 2011 at 7:44 pm

I cannot even get food ON chopsticks, let alone eat with them.
Sweet and Savvy recently posted..Remembering Sunday

6 Jen September 11, 2011 at 7:44 pm

I wish I could help you with the chopsticks, but I would lying if I gave you any advice. I suck too. Even when I manage to hold them, I know I’m holding them incorrectly. Like you, I can pick up a pice of sushi with them, but forget about eating a bowl of rice or anything else substantial. Fork, please!

7 shaffy September 11, 2011 at 7:55 pm

heeheehee…. chopstick conundrum :) where i am from, they do sell “trainer chopsticks”. for right-handers and lefthanders (but mostly for kids). my 5yo son used it to play around with it while eating his dinner, even eating his spaghetti with it at one point. but when it comes to sushi or sashimi….. he prefers to do it au naturel, with his fingers. ;D so…. if i manage to grab a few pairs of adult-sized ones, do you by any chance want them?

8 Mallory @ It's Only Life September 11, 2011 at 8:05 pm

i say ditch the chopsticks and get a fork. but that is just me being impatient — I like to shove food in my mouth as fast as possible :)
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..No Holding Back

9 Mallory @ It's Only Life September 11, 2011 at 8:06 pm

p.s go jets!
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..No Holding Back

10 pat September 11, 2011 at 8:10 pm

That picture of you and your brother is one of my favorites! No chopsticks in my house……..sorry
GO JETS!!!

11 Melissa September 11, 2011 at 8:25 pm

You’re holding them right! You just keep the lower one stationary–kind of resting in the crook of your thumb and use the top one as kind of a pincher. The top one, you’re supposed to hold kind of like a pencil. And hold them both a little closer to the top of the stick. It gives you more control. My dad spent a lot of time in Japan when we were kids and he taught all of us how to use chopsticks. I wish I could show you in person–I KNOW you could get it!!!
Melissa recently posted..The Word That Shall Not Be Named

12 Liz @ Something To Chew Om September 11, 2011 at 8:27 pm

I can’t use them either!!! At. All. I wish I could help…and if you happen to learn, pass on the lesson please!! :)
Liz @ Something To Chew Om recently posted..Happy Saturday!

13 Lauren September 11, 2011 at 8:39 pm

So fun!!! I think the fact that you were watching the game and eating sushi entitles you to use your hands. You’ve just made sushi into a definite football food with that. ;)
Lauren recently posted..Technical Difficulties: The Blog Must Go On

14 Kathryn September 11, 2011 at 8:50 pm

I don’t know how to explain it. Next time I’m around a pair of chopsticks, I’ll try to take a pic and send it. I love chopsticks, I always get them at restaurants and such, though I always forget to ask for them when I get takeout.
I just can’t do sushi, I don’t know why. I don’t like fish, so I’ve tried other sushi, but I just can’t do it. Maybe it’s the wrap? I don’t know, something about it makes it super hard to swallow. However, I like going to sushi restaurants for the tempura and other stuff.
My Cardinals played today…and won! We had an awesome start, then a really rocky middle, but came back strong to beat the Panthers.

15 Aska September 11, 2011 at 9:02 pm

There are chopstick holding helpers called Fun Chop that could help you out with holding your chopsticks! I discovered them while I worked at a Japanese restaurant and they seem to help people use chopsticks more efficiently. Here’s the link: http://www.funchop.com/index.php.

BUT, I’m sure you won’t need to order them online. I would ask your local Japanese restaurant if they have them for their customers to use the next time you eat sushi!

16 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 11, 2011 at 9:05 pm

I’m pretty horrendous at chopsticks too but I refuse to give up. Every time I’ll try and stick with it, it will just take me 3x longer than usual to eat my food :)
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Philadelphia half marathon training plan

17 Kristen @ notsodomesticated September 11, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Haha you’re so funny. And you’re right … sushi is about as “un-football” as you can get! But hey, it tastes good, right?! :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Chicago Street Show

18 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey September 11, 2011 at 9:13 pm

I’m HORRIBLE with chopsticks! The Husband has to instruct me every time. He’s really good at it. I could easily down 3-4 rolls of sushi – they’re so good!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..9/11 – where were you?

19 Lindsay@bikingbeforebed September 11, 2011 at 9:41 pm

I didn’t know there was such thing as a sweet potato roll! Tell Jay he has good taste and I can’t wait to try one. Next time you are in an Asian restaurant ask the server to help you. They are always so excited to teach!
Lindsay@bikingbeforebed recently posted..Saturday Supper Club: Mexican Style

20 Krissie J @ A Philly Nerd Girl September 11, 2011 at 10:26 pm

I’m rooting for your Jets tonight! ;) They need to pull it together and destroy the Cowboys! I wish I could give you tips on the chops, but I can’t really do it without visual demo. Props for picking the Eagles this week. ;) I would’ve been way upset if they had lost to the fricken Rams.
Krissie J @ A Philly Nerd Girl recently posted..Rise and Run

21 Lauren @ Fun, Fit and FAbulous September 11, 2011 at 10:41 pm

I”m so terrible at chopsticks but your meal looks amazing!! I love sushi with a large part of my heart! :) I’m watching the Jets Cowboys game right now too!
Lauren @ Fun, Fit and FAbulous recently posted..Herb Garden Fun

22 Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill September 11, 2011 at 10:50 pm

I’m awful with chopsticks so I just use my hands :)
Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill recently posted..Heidi Klum. Lindsay Lohan. Sally Anne.

23 Danielle September 11, 2011 at 11:39 pm

I’m 1/4 Japanese and some days I can’t even work the chopsticks. (But you should see my grandma! ;))
Just to help you out with your technique, in the picture you’ve posted it looks like you are holding the chopsticks too far apart. I press the lower one against my middle finger and the upper one against my pointer finger. You use your pointer finger to do the “squeezing”.
A GREAT way to figure it all out is to tie the tops together with a rubber band! It’s what I did as a kid when I ate at my grandma’s and really helps with stability. :)
Danielle recently posted..Better For You Pancakes

24 Ari @ Ari's Menu September 12, 2011 at 12:09 am

No matter how many times I am shown how to use chopsticks, it’s no use. If you find the magical answer, can you please post a video or something?! :O)
Ari @ Ari’s Menu recently posted..Breakfast Sammies

25 Khushboo September 12, 2011 at 1:20 am

Best choice of football food- I love sushi, but tell me- what does a spicy ‘Tina’ roll taste like? ;)!

I think I have it down with using chopsticks, I love eating with them! Why dont’t you try getting used to them with “easy chopsticks”–> the sticks are joint together with rubber bands and is a lot more easier to use and get accustomed to!
Khushboo recently posted..Best salad ever!

26 Courtney September 12, 2011 at 7:26 am

Oh gosh…would you believe I re-read that thing at least 3 times and did not catch that once?!? Thanks…heading to fix it now ;)

27 Erin @ The Grass Skirt September 12, 2011 at 7:54 am

I can’t hold chopsticks either!! My husband travels to Asia on business a lot and is awesome with them. He’s tried to teach me many times with no luck at all. I actually have a pair of “cheater’s chopsticks” with the ends bound together. I’d love to be able to eat at an Asian restaurant without having to ask for a fork!
Erin @ The Grass Skirt recently posted..Beer for dinner

28 Whitney September 12, 2011 at 8:07 am

After church Sundays are for football :)

29 Jodi September 12, 2011 at 8:33 am

I am a total klutz when it comes to chopsticks, too, but I absolutely loooove sushi! It’s so easy to eat alot when I’m around it…

My house was also a football-filled zone this weekend!
Jodi recently posted..Pigskin and Chili

30 Deirdre September 12, 2011 at 11:44 am

I’m pretty good with chopsticks. I’d say the key is to keep the bottom chopstick stationary (not moving) and don’t hold the sticks too high up.

31 jordan @ thedancingdonut September 12, 2011 at 11:57 am

try these! http://www.amazon.com/Kikkerland-EZ-Chopsticks-4-Piece-Set/dp/B000RGRGU4/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1315842932&sr=8-11

we had training chopsticks in my house from the time i was 5 on because my mom used to love eating food with them after traveling to asia all the time for work! they’re awesome, easy and kind of fun to use :)

32 Laura @ Unchartered 20s September 12, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Oooo I wish my husband would ever ever suggest sushi! He doesnt like it. I WILL get him to find a roll he enjoys though, i swear! :)
Laura @ Unchartered 20s recently posted..It’s Beginning To Look A Lot Like Autumn

33 Allison September 12, 2011 at 1:07 pm

I’m always way too hungry to use chop sticks. I have no patience. And your cat is hilarious. I don’t think I have ever had a cat that would hang out long enough to have their picture taken. lol!
Allison recently posted..{This week on Pinterest}

34 Katie @ Plates and Paste September 12, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Ha, it took me forever to learn how to us chopsticks correctly. It took a lot of my bf correcting me for me to finally get it. Sorry I can’t offer much advice…I still am not quite sure how I figured it out!
Katie @ Plates and Paste recently posted..German Food, Cigars and Boat Rides