Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

I realized this morning, after finishing all 101 cupcakes for tonight’s wedding (YES, I did it!), that I have been holding something back from you all for a very long time now. I can’t even believe it.

I’ve already shared my favorite vanilla buttercream frosting with you all.

I’ve shared almond buttercream frosting with you, too.

Heck, I’ve shared a lot of different frostings with you.

So how could I have ever forgotten to share my favorite chocolate buttercream frosting recipe with you?

This is really one of my favorites. You might be tempted to use chocolate that is sweetened, but don’t do it. The unsweetened chocolate is all you need, because the rest of the ingredients will take care of the sweetness factor (and coming from someone with a gigantic sweet tooth, you can take my word!).

One of the keys to getting this frosting super fluffy is to continue mixing it. Even when it looks like it’s thoroughly combined, let it keep mixing for a few more minutes on  medium speed. You’ll end up with a light, fluffy, amazingly delicious chocolate frosting that will knock your socks off!

Hopefully these will turn out to be a big hit at the wedding tonight! Smile

Question for the Afternoon:

Frosting: What’s your all-time favorite?

1. Amy says

Oh man, that looks DELICIOUS! I think you could probably put that on broccoli and it would still taste good…

Hope your weekend is wonderful, Courtney!! :)

2. SARAH says

Hi Courtney!

Do you keep the cupcakes refrigerated? I also make buttercream frosting with milk and don’t know whether or not they need to be refrigerated?

Cupcakes look delicious!!

I’ve never made chocolate buttercream because the melting and cooling chocolate process always makes me think I’ll mess up and end up with some weird ganache-like frosting. If I ever get over that fear, this is definitely the recipe I’m trying.
    Evan Thomas recently posted..Southwestern Stovetop Frittata

I’m not normally a fan of homemade frosting because it doesn’t compete with the Betty Crocker kind (I’m obsessed) but this looks like it may be worth the extra effort! Enjoy the wedding :-)
    Khushboo recently posted..High 5′s

Yum!! Those look amazing.

This is me being a complete blonde, but I don’t care. You mean 4 and 1/2 cups of powdered sugar, right? Not 4, 1/2 cups (which would be 2 cups)?

Yes, I know stupid question … but I may want to use this recipe, and I wouldn’t want to make a silly mistake!!! 😛 (I mean, my blog is called NOT-SO domesticated … I’m still working on it haha!)
    Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..An explanation and “Whatcha Reading.”

6. Jennifer says

Thanks Courtney! I’m so not a baker but I’m going to give this a whirl! About how many cupcakes will this recipe frost?

• Courtney says

Depending on how much you use per cupcake, probably 1-2 dozen. I tend to get a little heavy handed, so for me, it’s probably closer to 1 dozen 😉

7. Sona says

This recipe came out really smoothe and I loved it I just decided not to put that much sugar and instead of melted chocolate I used coco powder which worked just as well. Thank you so much for this recipe.

Hi, I carnt find unsweetened chocolate… I’ve looked online for substitutions and it says you can use: 3 level tablespoons unsweetened or Dutch-process cocoa powder and 1 tablespoon butter, margarine or shortening for every 1-ounce unsweetened baking chocolate.

Would that substitution work for this buttercream?