Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

by Courtney on October 8, 2011

I realized this morning, after finishing all 101 cupcakes for tonight’s wedding (YES, I did it!), that I have been holding something back from you all for a very long time now. I can’t even believe it.

I’ve already shared my favorite vanilla buttercream frosting with you all.

I’ve shared almond buttercream frosting with you, too.

Heck, I’ve shared a lot of different frostings with you.

So how could I have ever forgotten to share my favorite chocolate buttercream frosting recipe with you?

This is really one of my favorites. You might be tempted to use chocolate that is sweetened, but don’t do it. The unsweetened chocolate is all you need, because the rest of the ingredients will take care of the sweetness factor (and coming from someone with a gigantic sweet tooth, you can take my word!).

One of the keys to getting this frosting super fluffy is to continue mixing it. Even when it looks like it’s thoroughly combined, let it keep mixing for a few more minutes on  medium speed. You’ll end up with a light, fluffy, amazingly delicious chocolate frosting that will knock your socks off!

Hopefully these will turn out to be a big hit at the wedding tonight! Smile

Question for the Afternoon:

Frosting: What’s your all-time favorite?

1 Amy October 8, 2011 at 4:34 pm

Oh man, that looks DELICIOUS! I think you could probably put that on broccoli and it would still taste good…

Hope your weekend is wonderful, Courtney!! :)

2 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 8, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Have fun at that wedding!

I’m a big fan of cream cheese frosting! Now if I could only get a vegan version to taste like the real thing…
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..oatmeal pumpkin pancakes

3 SARAH October 8, 2011 at 4:58 pm

Hi Courtney!

Do you keep the cupcakes refrigerated? I also make buttercream frosting with milk and don’t know whether or not they need to be refrigerated?

Cupcakes look delicious!!

4 Mallory @ It's Only Life October 8, 2011 at 5:45 pm

thank you SO much for the recipe! oh gosh, choosing a favorite frosting flavor is like choosing a favorite child. um.. i’m going to have to go with vanilla buttercream!
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..My Birthday Recap

5 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake October 8, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Wow; 100 cupcakes is impressive!

My favorite frosting is cream cheese!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..When do you Rest?

6 Amanda- The Nutritionist Reviews October 8, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Your cupcakes always look SO perfect!
Amanda- The Nutritionist Reviews recently posted..Total Fitness DVDs: Jackie Warner Giveaway

7 Evan Thomas October 8, 2011 at 6:52 pm

I’ve never made chocolate buttercream because the melting and cooling chocolate process always makes me think I’ll mess up and end up with some weird ganache-like frosting. If I ever get over that fear, this is definitely the recipe I’m trying.
Evan Thomas recently posted..Southwestern Stovetop Frittata

8 Katelyn@ Foodie Goes to School October 8, 2011 at 8:16 pm

Those look AMAZING! What kind of cupcakes do you use with that frosting?!
Katelyn@ Foodie Goes to School recently posted..CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES TIME.

9 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen October 8, 2011 at 8:57 pm

I’m partial to cream cheese frosting. Nothing better than a thick cream cheese frosted piece of carrot cake :) Have fun at the wedding!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..What fall is made of

10 Lindsey October 8, 2011 at 9:28 pm

I am not a icing fan usually.. weird I know! But if I had to choose my all time favorite, it would be a chocolate buttercream I made a few months ago!
Lindsey recently posted..Foodie Friday!

11 Molly@hungryhungryrunner.com October 8, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Your cupcakes look so amazing!!! Can’t believe you whipped up 101! Thanks for the frosting recipe. I’m a huge fan of buttercream!!!
Molly@hungryhungryrunner.com recently posted..Winner, Winner – Chicken Dinner!

12 Kathryn @ Flopoodle October 9, 2011 at 12:04 am

That frosting somehow manages to look stylish on those cupcakes haha! Thanks for sharing your recipe!
Kathryn @ Flopoodle recently posted..It’s Here!

13 Khushboo October 9, 2011 at 12:17 am

I’m not normally a fan of homemade frosting because it doesn’t compete with the Betty Crocker kind (I’m obsessed) but this looks like it may be worth the extra effort! Enjoy the wedding :-)
Khushboo recently posted..High 5′s

14 Kristen @ notsodomesticated October 9, 2011 at 7:43 am

Yum!! Those look amazing.

This is me being a complete blonde, but I don’t care. You mean 4 and 1/2 cups of powdered sugar, right? Not 4, 1/2 cups (which would be 2 cups)?

Yes, I know stupid question … but I may want to use this recipe, and I wouldn’t want to make a silly mistake!!! :P (I mean, my blog is called NOT-SO domesticated … I’m still working on it haha!)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..An explanation and “Whatcha Reading.”

15 Courtney October 9, 2011 at 9:59 am

Haha, yes it’s 4 and a half cups :)

16 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries October 9, 2011 at 9:45 am

Oh boy, this looks fantastic! My favorite frosting is definitely buttercream. I honestly don’t know if I’ve ever had CHOCOLATE buttercream though…I need to try it!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..One Year Ago Today…

17 Brittany October 9, 2011 at 10:28 am

Wow 101 cupcakes!! You are a trooper. I love anything chocolate so this looks awesome!

18 Amanda October 9, 2011 at 11:14 am

YUM…I love chocolate frosting. I will have to try that recipe! :)
Amanda recently posted..Quotable Sunday

19 Jess @ Jess Go Bananas October 9, 2011 at 11:17 am

I love a maple frosting!
Jess @ Jess Go Bananas recently posted..Butternut Phase

20 Shannon @ Healthiful Balance October 9, 2011 at 11:18 am

YUM! :)
Shannon @ Healthiful Balance recently posted..Pretty Good Day

21 Shelly @ Cake is a Food Group October 9, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Those cupcakes look amazing! Cream cheese frosting is my absolute favorite although your buttercream looks quite nice too. Yum!
Shelly @ Cake is a Food Group recently posted..Weight Watchers Meeting #3

22 Kristin Mac October 9, 2011 at 12:59 pm

I’m definitely going to make this frosting, it sounds SO good!
Kristin Mac recently posted..Dragon Soop & Wobbly Music

23 Lizzie October 9, 2011 at 7:40 pm

yum!! i love cupcakes!

24 Jenni April 11, 2012 at 11:40 am

Great information here. Some people say chocolate is better then anything. We have to agree 100%.

25 Jennifer September 9, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Thanks Courtney! I’m so not a baker but I’m going to give this a whirl! About how many cupcakes will this recipe frost?

26 Courtney September 9, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Depending on how much you use per cupcake, probably 1-2 dozen. I tend to get a little heavy handed, so for me, it’s probably closer to 1 dozen ;)

27 Sona February 7, 2014 at 11:08 pm

This recipe came out really smoothe and I loved it I just decided not to put that much sugar and instead of melted chocolate I used coco powder which worked just as well. Thank you so much for this recipe.